PDA

View Full Version : Day Off Thought - Non Sponsored Renovations

Red Barchetta
06-05-2006, 06:53 PM
In an earlier thread, there was talk about potential future renovations that do not involve US Cellular Funds. I know they plan to complete the green seat swap over the next off-season with or without angling the seats (assuming the caulk can set over the winter :?:) and there are still rumors about a RF upper deck or party/barbeque patio floating around. However outside of any remaining US Cellular funding, what less expensive renovations could be completed under general maintenance. Below is a list of changes I would like to see:

- Continue to brick the concrete facade similar to the brick used on the Fundamentals deck, fan deck and concourse pillars. I think the brick would look especially good in the bullpens, outside patio area beyond RF fence and the pressbox.

- Paint the exposed metal handrails yellow similar to Old Comiskey. For those of you who don't like the retro approach, perhaps another color.

- Install brick pavers on the outfield concourse and plant trees to help create a more park-like atmosphere to what I consider already one of the Cell's best attractions.

- Continue with the installation of statues and perhaps replace the outfield wall portraits with statues scattered throughout the improved (above) outfield concourse.

- Install a new/improved league scoreboard in RCF.

- Install balconies with wrought iron accents to the lower suits similar to the LF corner renovation.

- Replace the existing aqua/blue exterior windows with charcoal gray/tinted windows.

I really like the Cell now and I think the park is very close to being one of the best in the league. It just needs a few more small tweaks...

Any other ideas?

Parrothead
06-05-2006, 07:07 PM
OH NO, NOT AGAIN !!!!!:o: :help: :thud:

skobabe8
06-05-2006, 07:10 PM
In an earlier thread, there was talk about potential future renovations that do not involve US Cellular Funds. I know they plan to complete the green seat swap over the next off-season with or without angling the seats (assuming the caulk can set over the winter :?:) and there are still rumors about a RF upper deck or party/barbeque patio floating around. However outside of any remaining US Cellular funding, what less expensive renovations could be completed under general maintenance. Below is a list of changes I would like to see:

- Continue to brick the concrete facade similar to the brick used on the Fundamentals deck, fan deck and concourse pillars. I think the brick would look especially good in the bullpens, outside patio area beyond RF fence and the pressbox.

- Paint the exposed metal handrails yellow similar to Old Comiskey. For those of you who don't like the retro approach, perhaps another color.

- Install brick pavers on the outfield concourse and plant trees to help create a more park-like atmosphere to what I consider already one of the Cell's best attractions.

- Continue with the installation of statues and perhaps replace the outfield wall portraits with statues scattered throughout the improved (above) outfield concourse.

- Install a new/improved league scoreboard in RCF.

- Install balconies with wrought iron accents to the lower suits similar to the LF corner renovation.

- Replace the existing aqua/blue exterior windows with charcoal gray/tinted windows.

I really like the Cell now and I think the park is very close to being one of the best in the league. It just needs a few more small tweaks...

Any other ideas?

You pretty much nailed it, except for the yellow hand rails. They should be the same as the upper deck, IMO. They look black, but are actually a dark charcoal gray.

I'm not a huge fan of the 2 foot high wall past the dugouts. Anyone know why this was done?

paciorek1983
06-05-2006, 07:13 PM
I like all of your ideas. they are very similar to mine, except I've actually lost interest in the "home run porch" idea. I would like to see it more of a STRUCTURE, similar to the Fundamentals deck, with it being a bbq/party area, but set a little lower.

I would like to see all of the lattice work come down a be replaced with ARCHED WINDOWS. It would have a concourse in between and on top, with railings for fans to just hang out around and watch the games through the open windows(no glass).

The lower concourse of the arched window design would be lined with memorabilia as a White Sox Walk of Fame/Hall of Fame. The upper concourse would have the same. The scoreboard would be made bigger and/or higher to accomodate the auxiliary board and the out-of-town board, and AN ANOLOG CLOCK---sorry McDonald's--you dorks for not want to sponsor a retro clock.

If they don't want to brick the facades, at least brick the outfield wall facades, bullpen bar, bup bar terrace area and the bullpens. The other facades chould be painted black, or they could use the black metal facade design that they have on the outfield concourse.

Red Barchetta
06-05-2006, 07:18 PM
You pretty much nailed it, except for the yellow hand rails. They should be the same as the upper deck, IMO. They look black, but are actually a dark charcoal gray.

I'm not a huge fan of the 2 foot high wall past the dugouts. Anyone know why this was done?

