PDA

View Full Version : People you know in the draft

WizardsofOzzie
06-08-2006, 02:16 AM
I just got back from the bar and bumped into 2 high school classmates that were drafted in the MLB draft. Mike Sullivan to the Tigers and Jeff Samaraja to the Cubs. Anyone else had this before?

MUsoxfan
06-08-2006, 02:43 AM
I know the father of a guy that got drafted by the Cubs a couple years ago and got a huge signing bonus. He was a major prospect, but injuries have been in his way

ilsox7
06-08-2006, 03:16 AM
I played several summers with a couple of guys who are currently in AAA. One was a sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd rounds out of Andrew and another is in the Cubs system now.

StillMissOzzie
06-08-2006, 03:51 AM
Yep, my nephew was drafted #47 (sandwich pick) by Boston last year. He's now on the Greenville Drive, one of their class A teams. You might also refer to my reply in the "6/1 Games" thread in the Minor Observations forum.

SMO
:gulp:

MadetoOrta
06-08-2006, 08:34 AM
Speaking of Samardja, he will sign with the cubs. I was with one of his teammates last night. The deal was reached a while ago. He intends to play both professional football and baseball.

JorgeFabregas
06-08-2006, 09:33 AM
I had a classmate drafted when I graduated high school. He bought an SUV with his signing bonus, crashed it, broke his leg, and never really played, as far as I know.

MeteorsSox4367
06-08-2006, 09:34 AM
My boss' godson was drafted in the first round by Houston last season and played in the College World Series for Tulane in 2005. My boss went to Omaha last year to watch his godson in the CWS and happened to invite me along.

I always wanted to go and it was awesome. Tulane was eliminated, but Omaha and Rosenblatt Stadium and just the whole experience of finally getting to see the CWS was very cool.

Obligatory attendance record: 2-0

Garland_IS_God
06-08-2006, 11:53 AM
I graduated with a guy who pitches for the Pittsburgh Pirates. I wasnt extremely close friends with him but did hang out with him every once in a blue moon.
http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=452733

ewokpelts
06-08-2006, 12:03 PM
I know the father of a guy that got drafted by the Cubs a couple years ago and got a huge signing bonus. He was a major prospect, but injuries have been in his waylast name prior?

ewokpelts
06-08-2006, 12:08 PM
A guy i went to grade school got drafted by the Reds back in 200, but he opted to go to college. He later got drafted by the Sox, but injuries prevented him from getting past rookie ball. Last i checked, he was playing for either the jackhammers or the thunderbolts(the info on the web had him playing for both teams in 2004)

DSpivack
06-08-2006, 01:50 PM
I have a pair of Kevin Foster's (http://www.baseball-reference.com/f/fosteke01.shtml) shoes; he went to my high school and was a friend of a friend, or something like that. Thrilling, I know.

WizardsofOzzie
06-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Now that im totally sober i can relay a couple of the details from last night. Mike Sullivan is a lifetime sox fan who i was talking to at the bar last night. He had his sox hat on and i said something along the lines of "go sox, we are gonna sweep those bastard tigers tomorrow" to which he replied "ehhh i can't really say that anymore since i got drafted by the tigers and all" Talk about a tough spot to be put in. At least he didn't get drafted by the cubs

VenturaFan23
06-08-2006, 01:53 PM
My 2nd cousin got drafted by the Mets in the second round. I remember him being such a bratty kid when he was little. Man, time flies!

soxfanatlanta
06-08-2006, 02:44 PM
I went to school with Mike Grace at Bradley, he was originally drafted by the Padres out of Joliet Catholic, but he ended up pitching in college for 3 years. I saw him in Atlanta when he was a middle inning guy for the Phillies. It was a shame he was hurt most of his career, that guy had some good stuff.

twsoxfan5
06-08-2006, 02:49 PM
I graduated with a guy who pitches for the Pittsburgh Pirates. I wasnt extremely close friends with him but did hang out with him every once in a blue moon.
http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=452733

I also went to school with Gorzelanny, but we used to call him Gonz. I hung out with him at parties, but I wouldn't call him one of my close friends.

ilsox7
06-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Now that im totally sober i can relay a couple of the details from last night. Mike Sullivan is a lifetime sox fan who i was talking to at the bar last night. He had his sox hat on and i said something along the lines of "go sox, we are gonna sweep those bastard tigers tomorrow" to which he replied "ehhh i can't really say that anymore since i got drafted by the tigers and all" Talk about a tough spot to be put in. At least he didn't get drafted by the cubs

No offense, but I hardly consider that a tough situation to be in. He's been drafted by a MLB team!

yesenia
06-08-2006, 02:58 PM
ok so last nite i was watching the game and i could have sworn Hawk mentioned Blue Island but I was playing with my dogs and missed it. Was it my imagination or was someone from Blue Island in the draft....anyone?

ilsox7
06-08-2006, 03:00 PM
ok so last nite i was watching the game and i could ahve sworn Hawk mentioned Blue Island but I was playing with my dogs and missed it. Was it my imagination or was someone from Blue Island in the draft....anyone?

Curtis Granderson.

buehrle4cy05
06-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Andrew Hagins went in the 28th round to Tampa Bay. He was OPRF's starting centerfielder and hit something like .530. Also went to the same elementary school as I did. I really don't know him, but Tim Dennehy went in the 27th round to the Yankees. He graduated from OPRF last year and was pitching at Chandler-Gilbert CC in Arizona. He was picked in the 19th round last year to Cleveland out of HS but opted to go to the CC.

yesenia
06-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Curtis Granderson.

oooohhhhhh....thanks so much for that. i wonder if i knew him when we were little or something