PDA

View Full Version : A Gift from Iraq to Brian Anderson

Deuce
06-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Before I tell the tale, let me start by saying that up until recently I had no intention of writing this post. Though it did pass through my mind at times, I felt that writing about the gift would cheapen the thought. And though I fear it still will, I also think that it is important to lift one of our own up when they are down. So here goes...

As many of you know, my wife, Lt. Deuce (now a Captain), was recently deployed in Baghdad with the US Air Force. She is also the biggest White Sox fans I have ever known. In 2005, we decided to go down to Spring Training to watch the Pale Hose in action. The place was relatively empty that day, so we had some great seats along the first base line. When the players came out to stretch, Maurice and I went down to the sidelines to talk with some of them. My wife however, who still views baseball players as some kind of minor deities, refused to come down and socialize.

So, there we were when Brian Anderson comes out and starts signing balls. Now, my wife and I had a quality MLB baseball for signing, but we forgot it at home. So, as Brian came by, I asked if he would give me a ball once he finished warming up. Hearing that my wife was in the military and a huge Sox fan, he agreed. Fifteen minutes later, after warming up, Brian started running out onto the field, turned, picked up a ball and gave it to my wife. I only wish I had a camera to catch the look on her face. She looked like a kid in a candy store. The next game, she gained enough courage to come down and get signatures with us. When Brian came by, he talked with us for a bit and signed the ball he gave us the previous day. Since then, Brian Anderson has been our favorite player to root for.

For the remainder of the year, we followed Brian in the minors and the majors. We thoroughly enjoyed seeing his reactions during the playoffs and were extremely happy he was able to be a part of that magical season. Three weeks after the Sox won the World Series, my wife deployed to Iraq.

As Spring Training approached, my wife asked me if I would do her a favor. She wanted to thank Brian for giving her the ball and all, so she asked if I would hand him a gift. I agreed, and in the mail I received a flag that was flown over the American Embassy in Baghdad. Now, just so you know, this isn't like getting a flag they fly over the Capital Building. The US does not fly the Stars and Stripes over the Embassy, for numerous (and good) reasons. However, she was able to get permission to access the roof of the building and fly a flag herself (not a very "safe" thing to do, mind you). For proof, she took the following picture and enclosed it along with a note and the flag.

Being a coward at heart, I dreaded giving the gift for some time. Let's face it, I didn't know how he would react given the state of the war and I surely didn't want to make a scene. So, for weeks, I practiced what I would say. When the day finally came, I was heartbroken. The team didn't come out till just before the lineup was called, and I didn't get a chance to give him the flag. After the game, I figured that I would have to wait another day to give it to him, when Maurice looked over and noticed Brian still in the dugout. I ran up to the dugout and caught him as he was heading to the clubhouse.

When he came by, he motioned as if to reach for something to sign when I handed him the flag and began my well rehearsed speech. Nervous as all heck, I stopped for a second to gage his reaction. He looked at the flag wide-eyed and said "cool!" That really settled me down. I was able to finish the story. He thanked me and my wife for the gift, shook my hand, and wished her a safe return. In all the excitement, I forgot to take a picture. Luckily, Maurice had my back. It was a great feeling to finally give the flag to him. I called my wife later in the day and she was overjoyed.

Well, that is the tale. And before you say it, I know it doesn't change his performance at bat so far this year. But there is something in Brian Anderson that makes him the guy we want to see on this team. He is a rookie, but he plays centerfield like a pro. And though his bat isn't all there yet, it is only two months into the season and there is room to make up the difference. He has what it takes to be a major leaguer, and we as Sox fans should stand up for him. And just as important, he is the type of person we want wearing a White Sox uniform. He cares about the team, he cares about the fans, and he is out there trying to do his best. He isn't an "experiment" to be abandoned. He is an investment that will pay out well for us in the long run.

I know he will get there. Keep up the faith.

