PDA

View Full Version : Murph's Crosstown Trade Idea

santo=dorf
06-05-2006, 05:03 PM
This afternoon Murph suggested the White Sox Trading Brandon "FOBB" McCarthy for Howry and Eyre.

Pros: We get a solid lefty and righty for our pen both of which are signed for 2 more years. We don't have to worry about our starting pitching logjam for next year.

Cons: Howry is an idiot who made a lot of dumb remarks about the South Side. Eyre is an idiot with ADD who made some lame comment about the beginning of his career not counting. Both guys would be in a Javier Vazquez situation where they could demand a trade after this season. Eyre has a no trade clause. We would lose 5 service years from FOBB (see if you can figure out that one. :wink: )

Just a for fun, would you do this trade?

SOXintheBURGH
06-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Maybe we can bring back Koch and Foulke while we're at it too.

Chisox003
06-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Absolutely not

skobabe8
06-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Well, at least those guys would bring a great attitude.

LuvSox
06-05-2006, 05:30 PM
I voted for **** No!

gbergman
06-05-2006, 05:36 PM
i voted yes, so i can begin my training for avoiding flying objects

The Dude
06-05-2006, 05:43 PM
I'd trade them a bunch of prospects and throw in Cliff Politte for them but not Bmac (Mccarthy)

Ol' No. 2
06-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Where's the choice for "Trade Murphy to some radio station in the Yukon"??

jackbrohamer
06-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Wow, these summer days with no Sox games are brutal. Obviously, ABSOLUTELY nothing to talk about on sports radio.

KRS1
06-05-2006, 06:34 PM
How does anyone even get the inkling of a notion to begin to vote yes here. Murphy is an idiot, and this just proves it.

Dick Allen
06-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Where's the choice for "Trade Murphy to some radio station in the Yukon"??Not far enough. How about Mars?

MarySwiss
06-05-2006, 06:54 PM

Second that! Oh, my crap!

Lawyers in the group: Is there ANY WAY...any way at all...we can prevent this guy from discussing anything even remotely White Sox-related?
HELLO, MURPH! LISTEN UP! Stick to the Cubs, wouldya, pal? And here's a newsflash; you might want to write it down: Sox fans, by and large, DO NOT LIKE YOU!! GOT THAT, BUDDY??

Okay, I'm over it. Probably.

sullythered
06-05-2006, 07:20 PM
As evidenced by most of my posts until this point, I am not one for hyperbole, but if the Sox were to make this trade, it would be the WORST move Kenny has made since his very early days here. No GM worth his salt would ever give up on a talent as clear as MacCarthy at his age. And if he did, it would have to bring MAJOR returns. Certainly not an on-again off-again setup guy with no out pitch and a lefty bullpen guy who has come into his own in just enough time to eat himself out of the league (seriously, has anybody looked at Eyre lately?).

This was clearly a cub fan petitioning for his own favorite team. Please.

Hitmen77
06-05-2006, 10:33 PM
I knew when I saw the words "Murph" and "Idea" in the title of the thread that this was going to be incredibly stupid.

JohnBasedowYoda
06-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Maybe we can bring back Koch and Foulke while we're at it too.

Stay away from the teal man, it's not your style.

SOXPHILE
06-06-2006, 09:32 AM

I third that. That guy is absolutely brutal. Unless things have changed, when he's taking about something other than Cub, (which is for about 3 minutes), his Sox talk consists of throwing out the name of a Sox player, coach, or owner, and asking people to call in and tell him if they would trade them for their counterpart on the Cubs. I've heard him bitch and moan on more than one occasion about how he wishes the Sox & Cubs could trade outright, their managers.

Frater Perdurabo
06-06-2006, 09:37 AM
I've heard him bitch and moan on more than one occasion about how he wishes the Sox & Cubs could trade outright, their managers.

Back when he was on WLS in the late 80s and very early 90s, Murphy coveted Ozzie Guillen. He'd bring Mike North on as a guest, and they would debate over which team was better (North for the Sox, Murph for the Cubs) and then over which shortstop was better (North liked Dunston, Murph liked Guillen).

SOXPHILE
06-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Back when he was on WLS in the late 80s and very early 90s, Murphy coveted Ozzie Guillen. He'd bring Mike North on as a guest, and they would debate over which team was better (North for the Sox, Murph for the Cubs) and then over which shortstop was better (North liked Dunston, Murph liked Guillen).

Yep. Some things never change. He still uses the same, stupid, Wally Phillips-esque sound effects and sound drops that were REALLY stupid and old back then too. It's probably not far off to say that in the near future, he'll have a show asking Cub/Sox fans if they would trade Barret for A.J. Or Cedeno for Uribe. Then start/continue to wail & gnash teeth that the Sox signed Thome this year, and the Cubs didn't back in 2003.

ondafarm
06-06-2006, 10:03 AM
As bad as this deal sounds, there might be a decent twist on it. I wouldn't trade McCarthy for all the tea in China but I might trade Garland back to the Cubs for Eyre and Howry. Brandon could step into the rotation and those two guys would solidify our bullpen.

