PDA

View Full Version : Here's where the Sox suck

cburns
06-09-2006, 04:01 AM
Backup outfielders. I never thought I'd say this but I miss Timo Perez. Plus the bullpen. I really miss the alien that lived in Cliff Politte's body for the past year.

Chips
06-09-2006, 05:51 AM
Backup outfielders. I never thought I'd say this but I miss Timo Perez. Plus the bullpen. I really miss the alien that lived in Cliff Politte's body for the past year.
:hawk

Are you kidding me?

Miss Timo?:o:

HartmanSox
06-09-2006, 06:07 AM
Kenny will address the bullpen before the deadline hopefully.

doublem23
06-09-2006, 06:40 AM
The problem isn't that we don't have a back-up outfielder, we just don't have a starting center fielder right now.

munchman33
06-09-2006, 07:41 AM
The sox have a fine backup outfield in Mackowiak. They need a starting CF.

Mackowiak isn't good enough to start there everyday. And Brian Anderson isn't good enough to be on the roster (at least not yet, but I don't discount the chance that he'll never be).

The FOBA are going to tear into me for that last comment.

digdagdug23
06-09-2006, 07:50 AM

Mackowiak isn't good enough to start there everyday.

Mack cost us big time last night. You wanna play with the big boys you have to at least know basic fundamentals, like holding the runner to the bag when there isn't a snowball's chance in hell at saving a run at the plate. He makes playing CF look like a chore. I realize this is one of the toughest positions to play, but you have to be able to get good reads on the ball, react on the fly, and anticipate. Not run around looking like Fuller in CF. :neener:

TornLabrum
06-09-2006, 07:59 AM
Mack cost us big time last night. You wanna play with the big boys you have to at least know basic fundamentals, like holding the runner to the bag when there isn't a snowball's chance in hell at saving a run at the plate. He makes playing CF look like a chore. I realize this is one of the toughest positions to play, but you have to be able to get good reads on the ball, react on the fly, and anticipate. Not run around looking like Fuller in CF. :neener:

Once again, the Sox came north with three outfielders. One goes down for any reason, and there's bound to be trouble. Note to KW: You can call Mack or Ozuna outfielders all you want, but that doesn't make it so.

digdagdug23
06-09-2006, 08:05 AM
Once again, the Sox came north with three outfielders. One goes down for any reason, and there's bound to be trouble. Note to KW: You can call Mack or Ozuna outfielders all you want, but that doesn't make it so.

Which begs the question, I realize BA is a helluva CF, but what were his plate numbers in Spring Training? Was he that much stronger then and just couldn't get it together in the regular season and started to plummet, or was he struggling there, too? Were KW and Oz banking on the fact that the fielding was so solid the batting will come around?

Sad
06-09-2006, 08:09 AM
it's becoming more & more apparent Mackowiak is definitely not fine backup outfielder material... :rolleyes:

Hitmen77
06-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Which begs the question, I realize BA is a helluva CF, but what were his plate numbers in Spring Training? Was he that much stronger then and just couldn't get it together in the regular season and started to plummet, or was he struggling there, too?

BA was hitting over .300 in spring training.

Were KW and Oz banking on the fact that the fielding was so solid the batting will come around?

Yes. But, I'm guessing that their idea of BA struggling offensively this year was him hitting .220 - in which case they figured the rest of the offense and BA's defense would make up for that until his bat came around.

yesenia
06-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Mack cost us big time last night. You wanna play with the big boys you have to at least know basic fundamentals

I hope you arent a Brian Anderson supporter

digdagdug23
06-09-2006, 08:38 AM
I hope you arent a Brian Anderson supporter

Shouldn't this be tealed-up?

eriqjaffe
06-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Why is this even a topic for agrument? The backup outfielders are really backup infielders.

What the Sox could use would be a legitimate OF who can also play first base on occasion (like a replacement-level version of Lance Berkman, although I can't think of anybody off-hand who fits that description), and then they can let Ross Gload go play somewhere where he actually could get some playing time, the poor sap.

Heck, they should even be able to pick up some bullpen help in exchange for Gload - look at how cheap KW got Matt Thornton, for crying out loud.

This, of course, is completely independent of the fact that the Sox also need a real starting CF...

