PDA

View Full Version : Windy City Sox Fans Luncheon Friday

TornLabrum
06-06-2006, 01:09 AM
I'm going to announce this a day early, but please, if you are not a member and don't intend to become a member but wish to attend this event, please hold off until Wednesday!

The Windy City Sox Fans are holding their first luncheon of the season this Friday, June 9th at the Polo Cafe, 3322 S. Morgan in Bridgeport, one mile west of U.S. Cellular Field, from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Our guest will be Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.* Our emcee will be The Score's Chris Singleton.

The event consists of an autograph session (the Windy City Sox Fans reserve the right to limit autographs), buffet luncheon, and a Q&A session with Chris and Ozzie, including questions from the audience.

Admission is $35.00 for Windy City Sox Fans members, $45.00 for non-members, and $25.00 for children age 10 and under.

All proceeds benefit Chicago Baseball Cancer Charities and Children's Memorial Hospital.

For reservations and details, call (708) 424-8520.

*Guests are subject to change without notice.

(Please note that Ozzie has confirmed and the Sox have made the arrangements for this. However, if something should happen where Ozzie can't make it, the Sox will provide a substitute. Please also note that Ozzie has not missed a luncheon he has confirmed he would attend, either as a player or manager.)

If you wish to become a member of the WCSF, when you make your reservation, let us know, and you will be admitted at the lower members rate provided you pay your membership fee along with your admission fee. Membership this year is $30.00. It entitles you to discounts at club events, a subscription to our Bleacher Features newsletter (edited by some guy named Vickery), a couple of gifts, and it will include a donation to our charities. But PLEASE, hold off until June 7th before making a reservation if you're not a member.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-06-2006, 01:20 AM
Already signed up!:bandance:

Ol' No. 2
06-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Sounds interesting. If I become a member, can I bring my son (age 15) at the member's rate or would he have to pay the non-member's rate?

TornLabrum
06-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Members are allowed to bring any family members at the member rate. (We consider the membership to be a family membership unless individuals in the family want to join, too.)

Ol' No. 2
06-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Members are allowed to bring any family members at the member rate. (We consider the membership to be a family membership unless individuals in the family want to join, too.)Cool. How many people typically show up at these things?

TornLabrum
06-06-2006, 02:42 PM
As of yesterday there were 70 reservations. Last year we had something like 120 at our biggest one. The number will probably end up averaging between 70-100 depending on who we have as guests for the other two luncheons.

SouthSideSoxFan
06-09-2006, 03:30 PM
4471 4472

That was great, well done!

SouthSide_HitMen
06-09-2006, 04:04 PM
What did Ozzie say regarding CF / Anderson and did he say anything else either controversial (like telling Buehrle to bean Surhoff which he disclosed to KW's chagrin at SoxFest) or newsworthy?

SouthSideSoxFan
06-09-2006, 04:59 PM
He actually said lots of things... perhaps someone can post a recap. But some of my take-aways:

1. Two players he's frustrated with: Anderson and Garland

Anderson: Doesn't sound like Ozzie wants to trade him, and made it sound like Anderson's issues are in his head. He said he reminds him of Karkovice, in that he's out before he makes it to the plate. "You can see it in how he hangs his head." He's not batting to get a hit or to help the team, but is now batting not to strike out, which is the wrong approach. He did talk about the minor leagues and the differences, I took away that he didn't think sending him down would fix anything, but he did not specifically say that. It sounds like he intends to fix this now, he's sick of this issue.

Garland: Make it sound like he thought Garland was playing without any hunger, just putting in his 5-6 innings and not caring enough. He wants to see him fired up again. He didn't take Garland out yesterday and said he hoped the Tigers would score 10 more runs against him, at least maybe then he'd start pitching well if only not to be embarrassed!

2. Bullpen

He said the bullpen is not the issue, starting pitching has been the issue. The bullpen was built to take over after 6-7+ innings, then hand to Bobby. If that happened more often, then we'd all think the bullpen was great and Ozzie would use 2-3 pitchers before the closer. But if they have to take over in the 5th or 6th, then it's the wrong bullpen.

3. Hermanson

He didn't know anything about his status.

