PDA

View Full Version : And we're complaining about Garland

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-05-2006, 07:03 PM
8-2 Yankmees in the 2nd off Josh Beckett.

infohawk
06-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Josh Beckett is getting absolutely pasted by the Yanks. He's given up 8 runs in 1.1 innings. I guess it happens to lots of good pitchers every now and then.

infohawk
06-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Ah funny! I just posted on this too!

chisoxmike
06-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Talk about un-bias announcing. ESPN gives Hawk **** for being a "hometown" broadcaster...the guys going this stupid game and creaming themselves during the big inning.

Deebs14
06-05-2006, 07:06 PM
I didn't realize these two teams were playing each other tonight. :redneck

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Ah funny! I just posted on this too!

my bad

santo=dorf
06-05-2006, 07:13 PM
I guess it happens to lots of good pitchers every now and then.
No, no, no. It's just another case of a overhyped NL pitcher getting his brains bashed in after going to the AL.

infohawk
06-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Actually, you beat me by a minute!:redneck

Dick Allen
06-05-2006, 07:18 PM
And this is against a banged-up Yankee lineup. No Matsui, no Jeter, no Sheffield.

SOXintheBURGH
06-05-2006, 07:30 PM
What's this again? Ur versus Babylon?

ilsox7
06-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Josh Beckett is getting absolutely pasted by the Yanks. He's given up 8 runs in 1.1 innings. I guess it happens to lots of good pitchers every now and then.
He got rocked his last time out, too. Didn't make it out of the 5th.

Droso5
06-05-2006, 07:37 PM
NL pitchers getting big money and going to the AL. Although he has pitched pretty well thus far, he IS getting his brains bashed in by the depleted Yankees...funny. I wonder if Berrrmmmaaan is announcing this one --"OH NO, another HR, come on guys!!!! oh! here come the Red Sox!!!" The World Series team will not come out of the East again.

SHIP IT.

buehrle4cy05
06-05-2006, 07:39 PM
The World Series team will not come out of the East again.

Unless it's the Blue Jays.

itsnotrequired
06-05-2006, 07:40 PM
10-2 in the third.

:o:

cbotnyse
06-05-2006, 07:41 PM
what channel is this game on?

MarySwiss
06-05-2006, 07:41 PM

Er, maybe Rome versus Carthage? But who's Rome? And who's Carthage? I'm kinda rooting for this being a Carthage versus Carthage battle. Then they'll both just go away and never be heard from again. :smile:

Chips
06-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Too bad I got Beckett on the fantasy team.

Good that I got Mussina.

VenturaFan23
06-05-2006, 08:01 PM

:rolling: I have no idea!

VenturaFan23
06-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Talk about un-bias announcing. ESPN gives Hawk **** for being a "hometown" broadcaster...the guys going this stupid game and creaming themselves during the big inning.

If Berman was calling this game, he'd be crying throughout the broadcast.

CanBuehrleWait
06-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Watch any Red Cubs/Yanks games for 10 minutes and tell me your second favorite team doesn't become the Blue Jays by default.

Baby Fisk
06-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Skankees 13 - Red Cubs 5.

Mercy!

Chicken Dinner
06-05-2006, 08:46 PM
I've seen Garland give up more than a few home run balls this year.

santo=dorf
06-05-2006, 08:58 PM
I've seen Garland give up more than a few home run balls this year.
....and I don't recall Beckett getting $29 million and a NTC from the Wrong Sox either.

Jjav829
06-05-2006, 10:35 PM
No, no, no. It's just another case of a overhyped NL pitcher getting his brains bashed in after going to the AL.

