PDA

View Full Version : Switch Gooch and AJ?

getonbckthr
06-07-2006, 04:03 PM
I was thinking AJ is batting 35 points higher than Gooch, struckout half as many times and has a better on base percentage maybe a flip-flop would be a good idea. AJ could allow Pods to steal 2nd then either move him over or in. Meanwhile Gooch can hit for more power. True a negative would be bunching all your lefties and righties together opposed to a mix. However if they add up to more runs in the 1st-6th then maybe those situations won't mean as much in the later innings. Just an idea to kick start the lineup.

IlliniSox4Life
06-07-2006, 04:08 PM
I think part of AJs success is due to the fact that he has been basically completely ignored. I don't know if he will do too well in the 2 hole laying down bunts and what not.

Plus, it would give us a L-L-L 1-2-3 and then a whole lot of righties.

JohnTucker0814
06-07-2006, 04:10 PM
I think Iguchi's average suffers being in the 2 spot. He is expected to "sacrafice" without getting credit for a sac. If AJ is in the 2 hole his average would drop because of doing the same thing. Giving up outs to advance a runner to 3rd, or trying to do this also makes Iguchi strikeout and popup more than he would down in the line-up. Just my thoughts.

HotelWhiteSox
06-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Well, I think if Cintron ends up getting more playing time then he'd be a good #2 guy, but I think it's up to Iguchi because he was also bad in ST

Chip Z'nuff
06-07-2006, 04:22 PM
As it stands pods cannot be in scoring position or it will take the bat out of Thome's hands. A good predicament, but something has to be done. The pods on second thing really ****ed with a lot of pitchers minds and led to some pretty big innings last year.

Ol' No. 2
06-07-2006, 04:41 PM
I was thinking AJ is batting 35 points higher than Gooch, struckout half as many times and has a better on base percentage maybe a flip-flop would be a good idea. AJ could allow Pods to steal 2nd then either move him over or in. Meanwhile Gooch can hit for more power. True a negative would be bunching all your lefties and righties together opposed to a mix. However if they add up to more runs in the 1st-6th then maybe those situations won't mean as much in the later innings. Just an idea to kick start the lineup.Were you sleeping during spring training??? Iguchi couldn't hit a lick in the 6th spot.

Hawkeroo1980
06-07-2006, 04:45 PM
I was thinking AJ is batting 35 points higher than Gooch, struckout half as many times and has a better on base percentage maybe a flip-flop would be a good idea. AJ could allow Pods to steal 2nd then either move him over or in. Meanwhile Gooch can hit for more power. True a negative would be bunching all your lefties and righties together opposed to a mix. However if they add up to more runs in the 1st-6th then maybe those situations won't mean as much in the later innings. Just an idea to kick start the lineup.

Leave him right where he is.....don't disrupt his avg. That would be a Jerry manuel move

depy48
06-07-2006, 04:51 PM
No way, you can not bat A.J. second behind Pods, because A.J. tends to swing at the first pitch. Iguchi takes pitches which gives Pods a chance to steal. Batting A.J. second will remind us all of what happened it Cleveland when Pods was on first in the ninth inning, and Cintron swung at the first instead of giving him a chance to steal.

yesenia
06-07-2006, 04:52 PM
No way, you can not bat A.J. second behind Pods, because A.J. tends to swing at the first pitch. Iguchi takes pitches which gives Pods a chance to steal. Batting A.J. second will remind us all of what happened it Cleveland when Pods was on first in the ninth inning, and Cintron swung at the first instead of giving him a chance to steal.

oooohhhhhh now i get it. good point

Chip Z'nuff
06-07-2006, 04:53 PM
pods has a stop sign he isn't going to steal with thome batting 3rd

mccoydp
06-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Tinker, tinker, tinker...

Sox-o-matic
06-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Even thought AJ is hitting very well right now, he still looks bad at the plate too often for a 2 hitter IMO. It would be interesting to see how many hits he's had so far after swinging at a bad first pitch and then getting a base hit on an 0-2 or 1-2 count.

Tadahito is fine there. I think Cintron could do a good job there if he were to become a starter, but unless the Sox are willing to commit to him there every day and take some mistakes early on (which they won't do) it makes no sense moving anyone around.