PDA

View Full Version : Is U.S. Cellular getting a bang for all its bucks?

Chez
06-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Sox fans have benefitted greatly from all the money poured into the ballpark by U.S. Cellular to finance the many improvements to the park. My question is, how many of you have switched your wireless service to U.S. Cellular as a direct result of their investment in the White Sox? I haven't; but can't, for the life of me, figure out why I haven't! If ever a company deserved my business it's U.S. Cellular! Thoughts?

cbone
06-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Not as long as Joan is the spokesperson, she really grates on me.

ramorgan1
06-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Not as long as Joan is the spokesperson, she really grates on me. i also hate her

itsnotrequired
06-07-2006, 10:55 AM
US Cellular is losing its shirt with all the 20% savings on Wednesdays nights.

roylestillman
06-07-2006, 11:03 AM
I will admit that in the midst of that biblical rainstorm on Opening Night it seemed that at the park only those folks with US Cellular service were able to get through to other survivors.

Palehose13
06-07-2006, 11:48 AM
I will admit that in the midst of that biblical rainstorm on Opening Night it seemed that at the park only those folks with US Cellular service were able to get through to other survivors.

Pffft...I was able to make calls with Cingular. I love Cingular and won't leave it no matter how much US Cellular spends on the White Sox. I won't drink pepsi either. :wink:

TornLabrum
06-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Pffft...I was able to make calls with Cingular. I love Cingular and won't leave it no matter how much US Cellular spends on the White Sox. I won't drink pepsi either. :wink:

I drink Diet Pepsi at games because that's what they sell. At home I drink Coke Zero.

Edward
06-07-2006, 11:57 AM
I won't drink pepsi either. :wink:

Amen! God that stuff is awful. Diet Coke for me.

CynicSox
06-07-2006, 12:05 PM
I fail to see the correlation here. People should become US Cellular customers because of what they've done to the stadium? I'll keep that in mind when I fly next time, that I must fly United, you know, cause of the United Center. I wonder if Lakers fans shop entirely at Staples for their office supplies?

nsdjoe
06-07-2006, 12:10 PM
I used to have U.S. Cellular (when they bought customers from PrimeCo) and the service (at least where I lived) was awful.

I switched to Cingular and haven't looked back.

Edward
06-07-2006, 12:12 PM
I fail to see the correlation here. People should become US Cellular customers because of what they've done to the stadium? I'll keep that in mind when I fly next time, that I must fly United, you know, cause of the United Center. I wonder if Lakers fans shop entirely at Staples for their office supplies?

I was thinking about joining the service because of my devout dedication to the Bears.

The Dude
06-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Sox fans have benefitted greatly from all the money poured into the ballpark by U.S. Cellular to finance the many improvements to the park. My question is, how many of you have switched your wireless service to U.S. Cellular as a direct result of their investment in the White Sox? I haven't; but can't, for the life of me, figure out why I haven't! If ever a company deserved my business it's U.S. Cellular! Thoughts?

No way would i switch to the Joan network! I have nextel and dont plan on switching any time soon.

CynicSox
06-07-2006, 12:15 PM
*spits out Wrigley chewing gum* Ahhhh how could I!?!?

thepaulbowski
06-07-2006, 12:15 PM
I go where the best deal is. Currently I have Cingular (despite the fact they are a Cubs sponsor.)

yesenia
06-07-2006, 12:23 PM
*spits out Wrigley chewing gum* Ahhhh how could I!?!?

For shame....

CynicSox
06-07-2006, 12:28 PM
For shame....

It's ok. I washed the taste out with an ice cold Miller Lite. Miller Lite, yes!

yesenia
06-07-2006, 12:30 PM
thats the way to do it:gulp:

SoxFan76
06-07-2006, 12:58 PM
It's funny, I love the White Sox but I have a Nextel, I hate Pepsi, and I hate Miller Lite. (I do like MGD though)

Ok, maybe it's not that funny...

fincher
06-07-2006, 01:06 PM
I have U.S. Cellular and the service is great. If the service and price plans were lousy, I would go elsewhere. I get 1500 National no-roaming minutes for $45.

It doesn't matter to me who has the naming rights to the park.

RichFitztightly
06-07-2006, 02:09 PM

I think that's the point of this discussion. U.S. Cellular is obviously paying a lot of money for the naming rights. Now they aren't doing that out of the goodness of their hearts, they want to be able to profit from it. The original poster is trying to get an idea about whether or not it is smart to spend millions of dollars naming a sports stadium.

Of course you're right... nobody has to use U.S. Cellular, and that's the point. Judging by these comments, I'd say naming rights has little to do with attracting new subscribers, which is not what U.S. Cellular would like to hear.

fincher
06-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Judging by these comments, I'd say naming rights has little to do with attracting new subscribers, which is not what U.S. Cellular would like to hear.

Well, U.S. Cellular's customer base in Chicago is growing at a fast clip. I don't think this forum is representative of it customers. The fact is, the naming rights, the Sox winning it all, very competitive price plans and good service spell positive growth.

