PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Yankee Payroll Numbers

Procol Harum
02-05-2002, 11:47 AM
File under "What We're Up Against": ESPN gives a little more concrete info from a story in the NY Post about what the Yankee payroll is shaping up to be:

http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0205/1323065.html

Hint: It's about 65% bigger than ours... :o:

Cheryl
02-05-2002, 11:53 AM
And David Wells is about 65% bigger than any of our pitchers. Your point?

Procol Harum
02-05-2002, 12:00 PM
The point being that this reaffirms what most of us already know (besides the fact that Wells is--well they say he's slimmed down 30 lbs., ,so he's only about 48% bigger... :smile: )that it's gonna take one of two things to have a legit shot at winning it ALL (and as Sox fans, I thought that's what we are keen to do) in this here baseball thing:

1.) A lot of money (and/or a willingness to spend it if ya got it)
or, alternatively,
2.) An uncommon amount of baseball acumen, savvy, and luck.

Both of these winning options seem to be in real short supply on the South Side of late...

Cheryl
02-05-2002, 12:22 PM
I know, but I couldn't resist.

Of the two, we'd be better off if we had anyone on the southside with an uncommon amount of baseball acumen, savvy, and luck.

The Yanks have that and Steinbrenner, who hates to lose and will open his wallet when he needs to.

dougs78
02-05-2002, 03:42 PM
THat number is simply staggering to me. I mean 130 million? It made me wonder what would happen if all the sudden the Sox got an additional 80 million to spend on this years club.

We could literally have signed: Bonds, Giambi, Juan Gone, Boone, Damon, Park, Sele, and Isringhausen......probably with a slight amount left to spare....That is just obscene. And we wonder how it is that the yankees get better players and teams that we do. Not to mention the fact we would then be able to trade Lee, Konerko and Durham (at the very least) which brings in other good players as well as clearing out another ~15 million in salary. It just makes me sick to think that is the way baseball is played these days.