PDA

View Full Version : What's you opinion on the changes to The Cell?!

Thome25
06-06-2006, 08:34 AM
I haven't lived in Chicago in about 3 1/2 years now so I haven't been able to get out to the park to see all of the wonderful changes they've made over the last few years. I used to go to the ballpark 3-4 times a year but, that was before most of the changes.

I wanted to ask all of you what you honest opinion was about all of the renovations that have been done. From all the pics that I've seen online, the park looks better than it ever has. Even though I haven't seen them in person like most of you have, I am VERY happy with them.

Also, did the renovations change the overall feel of the ballpark?! Does it really have that "retro" feel to it?! and What is your favorite thing they did to the park?!

Keep the comments rollin' in and GO WHITE SOX!!!

rdwj
06-06-2006, 08:50 AM
It's not a retro park and doesn't feel like one, but the changes have given the park a warmer, nicer feel.

ILuvThatDuck
06-06-2006, 08:53 AM
My favorite change they made was the addition on the World Series Championship banner!!!!!!!!!:bandance:

SaltyPretzel
06-06-2006, 08:55 AM
I haven't lived in Chicago in about 3 1/2 years now so I haven't been able to get out to the park to see all of the wonderful changes they've made over the last few years. I used to go to the ballpark 3-4 times a year but, that was before most of the changes.

I wanted to ask all of you what you honest opinion was about all of the renovations that have been done. From all the pics that I've seen online, the park looks better than it ever has. Even though I haven't seen them in person like most of you have, I am VERY happy with them.

Also, did the renovations change the overall feel of the ballpark?! Does it really have that "retro" feel to it?! and What is your favorite thing they did to the park?!

Keep the comments rollin' in and GO WHITE SOX!!!

The biggest improvement has to be the new roof. It feels more like a ballpark now as opposed to a football stadium.

Thome25
06-06-2006, 08:55 AM
My favorite change they made was the addition on the World Series Championship banner!!!!!!!!!:bandance:

I think that has to be everyone's No. 1 on the list.

RealFan
06-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Though all of the changes mentioned above have definitely improved the park, my favorite thus far is the movement away from "blue" to "green" as the theme color of the park. Most of all, I love the green seats versus the blue ones and can't wait until that overhaul is complete. Makes the park look completely different IMHO.

IlliniSox4Life
06-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Well, to be honest, I hate the new cell. The old cell was great. I could do everything I wanted. I could always have a great conversation. This new one though, it sucks. First of all, I am always dropping calls. I don't know what it is. Not only that, but the battery lasts like 8 hours tops, even if I don't make a call. Oh well, that's what I get for losing my first cell.

Thome25
06-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Well, to be honest, I hate the new cell. The old cell was great. I could do everything I wanted. I could always have a great conversation. This new one though, it sucks. First of all, I am always dropping calls. I don't know what it is. Not only that, but the battery lasts like 8 hours tops, even if I don't make a call. Oh well, that's what I get for losing my first cell.

What?! no teal?! :)

bigsqwert
06-06-2006, 09:42 AM
I like how the park has been softened with plants and flowers. The centerfield area looks very nice with the shrubs and I like the flower planters on the concourse.

GregoryEtc
06-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Most of all, I love the green seats versus the blue ones and can't wait until that overhaul is complete. Makes the park look completely different IMHO.

How can you even tell with all the fannies in them? :smile:

I love how the park feels more gothic. the green, gray and black trim makes the place seem darker (in a good way) and cozy. Newer parks like camden and comerica and at&t are all cozy but they seem more like they're trying to be giant beer gardens where the baseball is secondary. New Comiskey used to feel like that to me. It was too big and open. Now, the Cell focuses all the attention toward the field. Does that make any sense?

FedEx227
06-06-2006, 10:52 AM
The New Cell is fantastic, it's what all us Sox fans deserved when Old Comiskey went down.

As people mentioned the darkness is great, black and dark green are the main colors and it really plays well with the rest of the park. The blue was just awful, I remember my first game at Comiskey, I walked in turned to my dad and said "Why is everything blue?" It was just overbearing and distracting.

You will be amazed at how much has changed and how the renovations feel seamlessly into the rest of the park. Kudos to the White Sox and kudos to U.S. Cellular (now just get rid of Cusak).

cbotnyse
06-06-2006, 10:52 AM
the new roof is a dramatic and much needed improvement....i think it makes the UD seats much, much more tolerable. before the roof, I hated the UD, now I enjoy it.

the fan deck and fundamentals deck are also good improvements. the latter especially for kids.

SOXfnNlansing
06-06-2006, 10:53 AM
I noticed that the rain room was not where it was last year. Maybe they moved it or just got rid of it. Other than that the improvements are great.

