PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine Dye last night

MikeLove
06-07-2006, 01:17 PM
I could be wrong, but I thought I noticed something with JD on tuesday night. He looked like he was getting pissed off. For sure after him and BA ran into eachother, and there was one other time i remember noticing it but i cant recall when it was specifically. I thought it was great.

We've heard from the Sox all year "The bats will come around, the bullpen will come around, we'll win the division, the fundamentals will come..." etc...

Well it is June now and before you know it, it will be September and it was nice to see someone with a sense of urgency. If the sox just sit on their laurels under the notion that things will come around-just because it worked out last year-maybe they will get better maybe they wont.

It just seemed to me in 2 little looks that JD had last night that him (and possibly the team) are about to get some fight in them. Like they are saying " this is 06, its june, we arent playing great, this ends now".

Im going to be labled a dark cloud even though im not pessimistic, but we all know the sox havent been pitching, hitting, or playing defense too well recently. I just want to see them get a little more proactive with their situation instead of leaving it up to the baseball Gods, which is the impression ive been getting this year so far. Lets get back to playing some hard nosed baseball with something to prove again and take back first place guys!

yesenia
06-07-2006, 01:21 PM
I think we've all been saying about the same thing you posted. Oh I saw those looks from JD as Hawk was talking about the lack of communication. I think it was one of those looks like "get the **** out of my way" It was nice to see that again.

batmanZoSo
06-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Jermaine Dye is so money.

yesenia
06-07-2006, 01:27 PM
yeah hes the poo

SoxFan76
06-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Im going to be labled a dark cloud even though im not pessimistic,

You can't say anything negative around here without being called a dark cloud.

sullythered
06-07-2006, 02:11 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again, I think Jermaine is really the leader of this team. Watch last year's DVDs and it's pretty evident. JD is the man.

fquaye149
06-07-2006, 02:17 PM

Oh bull****. It's just, please say something provoking if you're going to be negative. Don't be "if we play bad like we've been playing bad the last two weeks for the whole season we won't make the playoffs." Oh. No ****?

Honestly I don't understand the point of these kind of posts, and at the risk of going on a tangent, it's why I hate coming to this board after a loss, and especially after a bad stretch like these few. It's a ****ing joke. After a loss everyone is upset. Everyone who knows anything about baseball knows that the Sox didn't play well, or that even if they did play well they didn't play well enough. Great. Wonderful.

Well it is June now and before you know it, it will be September and it was nice to see someone with a sense of urgency. If the sox just sit on their laurels under the notion that things will come around-just because it worked out last year-maybe they will get better maybe they wont.

things like this are pointless. It's something everyone on this board has heard one million times. I'm sorry if you think I'm being kneejerk, and that other members on the board are being knee-jerk for labeling posts like this dark cloud. But it's a worthless, negative statement.

It's not saying, "Buehrle needs to stop tipping pitches," or "Has Freddy lost velocity and why?" or "Politte seems to have lost his confidence," or even "Kenny needs to do this this or this to address our shortcomings as a team," or "Ozzie needs to stop doing this or this with the lineup and start doing this and this in certain situations."

None of that is "dark cloudery". Dark cloudery is the statement above where basically all we're saying is "We're not playing well and we better start playing well or we're going to lose." Or "The Tigers are on fire and we're playing bad and that's a bad thing."

Rant over.:redface:

SoxFan76
06-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Soooooo, pointing out that the Sox are playing like **** right now makes me a dark cloud? I don't understand your rant.

MikeLove
06-07-2006, 02:20 PM
he is having a stellar season too, probably quieter than anyone else in the majors. He gets overshadowed by guys on his own team that already get overshadowed by a lot! I think he is our MVP so far this season. Thome has bigger numbers, but it seems like a lot of Thome's heroics come early in the game or not at all. I don't want to get into a shoop or whatever that guy is scoring system, but I think JD's #'s have been more important so far. Hell, he tried to put the team on his back in cleveland the other night but they kept falling off =P

On a side note: One of my roomates is a big royals fan and always refers to him as Ex- Royal Jermaine Dye. It cracks me up. In 20 years people won't be saying former Wold Series MVP Jermaine Dye, they will say Ex-Royal :rolleyes:

Fuller_Schettman
06-07-2006, 02:21 PM

I disagree, and you can call me a dark, dark cloud for saying so. I think there is plenty of constructive criticism around here. I read it every day. The folks that are being called dark clouds are the ones who always post like they are Out on The Ledge after a tough loss. I was going to add a tough stretch, but for the Dark Cloud, it doesn't take a stretch. These are the folks that want to throw out the baby with the bath water after Cotts gives up a game losing HR or Uribe throws away an inning ending DP.

They know who they are. And if you are going to take the extreme view that anything negative is forbidden, then maybe you are one of them.

Because that is just the kind of thing a Dark Cloud would say...

