PDA

View Full Version : Terry Bevington

PKalltheway
06-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Well, I know most of the posters here are older than me so they can tell me about this. What exactly made Terry Bevington such a horrible manager? I'm too young to really remember and I didn't really start following the Sox until Jerry Manuel became manager.

dickallen15
06-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Besides the fact that all his players hated him, and he was/is a disgusting human being (when he got fired a writer saw him on the way out of the park and wished him well, Bevington told him he wished the guy a slow and painful death, I believe it was Joe Goddart), the only thing you really need to know is he went out to the mound once to remove a pitcher, and had no one warming up in the bullpen.

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Jerry Manuel gets a lot of flak on here (some of it justified). But Bevington made Manuel seem like a cross between Edison, Einstein and Casey Stengel.

TornLabrum
06-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Let's put it this way: He was such a good manager that 10 years after his tenure with the Sox, he has risen to the level (at only 49 years old) of managing the Edmonton Cracker Cats (Northern League). We saw him in Joliet a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.crackercats.ca/terrybevington1.htm

TornLabrum
06-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Besides the fact that all his players hated him, and he was/is a disgusting human being (when he got fired a writer saw him on the way out of the park and wished him well, Bevington told him he wished the guy a slow and painful death, I believe it was Joe Goddart), the only thing you really need to know is he went out to the mound once to remove a pitcher, and had no one warming up in the bullpen.

Don't forget the bugs bunny arguement with the umpire:

"I meant to say foul but I said fair...and...uh..."

downstairs
06-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Don't forget the bugs bunny arguement with the umpire:

"I meant to say foul but I said fair...and...uh..."

What's the story with that? I've heard *of* it, but no details. Anyone care to recap?

All of his other follies I remember well.

koch44
06-08-2006, 08:54 AM
What's the story with that? I've heard *of* it, but no details. Anyone care to recap?

All of his other follies I remember well.

http://northtonorth.com/pages/soundclips.shtml

Go down and click on Bevington.

The_Floridian
06-08-2006, 09:00 AM
:jaime

"Terry Bevington didn't get the offense to manufacture enough runs when I pitched. He was awful."

MeteorsSox4367
06-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Bevington was just not a nice human being and that, coupled with the fact that he didn't know a hell of a lot about baseball, sealed his fate.

He was once asked a question in a postgame news conference following a series about the team the Sox were scheduled to play next. If memory serves, it was California/Anaheim/Los Angeles.

In curtly answering the question, Bevington mentioned something that "I really don't know. I don't have crystal balls..."

Feel free to insert your own joke here.

White Sox Randy
06-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Terry Bevington would have definitely managed this team into third place.

I've never seen a manager act or look more confused than this guy.

The_Floridian
06-08-2006, 09:06 AM
In curtly answering the question, Bevington mentioned something that "I really don't know. I don't have crystal balls..."

Must....be....strong....

Must...not...get....banned....

tebman
06-08-2006, 09:11 AM
He was simply a mope who had no business managing a Major League ballclub. I never understood why Ron Schuler hired him and then stuck with him -- the players didn't like him, he made genuinely stupid mistakes, and he was a terrible public-relations guy. Other than that, he was great.

The examples that have already been posted are just a sampling of his congenital mopery. My favorite was from his initial press conference when his hiring was announced. He'd said he was confident that the team would do well and was asked why he thought so -- his response was (paraphrasing) "You want to know why I'm confident? I'm confident because...I'm confident." :?:

roylestillman
06-08-2006, 09:23 AM
I recall a live post game show from the Bullpen bar where he went on a Lee Elia style rant including including this observation: "Maybe if people would start coming to the ballpark we'd start winning." Classic chicken or the egg arguement. This guy was clueless.

PatK
06-08-2006, 09:38 AM
He did the lineup cards in calligraphy.

He had one of those womanly lap dogs and insisted it was a dog for a man's man.

And IIRC, when the Sox said he wasn't coming back, he whined that it wasn't up to the Sox, because he had an option, and he wanted to come back (the club had the option).

mccoydp
06-08-2006, 09:42 AM

Why stop at third? Fourth would be a good possibility.

Chisox1500
06-08-2006, 09:44 AM
The first time I heard Bevington speak he was a third base coach. He and then first base coach Doug Manselino (sp?) were being interviewed at Soxfest by old Sportschannel.

Not only by Bevington answer questions with nonsensical half thoughts, but he also did it with an open fly. He was and probably still is an ignorant Neanderthal.

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Terry Bevington deserved less respect than Dusty Baker! He never really took his job seriously. If Ozzie managed those teams in that fell short of Cleveland, they might've been in contention more!

ChiSoxLifer
06-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Is it ok if we just make this the era that shall not be spoken of?

My blood pressure is starting to rise.

Martinigirl
06-08-2006, 10:38 AM
I think he can be summed up with the phrase "Incompetent Ass."

Honestly, my dog would have been a better manager than Bevington.

