HotelWhiteSox
06-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Official now according to Comcast, he needs surgery

getonbckthr
06-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Nice knowin ya.

whitesoxfan
06-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Wow, didn't really expect this. I'd have to assume that he probably won't pitch again. Tough break for Nelson.

gf2020
06-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Dang.

Well, hopefully we'll get him another ring for his six games of service.

DumpJerry
06-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Can't say we did not see this coming. Get well soon, big guy!

thomas35forever
06-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Well, that worked out well for us.

Lip Man 1
06-07-2006, 10:41 PM
I didn't expect this that's for sure.

Well the handwriting's on the wall...pick up the phone Kenny and start dialing.

Lip

The Dude
06-07-2006, 10:41 PM
Well, that worked out well for us.

Yeah, but it's not like we lost anything for trying. It was a very low-risk signing.

TDog
06-07-2006, 10:46 PM
His career was over before he came to the Sox.

I would rather the Sox look for good young arms than long resumes.

santo=dorf
06-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah, but it's not like we lost anything for trying. It was a very low-risk signing.
I seem to recall Shea Hillenbrand crushing a hanger.

What was the outcome of that game again?

hawkjt
06-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Just another casualty in this epidemic of injuries all over baseball. Seems like every team has lost a few guys.

Nelson sounded resigned to retirement. He gave it that last try and thats it.
I just saw a highlight of Big Frank lashing a double to left but was thrown out by a mile going into second. These two have had some tough battles back in their prime but probably have faced off for the last time.

Can we get by with our minor league call-ups?

TomParrish79
06-07-2006, 10:49 PM
i hope he has a speedy recovery....this might be a blessing for us though cuz he wasnt very good on the mound during his couple of appearances

cbotnyse
06-07-2006, 10:50 PM
:KW
"Ive got some work to do"

JB98
06-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Just another casualty in this epidemic of injuries all over baseball. Seems like every team has lost a few guys.

Nelson sounded resigned to retirement. He gave it that last try and thats it.
I just saw a highlight of Big Frank lashing a double to left but was thrown out by a mile going into second. These two have had some tough battles back in their prime but probably have faced off for the last time.

Can we get by with our minor league call-ups?

Probably not. We need Politte to get healthy and get his head screwed on straight. If that doesn't happen, KW will definitely have to make a move. Even if Cliff figures it out, KW will probably make a move.

The Dude
06-07-2006, 10:53 PM

It was obviously a loss, but you already knew that! And the way that game was played with the runners stranded and opportunities missed, I had a tough time blaming that one on him.

But I was talking about financial terms and the cost of losing players in a trade, FYI.

Lip Man 1
06-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Dorf:

And I seem to recall Haffner crushing a hanger from Logan that may still be going.

What was the result of that game again?

Lip

HotelWhiteSox
06-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Jason Grimsley is available

santo=dorf
06-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Lip, Logan was never an overhyped prospect. He was no different than some journey man reliever like Mike Morgan who has a great spring training and benefits from a bad situation.

I don't recall anyone this past offseason yelling for Boone Logan to be put in the bullpen before anyone saw him pitch, and I don't recall anyone calling him a "low risk, high reward" kind of pitcher either.

He was this year's Mike Jackson. (thankfully he didn't last until July like the moonwalker. :cool: )

Tragg
06-07-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm sorry for Nelson and I hate to see anyone get hurt.
I don't see how this affects Williams' decision to seek or not seek a trade, though....Nelson wasn't getting anyone out up here anyway and cost us 2 games in limited chances.

DSpivack
06-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Nelson is this year's Robert Person.

oeo
06-08-2006, 12:26 AM

I seem to recall the White Sox stranding something like 13 runners that game. The Sox OFFENSE lost that game, plain and simple.

Anyway, I think Kenny was just trying to catch lightning in a bottle, didn't work out. I'm one of the few that thinks our bullpen isn't that bad (maybe the only). Sure they've had some bad outings lately, but I don't believe for a second that McCarthy and Cotts will keep having bad outings...and Thornton is only going to improve. If Politte can come back from his injury and be that dominate force we saw last year, and Kenny can pick up another arm, we're pretty set.