Deuce

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1264/flag7hg.th.png (http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=flag7hg.png) http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/6648/anderson0wo.th.jpg (http://img70.imageshack.us/my.php?image=anderson0wo.jpg)

jenn2080
06-09-2006, 10:58 AM
:whiner:

What a great story! It is nice to hear a nice story and no complaining. I have met Brian a few times and he has ALWAYS been very cool My 8 yr old brother got his autograph and he shook my little brothers hand. Brian also hit a HR that day which made my brothers day. He was very excited that a player he met hit a HR while he was there. I think Brian is an all around good guy. Though he makes my blood boil a bit. He will come around.

jenn2080
06-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks for sharing that with us btw. Hopefully people dont turn this into a post on Brian Anderson needs to go.

Jjav829
06-09-2006, 11:02 AM
That's pretty cool. :thumbsup:

I don't think anyone doubts that BA is a great guy. He's already one of my favorite Sox players. I was going to buy an Anderson jersey a month or so ago but figured I would wait to make sure he's going to be around for a while first. I know that might be hard to believe since I'm always talking about replacing BA, but he really is one of my favorite players. Hopefully he will eventually make the adjustments to major league pitching and be our CF for the next 10 years.

Anyways, good story.

IlliniSox4Life
06-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Excellent story, and I hope your wife is doing well.

Dan Mega
06-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Excellent story! Thanks for sharing!

Zisk77
06-09-2006, 11:19 AM
I wonder if this board existed in '90, how many of us would have been screaming to demote Robin Ventura? Only Robin's defense kept him in the bigs that year. And as this is my firts reply on this board, Hello all :) .

Deuce
06-09-2006, 11:23 AM
I wonder if this board existed in '90, how many of us would have been screaming to demote Robin Ventura? Only Robin's defense kept him in the bigs that year. And as this is my firts reply on this board, Hello all :) .:welcome: to WSI!

Sox-o-matic
06-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Nice story. Much better than going to the Vatican and getting holy water for the Cubs.

Frater Perdurabo
06-09-2006, 11:30 AM
:threadrules:

Thank you for sharing the story, Deuce! Let's hope your wife can come home VERY soon, and along with the rest of us can watch the rest of the season with Anderson playing his spectacular defense while bringing his hitting up to where we all want it to be!

digdagdug23
06-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Great story, thanks for the share.

Many heartfelt thanks to your wife for her courage and we will keep the faith.

May her return be swift.

Deuce
06-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the well-wishes, guys. My wife returned home safe and sound a few weeks ago. Amazingly enough, she was originally scheduled to deploy in September, which scared the heck out of her because she would have missed the end of the season. Luckily, the baseball gods moved her "bucket" over to the end of November and we were able to watch the Series together.

Deuce

CHEESESOXER
06-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Good luck to your wife and, I hope she'll be at many Sox games in the future.

When I see Anderson, I've always thought that he has a big facial resemblance to Redford in "The Natural".

Anyone else notice that?

Iwritecode
06-09-2006, 11:47 AM
I agreed, and in the mail I received a flag that was flown over the American Embassy in Baghdad. Now, just so you know, this isn't like getting a flag they fly over the Capital Building. The US does not fly the Stars and Stripes over the Embassy, for numerous (and good) reasons. However, she was able to get permission to access the roof of the building and fly a flag herself (not a very "safe" thing to do, mind you). For proof, she took the following picture and enclosed it along with a note and the flag.

Great story but I'm confused on this part. What flag does the US fly over the Embassy? Or do that not have one at all?

jongarlandlover
06-09-2006, 11:49 AM
That's a great story, thanks for sharing it! And I hope your wife is well and that she returns home soon.

I've always like Brian, he always seemed like such a nice, upbeat person. And that story just solidifies my opinion about him.

davenicholson
06-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Deuce,

There have been a lot of excellent posts here at WSI, and related to a lot of very cool circumstances. But in my 5 years or so here, this is the best of the best. Thanks for sharing, and please wish your wife Godspeed from me.

Dave

Dice
06-09-2006, 11:58 AM
That's a great story and I hope your wife never has to go back to Iraq.

As for Brian, I think we're all rooting for him to do well. But if a couple of games in minor leagues will do him good then it should be done. I trust Ozzie and Kenny's decision on his situation and they'll do what's best for the team and for Brian.

