PDA

View Full Version : "J. Uribe and B. Anderson are NOT the reason the Sox have lost 7/10"

SoxFan76
06-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Hallelujiah. 'SCR, now. Good Sox talk.

Vernam
06-05-2006, 07:20 PM
SF76, who said that? I agree they're not the whole reason, not most of it, or even half of it. That would be Cliff Politte. Seriously, though, there's plenty of blame to go around after these past three series . . .

Vernam

SoxFan76
06-05-2006, 07:22 PM
SF76, who said that? I agree they're not the whole reason, not most of it, or even half of it. That would be Cliff Politte. Seriously, though, there's plenty of blame to go around after these past three series . . .

Vernam

I think it's Silvy. I don't listen to sports radio very much. My dad had it on.

The starting pitchers are better than this. Scott Podsednik is better than this. Not having Jim Thome hurts. Buehrle is better than this. Jon Garland is better than this.

QCIASOXFAN
06-05-2006, 07:38 PM

The starting pitchers are better than this. Scott Podsednik is better than this. Not having Jim Thome hurts. Buehrle is better than this. Jon Garland is better than this.The entire team is better than this and we all know that. I can see where people are getting these crazy ideas from though. Uribe ans Anderson have been sucking bad at the plate for a while now though. The top 7 hitters cant carry us to victory every night.

oeo
06-05-2006, 07:48 PM

The starting pitchers are better than this. Scott Podsednik is better than this. Not having Jim Thome hurts. Buehrle is better than this. Jon Garland is better than this.
A lot of people haven't been talking about this problem. Pods was on that hot streak in which he brought his average up from something like .180 to .300. His average is now down to .263. During the time his average was climbing, he was also earning walks as well. While the walks are still coming, he hasn't been getting on base lately. Even with Thome, I still think the key to our offense is Podsednik. He gets on base, and things happen. He doesn't and we go into prolonged slumps (see: August 2005, and now).

That's still not the only problem. We're not getting the good pitching we know this rotation can put out there, and our bullpen is better than it's performing right now. But if Podsednik can get it going again, I think our offensive woes will come to a stop. I'm just waiting for our pitching to get hot.

gf2020
06-05-2006, 07:56 PM
I think it's Silvy.

It can't be Silvy on WSCR. He's a AM 1000 personality.

chisoxfanatic
06-05-2006, 08:10 PM
There was a caller on the B&B show who stated that 75% of our losses have been due to poor defense. True, our defense has allowed opponents four or five outs in an inning; but, the truth of the matter is that our pitching has been MEDIOCRE at best. I don't buy anything about World Series hangovers either. They better get it going before they have to play a big "catch up" game at the end.

awesomefan
06-05-2006, 08:13 PM
oeo....I agree with everythang you said about Podsednik.

One thang I think our pitchers need to do when times get tough out there on the mound is to throw strikes....I think they try to throw stuff that look like strikes until the ball finally gets there.

The pitchers need to realize that even though the batter hits the ball, it's not always a homer or a hit....lots of times it will be a fly out or ground out.

They need NOT to be afraid to throw strikes. I don't mean big ole cookies, I mean somethang that is in the strike zone but has lots of movement or GGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

sullythered
06-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Anybody remember when the Yankees were winning all their titles, and every year they would come out in a haze? Then around late June they seemed to say, "Hey, we're 8 1/2 games back and playing .500 ball! What the heck!?" And would then start to turn it on. I'm not saying we can or will be in the same position, heck we're playing better than they usually did, but we are certainly playing in a bit of a haze. It's hard to come off a championship season and feel the same fire right out of the box. I, personally, think this team certainly has the talent and the makeup to do it again. I'm just not so sure falling a bit behind right now by playing sloppy ball is necessarily a bad thing.

batmanZoSo
06-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Well they certainly haven't helped much.

There's plenty of blame to go around, but this is baseball, it happens and it'll pass. All it takes some good starting pitching (which, for this rotation, would merely require a return to normalcy) and they'll rip off 4, 5 in a row and be right back in it. As good as they've looked at certain times this year, they have yet to play to their full potential, so stay tuned.

chrisp64
06-05-2006, 09:06 PM
There's a few blaming Podsednik, but how could you, really? The last six games we lost were due to the starting pitching and relief. How many times these past six losses we had a lead and than the next inning or two the starting pitcher or relief pitcher gave it away? I don't think the offense of our team is the problem, so much as the pitching. It would be great to see Pods getting more infield hits, but Ozuna was on base three times yesterday and it didn't matter because the pitching didn't hold the lead or keep the game within reach.

My first post, please be gentle.

sullythered
06-05-2006, 09:23 PM
There's a few blaming Podsednik, but how could you, really? The last six games we lost were due to the starting pitching and relief. How many times these past six losses we had a lead and than the next inning or two the starting pitcher or relief pitcher gave it away? I don't think the offense of our team is the problem, so much as the pitching. It would be great to see Pods getting more infield hits, but Ozuna was on base three times yesterday and it didn't matter because the pitching didn't hold the lead or keep the game within reach.

It's not really a "blame" thing. It's clear that the pitching and defense has let us down more than anything else lately. But this team seems to go as Scotty goes, and it's important for him to get going again if our team is to get rolling.