Where was this post 11 days ago when Beckett was tied for the AL lead with 7 wins and sporting a 3.80 ERA. Now because he's blown up in two consecutive road outings he is an overhyped product of the NL? Not buying it...

santo=dorf
06-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Where was this post 11 days ago when Beckett was tied for the AL lead with 7 wins and sporting a 3.80 ERA. Now because he's blown up in two consecutive road outings he is an overhyped product of the NL? Not buying it...
Ummm, how about hitters making adjustments to the pitcher?
One of his wins was against the Phillies, the second time the Jays saw him they rocked him, and the third time they killed him. After the shutting down the Yanks in his first start he gave up 3 runs in the second start, and was killed in his third start against him.
It also didn't hurt to have 34 runs scored by your offense in your previous 4 wins.

Jjav829
06-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Ummm, how about hitters making adjustments to the pitcher?
One of his wins was against the Phillies, the second time the Jays saw him they rocked him, and the third time they killed him. After the shutting down the Yanks in his first start he gave up 3 runs in the second start, and was killed in his third start against him.
It also didn't hurt to have 34 runs scored by your offense in your previous 4 wins.
What do hitters adjustments have to do with him being an overhyped product of the NL? Are NL hitters incapable of making the same adjustments that AL hitters make? Is Beckett incapable of adjusting to the AL hitters adjustments the next time around?

And if you're going to bring up run support to try to knock his wins, at least look at if the run support was actually needed to get the win.

Beckett's runs allowed by win:

Yes, that's right. In his 7 wins he has allowed exactly 10 runs combined. With numbers like that, who cares how many runs of support he is getting. It's not like he was winning 11-10 games. Yes, they scored 14 runs for him in one start and 11 in another. Beckett allowed 3 runs and 1 run respectively in those two starts.

And aside from all the numbers, it's not like Beckett's stuff got worse because he went to the AL. He still has a mid-to-high 90s fastball, a very good curveball and potentially great splitter. He didn't lose his great stuff in the move from Florida to Boston.

santo=dorf
06-05-2006, 10:59 PM
jjav, in my opinion American League hitters are far and away better hitters than the NL players so yes, I would say most of the American league hitters adjust better to pitchers than NL hitters. As for how many runs he's given up in his wins, I'm not impressed equally if two pitchers go 7 innings giving up 3 runs winning the game but one pitcher wins 10-3 and the other wins 4-3. Vazquez went 6 shutout innings against the Indians, but I wasn't completely impressed because the Sox won 11-0 and the Indians pretty much quit after the first time through the order.

He had a great first month, but the numbers show that team are starting to hit him harder after each start. We'll continue to keep an eye on him against the AL East.

Jjav829
06-05-2006, 11:10 PM
jjav, in my opinion American League hitters are far and away better hitters than the NL players so yes, I would say most of the American league hitters adjust better to pitchers than NL hitters. As for how many runs he's given up in his wins, I'm not impressed equally if two pitchers go 7 innings giving up 3 runs winning the game but one pitcher wins 10-3 and the other wins 4-3. Vazquez went 6 shutout innings against the Indians, but I wasn't completely impressed because the Sox won 11-0 and the Indians pretty much quit after the first time through the order.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but I don't agree with that at all. I think with all the player movement these days and the way all players study the game, player intelligence is similar in each league. And I think Albert Pujols might disagree with your statement. Ditto for Lance Berkman, Jason Bay, Miguel Cabrera, etc. :wink:

He had a great first month, but the numbers show that team are starting to hit him harder after each start. We'll continue to keep an eye on him against the AL East.
Fair enough. I'd actually love to see Beckett pitch against the Yankees again this year precisely because he was roughed up today. With the way he relishes big games, I would expect a good outing. We'll see if he gets that chance.

DumpJerry
06-05-2006, 11:11 PM
:kneeslap:
Acually, I was thinking Elk Grove Village vs. Mt. Prospect. ESPN loves those NW 'burbs!