Unfortunately, the White Sox are pigon holed into this center field situation. Brian has the glove but the bats not there. Mackowiak has the bat BUT his fielding scares the **** outta me. No one on this team right now has the decent bat and decent fielding to play center field.

HebrewHammer
06-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Awesome story. Thank you for sharing.

Deuce
06-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Great story but I'm confused on this part. What flag does the US fly over the Embassy? Or do that not have one at all?Without getting into the politics of it, the American Embassy in Baghdad is not the permanent embassy, so they don't want to create a false image. Also, since it was one of Saddam's palaces, flying the US flag on it may rile up the locals.

My wife says it is a small price to pay for being able to use Saddam's pool. :redneck

Now back to talking White Sox baseball...

Fuller_Schettman
06-09-2006, 12:19 PM
God bless you and your wife! She is a true hero and I salute her!

Dancin' Homer
06-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Great story. Thanks for sharing. Very happy that your missus is home safe and belated congratulations on her promotion!

sox_fan_forever
06-09-2006, 12:46 PM
That is a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

gregp65
06-09-2006, 12:56 PM
This is a story that everyone should read. It sounds like you married a wonderful woman. Hope all is well for the two of you.

gobears1987
06-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Great story.

SoxSpeed22
06-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Great story, glad to hear that Capt. Deuce is safe. Hopefully BA can be inspired by this.

miker
06-09-2006, 01:49 PM
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1264/flag7hg.th.png (http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=flag7hg.png) http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/6648/anderson0wo.th.jpg (http://img70.imageshack.us/my.php?image=anderson0wo.jpg)
Thanks for the story and thanks to the Captain for her service!

Okay Brian, let's see what you really can do...

stillz
06-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Truly a great story. Thanks for sharing. Safe return for your brave wife. Hopefully, BA can straighten out his problems in Charlotte, and get back with the club quickly.

michned
06-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Wow, what a great story! That is the kind of post that should be a Sticky.

As for BA, he just has a way of talking with the fans that really brings out his personality. In Spring Taining this year, he was always cracking jokes with the fans during stretching. And next to AJ, he became my son's second favorite player. That says a lot about a guy who hasn't played a whole lot (yet).

beckett21
06-09-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm inspired just by reading that post.

Thanks for sharing, Deuce, and thank you to your wife for her service.

trailboss
06-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Great story but I'm confused on this part. What flag does the US fly over the Embassy?

I believe it's the Cuban flag. It used to be the German flag until they bombed Pearl Harbor.

:bandance:

whitesoxwilkes
06-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks to you for sharing, and thanks to CPT Deuce for her service to our country.

steveironcity
06-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Before I tell the tale, let me start by saying that up until recently I had no intention of writing this post. Though it did pass through my mind at times, I felt that writing about the gift would cheapen the thought. And though I fear it still will, I also think that it is important to lift one of our own up when they are down. So here goes...

As many of you know, my wife, Lt. Deuce (now a Captain), was recently deployed in Baghdad with the US Air Force. She is also the biggest White Sox fans I have ever known. In 2005, we decided to go down to Spring Training to watch the Pale Hose in action. The place was relatively empty that day, so we had some great seats along the first base line. When the players came out to stretch, Maurice and I went down to the sidelines to talk with some of them. My wife however, who still views baseball players as some kind of minor deities, refused to come down and socialize.

So, there we were when Brian Anderson comes out and starts signing balls. Now, my wife and I had a quality MLB baseball for signing, but we forgot it at home. So, as Brian came by, I asked if he would give me a ball once he finished warming up. Hearing that my wife was in the military and a huge Sox fan, he agreed. Fifteen minutes later, after warming up, Brian started running out onto the field, turned, picked up a ball and gave it to my wife. I only wish I had a camera to catch the look on her face. She looked like a kid in a candy store. The next game, she gained enough courage to come down and get signatures with us. When Brian came by, he talked with us for a bit and signed the ball he gave us the previous day. Since then, Brian Anderson has been our favorite player to root for.

