PDA

View Full Version : ? About Pick-To-Clicks

nug0hs
06-06-2006, 03:34 PM
As you know, at the start of every game, Hawk, DJ, and the Crew select their "Picks To Click". I have been watching Sox games for 21 years now, and I still don't know how the winner is chosen. What exactly does a player have to do to "click" ?

itsnotrequired
06-06-2006, 03:53 PM
They get an e-mail from Daver.

:redneck

MarySwiss
06-06-2006, 04:15 PM

:rolling:

Dan Mega
06-06-2006, 04:18 PM

Post of the Week.

PAPChiSox729
06-06-2006, 05:53 PM

So that's why Hawk had that patch over his eye. Nice shot, Daver.

PKalltheway
06-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Seriously guys, I'm wondering too. How is a winner chosen?

ondafarm
06-07-2006, 12:57 AM

Here at WSI, Daver (or designated replacement umpire) chooses.

My guess as to their criteria is: the player who makes the most significant contribution to the White Sox victory or the most valiant effort in defeat.

My second guess: [ . . . editted for further review . . . ]

ondafarm
06-07-2006, 01:10 AM
A word of advice on arguing pick-to-clicks. DON'T.

A second word, "Never make statements in the subjunctive about being banned." (Okay, that was nine words.) Some judges just aren't going to parse them as subjunctive.

oeo
06-07-2006, 01:10 AM

I'm guessing Hawk picks it, he wins every year. :tongue:

getonbckthr
06-07-2006, 01:59 AM
I think scoring is like this:
single=1pt, double=2, triple=3, hr=4, sac=1, sb=1, run=1,rbi=1,error=(-1), pickoff=(-1) at least thats how my friends and family do it.

Iwritecode
06-07-2006, 10:19 AM
As you know, at the start of every game, Hawk, DJ, and the Crew select their "Picks To Click". I have been watching Sox games for 21 years now, and I still don't know how the winner is chosen. What exactly does a player have to do to "click" ?

The way I've always understood it, it's the player that had the "best" game out of the three that were picked.

As far as the exact criteria if the stats are similiar, I'm with OEO in thinking that Hawk makes the final decision. He's always way ahead in the standings.

MikeLove
06-07-2006, 12:34 PM
im pretty sure they pick a winner each game, and also keep differnt tabs on comcast and WGN. So it would seem to be whichever player does the best out of the 3. Yeah Hawk always wins (although the crew did have the most the other day when i think it was on WGN), maybe he actually is a baseball genius. He probably just gets the first pick every day and also decides the winner, i mean he did invent it right? =P

SoxFan76
06-07-2006, 01:17 PM
It's all about who has the best game in general.

BUT, if Konerko goes 3-4 with 2 homers and 4 RBI and Ross Gload goes 2-4 with a homer and 3 RBI, Gload will get the PTC in most cases because...well...we expect Konerko to go 3-4 with a couple bombs. Or maybe Buerhle goes 6 innings, 1 run but Montero goes the final 3 innings giving up nothing in a 1 run game. Montero would get the edge over Buehrle because we expect Buerhle to perform like that.

This is what Hawk has said during broadcasts.

Make sense?

MikeLove
06-07-2006, 01:19 PM
provided someone actually picked montero as their ptc, right?

SoxFan76
06-07-2006, 01:25 PM
provided someone actually picked montero as their ptc, right?

It doesn't matter if nobody picks that person.

But in reality, nobody would pick a reliever in general, let alone Montero.

MikeLove
06-07-2006, 01:35 PM
im pretty sure it does. There is no way they get so many right!

SoxFan76
06-07-2006, 01:40 PM
im pretty sure it does. There is no way they get so many right!

I won't say you're wrong because I'm not 100% sure myself. However, if Hawk picks AJ, DJ picks Crede, and the Crew picks Buerhle...what if all 3 have a crappy day? That's why I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter who picks who.

Iwritecode
06-07-2006, 01:50 PM
I won't say you're wrong because I'm not 100% sure myself. However, if Hawk picks AJ, DJ picks Crede, and the Crew picks Buerhle...what if all 3 have a crappy day? That's why I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter who picks who.

That was a point brought up when the PTC was first started at this site. I believe they pick a winner out of the players chosen.

Here, Daver picks a winner and if nobody chose him, too bad.

MikeLove
06-07-2006, 01:51 PM
do they even pick pitchers on the broadcast? I want to say no, but I guess I cant be sure.

TornLabrum
06-07-2006, 02:26 PM
That was a point brought up when the PTC was first started at this site. I believe they pick a winner out of the players chosen.

Here, Daver picks a winner and if nobody chose him, too bad.

And the best part is, if you don't agree with Daver,

TWANNNNNG......................................... .......................Thunk

ondafarm
06-07-2006, 02:50 PM
I believe they pick a winner out of the players chosen.

I've seen plenty of times when no one got the PTC right.

Last year, before my forced suspension, I was right up there with the guys (ahead of DJ and Crew, behind the Hawk.) I sent an email to the HawkandDJ@comcast.net (or whatever) and got a response back (from someone on the crew) asking whom I like in the next series. Hawk makes the final call, but from all the players involved in the game. The game I was forced into retirement over arguing about (NB, not a comment, simply a statement of fact) I actually had picked before the game the player, Iguchi, who Hawk picked after the game, but Daver selected another player. None of the three had Iguchi that night.

do they even pick pitchers on the broadcast? I want to say no, but I guess I cant be sure..

I never recall them picking a pitcher. Hawk seemed to start this after Drysdale left. Drysdale always rooted for the pitchers, ours or theirs.

MikeLove
06-07-2006, 03:25 PM
so basically

pick to click basically works something like this (on broadcasts):

1) Arbitrarily Enforced Rules

32) Hawk Wins

itsnotrequired
06-07-2006, 03:43 PM
so basically

pick to click basically works something like this (on broadcasts):

1) Arbitrarily Enforced Rules

32) Hawk Wins

Sort of like the rules around here.

:tongue:

Iwritecode
06-07-2006, 04:21 PM

I thought the arrows were reserved for trolls and the elephant gun is brought out for PTC disputes...

CLR01
06-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Sort of like the rules around here.

:tongue:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1330&d=1067553269

There have been 57 games and I only have 19 points. I don't always win.

:smile:

CLR01
06-07-2006, 08:33 PM

TWANG...Thunk??? :dunno:

ondafarm
06-07-2006, 08:40 PM
TWANG...Thunk??? :dunno:

Having fired an elephant gun, I can tell you it's more like:

BANG!! . . . . . . Thunk.

ode to veeck
06-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Having fired an elephant gun <...>

practicing for something we don't know about?