StockdaleForVeep
06-06-2006, 01:07 AM
He's still better than Judy

Blueprint1
06-06-2006, 01:10 AM
He's still better than Judy Yeah because he has accomplished so much more. :rolleyes:

HotelWhiteSox
06-06-2006, 01:13 AM
He'll probably blame it on a blister. But yeah, I remember him being good earlier in the season, and I won't forget that 03 playoff run, very dominating. Not to mention what he was doing to the Sox the next year in interleague

CLR01
06-06-2006, 01:30 AM

What part of no Judy references is hard to understand? See you in a week.

depy48
06-06-2006, 01:37 AM
I think it's on OLN.

rowand33
06-06-2006, 01:38 AM

Yeah because he has accomplished so much more. :rolleyes:

I mean... he is the MVP of the 2003 World Series....

but you guys are right, Beckett has nothing to back up his hype and has accomplished less than Jon Garland...

(note: sticking up for Beckett, not bashing Gar)

Blueprint1
06-06-2006, 02:52 AM
I mean... he is the MVP of the 2003 World Series....

but you guys are right, Beckett has nothing to back up his hype and has accomplished less than Jon Garland...

When was the last time Beckett won 18 games. Fifteen is his max. Beckett has never thrown over 180 innings in a season. Jon Garland has gone over 180 four times. Some of you people just hate guys on our team for no reason

rowand33
06-06-2006, 11:03 AM
When was the last time Beckett won 18 games. Fifteen is his max. Beckett has never thrown over 180 innings in a season. Jon Garland has gone over 180 four times. Some of you people just hate guys on our team for no reason

As I said, I was in no way trying to put Garland down, I was trying to pick Beckett up. For people to say the kid never accomplished anything when he's won the World Series MVP... that's a little ridiculous.

My feelings on Garland are this: I look back at 2004 at realize we're lucky he's our fifth starter, even if he isn't as good as last year (did anybody really expect 18 wins out of him again anyways? I'll take 15 wins with an ERA in the low 4s, which I think he's more than capable of).

JB98
06-06-2006, 05:35 PM

I'm glad to see that posts like this are no longer being accepted at WSI. FWIW, Gar is the only Sox pitcher to record a quality start in his most recent outing. Certainly, he hasn't pitched to his capabilities thus far this season, but he seems to be coming around as of late.

beckett21
06-06-2006, 10:39 PM
So Beckett has had a couple bad outings...big deal. :rolleyes:

Obviously his numbers are going to be worse moving to the AL. This would be the case for ANY pitcher moving from NL to AL. This is not news.

He beat the Yankees when it really mattered. He would do it again, too. :cool:

CLR01
06-06-2006, 10:41 PM
So Beckett has had a couple bad outings...big deal. :rolleyes:

Obviously his numbers are going to be worse moving to the AL. This would be the case for ANY pitcher moving from NL to AL. This is not news.

He beat the Yankees when it really mattered. He would do it again, too. :cool:

Homer.:rolleyes:

:D:

beckett21
06-06-2006, 10:55 PM

I wasn't going to respond, but I couldn't resist. :redneck

SOXintheBURGH
06-07-2006, 12:46 AM

:roflmao:

Brilliance.

The numbers don't lie though. Beckett is an NL guy going to the AL, and this is what happens. It has happened time and time again and will continue to happen. Beckett is still a young guy that throws serious heat and I think will be a great pitcher for a long time. I personally am not afraid to play Boston or to play New York in the playoffs, but whenever a playoff contender has SP issues it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Hell, look at our own Javier going to the Yankmees from Montreal... Granted, most pitchers blow when Cashman acquires them then rule again when they leave. :cool:

slavko
06-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Winter of 04/05, how many of you posted here that you wanted him? Raise your hands. (We did seem to do OK without him.)

fquaye149
06-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Winter of 04/05, how many of you posted here that you wanted him? Raise your hands. (We did seem to do OK without him.)

We did all right without Pujols, Oswalt, Halladay, Vlad, Hafner, and Santana as well. Doesn't mean they wouldn't be great additions to our team.

Beckett's young. Beckett has great stuff. If Beckett can stay healthy and put it all together Beckett will be one of the best pitchers in baseball. I bet you could find a couple starts this year where Buehrle, Contreras, and Freddy didn't pitch all that well. I mean, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I have a sneaking suspicion....