DaleJRFan
06-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Which begs the question, I realize BA is a helluva CF, but what were his plate numbers in Spring Training? Was he that much stronger then and just couldn't get it together in the regular season and started to plummet, or was he struggling there, too? Were KW and Oz banking on the fact that the fielding was so solid the batting will come around?

BA was hitting off of AA and AAA pitching in Spring Training - which is why he looked like he wouldn't miss a beat moving from AAA to MLB.

The Dude
06-09-2006, 09:58 AM

How can you compare Timo to Mac? Have you lost you mind????

alohafri
06-09-2006, 10:06 AM

No, the Sox have a fine backup INFIELDER in Mackowiak. He should not be playing the outfield unless it is an emergency. Sorry to say this, but either he or Ozuna has to go for a real backup outfielder.

White Sox Randy
06-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Ozuna should not be playing in the outfield.

Mackowiack should only be playing LF or RF.

The Sox were hoping that Anderson's offense would be fair. If he could stay above .200 with a little pop, that would be enough to keep him here.

Sadly, he can't even do that right now. Unfortunately, the Sox now need another centerfielder and there isn't one in the minors.

This is a tough spot to be in right now. I'm actually wishing we had Joe Borchard for a minute.

Jjav829
06-09-2006, 11:07 AM

How would Timo Perez help us in center? He was awful in center.

Jjav829
06-09-2006, 11:10 AM
it's becoming more & more apparent Mackowiak is definitely not fine backup outfielder material... :rolleyes:

Actually, it's the opposite. It's becoming more apparent that he is fine back-up outfielder material, but probably not much more. This is what happens with a lot of good utility guys. It's just like Ozuna. People love what Ozuna does now in his utility role, but the minute we start running Ozuna out there in an everyday role he will be exposed. He's a good bench player, but not much more. Well, that's kind of what Mackowiak is. He's a good super-utility guy who can fill in at several positions and swing the bat a little, but now that he has an everyday job, he's being exposed as a player without a position.

mjharrison72
06-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Actually, it's the opposite. It's becoming more apparent that he is fine back-up outfielder material, but probably not much more. This is what happens with a lot of good utility guys. It's just like Ozuna. People love what Ozuna does now in his utility role, but the minute we start running Ozuna out there in an everyday role he will be exposed. He's a good bench player, but not much more. Well, that's kind of what Mackowiak is. He's a good super-utility guy who can fill in at several positions and swing the bat a little, but now that he has an everyday job, he's being exposed as a player without a position.
My sentiments, too... the team is strongest with Mack coming off the bench, not Mack in the regular starting lineup.

I've been sort of hiatus recently... have people really killed the Move-Pods-To-Center argument, or does anyone else think that's worth a shot for the time being, with Mack in LF?

oscars gamble
06-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Would it make sense to start Pods in center and Mac in left? Mac is clearly a corner outfielder and probably superior to Pods defensively in left. Although, Pods is not a great outfielder, he did play center for 2 years in Milwaukee.

With his speed he may be able to track down more balls in center than Mac.

I never saw him play center in Milwaukee so I can not say how bad or good he was at it. However, I would venture to guess he would be better suited to play it than Mac.

Just a thought.

fuzzy_patters
06-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Would it make sense to start Pods in center and Mac in left? Mac is clearly a corner outfielder and probably superior to Pods defensively in left. Although, Pods is not a great outfielder, he did play center for 2 years in Milwaukee.

With his speed he may be able to track down more balls in center than Mac.

I never saw him play center in Milwaukee so I can not say how bad or good he was at it. However, I would venture to guess he would be better suited to play it than Mac.

Just a thought.

Statistics do not always tell the whole story so take this for what it's worth, but Podsednik has a career range factor per nine innings of 2.62. The league average is 2.52, which suggests that he has better than average range in center. http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/podsesc01.shtml

White Sox Randy
06-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Could Pods be worse than Mack in center ?

Apparently, Ozzie must think so or why would he not put him there ? I know they don't like Pods' arm.

Frater Perdurabo
06-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Statistics do not always tell the whole story so take this for what it's worth, but Podsednik has a career range factor per nine innings of 2.62. The league average is 2.52, which suggests that he has better than average range in center. http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/podsesc01.shtml

I'm glad you wrote that "statistics do not always tell the whole story," because I agree completely. Pods may have good range because he's so fast, but that doesn't mean he gets great reads or positions himself well before the ball is in the air.

Berkules
06-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Let's just trade for Lastings Milledge.