Oh, and by the way...
:welcome:

SoxFan76
06-05-2006, 09:26 PM
It can't be Silvy on WSCR. He's a AM 1000 personality.

I have no clue then.

oeo
06-05-2006, 09:52 PM

I'm not blaming anything on Podsednik. But, when Podsednik gets on base, they win. They showed that last year, and they're showing it again this year. He's a huge asset to the team, so hopefully he can get going again.

Ol' No. 2
06-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Well they certainly haven't helped much.

There's plenty of blame to go around, but this is baseball, it happens and it'll pass. All it takes some good starting pitching (which, for this rotation, would merely require a return to normalcy) and they'll rip off 4, 5 in a row and be right back in it. As good as they've looked at certain times this year, they have yet to play to their full potential, so stay tuned.The offense has to take its share of the blame, too. They're getting all their runs (what there are of them) in one inning. Look at the last three games.

Sunday: 2 runs on a Crede HR in the 2nd, and 8 goose eggs
Saturday: 8 runs, but scored in only two innings, with 6 goose eggs
Friday: 3 runs in one inning, and 8 goose eggs

It's the same pattern over and over. You need to be able to add on once you get a lead and they're not doing it. This is typical of a sputtering offense - no consistency - and it's reflective of the poor fundamentals. They've lost the ability to manufacture runs.

ondafarm
06-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Better pitching, more consistent offense and better defense.

I can't think of anyone who's been really hot at the plate lately. Dye probably closest, Crede luke-warm.

Anderson needs to get more consistent, his average will come around, I'd be happy with him hitting .200 right now. When Ozzie is tempted to throw Mack out there the defense really suffers.

Ditto Uribe/ Cintron.

Pods hasn't been doing his job, get on base and disrupt the pitcher's concentration.

The bullpen has not been consistent and the starting pitching has really felt the effects of the middling defense.

miker
06-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Hallelujiah. 'SCR, now. Good Sox talk.
They must have been reading another memo from JR...

Tekijawa
06-06-2006, 04:02 PM
To be honest with you I'd like to see what our record is with Makowiak and Cintron Starting... There have been a lot fo B-Squad games lately and our Slump towards the end last year coincided with the B-Team being in there.

Risk
06-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Not to reiterate what has already been said, but the inconsistency from the bullpen (too many late inning walks and extra base hits being allowed, especially with 2 out) and poor execution by the offense (inability to move runners on base, ie TOO MANY STRIKEOUTS) is the cause of this slump more than the poor play of a rookie and a free swinging SS.

Risk

LauraJ14
06-06-2006, 05:59 PM
I just checked some of the fielding stats - the Sox are 9th of 14 in fielding percentage but interesting is that they are LAST in AL in double plays turned.
Weren't they near the top last year?
They are 4th in ERA which is decent but there is room for improvement.

Ol' No. 2
06-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Not to reiterate what has already been said, but the inconsistency from the bullpen (too many late inning walks and extra base hits being allowed, especially with 2 out) and poor execution by the offense (inability to move runners on base, ie TOO MANY STRIKEOUTS) is the cause of this slump more than the poor play of a rookie and a free swinging SS.

Risk:?::?::?:

Who do you think is most guilty of not moving runners and striking out too much? Who has the highest K/AB ratio? Who among the regulars has the lowest BB/PA? Who's the one who can't get a bunt down to save his life?

Risk
06-06-2006, 06:45 PM
:?::?::?:

Who do you think is most guilty of not moving runners and striking out too much? Who has the highest K/AB ratio? Who among the regulars has the lowest BB/PA? Who's the one who can't get a bunt down to save his life?

Don't get me wrong, Anderson and Uribe have both been bad in terms of striking out too much, however, as a whole in the last 10 games the team seems to be striking out more with runners on base. All I'm saying is that there is plenty of blame to go around.

When it comes to laying down bunts, I think you and I can agree that everyone hasn't been bunting as effectively (including guys like Podsednik, who is very good at laying down a bunt) this year compared to last year.

Risk

Ol' No. 2
06-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Don't get me wrong, Anderson and Uribe have both been bad in terms of striking out too much, however, as a whole in the last 10 games the team seems to be striking out more with runners on base. All I'm saying is that there is plenty of blame to go around.

When it comes to laying down bunts, I think you and I can agree that everyone hasn't been bunting as effectively (including guys like Podsednik, who is very good at laying down a bunt) this year compared to last year.

RiskYou're generally not going to ask the guys in the middle of the lineup to bunt. Podsednik and Iguchi have missed a few, but they've made more than they've missed. It's really the bottom of the order where bunting and moving runners over become critical because they're generally low average hitters. If they're going to make an out, at least make it a productive out, moving the runners over so the better hitters at the top of the order have a chance to drive them in. Having two automatic unproductive outs at the bottom of the order means that batters ahead of them who manage to get on are almost certain to be stranded and the top of the order hitters are coming up with one or two outs more often. Neither is conducive to sustaining rallies.

While we've talked a lot about the low batting averages at the bottom of the order, it's as much their inability to at least make productive outs that has been stifling rallies. Although the rest of the team has been guilty of this to varying extents as well.