For the remainder of the year, we followed Brian in the minors and the majors. We thoroughly enjoyed seeing his reactions during the playoffs and were extremely happy he was able to be a part of that magical season. Three weeks after the Sox won the World Series, my wife deployed to Iraq.

As Spring Training approached, my wife asked me if I would do her a favor. She wanted to thank Brian for giving her the ball and all, so she asked if I would hand him a gift. I agreed, and in the mail I received a flag that was flown over the American Embassy in Baghdad. Now, just so you know, this isn't like getting a flag they fly over the Capital Building. The US does not fly the Stars and Stripes over the Embassy, for numerous (and good) reasons. However, she was able to get permission to access the roof of the building and fly a flag herself (not a very "safe" thing to do, mind you). For proof, she took the following picture and enclosed it along with a note and the flag.

Being a coward at heart, I dreaded giving the gift for some time. Let's face it, I didn't know how he would react given the state of the war and I surely didn't want to make a scene. So, for weeks, I practiced what I would say. When the day finally came, I was heartbroken. The team didn't come out till just before the lineup was called, and I didn't get a chance to give him the flag. After the game, I figured that I would have to wait another day to give it to him, when Maurice looked over and noticed Brian still in the dugout. I ran up to the dugout and caught him as he was heading to the clubhouse.

When he came by, he motioned as if to reach for something to sign when I handed him the flag and began my well rehearsed speech. Nervous as all heck, I stopped for a second to gage his reaction. He looked at the flag wide-eyed and said "cool!" That really settled me down. I was able to finish the story. He thanked me and my wife for the gift, shook my hand, and wished her a safe return. In all the excitement, I forgot to take a picture. Luckily, Maurice had my back. It was a great feeling to finally give the flag to him. I called my wife later in the day and she was overjoyed.

Well, that is the tale. And before you say it, I know it doesn't change his performance at bat so far this year. But there is something in Brian Anderson that makes him the guy we want to see on this team. He is a rookie, but he plays centerfield like a pro. And though his bat isn't all there yet, it is only two months into the season and there is room to make up the difference. He has what it takes to be a major leaguer, and we as Sox fans should stand up for him. And just as important, he is the type of person we want wearing a White Sox uniform. He cares about the team, he cares about the fans, and he is out there trying to do his best. He isn't an "experiment" to be abandoned. He is an investment that will pay out well for us in the long run.

I know he will get there. Keep up the faith.

Deuce

Thank your wife for me, the sacrifice she has made for us.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Great story Duece and thank your wife for her great service to America.

Thanks for sharing this story as well as to most WSI members for keeping this thread within WSI standards.

And some new-mown chaperone was standin' in the corner all alone watchin' the young girls dance
And some fresh-sown moonstone was messin' with his frozen zone to remind him of the feeling of romance

Yeah he was blinded by the light
Cut loose like a deuce another runner in the night
Blinded by the light
He got down but he never got tight, but he's gonna make it tonight

paciorek1983
06-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks to you for sharing, and thanks to CPT Deuce for her service to our country.

Yep!:cool:

Deuce
06-09-2006, 11:15 PM
What happens if BA is against the war and occupation of Iraq?He could be. And if he is, then it was mighty nice of him not to make it an issue when I gave him the flag. I was so nervous, if he would have said something, I probably would have thrown up. :D:

Another funny BA story: Maurice and I were at the Minni game where Brian hit his first homer of the year. When he took the field the following inning, Maurice and I stood up and started a standing "O" that spread like wildfire. Brian turned to us, nodded in recognition, pointed to his wrist and mouthed "it's about time I hit one." Those who saw it broke out in laughter.

By the way, Capt. Deuce sends her thanks and is very happy that the Sox won today. We'll see you all tomorrow at the game. I'll be the one in Section 102 standing up yelling "Hey Brian!" before the game starts. And the embarrassed woman at my side, acting as if she doesn't know me, will be Capt. Deuce. :redneck

Deuce

nasox
06-09-2006, 11:37 PM
He could be. And if he is, then it was mighty nice of him not to make it an issue when I gave him the flag. I was so nervous, if he would have said something, I probably would have thrown up. :D:

Another funny BA story: Maurice and I were at the Minni game where Brian hit his first homer of the year. When he took the field the following inning, Maurice and I stood up and started a standing "O" that spread like wildfire. Brian turned to us, nodded in recognition, pointed to his wrist and mouthed "it's about time I hit one." Those who saw it broke out in laughter.