Bill Naharodny
06-09-2006, 12:31 PM
What's Daryl Boston up to?

ode to veeck
06-09-2006, 12:46 PM
This is a tough spot to be in right now. I'm actually wishing we had Joe Borchard for a minute.

Bite your tongue. I think BA should be in there more than the 20 odd ABs he's had since mid May

Hitmen77
06-09-2006, 01:16 PM
What's Daryl Boston up to?

funny you should mention his name because I just saw his name mentioned in an article this morning. He's a minor league coach somewhere or something like that. I don't remember where I saw that article.

Chicken Dinner
06-09-2006, 01:20 PM
funny you should mention his name because I just saw his name mentioned in an article this morning. He's a minor league coach somewhere or something like that. I don't remember where I saw that article.

It was in the Trib saying that he was helping out Mack before yesterdays game.

Bill Naharodny
06-09-2006, 02:19 PM
It was in the Trib saying that he was helping out Mack before yesterdays game.

You have got to be kidding me. That's too much. Alright, Daryl Boston's on the case. Everything's going to be okay.

And if it isn't, what's Ron LeFlore up to?

miker
06-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Holy cow, if some people think Mac is bad in center...:rolleyes:

LeFlore made that short list of outfielders famous for having flyballs hit them in the head.

roadrunner
06-09-2006, 02:36 PM
I've seen enough of Mack in CF. I would be in favor of moving pods to center if that meant picking up someone to play LF. It may be easier to find a corner outfielder for LF than it would be to find an everyday CF. I'm wondering what it would take to get Carl Crawford. That would be sick. Crawford and pods hitting 1/2 with Iguchi moved to lower in the order either 6, 7 or 8 depending on who's pitching. That would make our lineup so much stronger from top to bottom.

getonbckthr
06-09-2006, 02:40 PM
I've seen enough of Mack in CF. I would be in favor of moving pods to center if that meant picking up someone to play LF. It may be easier to find a corner outfielder for LF than it would be to find an everyday CF. I'm wondering what it would take to get Carl Crawford. That would be sick. Crawford and pods hitting 1/2 with Iguchi moved to lower in the order either 6, 7 or 8 depending on who's pitching. That would make our lineup so much stronger from top to bottom.
Oooh dangerous move. I have been pushing for Carl for a while and each time I get shot down.

oscars gamble
06-09-2006, 03:33 PM
You have got to be kidding me. That's too much. Alright, Daryl Boston's on the case. Everything's going to be okay.

How bout Rudy Law? Lance Johnson, Or my all time favorite Leo Sutherland.

eriqjaffe
06-09-2006, 03:45 PM
LeFlore made that short list of outfielders famous for having flyballs hit them in the head.I was at that game!

It was the White Sox vs. the Red Sox, featuring a give-away of Tube Sox sponsored by Clorox.

Unfortunately, our seats were right in the right-field corner, and we couldn't see the deep part of center from where we sat, so nobody near us had any idea what was happening until word filtered around from other parts of the park.

Bill Naharodny
06-09-2006, 03:46 PM
How bout Rudy Law? Lance Johnson, Or my all time favorite Leo Sutherland.

I think that Jim Landis, in whatever his present condition, could play centerfield better than Leapin' Rob Mackowiak. And I think a pre-game contest between the two would fill the Cell. I might e-mail Brooks Boyer about this idea.

Thinking along the same lines, I just want to add that Art Kusyner would be better in center than Pablo Ozuna. That e-mail will go to Ozzie Guillen.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-09-2006, 04:10 PM
Bite your tongue. I think BA should be in there more than the 20 odd ABs he's had since mid May

23 At Bats (3 walks make it 26 plate appearances) in 21 games will not allow anyone an opportunity to break out of a slump, let alone a struggling rookie.

I like Ozzie's patience with the starters (leaving them in at times to let them work out of it / build confidence) but Anderson seems to be in Ozzie's doghouse for whatever reason. I don't know how you pull the plug this early in the season. If the Sox had a viable replacement that would be one thing but the lack of one makes this decision even worse.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Our problem is Pods at the moment. He just can't play hurt. His batting average is in a free fall and Ozzie refuses to put him in CF. Both an indication IMO he is trying to play while hurt. Amazing how his offense affects everyone else so much. Let's get him healthy, even if it costs 15 days on the DL, and he'll be the sparkplug again.