Signed,
Cirrus Maximus

Palehose13
06-07-2006, 02:23 PM
I think we've all been saying about the same thing you posted. Oh I saw those looks from JD as Hawk was talking about the lack of communication. I think it was one of those looks like "get the **** out of my way" It was nice to see that again.

Semms like BA "almost" runs into JD alot. If I were JD, I'd be pretty pissed at the rookie too.

:dye:
"Get the **** out of my space, rook."

MikeLove
06-07-2006, 02:24 PM
things like this are pointless. It's something everyone on this board has heard one million times. I'm sorry if you think I'm being kneejerk, and that other members on the board are being knee-jerk for labeling posts like this dark cloud. But it's a worthless, negative statement.

That was my opinion based on all the interviews and stuff i've heard with the players this year. And I guess basically a little towards Chris Ronge (sp?) who's post game shows consist of "they'll come around" to every caller that has a complaint. I'm not saying they won't come around either, just that it looked like JD last night felt like it was time to go out and try to MAKE things come around.

fquaye149
06-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Soooooo, pointing out that the Sox are playing like **** right now makes me a dark cloud? I don't understand your rant.
it seems like you understand my rant perfectly.

Thinking the Sox are playing like **** does not make you a dark cloud. It means you have two working eyes. Harping on the fact, bemoaning the fact, etc. etc. without actually addressing anything beisdes "we're playing like ****," makes you a dark cloud.

If all you have to say about the Sox is "if we keep playing like this we'll miss the playoffs" you're not saying a goddamned thing. I'm not talking about your posts specifically. I don't even have any offhand idea about what the majority of your posts are like. I'm talking about the tendency of posters to just say "GOD WE SUCK" or "THE TIGERS ARE COMING" and nothing else in postgame threads and when they get called out on being a dark cloud, bitching about the "Dark Cloud persecution" on this site. Just like the so-called "cubsessed persecution" we had a big blow up over.

Do you understand?

this is me at the grand canyon. Do you understand?:wink:

edit: for instance, see Hangar last year when Dye started out slow. Hangar said

"Kenny was TOO Cheap
TO Get a Real OUTFIELDER Unlike
Jim Hendry WHO is GOD."

Ignoring the fact that Dye is a slow starter, generally, adn that Dye has pretty good numbers in general. He didn't look at anything that might have led to Dye's bad numbers, just kept saying over and over how we would never win with him in the lineup. This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about, and that's why when someone says "they'll come around," they're not being a Pollyanna, nor if someone says "we're not hitting well at the bottom of our order and we need to address bullpen issues," they're not being a dark cloud.

Minnie Me
06-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Its a hard road to the promised land. Its a hard rain a gonna fall.

Positives still outweigh negatives for this team.

If we played a seven game series with the Cardinals right now I think we would win 4-2.

Relax and enjoy the ride. Most other teams would love our "problems"

MikeLove
06-07-2006, 02:33 PM
major league II was on the other day. THAT guy is the definition of dark cloud!

ilsox7
06-07-2006, 02:36 PM
it seems like you understand my rant perfectly.

Thinking the Sox are playing like **** does not make you a dark cloud. It means you have two working eyes. Harping on the fact, bemoaning the fact, etc. etc. without actually addressing anything beisdes "we're playing like ****," makes you a dark cloud.

If all you have to say about the Sox is "if we keep playing like this we'll miss the playoffs" you're not saying a goddamned thing. I'm not talking about your posts specifically. I don't even have any offhand idea about what the majority of your posts are like. I'm talking about the tendency of posters to just say "GOD WE SUCK" or "THE TIGERS ARE COMING" and nothing else in postgame threads and when they get called out on being a dark cloud, bitching about the "Dark Cloud persecution" on this site. Just like the so-called "cubsessed persecution" we had a big blow up over.

Do you understand?

this is me at the grand canyon. Do you understand?:wink:

edit: for instance, see Hangar last year when Dye started out slow. Hangar said

"Kenny was TOO Cheap
TO Get a Real OUTFIELDER Unlike
Jim Hendry WHO is GOD."

Ignoring the fact that Dye is a slow starter, generally, adn that Dye has pretty good numbers in general. He didn't look at anything that might have led to Dye's bad numbers, just kept saying over and over how we would never win with him in the lineup. This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about, and that's why when someone says "they'll come around," they're not being a Pollyanna, nor if someone says "we're not hitting well at the bottom of our order and we need to address bullpen issues," they're not being a dark cloud.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm as polar opposite as you can get to a Dark Cloud, but I have had plenty of comments about how poorly we have been playing as of late. The difference is, a Dark Cloud thinks b/c the team had played poorly for a few weeks that the season is doomed. A rational baseball fan understands that teams go through these things. Many of the Dark Clouds also only show up after losses and are nowhere to be seen after wins.