Overall, he was friendly, jovial, cracking jokes, talking about his family, his career, and it was a great event. I even liked Chris Singleton. :cool:

TornLabrum
06-10-2006, 01:48 AM
He actually said lots of things... perhaps someone can post a recap. But some of my take-aways:

1. Two players he's frustrated with: Anderson and Garland

Anderson: Doesn't sound like Ozzie wants to trade him, and made it sound like Anderson's issues are in his head. He said he reminds him of Karkovice, in that he's out before he makes it to the plate. "You can see it in how he hangs his head." He's not batting to get a hit or to help the team, but is now batting not to strike out, which is the wrong approach. He did talk about the minor leagues and the differences, I took away that he didn't think sending him down would fix anything, but he did not specifically say that. It sounds like he intends to fix this now, he's sick of this issue.

Garland: Make it sound like he thought Garland was playing without any hunger, just putting in his 5-6 innings and not caring enough. He wants to see him fired up again. He didn't take Garland out yesterday and said he hoped the Tigers would score 10 more runs against him, at least maybe then he'd start pitching well if only not to be embarrassed!

2. Bullpen

He said the bullpen is not the issue, starting pitching has been the issue. The bullpen was built to take over after 6-7+ innings, then hand to Bobby. If that happened more often, then we'd all think the bullpen was great and Ozzie would use 2-3 pitchers before the closer. But if they have to take over in the 5th or 6th, then it's the wrong bullpen.

3. Hermanson

He didn't know anything about his status.

Overall, he was friendly, jovial, cracking jokes, talking about his family, his career, and it was a great event. I even liked Chris Singleton. :cool:
I'll add to what Ozzie said about Garland: "If I could have made him pitch ten more innings, I would have." He's not happy with Garland at all.

Also, you're right. Singleton was excellent as our emcee. I don't think anyone briefed him on the format beforehand, so the start was a bit shaky, but once he just started talking baseball with Ozzie, it was excellent.

I hope more people from WSI can come to the next luncehon on July 7. I'm hoping we'll know who the Sox will be sending in the next 2-3 weeks.

Oh, I should add, we didn't have very much space for non-members. We ended up with about 100 reservations, which is the limit the hall can hold. So you might want to consider joining between now and then.

SouthSideSoxFan
06-10-2006, 10:09 AM
I'd never been to one of these before, and I have to say I was impressed. It had a warm, friendly atmosphere, a little like a community or church social event. I joined immediately, and look forward to future events.

Kudos to the organizers.

Ozzie on Brian Anderson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GPUHGYX2kI) (link to video)
Ozzie on Rob Mackowiak's play the night before where he didn't hold Pudge to first base (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTrH3tv7W4o) (link to video)

TornLabrum
06-10-2006, 10:37 AM
I'd never been to one of these before, and I have to say I was impressed. It had a warm, friendly atmosphere, a little like a community or church social event. I joined immediately, and look forward to future events.

Kudos to the organizers.

Ozzie on Brian Anderson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GPUHGYX2kI) (link to video)
Ozzie on Rob Mackowiak's play the night before where he didn't hold Pudge to first base (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTrH3tv7W4o) (link to video)

I thought that what Singleton had to say right after that was pretty interesting, too. That once the "other outfielder" saw that it was Mackowiak's ball, he should have been shouting, "Half way! Half way!" to let him know to throw to the cutoff man.

As I said, once you got Singleton and Ozzie just talking baseball, Singleton was very good.

Also, thanks for joining. I'm not sure when your membership packet will arrive, but it should be in the mail soon. We did our mass mailing last month, so it's now a matter of Mary Kay stuffing envelopes of new members. We had at least a couple of new memberships yesterday.

Just so you know what's coming up, we have luncheons in July and August with Chris Rongey as emcee and then we have our holiday party the first couple of weeks in December. We'll probably have that at Senese's Winery in Oak Lawn. We usually get some former players for that one.

In addition our big fundraiser precedes the holiday party, so you'll be getting $20-worth of raffle tickets. That's where we make the money to put us over the $10,000 mark in our donation to CBCC. We also hold a toy drive for Children's Memorial Hospital at the same time, and ask that donations be dropped off at the party.

I'm glad you had a good time, and it's all for a good cause. The thing that got me involved in the first place with another club in 1990 was the fact that it helped kids with cancer. When we started the WCSF in 1995, our goal was to do an even better job of raising money for that goal.