PDA

View Full Version : Trading Info

Lip Man 1
06-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Mark Gonzales in the Tribune tonight has the first published reports of potential trade partners with the White Sox and specific names.

His take: Williams will do something, the only question is when and what areas will he be looking at ( bullpen? CF??)

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060608gonzo,1,3597837.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

beckett21
06-08-2006, 11:55 PM
Some interesting names there.

Marlon Byrd is intriguing, but he hasn't proven much at the ML level yet so it would be a risky move. Clark/Kolb from Milwaukee would make a lot of sense IMO.

I'll continue to hold out hope for Carl Crawford, but I don't see that happening. Gathright is probably the odd man out in Tampa.

veeter
06-09-2006, 12:01 AM
How surreal would it be to get Aaron back? It's not going to happen, but the thought is cool.

chisoxmike
06-09-2006, 12:05 AM
How surreal would it be to get Aaron back? It's not going to happen, but the thought is cool.

Wow only 3 posts...

:thud:

BainesHOF
06-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Those names don't excite me.

GOGOGOPODS
06-09-2006, 12:09 AM
We need bullpen help first. Worry about the bullpen first before any thought to CF. Give BA some time. His glove in CF is too good to give up on him yet. He needs to get his head back in the game because he seems out of it now. He had solid numbers in AAA, just give the man some time

eurotrash35
06-09-2006, 12:18 AM
Call me crazy but I'm not freaking out over the bullpen anymore now that Politte, Logan, and Nelson are out of the picture. Thornton has come on strong and we have a couple of callups that are looking promising. I'll pass on any of those trades. If BA still can't get it together after a few weeks of playing every day I'd look into getting somebody worth a crap, not some marginal improvement.

oeo
06-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Call me crazy but I'm not freaking out over the bullpen anymore now that Politte, Logan, and Nelson are out of the picture. Thornton has come on strong and we have a couple of callups that are looking promising. I'll pass on any of those trades. If BA still can't get it together after a few weeks of playing every day I'd look into getting somebody worth a crap, not some marginal improvement.

I've been saying it for over a week now, the bullpen is not that bad. People are just overreacting over a few bad outings by Cotts, McCarthy, and Thornton. Those three guys will be solid, I guarantee it. Jenks has been solid all year, and I see know reason why he can't keep it up. If what Politte needs is some time off to at least become serviceable, we're in great shape. Especially if Tracey/Montero can step up. It wouldn't hurt to get another arm, and I hope Kenny does...but IMHO the bullpen has underachieved over the last few weeks and that's why people began to overreact.

If Kenny could spring a deal that would bring a centerfielder and a reliever over, that would be golden. Kolb/Clark sounds pretty good, what would it take to pry those two away from the Brew Crew?

lizard6king6
06-09-2006, 01:38 AM

Marlon Byrd is intriguing, but he hasn't proven much at the ML level yet so it would be a risky move. Clark/Kolb from Milwaukee would make a lot of sense IMO.

I'll continue to hold out hope for Carl Crawford, but I don't see that happening. Gathright is probably the odd man out in Tampa.

I would take gathright in center, great D and blazing speed on the base paths. he would compliment Pods well at the bottom of the order.

Beautox
06-09-2006, 01:40 AM
I would love to have Brady Clark + Matt Wise/Dan Kolb.

But what would we have to give up to get them?

i would assume Politte once he comes off the DL(retro active to June 5), and a top and mid level prospect. Anyone want to take a stab at it?

oeo
06-09-2006, 01:41 AM
I would take gathright in center, great D and blazing speed on the base paths. he would compliment Pods well at the bottom of the order.

His numbers aren't so great, but they could improve immensely hitting at the bottom of the order. I'd be willing to take a shot on him, as well. Though Clark/Kolb are very intriguing.

getonbckthr
06-09-2006, 01:54 AM
He isn't a great hitter.

STOP!!!!!

Banix12
06-09-2006, 02:05 AM

Gathright has already been demoted to AAA and doesn't really look like he'll be back anytime soon. He can probably be had.

Brewers aren't ready to trade yet I'll bet. They are another one of those teams looking to try and maybe get healthy and go on a run. Which isn't inconceivable in that division. In another month or so they might be willing to trade Clark and Kolb, Clark espeically.

rowand33
06-09-2006, 02:38 AM
a trade for Kolb and Clark would be fantastic. We get a right handed reliever who's having a good season, and we sort of get better defense than Mack and better offense than anderson in Clark plus speed.

I think that this is the best thing we could do (besides some sort of magical Ichiro + Rafael Soriano trade)

Bobbo35
06-09-2006, 08:11 AM

Rowand sounds nice, but that won't happen. Ya, those names do not have me excited.

munchman33
06-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Brady Clark makes a lot of sense. He's exactly the kind of role player we need.