By the way, Capt. Deuce sends her thanks and is very happy that the Sox won today. We'll see you all tomorrow at the game. I'll be the one in Section 102 standing up yelling "Hey Brian!" before the game starts. And the embarrassed woman at my side, acting as if she doesn't know me, will be Capt. Deuce. :redneck

Deuce

I was at a Saturday day game against the Angels last year where we got our asses handed to us (something like 10-5). The reserves were brought out (it was 10-2 or so) and BA was playing. A lot of people had left so my dad and I moved down to the second row of the outfield (we were in section 100). After an inning, BA through a ball up to the stands that landed EXACTLY where we were sitting before we moved. Therefore, we didn't get it, but some random Sox fan got it. It happened to be his birthday, so it wasn't all bad. But DAMN!

Anyway, that's the end of my thread hijack.

IlliniSox4Life
06-10-2006, 12:03 AM
You see, this is exactly what I feared would happen. Thanks for killing the thread, SluggersAway. I really appreciate you completely missing the point of the post and making it into everything it wasn't. :(:
Hopefully he will be banned and the parts of this thread regarding his political hijack will be roadhoused and not the rest of it.

The fact is, there is nothing political about the story, SluggersAway. The flag is a symbol of our country on the same line that United States currency is. It has no policy behind it nor does the flag favor one party. Unless you think using currency is a sign of being political, than you really have no valid point about this being political.

Deuce's wife went through extraordinary lengths to give a gift to a player she admired because of her previous encounter with him. This has nothing to do with the government and everything to do with the White Sox.

SluggersAway
06-10-2006, 12:11 AM
Unless you think using currency is a sign of being political, than you really have no valid point about this being political.
You should look up the history of the gold standard as a medium of exchange. Or, the history of the Federal Reserve starting in 1913, the history of the Second Bank of the United States in 1816, and the history of the First Bank of the United States in 1791.

IlliniSox4Life
06-10-2006, 12:17 AM
You should look up the history of the gold standard. Or, the history of the Federal Reserve starting in 1913, the First Bank of the United States in 1791, and the Second Bank of the United States in 1816.

You know what, you're right. Also, baseball has been called our National Pastime for over a hundred years. So there's no point in discussing baseball or the White Sox here as a result. Looks like we can all just leave now. It's been nice knowing all of you!

DANSOX67
06-10-2006, 08:23 AM
Great story- glad to hear your wife is safe and sound- she deseves our thanks- by the way - did you all see the catch BA made last night- just saw it on sports center- later - gotta go watch The World Cup:gulp:

paciorek1983
06-10-2006, 08:50 AM
I know you are trying to be cute and witt, but this is EXACTLY what is wrong with you. You are taking out of posts what you want them to say and not what they say. There were no politics in the original post, and nasox certainly didn't mean to call you a jewel.

EDIT: I'm done in this thread. I certainly didn't mean to encourage thiis by acknowledging him and apologize to Deuce for distracting from the original meaning of this thread.

Unfortunately, some people try to turn everything into a political issue, it's really sickening.

Great story- glad to hear your wife is safe and sound- she deseves our thanks- by the way - did you all see the catch BA made last night- just saw it on sports center- later - gotta go watch The World Cup:gulp:

Yes that was a great catch. As much as his bat sucks right now, I think we have to stick with him. Whenever he does break out of this funk, it only make the team that much better.:smile:

white sox bill
06-10-2006, 08:58 AM
Not a fan of politics....so no comment there. Great story Deuce, kudos to her for her service, you for marrying such a fine woman and to BA for his appreciation.

SectionBNole
06-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Too cool! Awesome story!

XplodingScorbord
06-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Capt. Deuce, it's an honor to share White Sox fandom with you! Thanks for your service! And Deuce, thanks for sharing a good story about a good guy who plays center field for our beloved.