PDA

View Full Version : Manos?


RichH55
02-05-2002, 03:29 AM
I know where most of the other nicknames started and I am buying in heavily to LTP(cool sounding nickname)....but I would like to know the story surrounding Manos as a nickname for Jose

PaleHoseGeorge
02-05-2002, 03:37 AM
You can get the definition to nearly all the WSI terminology inside the WSI Dictionary. Jose "Manos" Valentin is derived from boxer Roberto Duran's nickname, "Manos de Piedras," which means "Hands of Stone." Here's the specific entry...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/glossary.php?s=&ltr=M

You can find a lot of cool stuff around here, but the site is so big, it takes a while to find it all.

:gulp:

FarWestChicago
02-05-2002, 03:37 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/glossary.php?s=&ltr=M

What will it take to get people to use the WSI Dictionary. I've linked it in about a dozen places. :smile:

bjmarte
02-05-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/glossary.php?s=&ltr=M

What will it take to get people to use the WSI Dictionary. I've linked it in about a dozen places. :smile:
Put it in with the other links in the header and footer of the page.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-05-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by bjmarte
Put it in with the other links in the header and footer of the page.

LOL! The dictionary is already there, along with lots of other useful information, under Board User Guide. There are other direct links to the dictionary scattered all over this website.

How much simpler can West and I make this?

Nellie_Fox
02-05-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


LOL! The dictionary is already there, along with lots of other useful information, under Board User Guide. There are other direct links to the dictionary scattered all over this website.

How much simpler can West and I make this?
You could come to my house and read them to me, a few at a time.

FarWestChicago
02-05-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

You could come to my house and read them to me, a few at a time. It's too cold in Minnesota. :smile:

FarWestChicago
02-05-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


LOL! The dictionary is already there, along with lots of other useful information, under Board User Guide. There are other direct links to the dictionary scattered all over this website.
It's also in the left navigation menu and on the board index page just above the forums...not to mention in the new message and reply forms. I'll see if I can think of a way to make it more conspicuous. :smile:

bjmarte
02-05-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


LOL! The dictionary is already there, along with lots of other useful information, under Board User Guide. There are other direct links to the dictionary scattered all over this website.

How much simpler can West and I make this?

Well you are asking my opinion so I am answering. If you want people to use it put a direct link to it from where people will need it, namely directly from the page on which they are reading the posts and running into questions. That, IMO, would make it simpler, especially for less avid posters. But don't let me tell you how to run your website.

Iwritecode
02-05-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by bjmarte


Well you are asking my opinion so I am answering. If you want people to use it put a direct link to it from where people will need it, namely directly from the page on which they are reading the posts and running into questions. That, IMO, would make it simpler, especially for less avid posters. But don't let me tell you how to run your website.

Look on the far left side of your screen and you will see a big black bar that says WSI navigation menu. If you put your mouse over it, a menu will pop out. The WSI dictionary is the 6th one down from the top... :D:

cheeses_h_rice
02-05-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode


Look on the far left side of your screen and you will see a big black bar that says WSI navigation menu. If you put your mouse over it, a menu will pop out. The WSI dictionary is the 6th one down from the top... :D:

Not good enough! We need a dictionary that will pop up on the screen at the mere thought of it. Telepathy is where it's at, baby!

bjmarte
02-05-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode


Look on the far left side of your screen and you will see a big black bar that says WSI navigation menu. If you put your mouse over it, a menu will pop out. The WSI dictionary is the 6th one down from the top... :D:
I knew that was going to come up. I personally don't care much for the navigation menu, but again that is just my opinion. I beleve this started when someone asked how to make it easier for people to use the dictionary. Maybe it was just a rhetorical question but I think the people who run the board care more about their users than that. I am only stating my opinion, there is no reason to jump all over me. If you want to make it more accessible to people make it a visible link on the page where people are going to use it the most.

Iwritecode
02-05-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by bjmarte

I knew that was going to come up. I personally don't care much for the navigation menu, but again that is just my opinion. I beleve this started when someone asked how to make it easier for people to use the dictionary. Maybe it was just a rhetorical question but I think the people who run the board care more about their users than that. I am only stating my opinion, there is no reason to jump all over me. If you want to make it more accessible to people make it a visible link on the page where people are going to use it the most.

I wasn't jumping on you and I hope I didn't come off that way.

Personally, I think the menu is pretty cool. It's always there no matter where you are and it stays more or less out of the way. It's technically visible as long as you know it's there and what's on it.

BTW, I just noticed a little link under the Tags menu on the left that says "WSI Dictionary". Hopefully everybody can be happy now.

:)

bjmarte
02-05-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode


I wasn't jumping on you and I hope I didn't come off that way.