I think MLB made all parks/clubs install these rails to help prevent injuries and take away home dugout advantages if any player decides to take a leap into the dugout to make a play.

thomas35forever
06-05-2006, 07:18 PM
I think the out-of-town scoreboard should be a manual one. Everyone loves one of those. I'd put a Sox manual scoreboard there too, but I don't know where we'd put it.

Red Barchetta
06-05-2006, 07:19 PM
OH NO, NOT AGAIN !!!!!:o: :help: :thud:

Yeah, but this is fun! :D: Plus as we all know.. the green seats DID bring us a World Series. :tongue:

paciorek1983
06-05-2006, 07:27 PM
One thing that crossed my mind. How many of you remember when the park first opened and how officials were touting the phrase "On time and under budget."????:(:

Ya think maybe if they spent just a little more time and just a little more money some of the the problems could have been avoided?

If they wouldn't have gone with the Ed Smith Stadium Blue Seats, that's an issue and a bunch of money that wouldn't have neede to be spent.

In the drawings of the New Comiskey Park, it shows the pre-cast rose-colored design on the facades. And the outfield walls were up against the seats, like in the old park.

Oh well.:rolleyes:

skobabe8
06-05-2006, 07:30 PM
I think MLB made all parks/clubs install these rails to help prevent injuries and take away home dugout advantages if any player decides to take a leap into the dugout to make a play.

I think you misunderstood. I'm talking about the wall that runs down the LF and RF lines seperating the fans from the field. Its only like 2 feet high, as opposed to every other park where its taller.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/data/7/medium/pk_jt.JPG (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1235&size=big&cat=7)

This picture kind of shows it. From the end of the dugout to the RF corner. Why is the fence so low?

Red Barchetta
06-05-2006, 07:35 PM
I think you misunderstood. I'm talking about the wall that runs down the LF and RF lines seperating the fans from the field. Its only like 2 feet high, as opposed to every other park where its taller.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/data/7/medium/pk_jt.JPG (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1235&size=big&cat=7)

This picture kind of shows it. From the end of the dugout to the RF corner. Why is the fence so low?

Not sure. I don't remember if that wall was that low before they installed the new seats down the line. I remember Jay Mariotti in one of his many Comiskey tirades talking about how it's only a matter of time before a player gets seriously injured. Perhaps he should be writing for Philadelphia....

Red Barchetta
06-05-2006, 07:37 PM
One thing that crossed my mind. How many of you remember when the park first opened and how officials were touting the phrase "On time and under budget."????:(:

Ya think maybe if they spent just a little more time and just a little more money some of the the problems could have been avoided?

If they wouldn't have gone with the Ed Smith Stadium Blue Seats, that's an issue and a bunch of money that wouldn't have neede to be spent.

In the drawings of the New Comiskey Park, it shows the pre-cast rose-colored design on the facades. And the outfield walls were up against the seats, like in the old park.

Oh well.:rolleyes:

Anybody still have a picture of the original design they can post? I hated the "mote" between the outfield seats and original walls. I remember seeing beautiful mowing equipment there during games. What were they thinking? No one would notice?!

DoItForDanPasqua
06-05-2006, 07:38 PM

I think that's so fans can run onto the field.

ilsox7
06-05-2006, 07:40 PM

I am fairly certain the seats were replaced when they were b/c of normal wear and tear. It's been 15 years with the same batch of seats. So while they did change the color, the seats would have been replaced anyways, therefore it's a maintenance issue and not a renovation issue.

skobabe8
06-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Not sure. I don't remember if that wall was that low before they installed the new seats down the line. I remember Jay Mariotti in one of his many Comiskey tirades talking about how it's only a matter of time before a player gets seriously injured. Perhaps he should be writing for Philadelphia....

This gives you an idea. I have always wondered why that wall is so low. Can't really think of an explanation for it b/c its not even close to blocking anyones view.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/data/8/medium/Rudy_Law.jpg (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=367&size=big&cat=8)

Chips
06-05-2006, 07:42 PM
I think the out-of-town scoreboard should be a manual one. Everyone loves one of those. I'd put a Sox manual scoreboard there too, but I don't know where we'd put it.
:rolleyes:

This is 2006.

paciorek1983
06-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Anybody still have a picture of the original design they can post? I hated the "mote" between the outfield seats and original walls. I remember seeing beautiful mowing equipment there during games. What were they thinking? No one would notice?!

That mote with the equipment made the park look like it was still under construction.

S for the pic, do you mean an original rendering?

paciorek1983
06-05-2006, 07:46 PM
I am fairly certain the seats were replaced when they were b/c of normal wear and tear. It's been 15 years with the same batch of seats. So while they did change the color, the seats would have been replaced anyways, therefore it's a maintenance issue and not a renovation issue.

