PDA

View Full Version : Questions about rotation? long

THE_HOOTER
02-05-2002, 05:23 PM
Hey fellas, long time no speak!

Anyway, there are no questions about our line up. Thomas is healthy and Ordonez, Valentin, Lee, Konerko, Lofton, and Durham will produce on high level.

However, there are so many questions with our pitching staff that I cannot give us the nod for the division already.

Parque is a question mark. If we all remember he could not get out of the 5th inning.

Buerhle should be solid again. This kid just seems to have the mental approach down along with great command.

Garland is still a question mark. Can he throw strikes during a pennant race?

Has anybody seen Ritchie pitch? I think I saw him last year, and he's average to above average.

Our rotation does not match up with ANY of the league's top teams.

Besides Foulke, the bullpen is a question mark as well. Howevr, we have so much depth that this doesn't bother me as much.

Thoughts??????????

NUKE_CLEVELAND
02-05-2002, 05:29 PM
At the risk of sounding cocky I think that if we get the hitting we got back in 2000 now that Hurt is healthy again we should have no problem winning the division. Our pitching staff is stronger than it was back in 2000 & if the hitting is there that should make for a formidable combo.

Chisox_cali
02-05-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER

Anyway, there are no questions about our line up. Thomas is healthy and Ordonez, Valentin, Lee, Konerko, Lofton, and Durham will produce on high level.

However, there are so many questions with our pitching staff that I cannot give us the nod for the division already.

Parque is a question mark. If we all remember he could not get out of the 5th inning.

Buerhle should be solid again. This kid just seems to have the mental approach down along with great command.

Has anybody seen Ritchie pitch? I think I saw him last year, and he's average to above average.

Besides Foulke, the bullpen is a question mark as well. Howevr, we have so much depth that this doesn't bother me as much.

Thoughts??????????

Garland really impressed me down the line last year he lowered his ERA to something like 3.67, not to shabby. I really think this will be a break-out year for him, Can he pitch down the strech in a pennant race? Only time will tell.

Ritchie had a horrible start last year but he did urn it around the second half of the year and I also think he almost got a no-hitter too.

I think the bullpen will be Ok this year we have A LOT of options to choose from.

Fisk Fan
02-05-2002, 05:32 PM
I've heard the so-called experts say that the staff will be made or broken by Jon Garland. While this may be true, I wonder if Ritchie can be the workhorse that everyone is expecting him to be.......

THE_HOOTER
02-05-2002, 05:42 PM
I am more concerned with Parque and Glover.

These two are shaky at best.

We could use a veteran.

Too bad we pissed off Tapani; he could probably give us a good first half at least.

Randar68
02-05-2002, 05:47 PM
I am more concerned with Parque and Glover.

These two are shaky at best.

We could use a veteran.

Too bad we pissed off Tapani; he could probably give us a good first half at least.

I'll give you three better options, even in a pennant race:

Rauch, Malone, Guerrier...

Soxboyrob
02-05-2002, 05:48 PM
I think there is reason to feel good about what Glover might bring to the table. Other than for a few miserable appearances (Chavez hitting one of the Rightcenterfield washroom door comes to mind), he was a very good pitcher last year. He didn't show the ability to last beyond 5 or 6 innings once made into a starter, but that may be something that can be adjusted. When Glover is on, he has devastating stuff (quoting Ed Farmer there).

I wouldn't rule out Parque making little to no positive impact on this year's club. Pitchers rarely come back strong from a year off due to major shoulder surgery. Expect Parque to be bounced back and forth between the bullpen and the starting rotation for some spot starts. Do not count on this guy being a major rotation contributor.

Garland is just plain good, when looking only at his talent. His success this year, I feel, will hinge strictly on his ability to control his nerves and get past the 5th or 6th inning. We all know he can be a dominant pitcher. The stuff is there. But is the mental makeup there.

Buehrle is Buehrle.

Ritchie ought to bring us about the same thing that Baldwin usually did, which is about 200 innings and a slightly better than .500 record......16-14?

As for a 5th starter....we have a lot of depth coming up out of our system and I think it's reasonable to expect one of those guys to rise to the occasion and present himself as a viable and quality starter. We've been hearing about all of this talented youth in our system. Let's see it! Maybe it's Ginter. Biddle? Guerrier? Rausch? I realize some of these guys are coming off injury and may be slated for bullpen work, but anything can happen and don't be surprised if a rookie comes out of spring training as a fifth starter.

AsInWreck
02-05-2002, 05:59 PM

Thoughts??????????
I personally think buerhle,garland and ritchie will make a strong front 3 and the rest of rotation i feel the same way you do about the bullpen w/ glover,parque,biddle,wright, and guys like rauch and malone further down the line, one or two of those guys should be able to do the job/I like wright more than apparently most do, I thought he looked good when I saw him, anyway, if just one of the above can pitch 6-7 innings a game and keep the sox in the game that'll give the sox a pretty good rotation imo