PDA

View Full Version : I'm Sorry, but

Gremlin3
06-09-2006, 12:48 AM
I don't post on here much, but I just I had to say something. I was just watching wgn and just saw a comercial for the SOX and cubs and the tagline was "For the world Champions on the South Side and the world renowned on the Notrth side, watch wgn."
I do not want to appear to be flubsessed, but that is just ridiculous.

IlliniSox4Life
06-09-2006, 01:06 AM
I've heard them say that often on WGN commercials. Pretty ridiculous, but it actually is kind of a put down to the Cubs. At least from my eyes.

Banix12
06-09-2006, 01:20 AM
I've heard them say that often on WGN commercials. Pretty ridiculous, but it actually is kind of a put down to the Cubs. At least from my eyes.

I kind of agree, they are only world renowned for playing horrible baseball over a long period of time.

BNLSox
06-09-2006, 01:21 AM
I agree. Its a putdown to the cubs. They have national attention, and not a lot to go with it. But people love them, whether its dumb or not thems the facts.

TornLabrum
06-09-2006, 07:57 AM
I agree. Its a putdown to the cubs. They have national attention, and not a lot to go with it. But people love them, whether its dumb or not thems the facts.

There's a difference between being renowned and being notorious. Channel 9 used the wrong word.

"The world champion White Sox and the notoriously bad Chicago Cubs."

DrCrawdad
06-09-2006, 08:21 AM
There's a difference between being renowned and being notorious. Channel 9 used the wrong word.

Here! Here!

Deuce
06-09-2006, 09:32 AM

"The world champion White Sox and the notoriously bad Chicago Cubs."Somewhere out there, Hangar is smiling.

rwcescato
06-09-2006, 09:37 AM
I don't post on here much, but I just I had to say something. I was just watching wgn and just saw a comercial for the SOX and cubs and the tagline was "For the world Champions on the South Side and the world renowned on the Notrth side, watch wgn."
I do not want to appear to be flubsessed, but that is just ridiculous.

I heard that today too and almost gagged. They have to put World in their somehow for their beloved team. What a joke.
Rich

Hitmen77
06-09-2006, 09:49 AM
renowned adj : widely known and esteemed;

Just being famous does not equal "renowned". You have to be famous AND good at something. Would you call Stallone a "renowned actor"? Is Castro a "renowned dicator"? Was the Edsel a "renowned" car?

All of these things are famous - as are the Cubs. But to call any of these "renowned" is just laughable.

MarySwiss
06-09-2006, 09:50 AM

Now that has a real ring to it, TL! Pun intended.

Baby Fisk
06-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Comcast's station plugs are heinous. "Chicago's not a Sox town, Chicago's not a Cubs town, it's the Capital of Baseball."

Right now Chicago is the Capital of baseball because the World Champions reside there. What do the biggest losers in baseball contribute to that status? I wish each team had its own station so this kind of touchy-feely united crap could be purged forever.

cbotnyse
06-09-2006, 10:42 AM

Just being famous does not equal "renowned". You have to be famous AND good at something. Would you call Stallone a "renowned actor"? Is Castro a "renowned dicator"? Was the Edsel a "renowned" car?

All of these things are famous - as are the Cubs. But to call any of these "renowned" is just laughable.

I heard the world renowned actress, Paris Hilton is a big fan of the world renowned Chicago Cubs.

SBSoxFan
06-09-2006, 11:13 AM
I wish each team had its own station so this kind of touchy-feely united crap could be purged forever.

Unfortunately for awhile they did. Which is what led to this disparity in the first place, and the cubs' status as renowned.

TDog
06-09-2006, 01:31 PM
The Cubs play in a world renowned ballpark, as much as that irritates people who know it as a dump. I was in Dublin a couple of years ago talking to a man from Liverpool on a literary pub crawl. He had never been to America. He asked me about the ongoing cricket test between England and Australia, which I had seen a part of from my hotel before dinner. We got on the subject of golf and how anyone can play at St. Andrews. He compared it to a regular person playing football (soccer) in Wembly Stadium or baseball in Wrigley Field.

Blame marketing if you will, but that's what the Cubs do best.

miker
06-09-2006, 01:57 PM

I'm not sure the Tribune's A/V department is too far off on this. The Cubs are very popular around the World (shoot, so is soccer!) and that popularity makes them highly regarded in some circles. The fact that they suck at baseball doesn't seem to affect their owners or their fan base...in fact, they seem to enjoy it.

Contrast to the White Sox and their fans where it is a constant battle for respect or even our right to exist.

Hitmen77
06-10-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure the Tribune's A/V department is too far off on this. The Cubs are very popular around the World (shoot, so is soccer!) and that popularity makes them highly regard in some circles. The fact that they suck at baseball doesn't seem to affect their owners or their fan base...in fact, they seem to enjoy it.

Contrast to the White Sox and their fans where it is a constant battle for respect or even our right to exist.

The Cubs very popular? Yes.
The Cubs "highly regarded"? Ummmmm.....NO.

TDog
06-10-2006, 01:18 PM

The Cubs are highly regarded in countries where newspapers don't carry baseball standings.

bigfoot
06-11-2006, 09:37 PM

In some corners of the world McDonald's hamburgers are "renown" as a culinary delight.:tongue: