PDA

View Full Version : Chad Cordero

Whitesox4ever
06-08-2006, 01:40 PM
I was reading that the Nationals will be having a fire sale soon and that Cordero is expected to be traded...

I would love for KW to go out and make a trade to get this guy to be our set-up man.

PatK
06-08-2006, 01:44 PM
That would be a nice pickup, but it's gonna be a costly one I'd imagine.

TheOldRoman
06-08-2006, 01:48 PM
I would love to get Cordero, but I don't see it happening.
He is in his third year of service time. That means the Nats still have his rights for three more years of arbitration. I don't know how much he will get in arbitration (if they dont agree to a deal), but it won't be a ridiculous amount. Washington finally has ownership, who looks willing to spend money. I don't think they will trade away one of their best players who they would have for three more years. They are trying to build a team and a fanbase. I think they are going to hang onto all their chips, other than guys in contract years.

DaleJRFan
06-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Cordero isnt going anywhere. He's REALLY young and is a top-end bullpen guy. That'd be like KW trading Cotts or Jenks if we sucked for a year.

Hawkeroo1980
06-08-2006, 01:57 PM
cordero sucks this year

TheOldRoman
06-08-2006, 02:03 PM
cordero sucks this year
28 IP, 2.93 ERA, 24 K, 11 BB, 11 of 13 in saves, 1.05 WHIP.

HORRIBLE.

Baby Fisk
06-08-2006, 02:10 PM
cordero sucks this year
Closers are as good as their team makes them. Last year, the Gnats burst out of the gates and by mid-season Cordero was on pace to topple Bobby Thigpen's saves record. But Washington fizzled in the second half and Cordero's save opportunities dried up.

Washington sucks out of the gate this year, and that's why Cordero isn't as prominent as he was in 2005.

My question is: How the heck can someone pitch when their cap is nailed down over their eyes like that?

Ol' No. 2
06-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Maybe we can get him for Ross Gload.

Dan Mega
06-08-2006, 02:25 PM

They ain't the Marlins.

jdm2662
06-08-2006, 02:34 PM

Only Jim Henry can make these types of trades.

Goose
06-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Only Jim Henry can make these types of trades.

Or Jim Hendry, but the Nats are not the Pirates.

TheOldRoman
06-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Or Jim Hendry, but the Nats are not the Pirates.
This message gets the Hangar18 seal of approval.:thumbsup:

Hawkeroo1980
06-08-2006, 03:31 PM
28 IP, 2.93 ERA, 24 K, 11 BB, 11 of 13 in saves, 1.05 WHIP.

HORRIBLE.

3.00 ERA's are not too outstanding for closers...you're thinking of starters

not too many K's if you consider what he did last year

he has been throwing meatballs all season. If you put him on the sox...then he will see alot more action and dry up quick

Basically expect out of him what happened to Guardado

Dan Mega
06-08-2006, 04:03 PM

he has been throwing meatballs all season. If you put him on the sox...then he will see alot more action and dry up quick

And Don Cooper will be his pitching coach...

Hawkeroo1980
06-08-2006, 04:07 PM
And Don Cooper will be his pitching coach...

Actually, as I pressed "ok" I thought........damn, cooper could straighten him out though.

i def. agree there

Lip Man 1
06-08-2006, 04:19 PM
If Codero becomes available you go after him with both barrels. No questions asked.

Lip

santo=dorf
06-08-2006, 07:35 PM

:rolleyes:

So I take it Jenks' isn't too outstanding with his 3.2 ERA?

Guardado has been trying to pitch through a torn rotator cuff as well.

caulfield12
06-08-2006, 07:47 PM
I canīt see why the Nationals would want to trade Cordero. To save money....well, they have plenty. Theyīre not a franchise in trouble.

They might try to deal a Jose Guillen, Vidro or Soriano type and get back a package of minor leaguers that are close to big-league ready, but I donīt see them giving up Cordero very easily.

If would take Fields or Valido and a second-tier starting prospect like Liotta or Tracey.

Banix12
06-08-2006, 08:21 PM
I want to know the source of this "fire sale" rumor is. I have a hard time believing that the new owner is going to gut the team. Especially since the team doesn't have much right now in the way of overly expensive talent anyway. I see Soriano being dealt, which has largely been expected, and not much else. Maybe some of the other vets as well but I'm thinking the new owner has other things to decide before going about making player personnel changes, like deciding on whether Bowden and Robinson are going to be in charge in the near future.

Before starting a fire sale it's probably good to make sure who is going to be responsible for building the team up from the ashes.

EDIT: have you taken a look at the players the Nationals currently have on the DL? 12 players right now including 9 pitchers.

Pitchers
Pedro Astacio
Luis Ayala
Zach Day
Ryan Drese
Joey Eischen
Brian Lawrence
John Patterson
Felix Rodriguez
Santiago Ramirez

Outfielders
Alex Escobar
Jose Guillen

Infielder
Christian Guzman

tweek57
06-08-2006, 08:33 PM

Closers with higher ERAs than Cordero:
Bobby Jenks
Ryan Dempster
Danys Baez
David Weathers
Huston Street
Jason Isringhausen
Francisco Rodriguez
Joe Borowski
Joseph Turnbow
Brad Lidge
Jose Valverde
Todd Jones
Chris Reitsma
Tyler Walker
Ambiorix Burgos

Hmm.

Banix12
06-08-2006, 08:48 PM
ERA is such a misleading stat when it comes to relievers. One really bad outing can really throw the whole think out of whack. Stats like WHIP are a much better gauge of the effectiveness of a pitcher. As TheOldRoman pointed out his WHIP is 1.05 which very good.