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Schueler deserves disdain for hiring Bevington, but also the way he openly courted Jim Leyland to replace Bev, leaving Bevington twisting in the wind. Then, when Leyland turned down the Sox, Schueler acted like nothing had happened. What a great way to motivate your players to play for the guy, Ron.
:kukoo:

FielderJones
06-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Most Sox fans in the stands could have done a better job managing than Terry Bevington.

SOXPHILE
06-08-2006, 11:10 AM
I've also heard stories that, on more than one occasion, ol' Yosemite Sam would hammer down a few cans of beer after a game, then, would sit in the postgame press conference, constantly belching while trying to answer questions.

BainesHOF
06-08-2006, 11:13 AM
For the young fans out there, Bevington also went to the mound and signaled for a relief pitcher when no one was warming up. It was during a nationally-televised Saturday afternoon game. What a fiasco that was!

By the way, Manuel once almost did the same thing, except he realized his mistake about the time he was approaching the third-base line. It was his second trip to the mound so he would have to take the pitcher out. Manuel knew he screwed himself so he just meandered around the third-base line like a drunk, then meandered to home plate and starting talking nonsense to the confused home-plate umpire in a weird effort to save face. It somehow worked and he didn't have to remove the pitcher. I remember Mike Hargrove coming out to argue, to no avail.

34 Inch Stick
06-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Bevington was just not a nice human being and that, coupled with the fact that he didn't know a hell of a lot about baseball, sealed his fate.

He was once asked a question in a postgame news conference following a series about the team the Sox were scheduled to play next. If memory serves, it was California/Anaheim/Los Angeles.

Ask Julie Swieca, allegedly.

StillMissOzzie
06-08-2006, 11:19 AM
At the risk of piling on, I recall another Bevington / sportswriter exchange. I don't remember who the writer was, but he lobbed a softball question to Bevington, something like "How about that Robin Ventura, coming back from that serious (broken ankle) injury?"
Bevington went off on the guy, responding, "Oh no, you're not gonna catch me in that trap! Robin's a hell of a ballplayer..."

Lack of smarts + Huge chip on shoulder + poor public relations manner = Horrible manager

SMO
:rolleyes:

Medford Bobby
06-08-2006, 11:25 AM
That's "Boom Boom" Bevington!:o:

jackbrohamer
06-08-2006, 11:25 AM
For the young fans out there, Bevington also went to the mound and signaled for a relief pitcher when no one was warming up. It was during a nationally-televised Saturday afternoon game. What a fiasco that was!

IIRC, it was a Sunday game in Sept. 1997 (after the white flag trade) v. Cleveland, he went to the mound and signalled for a right-hander, coach (Kusyner?) shrugged his shoulders because nobody was warming up, Bev cupped his mouth and yelled "FOULKE" and Foulke went in and faced 1 batter. I can't remember if Foulke intentionally walked the one batter he faced, or not.

Bevington also got into a fight with umpire Rich Garcia in front of (maybe inside, I can't remember) Gibson's in 1996. I think Bevington started taunting him when they saw each other after a game where Garcia worked home plate and it escalated.

I think he also got into a fist fight with then-Milwaukee manager Phil Garner during or before a spring training game. But I can't fault him for that one.

What a complete buffoon.

RKMeibalane
06-08-2006, 11:29 AM
IIRC, it was a Sunday game in Sept. 1997 (after the white flag trade) v. Cleveland, he went to the mound and signalled for a right-hander, coach (Kusyner?) shrugged his shoulders because nobody was warming up, Bev cupped his mouth and yelled "FOULKE" and Foulke went in and faced 1 batter. I can't remember if Foulke intentionally walked the one batter he faced, or not.

Bevington also got into a fight with umpire Rich Garcia in front of (maybe inside, I can't remember) Gibson's in 1996. I think Bevington started taunting him when they saw each other after a game where Garcia worked home plate and it escalated.

I think he also got into a fist fight with then-Milwaukee manager Phil Garner during or before a spring training game. But I can't fault him for that one.

What a complete buffoon.

His fight with Garner was during the 1995 season, during a game in which several players were ejected because of a series of beanballs. What I remember most from that game was Rob Dibble hitting Greg Vaughn, and Frank Thomas and Ron Karkovice takling him before he got to the mound.

BRDSR
06-08-2006, 11:41 AM

By the way, Manuel once almost did the same thing, except he realized his mistake about the time he was approaching the third-base line. It was his second trip to the mound so he would have to take the pitcher out. Manuel knew he screwed himself so he just meandered around the third-base line like a drunk, then meandered to home plate and starting talking nonsense to the confused home-plate umpire in a weird effort to save face. It somehow worked and he didn't have to remove the pitcher. I remember Mike Hargrove coming out to argue, to no avail.

To be fair, Guillen also made a similar mistake, signaling for a right-hander when he really wanted a left-hander(Cotts, I believe). In fact, I think he did it twice. Once he was forced to bring in the pitcher he originally signaled for and the other time they let it slide. It seems the Sox have the beginning of what could turn into a long legacy of managers who don't know who or what they want out of the bullpen.