Yeah you're probably right. now I remember writing Rob Gallas about the seat issue a few years back and he said the seats had a life of 15-20 yrs.

Red Barchetta
06-05-2006, 07:46 PM
That mote with the equipment made the park look like it was still under construction.

S for the pic, do you mean an original rendering?

Yes. I remember the actual park built was different than the renderings they "sold" to the public (tax payers).

Red Barchetta
06-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Yeah you're probably right. now I remember writing Rob Gallas about the seat issue a few years back and he said the seats had a life of 15-20 yrs.

With Pontiac sponsoring the "Fundamentals" and United sponsoring the Scout Seats, is there any US Cellular funds left over? I thought I read there was still some good amount of money left.

ewokpelts
06-05-2006, 07:51 PM
With Pontiac sponsoring the "Fundamentals" and United sponsoring the Scout Seats, is there any US Cellular funds left over? I thought I read there was still some good amount of money left.us cellular paid to build thos ethings....united and pontic just paid to put thier names there

paciorek1983
06-05-2006, 07:52 PM
With Pontiac sponsoring the "Fundamentals" and United sponsoring the Scout Seats, is there any US Cellular funds left over? I thought I read there was still some good amount of money left.

With Pontiac and United sponsoring those two areas, and the seats being replaced under maintenance funds, and the UD costing around 30 million, where did the rest of the money go? Am I missing something?

whitesoxwilkes
06-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Whatever happened to the planned 5-story office building behind the LF wall? Did that get scrapped--or have I just been too unobservant to notice anything going on there?

paciorek1983
06-05-2006, 07:54 PM
us cellular paid to build thos ethings....united and pontic just paid to put thier names there

Woudn't that recoop some of the building costs?

tick53
06-05-2006, 10:35 PM
All good suggestions. I would like to see the CF scoreboard explode more like
the old one. The pinwheels would actually spin and the fireworks shot out of the back of the structure. Also the scoreboard would emit an earthshaking
sound as the fireworks were launched. The pinwheels today are cool, but if
you notice, only the center one "spins" well. The remainders just seem to
flash. When the board exploded in the old park, the hair on the back of your
neck would stand on end.

Great Memories!

HomeFish
06-05-2006, 10:52 PM
All good suggestions. I would like to see the CF scoreboard explode more like
the old one. The pinwheels would actually spin and the fireworks shot out of the back of the structure. Also the scoreboard would emit an earthshaking
sound as the fireworks were launched. The pinwheels today are cool, but if
you notice, only the center one "spins" well. The remainders just seem to
flash. When the board exploded in the old park, the hair on the back of your
neck would stand on end.

Great Memories!

I'm pretty sure the fire marshal would not be OK with that. But it'd be pretty cool.

Ol' No. 2
06-05-2006, 10:54 PM
With Pontiac and United sponsoring those two areas, and the seats being replaced under maintenance funds, and the UD costing around 30 million, where did the rest of the money go? Am I missing something?The naming rights was a 20-year deal. I wouldn't assume they get the whole $60M up front.

paciorek1983
06-05-2006, 11:17 PM
The naming rights was a 20-year deal. I wouldn't assume they get the whole $60M up front.

I thought when he deal was announced, that Howard Pizer said that they needed to figure out a way to convert future dollars into money to be used today. So I figured that meant that they wanted all the money up front to do all of the renovations that they wanted to do.:?:

chisoxfanatic
06-05-2006, 11:26 PM

Then consider me a "nobody." I think our out of town scoreboard is not high-tech enough! I want not only to see the scores of the games and pitchers currently in the game; but, I want to see a baseball diamond which has the bases that are occupied highlighted, as well as the number of outs and pitch count. And, hook it up to CBS Sportsline so that it can be continuously updated and current. Who knows...CBS might even sponsor this type of thing!

paciorek1983
06-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Then consider me a "nobody." I think our out of town scoreboard is not high-tech enough! I want not only to see the scores of the games and pitchers currently in the game; but, I want to see a baseball diamond which has the bases that are occupied highlighted, as well as the number of outs and pitch count. And, hook it up to CBS Sportsline so that it can be continuously updated and current. Who knows...CBS might even sponsor this type of thing!

