PDA

View Full Version : Thomas on Fox last night

phaedrus
02-05-2002, 12:28 PM
anybody else catch his interview with Corey McPherin? CM asked him how he felt about no longer being considered in the elite group of players and whether he's worked out all the trouble he had in the previous 2 springs. Thomas said he feels confident he can re-establish himself this year. the thing that ticked me off was that he said the issues from last year haven't been resolved yet and we'll wait and see. here the guy gets his first interview of the year and falls into the same trap again. why not say that he's focusing on playing ball and getting back to 100% and that things will work out? even if it's crap it's the right thing to say. as it is, he made it sound like he's in the same mood as last year which did nobody any good. I just want a focused, healthy Frank Thomas - '00 seems like so long ago.

Nellsin
02-05-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by phaedrus
here the guy gets his first interview of the year and falls into the same trap again. why not say that he's focusing on playing ball and getting back to 100% and that things will work out? even if it's crap it's the right thing to say.

Of course it is, and you ask an excellent question I've pondered for years. I didn't see this particluar interview but I've concluded that Frank is simply incapable of going along that way. Surely people -- probably lots of people -- have counseled him to try it, but he won't/can't do it. Call it a stubborn streak, call it bitterness over past perceived slights, call it a personality disorder -- whatever, it's imbedded deep in his character and is the unfortunate flip side of the focussed, competitive drive that is a huge part of his talent. I try to ignore it and just think about his numbers and watching him hit the ball out of the park. But it's disappointing, and sad.

cheeses_h_rice
02-05-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Nellsin

Of course it is, and you ask an excellent question I've pondered for years. I didn't see this particluar interview but I've concluded that Frank is simply incapable of going along that way. Surely people -- probably lots of people -- have counseled him to try it, but he won't/can't do it. Call it a stubborn streak, call it bitterness over past perceived slights, call it a personality disorder -- whatever, it's imbedded deep in his character and is the unfortunate flip side of the focussed, competitive drive that is a huge part of his talent. I try to ignore it and just think about his numbers and watching him hit the ball out of the park. But it's disappointing, and sad.

McPherrin came out and was talking about how with Frank Thomas, the past few years it's always been some problem that happens in Spring Training, from the blowup with JM in '00 to the contract walkout in '01. Then he followed that up and directly asked Frank if everything was sorted out. Frank said that he was going to be coming to ST and was looking forward to playing this year, but then he said that everything was not ironed out with his contract, but he would still work through it. It's not like Frank opened the interview on that note of his own accord. To his credit, he did not provide specifics. I think he just wants it to be known that he still has problems, and the fact the he didn't get into it any further than that is probably an improvement from a PR standpoint.

Baby steps, baby steps...

Nellsin
02-05-2002, 01:45 PM
From your lips to God's ears, cheeses, nothing would please me more than seeing Frank progress that way. Thanks for the context, that does help.

Dadawg_77
02-05-2002, 01:50 PM
I think people need to realize that Frank is the type of person that says what he thinks, if he is mad at somthing, he will express it as he does when he is happy with something. He hasn't pick up or doesn't care for handling the media. frankly, I don't care, I just want him to put up numbers and entertain me by winning games.

AsInWreck
02-05-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Yeah, by the time he retires he'll probably be a real class act.

CubKilla
02-05-2002, 08:37 PM
At least with Frank, like it or not, he tells you how he feels. It's not like he's a trained chimp that has a PR person who tells him to say all the right things, runs around the infield with an American flag after hitting a HR in a staged, post tragedy PR move, badnames ex-teammates and labels them "cancers," and skips out on the teams Loserpalooza cause he's sailling the Carribean on his yacht.

WinningUgly!
02-05-2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow
At least with Frank, like it or not, he tells you how he feels. It's not like he's a trained chimp that has a PR person who tells him to say all the right things, runs around the infield with an American flag after hitting a HR in a staged, post tragedy PR move, badnames ex-teammates and labels them "cancers," and skips out on the teams Loserpalooza cause he's sailling the Carribean on his yacht.