JohnBasedowYoda
06-06-2006, 10:54 AM
I like it but it doesn't affect me either way. It's nice having shade in the UD now but I liked the park the way it was.

Thome25
06-06-2006, 11:44 AM
I noticed that the rain room was not where it was last year. Maybe they moved it or just got rid of it. Other than that the improvements are great.

Thanks for all of the great responses so far. Keep 'em comin!!

Sounds like they need to bring back the rain room and the old shower too?!

southside rocks
06-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks for all of the great responses so far. Keep 'em comin!!

Sounds like they need to bring back the rain room and the old shower too?!

The rain room's there, isn't it? I'm out in Section 104 or 107 most of the time, and the rain room's right off the concourse there.

I love the changes to the Cell; it's much more like the old Comiskey Park, in atmosphere, than it originally was.

hillbilly
06-06-2006, 12:01 PM
I love the roof. I have to agree with everyone on that. However, I HATE HATE HATE all the noise and what not in between innings. Does anyone else agree with me?? All the different gizmos and pride crew and races they have going on. I like the quietness when all you can hear is them warming up a little bit and mostly conversations....

Sad
06-06-2006, 12:14 PM
I love everything about the park except those banners on the lightpoles
Bring back the flags...
those thin see-thru banners look terrible... you can hardly read them

INSox56
06-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Bring back the flags...

I agree...they should have not used the stuff you can see through. They're still banners I guess, but shoulda used something else. Other than that I love the new park itself...DEFINITELY much more cozy...the green seats make it feel more one piece and cozier.

Sad
06-06-2006, 12:26 PM
I agree...they should have not used the stuff you can see through. They're still banners I guess, but shoulda used something else. Other than that I love the new park itself...DEFINITELY much more cozy...the green seats make it feel more one piece and cozier.

well I understand using the mesh-like material, as they see some high wind conditions... I just think they look like crap...

oeo
06-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Bring back the flags...

Well...you can see them fine during a night game. I like them, they're big and stick out.

minutia
06-06-2006, 02:17 PM
I liked the park the way it was, I have never had a problem with the blue seats. I don't care what color they are it does not affect the outcome of the game. I do agree though that is nice to have some shade in the upper deck seats.

C-Dawg
06-06-2006, 04:08 PM
This may be a minor detail, but a few years ago when they changed the walls around the field from blue to green it looked 100% better on TV and in photos. Its not something that's immediately obvious while actually AT the game, but seeing a closeup pic of, say, Ray Durham on the on-deck circle with all-blue behind him is just overwhelming now. Too much blue!

Red Barchetta
06-06-2006, 09:17 PM
This may be a minor detail, but a few years ago when they changed the walls around the field from blue to green it looked 100% better on TV and in photos. Its not something that's immediately obvious while actually AT the game, but seeing a closeup pic of, say, Ray Durham on the on-deck circle with all-blue behind him is just overwhelming now. Too much blue!

I agree. I love the look of the park on TV especially from the 1st base side when a player gets a single, etc. The Fundamentals deck looks awesome.

Last year when showing players on the scoreboard, they had old Roman arches in the background. I would love to see those brick arches replace the lattace in the outfield, however it depends on how much funding is left.

paciorek1983
06-06-2006, 11:16 PM
I agree. I love the look of the park on TV especially from the 1st base side when a player gets a single, etc. The Fundamentals deck looks awesome.

Last year when showing players on the scoreboard, they had old Roman arches in the background. I would love to see those brick arches replace the lattace in the outfield, however it depends on how much funding is left.

Um hey isn't the arch thing my idea in a previous thread?:rolleyes: :wink:

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-07-2006, 06:51 AM
Well...you can see them fine during a night game. I like them, they're big and stick out.

We all had no problem seeing them on opening night. :) I love 'em....brings the light towers into the park as part of the experience. Painting all that ironwork in the OF closed the park in to me, IMO...and hanging the banners on the towers keeps the eye towards the field of play, as opposed to flagpoles on roofs.

skobabe8
06-07-2006, 10:20 AM
The banners are a little tough to see during the day, but at night they look awesome. I thought it was a pretty good idea to decorate the light towers that way.
And I have to agree that the roof has been the biggest change overall. The ironwork, the design, the amount of seats it covers without leaving you feel clostrophobic...theres really nothing like it in all of MLB from what I've seen.

Chez
06-07-2006, 10:27 AM
I love the roof. I have to agree with everyone on that. However, I HATE HATE HATE all the noise and what not in between innings. Does anyone else agree with me?? All the different gizmos and pride crew and races they have going on. I like the quietness when all you can hear is them warming up a little bit and mostly conversations....

I completely agree. It's a little too "NBA-ish" for my taste; but I guess that's the price you pay for corporate sponsorship of nearly everything.