I wouldn't mind it being updated more quickly, but please I woudn't want them to do what they did in Cleveland and Toronto---yuk.

ilsox7
06-05-2006, 11:43 PM
I thought when he deal was announced, that Howard Pizer said that they needed to figure out a way to convert future dollars into money to be used today. So I figured that meant that they wanted all the money up front to do all of the renovations that they wanted to do.:?:

If I am not mistaken, the deal was $3MM per year over 20 years. The Sox would then take that stream of payments and essentially sell it, getting back the present value in a lump sum for the renovations.

The Dude
06-05-2006, 11:44 PM

Are you kidding me???? I agree with fanatic considering I saw how nice the Indians out of town scoreboard and how high tech it is. Ours is outdated so why would we go reverse with technology?? Should we cut all audio and video thoughout the park as well as plastic seats to bring it to the old days?

Chips
06-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Are you kidding me???? I agree with fanatic considering I saw how nice the Indians out of town scoreboard and how high tech it is. Ours is outdated so why would we go reverse with technology?? Should we cut all audio and video thoughout the park as well as plastic seats to bring it to the old days?

We should probably get rid of the upper deck too, huh?

The Dude
06-05-2006, 11:51 PM
We should probably get rid of the upper deck too, huh?

Thanks for stealing my idea but yeah, people like the lower deck and not the upper deck so lets tear it all out.

chisoxfanatic
06-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks for stealing my idea but yeah, people like the lower deck and not the upper deck so lets tear it all out.

It looks like a certain someone would have to relinquish his season tickets! :wink:

Chips
06-06-2006, 12:04 AM

You ride my coattails, I ride yours.

But why would anyone want to move the other way in technology?

JohnBasedowYoda
06-06-2006, 12:16 AM
these threads are like a case of bad gass

peeonwrigley
06-06-2006, 12:26 AM
My ideas wouldn't cost much at all.

- The McDonald's "centerpiece" on the scoreboard has got to go. Its looks like **** up there. Analog clock is a no-brainer. Give McDonald's the spot where the digital clock currently resides.

- I think the out of town scoreboard is fine as it is, but I would like it if it were updated more quickly.

- I don't mind ads around the park in general, but I would like to see the advertising on the outfield wall gone. I hate the segue from our retired numbers to Comcast Sportsnet and Pioneer.

- Jackie Robinson's retired number looks odd by itself. I would like to see it on the same side of the field as the Sox greats, maybe just slightly set off from them.

- I hope the flags representing Division, League, and WS Championships return. I hope even if the Sox win a Wild Card, no flag is put up for the accomplishment.

TheDarkGundam
06-06-2006, 12:27 AM
The scoreboard would be made bigger and/or higher to accomodate the auxiliary board and the out-of-town board, and AN ANOLOG CLOCK---sorry McDonald's--you dorks for not want to sponsor a retro clock.

- The McDonald's "centerpiece" on the scoreboard has got to go. Its looks like **** up there. Analog clock is a no-brainer. Give McDonald's the spot where the digital clock currently resides. This was mentioned one of the previous times this was discussed. I believe Brooks said that McDonald's pays A TON of money for that logo, and they can do whatever they want with it, but the Sox aren't gonna sacrifice all that money just for a clock.

Chips
06-06-2006, 12:31 AM
- Jackie Robinson's retired number looks odd by itself. I would like to see it on the same side of the field as the Sox greats, maybe just slightly set off from them.
He never played for us, I like it being on the other side

- I hope the flags representing Division, League, and WS Championships return. I hope even if the Sox win a Wild Card, no flag is put up for the accomplishment.

We've got the banners.

paciorek1983
06-06-2006, 12:33 AM
This was mentioned one of the previous times this was discussed. I believe Brooks said that McDonald's pays A TON of money for that logo, and they can do whatever they want with it, but the Sox aren't gonna sacrifice all that money just for a clock.

Yeah he said that they can do whatever they want with that space...and they said NO to a clock---that sucks. I'd really love to boycott them for that, but I can't.:(: They're great for a quick cheap meal.:(:

paciorek1983
06-06-2006, 12:35 AM

I want to stop high tech. Lets go mid tech. i don't want to see an indians type board here, but unfortunately, I'm sure it's only a matter of time that we will.:(:

peeonwrigley
06-06-2006, 12:37 AM
We've got the banners.

The banners are fine for this season. I really like them and it made opening day that much more exciting. But going forward I like the flags better. Much more subtle.

peeonwrigley
06-06-2006, 12:39 AM
This was mentioned one of the previous times this was discussed. I believe Brooks said that McDonald's pays A TON of money for that logo, and they can do whatever they want with it, but the Sox aren't gonna sacrifice all that money just for a clock.

Damn. Maybe the Sox should court Rolex to outbid McDonald's.