Interesting bullpen options. I don't like Kolb outside of Milwaukee, I think the pressure would get to him. A deal with the Pirates for both Hernandez and Torres would fill our bullpen need nicely, but Soriano from the Mariners is the best guy listed.

digdagdug23
06-09-2006, 08:43 AM
Call me crazy but I'm not freaking out over the bullpen anymore

Okay, you're crazy.

:kneeslap:

I thought Tracey did pretty decent last night, he has a weird delivery, but was effective. I think this kid might be okay.

Hitmen77
06-09-2006, 09:12 AM

Ya, those names do not have me excited.

I hope you guys aren't expecting the Sox to trade for an all-star CF. That would be a pipe dream and would force us to hand over the farm.

Given the constraints of reality, I'd accept the Sox getting someone who can play halfway decent CF and is hitting at least in the .220s.

Right now the Sox are in a real quandry in CF. BA is floundering and needs to go back to AAA for a while to regroup. Our only other alternative is Mackowiak who is a defensive liabilty in CF and we have no one in the farm system as an option.

If the Sox are going to be contenders, they can't spend the entire season chasing their tail in CF - and that's what they're doing right now. BA will look totally lost at the plate and then Ozzie will start Mack instead and then, sure enough, we soon have a "game-deciding play" where people cry "BA would have had it!".... Uggghhh!!! Enough! We're not going back to the World Series playing keystone cops at CF.

BA is not going to improve sitting on the bench, or by only facing tough lefties. I think finding someone who can fill in at CF should be our top trade priority.

Sox-o-matic
06-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Soriano is the only name in that article that I'd really love to see on the South Side. Saloman Torres would be an interesting move though. If he can ever get it together he could be a dominant reliever. After trading Guerrier for Marte, getting the max out of Marte, and sending him back to Pitt, maybe we could do the same thing with Saloman?

Kolb kind of worries me, but a move like Dessens or Majewski would give us a decent option as last righty in the pen. The only problem with that is after watching Sean Tracey after only ONE outing, I am already more confident in him in that spot than I would be with Dessens or Majewski.

Byrd shouldn't even be mentioned. Clark wouldn't be much better than Mackowiak has been. Just because a guy plays CF doesn't mean he should play CF. For CF, its Mike Cameron or bust IMO. Hunter and Griffey will cost too much money, Crawford would cost top prospects, and Patterson's cost would outweigh the risk IMO. Anybody else is just another stopgap, not even a part time solution.

Jjav829
06-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Gathright has already been demoted to AAA and doesn't really look like he'll be back anytime soon. He can probably be had.

But really, why the hell would we want a guy who couldn't even last in the majors with the Devil Rays? :o: Gathright isn't that good. He's an athletic freak, but that's about it.

As for all the Clark stuff, as I said in my post about CF trade candidates a few weeks ago, I think there's a very good chance the Brewers will trade him once they are out of the race. They have Corey Hart and possibly Gabe Gross who could take over in center. Plus, Bill Hall absolutely has to be an everyday player once J.J. Hardy returns. Hall is having a monster year. They've tried him in center a few games this year. I saw a little of him and he looked uncomfortable, but I suppose it's possible that he could adjust in time.

Of course, we can't discount the possibility that they choose to trade Carlos Lee and keep Clark around. I would definitely go for a Clark/Kolb trade, if possible.

bennyw41
06-09-2006, 11:44 AM
What about Jeff Davanon or Randy Winn?

Sox-o-matic
06-09-2006, 12:34 PM
What about Jeff Davanon or Randy Winn?

Davanon is a bench player. We need a starter.

Winn could certainly cover CF here since he covered it in SafeCo but I don't know much about his arm. IIRC Winn was just signed to like a two or three year deal. Sabean IMO is the dumbest GM in the game. He either seems to grossly overvalue his own major leaguers or grossly undervalue his own minor leaguers. Think recent trades with the Twins for AJ and the Cubs for Hawkins.

IMO, if KW does any deal with the Giants it should be Politte for like three top prospects or something. That would seem like a Sabean move.

getonbckthr
06-09-2006, 01:08 PM
But really, why the hell would we want a guy who couldn't even last in the majors with the Devil Rays? :o: Gathright isn't that good. He's an athletic freak, but that's about it.

Usually I would agree not making it with the Drays is bad. However they have more outfielders than they know what to do with. They do however lack pitching and for that reason I think a Crawford for Mccarthy deal makes complete sense for both organizations. True that would set back one of our prospect outfielders but thats why we could use one of them to get relief help or after the season move someone to improve for next year.

Jjav829
06-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Usually I would agree not making it with the Drays is bad. However they have more outfielders than they know what to do with. They do however lack pitching and for that reason I think a Crawford for Mccarthy deal makes complete sense for both organizations. True that would set back one of our prospect outfielders but thats why we could use one of them to get relief help or after the season move someone to improve for next year.