StillMissOzzie
06-08-2006, 12:31 AM
Nelson is this year's Robert Person.

Or Jose Paniagua...

SMO
:(:

ShoelessJoeS
06-08-2006, 12:39 AM
Well this sucks. I hope he's ok, but we need to find a replacement ASAP. C'mon Kenny, work your magic!

FedEx227
06-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Or Jose Paniagua...

SMO

or Hideo Nomo?

FireMariotti
06-08-2006, 01:04 AM
At least this eliminates any chance of the sox sticking with this guy and hoping he turns it around. Obviously, Nelson is just not the pitcher he used to be, and he might have cost us a few more games if he were still in the bullpen. This just gives KW more reason to seek a quality arm for the bullpen.

SOecks
06-08-2006, 07:09 AM
Jason Grimsley is available

Aaahahahaha :D::D::D: great timing.

Minnie Me
06-08-2006, 07:52 AM
At least this eliminates any chance of the sox sticking with this guy and hoping he turns it around. Obviously, Nelson is just not the pitcher he used to be, and he might have cost us a few more games if he were still in the bullpen. This just gives KW more reason to seek a quality arm for the bullpen.

I couldn't agree more. Nelson and his little slider would have broken more hearts, its better to find out sooner than later. Dr. Morteno looked shakey as well last nite but at least he didn't walk anybody and he was not in the house of pain. He "might" get better, Nelson would have just gotten older. Goodbye Admiral Nelson and take that little slider guy with you.

Deuce
06-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Make sure he leaves a current address, so we can mail him his ring next year.

jenn2080
06-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Well isnt this just a bunch of crap. Poor guy.

bigsqwert
06-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Good riddance.

woodsdavid
06-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Today's Sun-Times article: http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-soxnt08.html

Jjav829
06-08-2006, 11:32 AM
What was everyone's favorite moment of the Jeff Nelson era?

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2006, 11:34 AM

My mother taught me that if I didn't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
:tongue:

sullythered
06-08-2006, 11:39 AM
It's time to have a talk with the Pirates. They've got a couple guys who are of great interest.

PatK
06-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Jeff's already said if it's anything serious (like surgery) he'd retire.

Nice knowin' ya!

kittle42
06-08-2006, 02:09 PM

When he couldn't get Frank Thomas out twice.

miker
06-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Or Jose Paniagua...

SMO
At least Nelson didn't flip off the fans...

BTW, what are some other contenders for shortest White Sox career?

TDog
06-08-2006, 03:53 PM
At least Nelson didn't flip off the fans...

BTW, what are some other contenders for shortest White Sox career?

No, but his pitching did, metaphorically.

I was thinking Todd Rizzo's career was shorter, but he actually pitched 8 innings in parts of two seasons, in those wonderful years preceding the 2000 division championship.

I'm sure there were Sox pitchers, like Jose Paniagua, who pitched even less.

There are a few players like Moonlight Graham whose total careers were so short that they never got up to bat. With Adam Greenberg, a former star at North Carolina, being released by the Cubs, you have to consider that one pitch he saw, or didn't see, as the case may be, a short career. He didn't even play the field that day. Apparently, he hasn't given up hope of returning to the majors, though. With a 1.000 on-base percentage on his resume, I expected him to sign with the A's instead of the Dodgers.

I remember Tony LaRussa as a former Cub because I saw him on first base for the Cubs one day after school. When I checked his playing career, I found he pinch ran on opening day and was traded without playing more than that one game.

I'm sure in more than 100 years of often wacky baseball, there has to be something as short in White Sox history.

GOGOGOPODS
06-08-2006, 04:41 PM
too bad, he was doing good with us

cws05champ
06-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Uh oh, a relief pitcher getting injured...he must have been on steriods or HGH. Don't tell the FEDS nothing!!!

buehrle4cy05
06-08-2006, 11:58 PM
That sucks. This looks like the end for Nelson.

Here's to what was a good career for him.