PDA

View Full Version : Walker named Triple-A hitting coach

Jerry_Manuel
02-05-2002, 06:21 PM
CHICAGO -- Former Chicago White Sox first baseman Greg Walker has been hired as the hitting coach of the organization's Class AAA affiliate Charlotte Knights of the International League. The announcement was made this afternoon by Bob Fontaine, White Sox director of player development.

"We are thrilled to have a former big-league hitter of Greg's reputation and character assist our young players in their development," said Fontaine. "It was extremely important to us that he is a former White Sox star player who understands the direction in which the organization is heading and what we are trying to accomplish. He will be a perfect fit in Charlotte."

Walker, 42, spent his nine-year major-league career with the White Sox (1982-90) and Baltimore (1990), batting .260 (746-2,864) with 113 home runs and 444 RBI. He ranks ninth on the White Sox all-time list in slugging percentage (.453) and home runs. The left-handed hitting first baseman suffered a life-threatening seizure during batting practice on July 30, 1988. Since his retirement in 1990, Walker has worked in private business and also assisted the White Sox with Fantasy Camps and the Instructional League in 2000.

"The White Sox organization has always been like family," said Walker. "I'm really excited to be presented with this opportunity and look forward to helping hitters understand what it takes to reach and succeed in the major leagues."

Walker hit 20-plus home runs in a season three times with the White Sox and twice drove in more than 90 runs. He appeared in 118 games as a rookie in 1983, batting .270 with 10 home runs and 55 RBI for the American League West division champions. Walker hit a career-high .294 with 24 home runs and 75 RBI in 1984 and followed with 24 homers and 92 RBI in 1985. He established career highs of 27 home runs and 94 RBI in 1987.

Originally signed by the Philadelphia Phillies in 1977, Walker was left unprotected and later signed by the White Sox in the December 1979 minor league draft. He led the White Sox Class AA Glen Falls affiliate to the Eastern League championship in 1981, while leading the league in hits (163), runs (117), total bases (266) and doubles (33).

wulfy
02-06-2002, 08:43 AM
Great .... a career .260 hitter who averaged 14 homers a year teaching the kids how to hit.

I'd rather have Lamar Johnson's ample behind teaching them.

rdivaldi
02-06-2002, 09:23 AM
Don't fall into the trap of judging the ability of a hitting coach by his major league numbers.

Walt Hriniak is a good one, and his lifetime average is .253, and he only played for 2 seasons.

Sometimes those who can't do, teach, and actually succeed.

Meatpants
02-06-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
Don't fall into the trap of judging the ability of a hitting coach by his major league numbers.

Agreed. Now if we could only hire Mike Squires...... :smile:

mike squires
02-06-2002, 10:20 AM
growing up in indiana i was only able to attend one or two games a year. i'll never forget the one in 88. we arrived only to find out that dan pasqua had been inserted at first base instead of walker. we were all wandering what the hell was going on. i didn't find out until later that walker had had the seizure. walker like harold was always a class act and i think he could have a couple more good years. his swing was absolutly perfect much like will clarks. there was a nice peice on walk in sports illustrated talking about that day. herm saved his life that day by chipping his tooth so he could get to his toungue so he would not choke. i think he'll do a good job and even make it to the bigs as a coach one day.

czalgosz
02-06-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by wulfy
Great .... a career .260 hitter who averaged 14 homers a year teaching the kids how to hit.

I'd rather have Lamar Johnson's ample behind teaching them.

Greg Walker had the sweetest swing I ever saw on a ballplayer. If you ever saw him hit, you'd know why they hired him to be a hitting coach.

Nellsin
02-06-2002, 11:14 AM
When I saw this thread that's exactly what I first thought of, that swing of Walker's was pure pleasure to watch. A thoroughly nice guy too. He may make a great coach.

duke of dorwood
02-06-2002, 12:32 PM
This is a good move. Period.

:keith

I loved his uniform number too

wulfy
02-06-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Greg Walker had the sweetest swing I ever saw on a ballplayer. If you ever saw him hit, you'd know why they hired him to be a hitting coach.

I've seen him hit and swing .... so what? Is that the qualifications of a hitting coach? He has virtually no experience, and he's going to sent to work with the up and coming hitters in the organization (Harris, Bouchard, Crede).

This job may be more important than the major league hitting coach, yet we "reached" for this appointment.

Daver
02-06-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by wulfy

I've seen him hit and swing .... so what? Is that the qualifications of a hitting coach? He has virtually no experience, and he's going to sent to work with the up and coming hitters in the organization (Harris, Bouchard, Crede).

This job may be more important than the major league hitting coach, yet we "reached" for this appointment.

I don't see how you can qualify that.

Von Joshua was a better than good hitting coach that suffered from one players poor work ethic,yet he couldn't hit a lick when he played the game.A hitting instructor does not mean you were a star hitter in your career,Rod Carew is proof of this,it means you have the ability to help others by reinforcing what they are doing right instead of just pointing out what they are doing"wrong"in the opinion of the hitting coach.A good hitting instructor will know the mechanics of hitting,and how to convey a good sense of timing,and will spend time on pitch recognition,the rest is up to the player and his work ethic to apply what he has learned.Saying it was a bad move before seeing the job he does is just plain foolish IMHO.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

Dadawg_77
02-06-2002, 06:57 PM
My first favorite White Sox, Greg Walker. I still have a Starting Lineup figure of him. I think I liked him so much since we shared the same birthday.