Chez
06-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Dan Bernstein put it best by calling Bevington, "the unfortunate combination of mean and stupid." To illustrate just how bad he must have been, how many managers get fired with a career winning pct. of over .500 and then never get re-hired by anyone? Think of all the bad managers who have gotten second, third, and fourth chances. Bevington was so bad he never got (or deserved) a second chance. The only other one manager I can think of who also was fired with a career winning pct of over .500 and was never re-hired is Jerry Manual.

RKMeibalane
06-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Dan Bernstein put it best by calling Bevington, "the unfortunate combination of mean and stupid." To illustrate just how bad he must have been, how many managers get fired with a career winning pct. of over .500 and then never get re-hired by anyone? Think of all the bad managers who have gotten second, third, and fourth chances. Bevington was so bad he never got (or deserved) a second chance. The only other one manager I can think of who also was fired with a career winning pct of over .500 and was never re-hired is Jerry Manual.

What's sad about that is that the Sox had both of them as managers, and Manuel was Bevington's replacement. A few years ago, I posted a thread with the Sox all-time worst starting lineup, and it was scary just thinking about how much crap has come through this organization, even in the past ten or fifteen years alone.

CF- Chris Singleton
2B- Steve Sax
RF- Danny Pasqua
LF- Lyle Mouton
1B- Jeff Liefer
3B- Chris Snopek
DH- Julio Ramirez
C- Matt Merullo
SS- Royce Clayton

06-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Well, I know most of the posters here are older than me so they can tell me about this. What exactly made Terry Bevington such a horrible manager? I'm too young to really remember and I didn't really start following the Sox until Jerry Manuel became manager.

Man u are making me feel old...I'm 33 and I remember LaRussa like it was yesterday in 1983 when i was 10!

Lip Man 1
06-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Terry Bevington was egotistical, arrogant and a poor field manager.

The Chicago media hated having to try to work with him, which helped foster some of the 'negativity' around the club.

Bevington never owned up to his mistakes (including the famous 'calling in a relief pitcher when no one was warming up' faux paux on Carlton Fisk Day.) instead he placed blame elsewhere.

And remember he was in charge of the 1996 team, a club that was 40-21 in early June, had a three or four game lead in the wild card race heading into September and pissed it all away.

From Bob Vanderberg's WSI interview (Bob is the associate sports editor of the Tribune and the author of at least two White Sox books...)

"I think they also made major mistakes when on "fan appreciation day" in 1996 they announced that Terry Bevington was going to be kept on for another season. I know a number of fans told me, since I was at the park that day, what a bad move that was. They just stood around shaking their heads, they couldn’t believe it."

Lip

The_Floridian
06-08-2006, 12:42 PM

I was under the impression that Manuel was re-hired by some team as a bench coach or a first base coach or something like that. Granted, he could also theoretically get hired by another team, what with it only having been two and a half years since he last managed.

But what about Terry Bevington? Did he ever even get a minor league gig in another organization? A scouting assignment? First base coach in Ogden? Something like that? I know he's in independent ball now, but what about in between?

Lip Man 1
06-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Manuel is first base coach for the Mets.

Bevington managed in the minor leagues (Syracuse?) and was a third base coach for Toronto.

Lip

BeviBall!
06-08-2006, 12:57 PM
The darkest period in White Sox baseball. Although, I loved the term beviball so much, I made it my monniker. I don't even know what the hell beviball was.

mccoydp
06-08-2006, 01:13 PM
Bevington? Ugh. He was God-awful.

C-Dawg
06-08-2006, 02:09 PM
IIRC, it was a Sunday game in Sept. 1997 (after the white flag trade) v. Cleveland, he went to the mound and signalled for a right-hander, coach (Kusyner?) shrugged his shoulders because nobody was warming up, Bev cupped his mouth and yelled "FOULKE" and Foulke went in and faced 1 batter.

It was audible on TV; I didn't notice it but Steve Dahl did, and played the tape on the air about 5 dozen times over the next few days. Yup, with the sound turned way up, you could hear our distinguished manager calling for the reliever of his choice. What a buffoon!

miker
06-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Reading this thread makes me appreciate Ozzie (and his quirks) even more!

06-08-2006, 02:36 PM
What's sad about that is that the Sox had both of them as managers, and Manuel was Bevington's replacement. A few years ago, I posted a thread with the Sox all-time worst starting lineup, and it was scary just thinking about how much crap has come through this organization, even in the past ten or fifteen years alone.

CF- Chris Singleton
2B- Steve Sax
RF- Danny Pasqua
LF- Lyle Mouton
1B- Jeff Liefer
3B- Chris Snopek
DH- Julio Ramirez
C- Matt Merullo
SS- Royce Clayton

Great lineup, but I'd replace Royce with Mike Carusso

BRDSR
06-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Great lineup, but I'd replace Royce with Mike Carusso

Carusso had one good season ('97? Batted .301 or so? Plus a late-inning go-ahead homer against the Cubs, maybe?) Royce never put up a good season.