Judy does have a no-trade clause for this year, he'd have to lift it.

Thome25
06-06-2006, 10:04 AM
this suggestion by Murph tells me that he's a bigger idiot than I thougt he was.

this is a typical flub fan trade suggestion that has no thought to it and wouldn't happen in the real world.

VenturaSoxFan23
06-06-2006, 10:08 AM
While the rose-colored glasses are on, ask Murph if he'd trade Maddux or Zambrano straight-up for McCarthy and see what he says.

<Waiting while Murph goes crazy about how it makes the Cubs look bad.>

That's what I thought. Ixnay.

Uncle_Patrick
06-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Interestingly, on Sunday's Final Word, Tom Waddle also suggested that KW should make some inquiries about obtaining Howry or Eyre. I know that this trade is just hypothetical, but does anyone think that they Cubs would really do anything to help the White Sox? Their fan base would throw a huge fit if the Sox made it to the playoffs with any help from the Cubs. Plus, it seems to me that trading those two guys would certainly be a sign that the Cubs realize that they've got no chance at a playoff spot this year, and I just don't think the Cubs believe that right now (looking at the reaction on Cubs boards to this same topic, I know many fans still think they've gota chance).

credefan24
06-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Murph is a blithering idiot who is as dumb as a bag of hammers.
Oh wait, you know what? That's insulting to the hammers.

Ol' No. 2
06-06-2006, 10:31 AM
As bad as this deal sounds, there might be a decent twist on it. I wouldn't trade McCarthy for all the tea in China but I might trade Garland back to the Cubs for Eyre and Howry. Brandon could step into the rotation and those two guys would solidify our bullpen.

Judy does have a no-trade clause for this year, he'd have to lift it.The problem is, I have ZERO confidence that Howry and Eyre can keep it up. Garland will be winning 15 games a year long after those two are collecting pension checks.

Dan Mega
06-06-2006, 10:41 AM
If KW made a trade like this you would see the torches and pitchforks outside the Cell. McCarthy IS a future starter for the White Sox. Eyre and Howry are now pitching well in the NL.

Dan Mega
06-06-2006, 10:43 AM

Judy does have a no-trade clause for this year, he'd have to lift it.

He wouldn't lift it, and his name is Jon!!

ondafarm
06-06-2006, 11:00 AM
He wouldn't lift it, and his name is Jon!!

I have to say, if I was a player for the World Champion White Sox, with every chance of repeating this year and I had a no-trade clause, I wouldn't lift it to go to the Cubs. But stranger things have happened. The Cubs need to shore up their rotation and the Sox could use solid bullpen help. The Sox will have to deal with starters at some point in the future, why not trade an expensive one.

InContention
06-06-2006, 01:38 PM
I know this is for kicks, but **** that, those 2 urinal cakes are right where they belong.

JohnBasedowYoda
06-06-2006, 02:05 PM
I know this is for kicks, but **** that, those 2 urinal cakes are right where they belong.

that made me giggle

pearso66
06-06-2006, 06:27 PM
The funniest things in this trade idea from Murphy, is that Cub fans are calling in saying no to it. They don't want to be on the bad end of a deal with the Sox again, like the Garland trade. Plus some have said they don't think they are out of it yet, so they'd like to keep the bullpen help.

Ol' No. 2
06-06-2006, 06:32 PM
The funniest things in this trade idea from Murphy, is that Cub fans are calling in saying no to it. They don't want to be on the bad end of a deal with the Sox again, like the Garland trade. Plus some have said they don't think they are out of it yet, so they'd like to keep the bullpen help.I happened to be checking the RIOT numbers (linky (http://riot.ieor.berkeley.edu/%7Ebaseball/)). Even if the Cubs won all their remaining 106 games, they would not be assured of a playoff spot.

MarySwiss
06-06-2006, 06:35 PM
I happened to be checking the RIOT numbers (linky (http://riot.ieor.berkeley.edu/%7Ebaseball/)). Even if the Cubs won all their remaining 106 games, they would not be assured of a playoff spot.

Thank you for that interesting little stat. I plan to use it against the next Cub fan who pisses me off! :cool:

Tragg
06-06-2006, 07:28 PM
This afternoon Murph suggested the White Sox Trading Brandon "FOBB" McCarthy for Howry and Eyre.

Pros: We get a solid lefty and righty for our pen both of which are signed for 2 more years. We don't have to worry about our starting pitching logjam for next year.