Exactly! Frank gives the straight answer, not rehearsed politically correct BS like Sosa & countless others do. He doesn't have a "colorful"personality like a Charles Barkley or someone like that, so when he speaks the truth, he gets ripped apart for it. Karl Malone gets the same treatment as Frank Thomas. All they want is to do their job & win. Neither guy has a very media-friendly personality & both guys get beat up for speaking the truth & admitting when something is wrong. Remember Sosa's "Baseball been berry, berry goot to me" line at the All Star HR contest a few years ago? It didn't matter what question he was going to be asked! What time is it Sammy? What are your thoughts Sammy? How do you remove Marriotti's lipstick from your ass Sammy? The guy would have answed with the same prepared line..."Baseball been berry, berry goot to me". Sad, really.

czalgosz
02-05-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Exactly! Frank gives the straight answer, not rehearsed politically correct BS like Sosa & countless others do. He doesn't have a "colorful"personality like a Charles Barkley or someone like that, so when he speaks the truth, he gets ripped apart for it. Karl Malone gets the same treatment as Frank Thomas. All they want is to do their job & win. Neither guy has a very media-friendly personality & both guys get beat up for speaking the truth & admitting when something is wrong. Remember Sosa's "Baseball been berry, berry goot to me" line at the All Star HR contest a few years ago? It didn't matter what question he was going to be asked! What time is it Sammy? What are your thoughts Sammy? How do you remove Marriotti's lipstick from your ass Sammy? The guy would have answed with the same prepared line..."Baseball been berry, berry goot to me". Sad, really.

I really don't care what Thomas has to say, as long as it doesn't negatively affect his or anyone else's play.

Barry Bonds is probably the biggest jerk in baseball, and people in San Francisco could care less. IMO, that is the correct additude to have. As long as Thomas hits, I really don't care what his opinion of his contract is.

rmusacch
02-05-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

McPherrin came out and was talking about how with Frank Thomas, the past few years it's always been some problem that happens in Spring Training, from the blowup with JM in '00 to the contract walkout in '01. Then he followed that up and directly asked Frank if everything was sorted out. Frank said that he was going to be coming to ST and was looking forward to playing this year, but then he said that everything was not ironed out with his contract, but he would still work through it. It's not like Frank opened the interview on that note of his own accord. To his credit, he did not provide specifics. I think he just wants it to be known that he still has problems, and the fact the he didn't get into it any further than that is probably an improvement from a PR standpoint.

**** Frank. Nobody put a gun to his head and made him sign that long term contract. I am sure the seasons that he sucked or last year when he was hurt he did not give any money back. He wanted the security of a long term contract and does not want to live by the terms. I hate it when athletes bitch about their contracts. Frank will make more this year than some people make in their lifetime. Screw him.

voodoochile
02-06-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by

**** Frank. Nobody put a gun to his head and made him sign that long term contract. I am sure the seasons that he sucked or last year when he was hurt he did not give any money back. He wanted the security of a long term contract and does not want to live by the terms. I hate it when athletes bitch about their contracts. Frank will make more this year than some people make in their lifetime. Screw him.

Let's look at those stats from the season's he "sucked"...

He averaged

.285 BA
151 H
99 BB
22HR
36 2B
93 RBI
.397 OBP
.875 OPS

Those might not be up to Frank's standards, but I would hardly call it sucking. He also missed the last month of 1999 which might have brought up his numbers (which are a straight average between the seasons and are not recalculated based on number of at bats). All of that while dealing with his divorce and his fathers terminal illness AND playing on a bone deposit in his foot the size of a walnut that the doctors said would have put most people flat on their back, let alone allowing them to play a professional sport. Jeez cut him some slack.

I am not saying Frank handles the media in this town the best or that he is the most glib speaker in the history of sports, but man, some of you act like he killed someone or something. You know what? I like Frank Thomas. I think he is a class act. I hope he retires as a member of the Sox even if he only puts up numbers like the one stated above. Man bunch of whiney people...

I'm trying to be nice here, but some of this crap really cheeses me off. The man is one of the great hitters of all time. He doesn't want to play anywhere but here and he has been a consistent offensive powerhouse for his whole career. He is a first ballot HOF player, and a case can be made that he is the best right handed hitter ever. Meanwhile Shoeless Joe gets idolized for putting up numbers that are not as good AND he helped throw the Series (until anyone proves otherwise that is the fact). What the *** does Frank have to do to prove himself? Grow wings and fly to the moon?

voodoochile
02-06-2002, 12:54 AM
Oh and one other thing... Here are some words straight from the Big Man's mouth...

No Sox player has been around longer than Thomas, and fans reminded him of that all weekend. He received a standing ovation when introduced Saturday, and one fan even thanked Thomas for choosing to sign a long-term agreement to stay on the South Side.

"This is my 12th season, and it's more like it's finally home now," Thomas said. "I live in Chicago. I know the tradition this team has. The team wants to win. The city wants to win. We came so close in the last decade. In (the strike year of) '94, I know in my heart we would have won it all. And in '96 we were right there.

"We've come close for so many years, and that's why 2000 was so disappointing for me. I felt this team could've gone to the next level. We just couldn't get it done in the playoffs. The type of team we've got now, with all this experience, I think we've got players now that can get us back to that level and go on to the next level

http://chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,174348,00.html