06-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Royce had a good glove

ilsox7
06-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Royce had a good glove

:o:

ewokpelts
06-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Carusso had one good season ('97? Batted .301 or so? Plus a late-inning go-ahead homer against the Cubs, maybe?) Royce never put up a good season.royce was no worse hitting wise than manos or uribe...and fielding wise was better than manos

ilsox7
06-08-2006, 03:18 PM
royce was no worse hitting wise than manos or uribe...and fielding wise was better than manos
What?!?!?!?!?

Valentin was about a .255 hitter with the Sox and hit about 25 HR each year.

Royce was about a .255 hitter with the Sox and hit about 8 HR each year.

Valentin had a ton more RBI's and a better OBP. Royce Clayton could not hold Valentin's jock at the plate.

ewokpelts
06-08-2006, 03:29 PM
What?!?!?!?!?

Valentin was about a .255 hitter with the Sox and hit about 25 HR each year.

Royce was about a .255 hitter with the Sox and hit about 8 HR each year.

Valentin had a ton more RBI's and a better OBP. Royce Clayton could not hold Valentin's jock at the plate.manos was a smaller sammy sosa...loved to swing for the fences....
royce had a bad april-may 01, yeteveryone thinks he was horrible for the two years he was here....he hit 300 plus from june-september 01
Gene

ode to veeck
06-08-2006, 03:31 PM

No way, either last place or 2nd to last tops--the guy's only competition is Hawk as GM

ilsox7
06-08-2006, 03:37 PM
manos was a smaller sammy sosa...loved to swing for the fences....
royce had a bad april-may 01, yeteveryone thinks he was horrible for the two years he was here....he hit 300 plus from june-september 01
Gene

Ohhh, I see, April and May no longer count as part of the season. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is Jose and Royce had similar batting averages OVER MORE THAN ONE YEAR with the Sox, while Jose was MUCH better at driving in runs, hitting for power, and getting on base.

TornLabrum
06-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Manuel is first base coach for the Mets.

Bevington managed in the minor leagues (Syracuse?) and was a third base coach for Toronto.

Lip

Apparently you and the questioner missed page 1 of this thread:

Let's put it this way: He was such a good manager that 10 years after his tenure with the Sox, he has risen to the level (at only 49 years old) of managing the Edmonton Cracker Cats (Northern League). We saw him in Joliet a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.crackercats.ca/terrybevington1.htm
(http://www.crackercats.ca/terrybevington1.htm)

DumpJerry
06-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Jerry Manuel gets a lot of flak on here (some of it justified). But Bevington made Manuel seem like a cross between Edison, Einstein and Casey Stengel.
He makes Manuel look like Ozzie. If you notice my WSI screen name, you should get an idea of the level of respect I had for Manuel.

On a recent thread in the Parking Lot, there was a link to a site that would tell you what infamous serial killer you resemble based on some questions about yourself. People were posting they were told they were John Wayne Gacy, Jack the Ripper, etc. I posted that it told me I was Terry Bevington.

TornLabrum
06-08-2006, 04:10 PM
manos was a smaller sammy sosa...loved to swing for the fences....
Gene

It wasn't so much The Choice's offense that bugged me (although he sucked). It was his ability to yell Ole at anything that might possibly have harmed his fielding average.

ode to veeck
06-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Gene

royce was bad more than april -may '01, he had the range of a lawn chair at ss and dodged grounders to keep his errorless streak alive, he only hit when the sox were already out of the race or when it didn't count--gimme a break

ode to veeck
06-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Most Sox fans in the stands could have done a better job managing than Terry Bevington.

most flatworms could have done a better job of managing than TB

ewokpelts
06-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Ohhh, I see, April and May no longer count as part of the season. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is Jose and Royce had similar batting averages OVER MORE THAN ONE YEAR with the Sox, while Jose was MUCH better at driving in runs, hitting for power, and getting on base.and my bottom line is that royce was not the reason we couldnt win in 2001 or 2002.
2003, a year when royce was gone , we still couldnt win the division.....

ilsox7
06-08-2006, 04:57 PM
and my bottom line is that royce was not the reason we couldnt win in 2001 or 2002.
2003, a year when royce was gone , we still couldnt win the division.....

Then that is what you should have said to begin with. I was only arguing your contention that Royce was as good as Jose as an offensive player.

StatHead21
06-08-2006, 05:43 PM
He went out to make a pitching change and no one was in the bullpen, 'nuff said.

TommyJohn
06-08-2006, 06:05 PM

What made him a bad manager is that he was a MORON!!!:angry: :angry:

Sorry. Another case of Bev Rage.

jongarlandlover
06-08-2006, 06:14 PM
wow. i feel i've gotten a great education on here, as i was too little to actually follow baseball well during bevington's time as manager. :tongue:

twentywontowin
06-08-2006, 06:26 PM

It was September 14, 1997. It was the same day that Carlton Fisk had his number retired. I had the fortunate opportunity to be there, but I was a little too young to remember Bevington call for Foulke out of the bullpen. I was probably 12 years old.

Another fact about that game, the White Sox set the major league record for the number of pitchers used in a nine-inning game, with nine pitchers.