I don't see Crawford going anywhere anytime soon. I don't get why people keep bringing up his name. And even if the D-Rays were to make Crawford available, he would cost a hell of a lot more than McCarthy. The bidding war between teams like the Yankees, Mets, Cardinals, etc. would drive the price to at least two top prospects/young, cheap major leaguers.

Lip Man 1
06-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Jjav:

Which is why Kenny needs to try to make something happen with anyone (not just the Rays) sooner rather then later.

The price of poker goes up the longer you wait.

Lip

06-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Guys and Gals we are 1.5 games out, and we have a 5-1 advantage over the first place team, there are many teams who would love to be in our shoes...in 2003 we needed a CF because Rowand (yes Rowand) sucked...in 2004 we needed a SP BAD so we traded away some real talent...all we need this year is a serviceable CF and bullpen help, not hard to find....we don't need Crawford or Griffey, we just need someone who can play the field and hold there own at the plate....Clark abd Kolb would be fine

munchman33
06-09-2006, 01:18 PM

So....say we get Gathright.....what's the worst he could do, be extremely athletic and fast in centerfield, play great defense, and hit .180?

If a worst case scenerio is getting what we're getting out of BA now, I don't see why this is a bad move.

And Gathright won't bat .180.

getonbckthr
06-09-2006, 01:31 PM
I don't see Crawford going anywhere anytime soon. I don't get why people keep bringing up his name. And even if the D-Rays were to make Crawford available, he would cost a hell of a lot more than McCarthy. The bidding war between teams like the Yankees, Mets, Cardinals, etc. would drive the price to at least two top prospects/young, cheap major leaguers.
Give up whatever prospects is neccesary. There is no guarentee that any will pan out. Give them Haegar or Liotta if they want. Give them Sweeney too if they want. An Outfield of Pods, Crawford and Dye would be unbelievable, then have Anderson come in for the 8th and 9th while sliding Crawford to LF. Tampa's problem is not offense their problem is pitching. I feel we can give 2-3 pitching prospects. I honestly think a package of Mccarthy, Haegar and Sweeney would be a good deal for Crawford.

rowand33
06-09-2006, 01:40 PM
the good thing about Gathright is that I don't think he'd cost very much.

He's never really been an offensive powerhouse though...

getonbckthr
06-09-2006, 03:14 PM
the good thing about Gathright is that I don't think he'd cost very much.

He's never really been an offensive powerhouse though...
He won't cost much cause he ain't worth much.

Flight #24
06-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Looking at stats, I wonder if the M's might be ready to give up on the great Jeremy Reed? He's not hitting well (but is still in the mid-200s), but provides excellent D in CF. So you'd get what you hoped to get out of Anderson this year, which is a bad but not horrible bat and great D.

How ironic would that be? Would the M's have any interest in Boone Logan?

socko82
06-09-2006, 03:45 PM
I don't think the Angels are looking to trade Shields but if you offered to take a bad contract off their hands if they were willing to move him...Like say Darin Erstad. You could fill both holes with 1 trade. Erstad is on a rehab assignment and is going to be activated next week. Not sure if KW would be allowed to take on that much payroll or if he's got what the Angels would be looking for, but one thing Kenny has shown is he can definitely get creative and is willing to move top prospects to win now. Of course the Angels would also have to tank over the next 2 weeks.

stillz
06-09-2006, 04:12 PM
My Twin fan co-worker suggests Torii Hunter for Brandon McCarthy - straight up. I told him this doesn't fit financially with Hunter's contract ending, but it would be sweet to have him in center for a couple months.

FedEx227
06-09-2006, 04:14 PM

Are you calling a guy a scout discovered jumping over cars, who hadn't played baseball until he was out of high-school nothing more then an athletic freak... oh yeah, he is.

I wouldn't mind him, but for people looking for an upgrade over Anderson, Gathright isn't going to be that. He hits just about, if not worse.

Banix12
06-09-2006, 06:03 PM

As for all the Clark stuff, as I said in my post about CF trade candidates a few weeks ago, I think there's a very good chance the Brewers will trade him once they are out of the race. They have Corey Hart and possibly Gabe Gross who could take over in center. Plus, Bill Hall absolutely has to be an everyday player once J.J. Hardy returns. Hall is having a monster year. They've tried him in center a few games this year. I saw a little of him and he looked uncomfortable, but I suppose it's possible that he could adjust in time.

Of course, we can't discount the possibility that they choose to trade Carlos Lee and keep Clark around. I would definitely go for a Clark/Kolb trade, if possible.

Never said I wanted Gaitright, but that he was probably available. I would take him as a reserve maybe, but not as a starting CF.

I could see both Lee and Clark going. It's actually possible that they could trade the whole OF, even though I doubt they trade Jenkins. They really like Corey Hart, they need to find time for Hall (or maybe Weeks in the OF if he continues to struggle at 2nd), and they have some other young OF that they like, Nelson Cruz and Tony Gwynn Jr are having fine seasons in Nashville.