SOXPHILE
06-07-2006, 02:37 PM
I was thinking the same thing. When Anderson and him bumped into each other, he had this pissed off look on his face. I can't say I blame him, because whether it was his or Anderson's fault, they looked like Little Leaguers on that play, and I think he knew it. Hawk & D.J. were saying how this shouldn't be happening too. Work on the communication out there guys. The only thing I'll say in their defense is maybe it was hard to hear each other with all the screaming fans, because it looked like they were both yelling "I got it". Don't know, and here's hoping it doesn't happen again.

SoxFan76
06-07-2006, 02:38 PM
I know what you're saying. Post game threads after losses are the worst.

"If we keep playing like this there won't be a post-season on the southside this year."

Homefish-esque qoutes. However, I do not take back my original statement. People are very quick to bust out the "dark cloud" tag around here. Same for the Flubsessed term. But let's not get that started again! :cool:

getonbckthr
06-07-2006, 02:44 PM
As far as i'm concerned the centerfielder is in charge in the outfield whether he is a rookie or a 13 yr vet. Any ball the centerfielder can get too is his no matter who the left or right fielder is. The other day was a perfect example when Pablo was diving all over the place. If he would have left them to Brian he maybe catches them with at worst them being singles. JD is having a great year offensively however with his calf problems earlier in the season and him being years older than Brian, I would rather see the rook running all over the place making the catches and limiting the vets.

pdimas
06-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Semms like BA "almost" runs into JD alot. If I were JD, I'd be pretty pissed at the rookie too.

:dye:
"Get the **** out of my space, rook."

My dad pointed that out at the game as well. Then some guy behind me goes that ball was the centerfielders call. To which I responded normally I would agree but not when its a rookie and the right fielder is Jermaine Dye.

jenn2080
06-07-2006, 02:48 PM
I dont think this thread was meant to turn into a "dark cloud". There are alot of good points here. There needs to be better communication and everyone does keep saying we will come around we will come around. Well we arent doing Horrible but we sure are not doing great. So hopefully some changes will be made soon

champagne030
06-07-2006, 03:01 PM
My dad pointed that out at the game as well. Then some guy behind me goes that ball was the centerfielders call. To which I responded normally I would agree but not when its a rookie and the right fielder is Jermaine Dye.

And I respond to this with a loud bull****. One, it is the CF's ball unless the RF is in a better position to make a throw on a tagging runner. Two, Anderson is better in the field than Dye.

MikeLove
06-07-2006, 03:14 PM
eh, dye was closer to the ball if i can remember. Technically, the CF's ball since he called for it and hes the captain of the outfield but I think Dye had the easier play and thats just something that gets worked out from playing with the same guys. They arent extremely comfortable with eachother, and im sure with what the sox trot out there defensively in CF now when anderson isnt in, Dye has made it a point to try to get to more balls in the OF

ilsox7
06-07-2006, 03:15 PM
And I respond to this with a loud bull****. One, it is the CF's ball unless the RF is in a better position to make a throw on a tagging runner. Two, Anderson is better in the field than Dye.

Yep. It makes no difference if the CF is a rookie or not. He's a major league CF. JD and BA obviously need to get together and work something out. But that was not JD's ball by any means.

Bobbo35
06-07-2006, 03:23 PM
JD is the leader of this team. He is a great team player that leads by example. I have the utmost respect for a guy who comes to an organization for less money and does it because he wants to win. Complete class!!!

getonbckthr
06-07-2006, 03:41 PM
JD is the leader of this team. He is a great team player that leads by example. I have the utmost respect for a guy who comes to an organization for less money and does it because he wants to win. Complete class!!!
He can be the team leader, you can have as much respect for him as you want, and it is admirable to take less money for a better oppertunity, but it doesn't change the fact in the outfield the centerfielder, no matter who it is, is in charge. If he wants a flyball and can get to it, it is his no matter where the right or left fielder is.

miker
06-07-2006, 03:45 PM
I love old-time hard-nosed players like Jermaine Dye, almost as much as I love hyphenated adjectives!

It's part of BA's learning curve. JD was pissed because he cares and if BA becomes a great defensive outfielder, one of the guys he will thank is JD.

hawkjt
06-07-2006, 05:21 PM
AS hawk said last nite- its a good thing JD is so much taller than BA or that ball probably drops.

I wonder if it is just so loud out there this year that they have struggled to get the communication clear?

clearly Pablo has to yield to BA in the future and really JD should also. But that could have been a gray area ball, I guess.

MarySwiss
06-07-2006, 05:36 PM
I love old-time hard-nosed players like Jermaine Dye, almost as much as I love hyphenated adjectives!

Good one! :tongue:

wassagstdu
06-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Seems like BA "almost" runs into JD alot. If I were JD, I'd be pretty pissed at the rookie too.

Center fielder has the right of way on anything he can get to, no? Maybe he's not calling Dye off, or maybe its the sellout crowds making too much noise.