Here is the box score for the game. Look at the attendance figure as well, a number was being retired and they still couldn't sell out the place:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=199709140CHA

Dancin' Homer
06-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Let me start by saying:threadrules:

Does anyone remember the marketing campaign (I think it was just for games on WGN) that imagined the Sox as superheroes and it called T. Bev. "the Brain" and had a cartoon picture of him with a big(ger) cranium. I spent the whole summer screaming at that commercial.

Bucky F. Dent
06-08-2006, 08:12 PM
http://northtonorth.com/pages/soundclips.shtml

Go down and click on Bevington.

Then go down a little farther and listen to Lee Ellia.
God bless Lee Ellia, that is some of the finest use of the f-bomb in the long and esteemed history of the word.

santo=dorf
06-08-2006, 08:18 PM
It was September 14, 1997. It was the same day that Carlton Fisk had his number retired. I had the fortunate opportunity to be there, but I was a little too young to remember Bevington call for Foulke out of the bullpen. I was probably 12 years old.

Another fact about that game, the White Sox set the major league record for the number of pitchers used in a nine-inning game, with nine pitchers.

Here is the box score for the game. Look at the attendance figure as well, a number was being retired and they still couldn't sell out the place:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=199709140CHA (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=199709140CHA)
Chicago White Sox (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1997&t=CHA)
IP H R ER BB SO
Navarro (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=navarja01) 6.1 2 0 0 2 5
McElroy (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=mcelrch01) 0.0 0 0 0 0 0
Cruz (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=cruzne01) 0.2 0 0 0 1 0
Castillo (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=castito02) 0.1 2 2 2 0 1
Darwin (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=darwije01) L (0-1) 0.0 1 1 1 0 0
Fordham (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=fordhto01) 0.1 1 1 1 0 0
Foulke (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=foulkke01) 0.0 0 1 1 1 0
Karchner (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=karchma01) 0.1 3 2 2 0 1
Levine (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=levinal01) 1.0 2 1 1 0 0
Totals

9.0 11 8 8 4 7

IBB–Williams (4,by Foulke).
What was the point of bringing in Foulke again? :?:

wassagstdu
06-08-2006, 10:05 PM
I seem to remember an incident where Bevington publicly humiliated Ozzie and banned his son from the clubhouse. That might have been in Ozzie's last year when the whole organization was treating him like crap. Bevington was like Grover Dill*.

* the toady, not the band.

PKalltheway
06-09-2006, 12:24 AM
Wow...I'm glad I don't remember Terry Bevington now after reading all of this! His tenure with the Sox sounds comparable to Tony Muser's tenure in Kansas City or maybe Bob Boone's tenure in Cincinnati. (We called him Bob Buffoon here in Cincy)

TornLabrum
06-09-2006, 12:38 AM
Wow...I'm glad I don't remember Terry Bevington now after reading all of this! His tenure with the Sox sounds comparable to Tony Muser's tenure in Kansas City or maybe Bob Boone's tenure in Cincinnati. (We called him Bob Buffoon here in Cincy)

Nah...those guys looked like geniuses compared to Berry Tevington.

MILTMAY5
06-09-2006, 01:05 AM

By the way, Manuel once almost did the same thing, except he realized his mistake about the time he was approaching the third-base line. It was his second trip to the mound so he would have to take the pitcher out. Manuel knew he screwed himself so he just meandered around the third-base line like a drunk, then meandered to home plate and starting talking nonsense to the confused home-plate umpire in a weird effort to save face. It somehow worked and he didn't have to remove the pitcher. I remember Mike Hargrove coming out to argue, to no avail.It was September 14, 1997 - the day they retired #72. And he DID have to make a pitching change. He brought in somebody cold, so they had to intentionally walk the next batter, so as to not blow their arm out,while someone else quickly warmed up ( I wish I could remember the pitcher ). I was at the game and remember how loud Bevy was booed for that one!

eastchicagosoxfan
06-09-2006, 04:49 AM
Nah...those guys looked like geniuses compared to Berry Tevington.
Wasn't Bevington a very successful minor league manager prior to taking the helm of the Sox. He was billed as a no-nonsense type of guy that got results.

doublem23
06-09-2006, 04:55 AM
Chicago White Sox (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1997&t=CHA)
IP H R ER BB SO
Navarro (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=navarja01) 6.1 2 0 0 2 5
McElroy (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=mcelrch01) 0.0 0 0 0 0 0
Cruz (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=cruzne01) 0.2 0 0 0 1 0
Castillo (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=castito02) 0.1 2 2 2 0 1
Darwin (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=darwije01) L (0-1) 0.0 1 1 1 0 0
Fordham (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=fordhto01) 0.1 1 1 1 0 0
Foulke (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=foulkke01) 0.0 0 1 1 1 0
Karchner (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=karchma01) 0.1 3 2 2 0 1
Levine (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=levinal01) 1.0 2 1 1 0 0
Totals

9.0 11 8 8 4 7

Foulke had to be brought in cold, so he just walked someone while Karchner warmed up.

doublem23
06-09-2006, 04:55 AM
It was September 14, 1997 - the day they retired #72. And he DID have to make a pitching change. He brought in somebody cold, so they had to intentionally walk the next batter, so as to not blow their arm out,while someone else quickly warmed up ( I wish I could remember the pitcher ). I was at the game and remember how loud Bevy was booed for that one!