Jack Rooney, CEO of U.S. Cellular and lifelong Sox fan, dropped $68 million over 20 years for the naming rights. In the wireless business, that's not a lot of dough.

Max Power
06-07-2006, 02:25 PM
I think that's the point of this discussion. U.S. Cellular is obviously paying a lot of money for the naming rights. Now they aren't doing that out of the goodness of their hearts, they want to be able to profit from it. The original poster is trying to get an idea about whether or not it is smart to spend millions of dollars naming a sports stadium.

Of course you're right... nobody has to use U.S. Cellular, and that's the point. Judging by these comments, I'd say naming rights has little to do with attracting new subscribers, which is not what U.S. Cellular would like to hear.

In addition to naming rights they also funded the renovations that we all love. So it's not quite like United buying the naming rights for the United Center, of which they had no impact on. The US Cellular renovation would not have been done without their money- though if they hadn't done it perhaps another company would have).

That being said I'm quite content with T-Mobile, plus they have a hot spokesperson.

WestSider
06-07-2006, 02:36 PM
I think having their name on the park puts the US Cellular name on the tip of everyone's tongue. People are bombarded with the name all the time, so when they hear other ads, they might be more inclined to pay attention.

Just my opinion.

I am a US Cellular subscriber, but thr reason is only because of the price plan and coverage where I used to live (a high rise, US Cellular was the only good local service). It is not because their name is on the park.

By the way, I still call it Comiskey Park!

Timmy D's
06-07-2006, 02:49 PM
My wife and I and my oldest boy all have our cell service through U.S. Cellular. Maybe it just was good advertising as I didnt really set out to "support" the cause so to speak. Hey it must work cause I just traded in the wifes 03' Tahoe for an 07' black one. The same exact one on the bill board I've been hopin' Thome hits all year. The ole subliminal adverttising trick I guess.:(: Oh well, just 60 more outrageous payments, and she's all ours.:whiner:

miker
06-07-2006, 03:03 PM
That being said I'm quite content with T-Mobile, plus they have a hot spokesperson.
You never saw those pictures of her pregnant and smoking, did you?

As for the current debate, I'm looking for a wireless provider, but I'm going to base my decision on many other factors other than what name is on the White Sox stadium.

ewokpelts
06-07-2006, 03:03 PM
It's paid off.
Aside from the aforementioned local market increase, US Cellular's name has been shoved down the Sports world's throats since 2003.
1 ASG
1 WS(and counting)
1 ALCS(and counting)
1 ALDS(and counting)
as well as all the increased national fox/espn broadcasts

The naming rights deal was aploy to increase national sales for USC.

Gene

RealMenWearBlack
06-07-2006, 03:35 PM
My parents signed up for their plan at the store near the left field corner before a game last year. I probably would have gone with the Razr deal earlier this year if my contract was up. The service is good in most places.

Huisj
06-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Sadly, I can't get US Cellular here in mid Michigan. There are no places that sell their service here, and if you look up my zip code on their website, it says they don't operate here.

fincher
06-07-2006, 04:08 PM
My parents signed up for their plan at the store near the left field corner before a game last year. I probably would have gone with the Razr deal earlier this year if my contract was up. The service is good in most places.

Yes. And the pricing is very competitive. Love the free incoming.

brewcrew/chisox
06-07-2006, 04:21 PM

Isn't that why US Cellular dumped all that money into the stadium, so that people would be persuaded to buy their product?

It's called marketing.

getonbckthr
06-07-2006, 04:37 PM
I also am a Cingularite (still can;t figure the peanut butter jelly time problem) and also anti-pepsi. I'm a coke only guy, (sorry again for going Farmio) No not that white powdery stuff, but ya the Classic stuff.

jabrch
06-07-2006, 06:28 PM
I'm not sure if it is showing up in terms of new subscribers, but they are getting much much much more positive PR than they paid for based on the attention and attendence this team has gotten.

chisoxfan64
06-07-2006, 07:02 PM
The thing that I am really curious about is how many phones and plans do you think they actually sell at the store there.

Red Barchetta
06-07-2006, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure if it is showing up in terms of new subscribers, but they are getting much much much more positive PR than they paid for based on the attention and attendence this team has gotten.

I agree. They made their money back in PR/Advertising every time the announcers mentioned "US Cellular Field" during the postseason and on ESPN, etc., etc., etc. Any new subscribers based on fan loyalty, etc. is just icing on the cake.

Regarding the store inside the ballpark, I can't imagine too many impulse buys. Again, mostly PR.

pearso66
06-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Sadly, I can't get US Cellular here in mid Michigan. There are no places that sell their service here, and if you look up my zip code on their website, it says they don't operate here.

Thats why I don't have it either. I was at school at MSU in East Lansing, and US Cellular isn't offered there. In fact, no one there has heard of it. I really think its Chicago based, and hasn't grown yet. I had T-Mobile, and the service sucked in East Lansing, also at home, there are many roads I would drive down and have no service. I finally got Verizon, and they have been great so far.