PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Umpires

Lip Man 1
06-05-2006, 07:58 PM
This came up a few weeks ago and there is a long update on it in The Sporting News (print edition) page 32 this week. It's a story by Mike Berardino.

Apparently minor league umpires are STILL on strike. There was no settlement as some were saying at WSI.

220 minor league umpires from all leagues and all classifications have been out and are now garnering support from the major league umpires.

It is apparently making it very difficult to get a 'true' reading on prospects because the replacements are coming from the high school and college ranks. (and you wonder why the numbers from the Sox pitching staff in Charlotte are so unbelieveable??? Then when they come up to the big club they are 'less' then stellar...)

Things are getting so bad that White Sox Double A manager Chris Cron at Birmingham recently pulled his team off the field and forfeited the game according to the story, because he felt the replacement umps had lost control of the game.

Lip

gbergman
06-05-2006, 10:01 PM
i saw on espn that it had ended i thought

Trav
06-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Lip, is there a version on-line? I looked on the site but couldn't find it. I'm hoping for link. Thanks.

Edit: No sooner do I give up then I find it.