That was the Bevington game... Jerry Manuel wasn't manager of the Sox until 1998.

slavko
06-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Wasn't Bevington a very successful minor league manager prior to taking the helm of the Sox. He was billed as a no-nonsense type of guy that got results.

All true. The club was lifeless, Gene Lamont was being fired in the middle of a season, Bevington was third base coach and thus the logical candidate to replace him. Who knew?

jackbrohamer
06-09-2006, 12:42 PM
IP H R ER BB SO
Totals

Yuk. Just reading some of the names on the Sox pitching staff that year makes me want to throw up in my mouth. What a miserable, miserable year.

McCuddy
06-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Yuk. Just reading some of the names on the Sox pitching staff that year makes me want to throw up in my mouth. What a miserable, miserable year.

I know. I actually got chills looking at that pitching staff.

cbotnyse
06-09-2006, 02:04 PM

that amazes me...not one, but two managers making this mistake? It blows my mind that managers at the highest level are that clueless. I just cannot believe it.

CurtisEBear
06-09-2006, 05:30 PM
I do remember Terry's giant head in those comic book ads.

I also remember the team putting up a barrier on the dugout railing, so the opposing manager couldn't see ol' Terry "thinking."

When was the wall removed?

chaerulez
06-09-2006, 05:53 PM
IP H R ER BB SO
Totals

9.0 11 8 8 4 7

Just the fact he used that many pitchers in a regular 9 inning game says all you need to know about him.

Chisox1500
06-09-2006, 07:31 PM
He used that many pitchers on a day that Jaime Navarro actually went 6 plus innings. But the Sox never had a chance that year after the White Flag trade.

That 96' Sox team is a complete tragedy. Hawk cried after they blew the Wild Card in a series versus the Orioles. Tony Phillips and Frank Thomas carried the offense, Alex Fernandez anchored the staff and Bev managed them into the ground. It wasn't all his fault, but he was a complete disaster.

tick53
06-11-2006, 11:20 AM
"Duh, Lou thought it was fair and I thought it was foul and I thought it was fair and Lou thought it was was foul, then Lou thought it was foul and I thought it was FAIR but Lou thought it was fair and I thought it was fair, but Lou said foul and I thought it was foul then Lou said foul and I said fair.........."

When asked by an interviewer what the Sox chances were, he replied:
"I think we have to play, I dunno, STUPID"

:kukoo:

Terry made Don Gutteridge look like Connie Mack.

Brian26
06-11-2006, 11:25 AM
I had a surreal personal experience with Bevington in 1996. The Bullpen Sports Bar had just been opened a few weeks earlier (this was mid-season), and Dave Wills was doing Friday night post game shows down there with Kris Kross. Players would drop by after the game and do interviews and sign autographs. A lot of people didn't know about it, so it was somewhat a well-kept secret. After a tough loss on this particular night, Wills mentioned that Bevington might be coming over to address the fans and do an interview. It was getting late (probably an hour after the game) and I had been there watching the festivities, and at some point I went to use the washroom. I was in there by myself, and out of the corner of my eye I see Bevington stumble in wearing a track suit. He walked up to the urinal right next to mine, and I could tell immediately he was drunk. I said hi to him and told him not to let the media bother him (he was getting killed by the newspapers at this time). That triggered a ten minute tirade on the Chicago media from Bevington. Just me and him in the bullpen sports bar bathroom, and he cussed out every sportswriter in town. I wanted to leave, but he kept talking. I was at the sink trying to wash my hands and dry them off, and he was still running his mouth. He was almost crying on my shoulder. It was surreal that he opened up to me like that (a complete stranger in the restroom). Like I said, though, he seemed hammered. We both left the bathroom, and he went on to do an interview with Willsy. I don’t remember much after that. I think I was still in shock.

Brian26
06-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Just the fact he used that many pitchers in a regular 9 inning game says all you need to know about him.

Just to be fair, it was a September game with expanded rosters, so he had more available arms in the pen to use. In a tight game, when you have the luxury to play lefty-righty matchups, why not do it?

tebman
06-11-2006, 01:59 PM
I had a surreal personal experience with Bevington in 1996. The Bullpen Sports Bar had just been opened a few weeks earlier (this was mid-season), and Dave Wills was doing Friday night post game shows down there with Kris Kross. Players would drop by after the game and do interviews and sign autographs. A lot of people didn't know about it, so it was somewhat a well-kept secret. After a tough loss on this particular night, Wills mentioned that Bevington might be coming over to address the fans and do an interview. It was getting late (probably an hour after the game) and I had been there watching the festivities, and at some point I went to use the washroom. I was in there by myself, and out of the corner of my eye I see Bevington stumble in wearing a track suit. He walked up to the urinal right next to mine, and I could tell immediately he was drunk. I said hi to him and told him not to let the media bother him (he was getting killed by the newspapers at this time). That triggered a ten minute tirade on the Chicago media from Bevington. Just me and him in the bullpen sports bar bathroom, and he cussed out every sportswriter in town. I wanted to leave, but he kept talking. I was at the sink trying to wash my hands and dry them off, and he was still running his mouth. He was almost crying on my shoulder. It was surreal that he opened up to me like that (a complete stranger in the restroom). Like I said, though, he seemed hammered. We both left the bathroom, and he went on to do an interview with Willsy. I don’t remember much after that. I think I was still in shock.

