PDA

View Full Version : Konerko


RichH55
02-05-2002, 07:30 AM
What ever happened to the Konerko at 3B expierment? I still wouldnt rule it totally out of the question especially since Crede is not held in the highest regards by the organization and we will have alot of different scenarios to work out next year....I could see Paul playing 1st this year, signing a longer term deal then the Sox moving him to third(where he would have more value in term of getting a contract but would already be signed)....This depends on many factors, but its not outside of the realm of posibility especially with LTP on the not to distant horizon and the fact that both Hummel and Harris have the ETA of next year...who knows....Im just hedging my bets at this hour

Meatpants
02-05-2002, 11:13 AM
I would guess if any slow-footed guy was going to be given a chance to play third, it'd be Liefer. Konerko has developed into an adequate 1B, IMO.

MattSharp
02-05-2002, 11:28 AM
I have much thought about this. In a perfect world Crede would be ready, but if not I would like to see Konerko become a 3B, move CLee to 1B and that opens an OF slot. IMO Crede has been hyped too much for too long and I don't think he is gonna pan out. If they made the above moves think of the 2003 starting lineup:

2B Tim Hummel
CF Aaron Rowand
DH Frank Thomas
LF Magglio Ordonez
3B Paul Konerko
1B Carlos Lee
RF Joe Borchard
C Mark Johnson
SS Jose Valentin

What do you think about that?

Meatpants
02-05-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I have much thought about this. In a perfect world Crede would be ready, but if not I would like to see Konerko become a 3B, move CLee to 1B and that opens an OF slot. IMO Crede has been hyped too much for too long and I don't think he is gonna pan out. If they made the above moves think of the 2003 starting lineup:

2B Tim Hummel
CF Aaron Rowand
DH Frank Thomas
LF Magglio Ordonez
3B Paul Konerko
1B Carlos Lee
RF Joe Borchard
C Mark Johnson
SS Jose Valentin

What do you think about that?

1. Though Lee is a horrible fielder, moving him to first and Konerko to third only creates two weaknesses instead of the one they have now. Konerko is way too slow of foot to play third, especially w/out a good SS beside him, which he wouldn't have in your scenario. Plus, Lee can't play third or the outfield, and while first is easier, I doubt he'd make a good fielder there either.

2. From what I gather, Hummel is not a rangy 2B, more like a Ryne Sandberg type, which is great, but not if he's surrounded by butchers like Konerko (at third), Valentin, and Lee (at first).

duke of dorwood
02-05-2002, 11:44 AM
Once you see The ease at which Crede plays third will put this idea out of everyones head. Walnuts seems to be dedicated to being an even better fielder at first this year. I hope Kenny Lofton can help Carlos, he knows the players and the parks. This could be the biggest advantage of having him.

RichH55
02-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I have much thought about this. In a perfect world Crede would be ready, but if not I would like to see Konerko become a 3B, move CLee to 1B and that opens an OF slot. IMO Crede has been hyped too much for too long and I don't think he is gonna pan out. If they made the above moves think of the 2003 starting lineup:

2B Tim Hummel
CF Aaron Rowand
DH Frank Thomas
LF Magglio Ordonez
3B Paul Konerko
1B Carlos Lee
RF Joe Borchard
C Mark Johnson
SS Jose Valentin

What do you think about that? If that is the lineup you are going with Im thinking Jose bats 2 and Rowand 8....Johnson before Valentin? Sounds wrong to me

RichH55
02-05-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Meatpants


1. Though Lee is a horrible fielder, moving him to first and Konerko to third only creates two weaknesses instead of the one they have now. Konerko is way too slow of foot to play third, especially w/out a good SS beside him, which he wouldn't have in your scenario. Plus, Lee can't play third or the outfield, and while first is easier, I doubt he'd make a good fielder there either.

2. From what I gather, Hummel is not a rangy 2B, more like a Ryne Sandberg type, which is great, but not if he's surrounded by butchers like Konerko (at third), Valentin, and Lee (at first).
Well since Range is one of Jose's better strengths that would play into having a slow footed guy at 3B....and how good defensively do you need you 1B to be? What is the difference between C Lee and your average defensive 1B? Im guessing not that much

czalgosz
02-05-2002, 02:49 PM
Valentin at short and Konerko at third?

Must...not...comment...

RichH55
02-05-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Valentin at short and Konerko at third?

Must...not...comment...



Ist alright czalgosz....let it out...its cathatic to rant....though I would not be against this scenario, though it would be better if Crede could develop into what we are hoping he can

czalgosz
02-05-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by RichH55




Ist alright czalgosz....let it out...its cathatic to rant....though I would not be against this scenario, though it would be better if Crede could develop into what we are hoping he can

I can just see the ESPN Gamecast for opening day at Seattle -

Bottom of First

Ichiro reaches on infield single to third.
Cirillo reaches on shortstop J. Valentin's fielding error, Ichiro to third.
B. Boone singles to left, Ichiro scores, Cirillo to second
E. Martinez singles to left, Cirillo scores, Boone to third
Olerud flies out to right, B. Boone scores
Cameron grounds into fielder's choice, Valentin to Durham, E. Martinez out at second, Cameron safe at first after 1B C. Lee's error
Gipson singles to left, Cameron to third.
Wilson reaches on Konerko's throwing error, Cameron and Gipson score, Wilson to second
Guillen flies out to center.

5 runs, 4 hits, 3 errors

RichH55
02-06-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz


I can just see the ESPN Gamecast for opening day at Seattle -

Bottom of First

Ichiro reaches on infield single to third.
Cirillo reaches on shortstop J. Valentin's fielding error, Ichiro to third.
B. Boone singles to left, Ichiro scores, Cirillo to second
E. Martinez singles to left, Cirillo scores, Boone to third
Olerud flies out to right, B. Boone scores
Cameron grounds into fielder's choice, Valentin to Durham, E. Martinez out at second, Cameron safe at first after 1B C. Lee's error
Gipson singles to left, Cameron to third.
Wilson reaches on Konerko's throwing error, Cameron and Gipson score, Wilson to second
Guillen flies out to center.

5 runs, 4 hits, 3 errors


See? Felt Good Didnt it? LOL