Personally, I think the menu is pretty cool. It's always there no matter where you are and it stays more or less out of the way. It's technically visible as long as you know it's there and what's on it.

BTW, I just noticed a little link under the Tags menu on the left that says "WSI Dictionary". Hopefully everybody can be happy now.

:)

I have always been happy. I think this board is awesome, much more user friendly than any other board I have been to. The dictionary was one of the things I checked out before I even registered.

FarWestChicago
02-05-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
BTW, I just noticed a little link under the Tags menu on the left that says "WSI Dictionary". Hopefully everybody can be happy now.

:) That's not new. It's been there since I installed the Dictionary upgrade. The only link relatively new is the one on the board index page. I really don't know what else to do. But, I won't give up.

CubKilla
02-05-2002, 09:51 PM
Can we delete any reference to the band Duran Duran in the story of the origin of JV's "Manos" nickname? Let's just say it's a reverse nickname..... like fat guys are called slim and red-haired guys are called blondie.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-06-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow
Can we delete any reference to the band Duran Duran in the story of the origin of JV's "Manos" nickname? Let's just say it's a reverse nickname..... like fat guys are called slim and red-haired guys are called blondie.

Actually, Valentin's nickname has nothing to do with that lame 80's new wave band. "Manos" comes from the champion boxer's nickname, Roberto Duran. He won four different boxing titles in the 70's and 80's. How Sugar Ray Leonard ever beat him is beyond me. (The famous "no mas" fight). Duran was a tank. Next to Tommy "Hitman" Hearns and Marvin Hagler, he was one of my favorite fighters from the 1980's.

Manos de Piedras = Hands of Stone (http://cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/duran.htm)

IMO, Duran, Hearns, and Hagler were all better fighters than pretty boy Leonard. Sugar Ray was smart, articulate, and played the media like a violin. He couldn't have hurt Hagler in a 25 round fight--yet he got a decision over Hagler in 12. Unbelievable.

If "Manos" has hands of stone, he swings a bat of steel, too.

:manos
"I'm honored to carry the great Panamanian fighter's nickname."

CubKilla
02-06-2002, 01:13 PM
My mistake. Sorry all.

FarWestChicago
02-06-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

IMO, Duran, Hearns, and Hagler were all better fighters than pretty boy Leonard. Sugar Ray was smart, articulate, and played the media like a violin. He couldn't have hurt Hagler in a 25 round fight--yet he got a decision over Hagler in 12. Unbelievable.Marvin was my favorite. That BS decision permanently tarnished boxing for me. Marvin screwed up by not being more aggressive than he was. But, to dethrone a champion of his stature by giving points to a guy throwing sissy flurries that didn't even connect at the end of each round was a travesty. :angry:

voodoochile
02-06-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Marvin was my favorite. That BS decision permanently tarnished boxing for me. Marvin screwed up by not being more aggressive than he was. But, to dethrone a champion of his stature by giving points to a guy throwing sissy flurries that didn't even connect at the end of each round was a travesty. :angry:

Well said. I always did like Hagler. He was one mean mutha'

Iwritecode
02-06-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Marvin was my favorite. That BS decision permanently tarnished boxing for me. Marvin screwed up by not being more aggressive than he was. But, to dethrone a champion of his stature by giving points to a guy throwing sissy flurries that didn't even connect at the end of each round was a travesty. :angry:

A couple of techo-geeks talking about boxing on a baseball message board...

Now I really have seen it all.

:)

FarWestChicago
02-06-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode


A couple of techo-geeks talking about boxing on a baseball message board...

Now I really have seen it all.

:) Well, that is where "Manos" came from. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-06-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Marvin was my favorite. That BS decision permanently tarnished boxing for me. Marvin screwed up by not being more aggressive than he was. But, to dethrone a champion of his stature by giving points to a guy throwing sissy flurries that didn't even connect at the end of each round was a travesty. :angry:

That decision was a joke. I don't remember Hagler even getting a bruise from Leonard. Those punches the judges were giving Leonard points for were pathetic. They were scoring the bout like it was the Olympics or something.

Leonard couldn't have knocked out Hagler in a million years. However, he sure looked good doing nothing that night.

Remind you of any particular ballplayer?

(All roads at WSI lead to...)

FarWestChicago
02-06-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


That decision was a joke. I don't remember Hagler even getting a bruise from Leonard. Those punches the judges were giving Leonard points for were pathetic. They were scoring the bout like it was the Olympics or something.

Leonard couldn't have knocked out Hagler in a million years. However, he sure looked good doing nothing that night.

Remind you of any particular ballplayer?

(All roads at WSI lead to...) Well done, PHG!!


Manos Hagler and Buddy Leonard. :)