Cons: Howry is an idiot who made a lot of dumb remarks about the South Side. Eyre is an idiot with ADD who made some lame comment about the beginning of his career not counting. Both guys would be in a Javier Vazquez situation where they could demand a trade after this season. Eyre has a no trade clause. We would lose 5 service years from FOBB (see if you can figure out that one. :wink: )

Just a for fun, would you do this trade? Hell no!

On a side note, remember what WE got for Howry? Two non-descript double A pitcher.

WizardsofOzzie
06-06-2006, 09:53 PM
After bmac's 2 solid innings tonight, anyone still think this is a good idea?

jabrch
06-06-2006, 11:07 PM
I'd say yes - but with 1 condition. The Cubs pay off the remainder of their contracts, so we'd be getting them for free. That evens out the value of McCarthy for 3 years before arbitration and for another 3 before FA.

tweek57
06-06-2006, 11:30 PM
So what exactly has Scott Eyre proven in the American League throughout his career? The guy goes to the NL and suddenly he's studly, a trip back to the superior league is not what he needs.

caulfield12
06-07-2006, 05:44 PM
I know there are probably a lot of Rowand for Garland threads now, but how about Garland for Juan Pierre?

That way, we'd have a CF for the rest of the season and we still wouldn't be locking BA out of future playing time in 2007.

The problem, of course, is that we would be selling Garland low when it seems his value, despite this season's results, should be higher. Then again, do we really want to be locked in long-term for 3 years of this with JG?

Don't see us getting Torii Hunter, although that would be nice too.

Plus, if you deal Garland, you put McCarthy into the rotation, which further weakens the already subpar bullpen. You've already got Montero and Tracey out there, at least McCarthy has SOME experience and can be counted on to get somebody out based on his past success.

ilsox7
06-07-2006, 05:47 PM
I know there are probably a lot of Rowand for Garland threads now, but how about Garland for Juan Pierre?

That way, we'd have a CF for the rest of the season and we still wouldn't be locking BA out of future playing time in 2007.

The problem, of course, is that we would be selling Garland low when it seems his value, despite this season's results, should be higher. Then again, do we really want to be locked in long-term for 3 years of this with JG?

Plus, if you deal Garland, you put McCarthy into the rotation, which further weakens the already subpar bullpen. You've already got Montero and Tracey out there, at least McCarthy has SOME experience and can be counted on to get somebody out based on his past success.

Juan Pierre is awful both offensively and defensively. He solves absolutely nothing.

MarySwiss
06-07-2006, 05:50 PM

Pierre or Hunter. No thanks on either.

caulfield12
06-07-2006, 06:01 PM
I'm still waiting to hear something other than Carl Crawford, who the D-Rays wouldn't possibly trade for Garland...and we are not going to trade McCarthy, so forget that idea was ever suggested.

Nook Logan...don't look for DET to do us any favors

C. Patterson...that would be asinine to pay top dollar for someone that's finally had 2 good months consecutively

Wells, Matthews, Byrnes, Sizemore, Damon, Rowand, Granderson, Freel, Winn, Beltran, Bernie Williams, Taveras, etc. AREN'T GOING ANYWHERE.

Bay, sure! We're stuck with the likes of Dave Roberts, Brady Clark, Preston Wilson, Mark Kotsay (maybe), Jay Payton, Mike Cameron or Joey Gathright.

I really wish we could have signed Byrnes when he was available to almost anyone in baseball...but KW can't be right every time, and he misses out on the occasional Mike Myers signing now and then, but I actually prefer Thornton long-term anyway.

caulfield12
06-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Ilsox or mary, who would you go after?

Please don't say Ken Griffey or Chris Young.

Tragg
06-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Juan Pierre? Good gracious. He's terrible. He can't field and now he can't hit. Reminder: the Cubs weren't the only fluke that year: so were the Marlins and many of their players who enjoyed career years and a career series.

Eyre is a situational lefty who's reasonably dependable in the right situation and against national league level competition. And Howry? Are memories that short?

This is more insane than the "let's trade our roster for the Marlins roster" last year at this time. At least the Marlins had .500 level talent.

We need pitching; so why trade pitching? Try Garland in the bullpen, perhaps, and see how he does. He did okay in limited work a few years ago.

MarySwiss
06-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Ilsox or mary, who would you go after?

Please don't say Ken Griffey or Chris Young.
Since you ask, I'd stand pat.

As I recall, I was against the Griffey idea last year. The passage of time has given me no reason to change my mind about it.

caulfield12
06-08-2006, 07:41 PM
And you really think we are going to go for the next 100 games with Rob Mackowiak as our centerfielder?

It´s not going to happen...KW will not allow it. R-Mac will be overexposed in that scenario. Then again, I said we would never win the WS with Rowand in CF and Uribe at SS, and it happened.