:o: What a story! Man, I'd be in shock too.

It's just too easy to take shots at Bevington. The real blame goes to Ron Schueler for hiring and re-hiring him. Bevington was in *way* over his head. Maybe he was useful as an advance scout or a fielding coach or some other minor capacity, but he was the wrong guy to serve as a major league manager.

Bevington was (is?) a mope. May he live out the rest of his days in peace, and far, far away from the White Sox.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-11-2006, 02:16 PM
I've just been sitting at my computer shivering at these memories of The Bevington Years. Had to go look at my World Series stuff to console myself. It's right to say it wasn't all his fault, but he was so bad AND so unlikeable.

DumpJerry
06-11-2006, 02:25 PM
So, is Bevington Hangar18's blood relative? Or is he Hangar himself????

oldcomiskey
06-11-2006, 03:43 PM
His fight with Garner was during the 1995 season, during a game in which several players were ejected because of a series of beanballs. What I remember most from that game was Rob Dibble hitting Greg Vaughn, and Frank Thomas and Ron Karkovice takling him before he got to the mound.
Wasnt Ozzie and Jeff Cirillo incolved in that?

Brian26
06-11-2006, 04:29 PM
He might have managed this team into LAST place!!That's how
confused he truly was.Does anyone remember the Foulke game??
IIRC,it was a Sunday afternoon at Comiskey. Hymie Navarro had dueled
to a 2-2 tie and had begun to falter in the 7th or 8th.This was remarkable because,as most Sox fans old enough can remember,Hymie normally imploded in the 3rd or 4th inning.Anyhow,Bevington goes to his bullpen,bringing in an ice cold Keith Foulke,who had barely
warmed up in the 'Pen.:rolleyes:

Long story short;the 'Toons score 6 times off Foulke and
win the game 8-2. :angry:

No offense, but you might want to read the entire thread before you post. This has been covered already, complete with the box score from retrosheet. Foulke only pitched to one batter, and that was an intentional walk in order to get someone else's arm ready in the pen.

SOXSINCE'70
06-11-2006, 04:36 PM
No offense, but you might want to read the entire thread before you post. This has been covered already

I deleted my response.No need going over it again.Sorry.

PKalltheway
06-12-2006, 01:28 AM
That 96' Sox team is a complete tragedy. Hawk cried after they blew the Wild Card in a series versus the Orioles.
Whoa, whoa, whoa the Hawk actually CRIED after they blew the Wild Card that year? As in actually SHEDDING TEARS?:o: If so, 1996 sounded like it was a LOT more depressing than the 2003 collapse.

soxfanreggie
06-12-2006, 07:15 AM
He's a joke...destined to manage the lowest-level minor league clubs the rest of his career.

soxinem1
06-12-2006, 04:58 PM

What made the pitching change incident worse was when the clod had the nerve to tell the media at the end of the game that it was planned, and part of a strategy. Strategy to do what, hurt your relievers' arms? If that would have happened to Ozzie, Manuel, Torborg, Fregosi, or LaRussa, they would have just said that they f----- up, and maybe even had some fun with it. This idiot only had three or four brain cells working anyway.

Another dumb incident with Boomer was when Harold Baines returned in 1996. Harold was having a great year, and when Bevington was asked about what he thought of Baines performance, he replied something to the effect that - one day the magic will cease and Baines will lose his ability to hit, so enjoy it while it lasts - was one of the stupidest comments I ever heard a manager make. Tearing up his own player, especially one who never said anything negative about anyone.

So these are just two of the incidents involving Bevington that 'endeared him' to our hearts. Just imagine what it was like back then to watch Bevington and Navarro at the same time, on the same team!

MILTMAY5
06-12-2006, 10:18 PM
:o: What a story! Man, I'd be in shock too.

It's just too easy to take shots at Bevington. The real blame goes to Ron Schueler for hiring and re-hiring him. Bevington was in *way* over his head. Maybe he was useful as an advance scout or a fielding coach or some other minor capacity, but he was the wrong guy to serve as a major league manager.

Bevington was (is?) a mope. May he live out the rest of his days in peace, and far, far away from the White Sox.Schueler was a pantload! From the way he handled the Carlton Fisk fiasco to hiring three of the biggest stiff's to ever manage in the bigs to ( and in MHO the worst ) was allowing Robin Ventura to walk away as a free agent after he battled back after one of the worst sports injuries ever....I could go on all day.Thank **** those days are long gone!