Chips
06-06-2006, 12:44 AM
I want to stop high tech. Lets go mid tech. i don't want to see an indians type board here, but unfortunately, I'm sure it's only a matter of time that we will.:(:

Technology is here for a reason.

paciorek1983
06-06-2006, 12:58 AM
Technology is here for a reason.

I don't like the Indians scoreboard.

ewokpelts
06-06-2006, 01:42 AM
as per the clock...brooks said that the mcd's sponsorship is due to expire in 06 or 07....no clock until the contract expires...

ewokpelts
06-06-2006, 01:44 AM
Woudn't that recoop some of the building costs?that's money in the sox' pocket......us cellular paid for the contruction....thier money was ONLY for rennovations...any other sponsorship can be applied to payrol, debt service, ect.
Gene

MisterB
06-06-2006, 01:45 AM
One thing that crossed my mind. How many of you remember when the park first opened and how officials were touting the phrase "On time and under budget."????

If I'm not mistaken, the State of Illinois didn't put in the full amount that was needed to build the park as it was designed. So instead of Reinsdorf trying to raise private funds to make up the difference, several design elements were dropped or scaled back to match the funding. This is why the concourses were left as bare concrete, and I believe the outside of the park was to be clad in precast faux brick instead of that pinkish concrete.

Here: http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/Evolution.htm

ewokpelts
06-06-2006, 01:46 AM
Whatever happened to the planned 5-story office building behind the LF wall? Did that get scrapped--or have I just been too unobservant to notice anything going on there?
the plan was to knock down the gate 6 ramp, and replace it with a grand entrance. that structure would have housed the team offices....from what i cather, they scrapped it for the time being. the offices were SUPPOSED to be gutted and the space was to be opened up for new revenue streams. that was scrapped too....the offices were rennovated in 04
gene

ewokpelts
06-06-2006, 01:48 AM
The naming rights was a 20-year deal. I wouldn't assume they get the whole $60M up front.Isfa recieve $68 million in new bonds for rennovations.
the sox get a check from us cellular, and pay the new bonds with the check.
Gene

TheOldRoman
06-06-2006, 01:56 AM

They added 3 rows of seats down the lines. It only makes sense that, since every row is lower than the last, the wall must be lower if it is moved forward.
As for no other parks having low walls, that is incorrect. Most new parks are going with less foul territory and shorter walls to put the fans on top of the action. Remember Uribe's dive into the stands in game 4 of the series? That was a 2 or 3 foot high wall.
Other parks will short walls:
Safeco
Fenway
Comerica
New Busch
Citizen Bank
PNC

As for the first post, I have been preaching about covering the bullpens/patio area with bricks for a long time. The great painted concrete looks horrible and drab. At very least it should be painted green. However, I think the bricks would look great as a backdrop for the green fence.

I think all the exposed grey concrete should be painted green. Also, I would like to see the exterior of the skyboxes covered with bricks.

chisoxfanatic
06-06-2006, 10:13 AM
I don't like the Indians scoreboard.

Why? It has more information about the out of town games than any other scoreboards.

peeonwrigley
06-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Why? It has more information about the out of town games than any other scoreboards.
I think it is overbearing. There's maybe one week a year where someone would desperately be following another game. Otherwise you'll mainly be concerned with the score/inning/pitcher, which the current scoreboard gives (although it could be updated more consistently).

Did anyone go to the last reg. season home game last year? Cleveland finally lost a game to KC, and when it went up on the board the crowd went ape****. Burly had to step off the mound and wait for the crowd.

I thought the suspense building up to that moment was awesome. Anyone who was truly sweating bullets and needed to know faster or to know the situation as it unfolded could have used their cell phone for quicker and more elaborate updates.

Red Barchetta
06-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Adding one. I visited Turner Field last year and really liked the outfield patio bar. It would be cool to expand on the idea at the Cell with perhaps a barbeque pit/grill type deck in right field. The kids get the LF corner and the adults get the RF corner.

paciorek1983
06-06-2006, 05:58 PM

I think it is overbearing. There's maybe one week a year where someone would desperately be following another game. Otherwise you'll mainly be concerned with the score/inning/pitcher, which the current scoreboard gives (although it could be updated more consistently).

Did anyone go to the last reg. season home game last year? Cleveland finally lost a game to KC, and when it went up on the board the crowd went ape****. Burly had to step off the mound and wait for the crowd.

I thought the suspense building up to that moment was awesome. Anyone who was truly sweating bullets and needed to know faster or to know the situation as it unfolded could have used their cell phone for quicker and more elaborate updates.

What he said, that's why.