TornLabrum
06-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Schueler was a pantload! From the way he handled the Carlton Fisk fiasco to hiring three of the biggest stiff's to ever manage in the bigs to ( and in MHO the worst ) was allowing Robin Ventura to walk away as a free agent after he battled back after one of the worst sports injuries ever....I could go on all day.Thank **** those days are long gone!

And don't forget it was Schueler who justified the White Flag Trade (TM) by saying, "They never would have caught Cleveland," and offered as proof, "They only played .500 ball after the trade."

I never could figure out the logic of that one.

QCIASOXFAN
06-12-2006, 10:44 PM
Wow, I was a little to young to to remember all of this and had no idea he was such a ****head. This thread was very informative.

Save McCuddy's
06-13-2006, 09:40 AM
The thread is long and I have done my best, but apologize if the following has already been addressed.

I came into '96 wondering how this baffoon was still at the helm of a very talented team. It took only 9 innings to push me to the brink of insanity.

We opened at Seattle that year and faced the Unit. Up 2 to 1 in the 9th, the Boomer elects to pass on using proven closer, Roberto Hernandez and instead inserts the ex-starter current retread Joe Magrane (seemingly for match-up reasons). Naturally MaGrane, who had never closed and has to this day never posted a save, struggled to find the plate or retire a batter and we allowed Seattle to tie and eventually win a game that IMO set the table for a season of disappointment.

Madvora
06-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Tearing up his own player, especially one who never said anything negative about anyone.
Ha! Baines...? He never said anything at all.

MikeCGrimes
08-25-2006, 03:28 PM

Terry Bevington was a great manager. He beated up on the Twins. He is the only manager that has had success against them. That is saying something. He was a great motivator. A great people person. A guy who got the most out of so little. A guy that demanded excellence, hard work, and etc. He was an overachiever. He was simply a winner. It's too bad Reinsdorf screwed him with the White Sox fire sale. We all know that trade was made in an attempt to get Bevington fired which is why I hate the White Sox. It's sad that the White Sox fans, the Chicago media, and the organization has done everything to blackball him. The guy is a great manager. Here's hoping some team find the light to hire this guy. I would take him to manage the Twins.

Harry Potter
08-25-2006, 03:33 PM
He beated up on the Twins. :redneck

http://happycarpenter.blogs.com/the_happy_carpenter/images/hooked_on_phonics.jpg

NardiWasHere
08-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Terry Bevington was a great manager. He beated up on the Twins. He is the only manager that has had success against them. That is saying something. He was a great motivator. A great people person. A guy who got the most out of so little. A guy that demanded excellence, hard work, and etc. He was an overachiever. He was simply a winner. It's too bad Reinsdorf screwed him with the White Sox fire sale. We all know that trade was made in an attempt to get Bevington fired which is why I hate the White Sox. It's sad that the White Sox fans, the Chicago media, and the organization has done everything to blackball him. The guy is a great manager. Here's hoping some team find the light to hire this guy. I would take him to manage the Twins.

My favorite Bevington moment came when Terry bought a computer and changed his name to Mike C. Grimes

tebman
08-25-2006, 04:20 PM
:?: Did the Horsemaster sneak back in here?

Iwritecode
08-25-2006, 04:33 PM
:?: Did the Horsemaster sneak back in here?

Nope. That's Timberwolf with this Terry Bevington man-crush.

Now he can get banned for trolling AND bringing back an 2-month old thread.

SABRSox
08-25-2006, 04:39 PM
These Terry Bevington threads are like the un-dead.

GoSox2K3
08-25-2006, 04:54 PM
My favorite Bevington moment came when Terry bought a computer and changed his name to Mike C. Grimes

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/62/Grimes1.gif/75px-Grimes1.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Grimes1.gif)
Hey, that's my brother you're talking about!

thomas35forever
08-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Timberwolf, haven't you caused enough trouble already? Go ahead. Hire Bevington to take over the Twins and watch your beloved team fall into fourth place.

tlebar318
08-25-2006, 06:18 PM

Terry MUST have been quite the manager to be able to "beated up the Twins" and I can only hope he is the future manager of said club! :tongue:

I still think the Sox are "the bestest" :D: I forgot to mention that I "hope some team find the light to hire Bevington too"(Twins, Cubs)

soxfanreggie
08-26-2006, 02:41 AM
I was at the Fisk Day game...one of the worst games I ever went to. I remember my Dad turning to me and saying something about Bev being a moron.

Nobody liked the guy, but he had a good run in the minors and just stuck around for a long time that he moved up to 3rd base coach and got the job. But everyone is right, if he can't get a better job than the Cracker Cats after being a manager in the bigs, then he must be bad on MANY levels.

TornLabrum
08-26-2006, 03:06 AM
Just to close this thread forever, Terry Bevington resigned as manager of the Edmonton Cracker Cats of the Northern League in June after getting an 8-game suspension resulting from his role in an on-field brawl. He was last seen on his way back home to Tennessee.