PDA

View Full Version : Umpire Ruling: what do you think?

I want Mags back
06-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Ok. Here's my situation from a game I umpired Sunday. Its was a Bronco travel game (12 and under) tell me what you think.

The batting team has a man on first, and 0 outs. The kid hits a short flyball, that travels about 15-20 feet down the 1st base line. The catcher dives to make the catch, but can't come up with the ball, and he was just in fair territory. As he dives, he makes a little contact with the batter/runner. The pitcher comes up with the ball, and overthrows to 2nd, trying to get the kid on first who went half way in case it is caught. So he goes to third and then heads home and is thrown out at the plate. The batter made it to third, to finish the play.

The manager of the fielding team comes out, and argues it should be interference on the batter/runner, who made the contact with the catcher. I tell him that the runner has the right to the baseline, and didn't go out of his way to make contact with the catcher. He says "the runner has gotta give the fielder a chance to catch the ball"
That is also a judgement call, and there is no way it would ever be reversed.

He then says i don't know the rules, and calls me a disgrace to the game, I tossed him.

ondafarm
06-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Not having been there I can't be exact but I'd say "Good call."

voodoochile
06-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Ok. Here's my situation from a game I umpired Sunday. Its was a Bronco travel game (12 and under) tell me what you think.

The batting team has a man on first, and 0 outs. The kid hits a short flyball, that travels about 15-20 feet down the 1st base line. The catcher dives to make the catch, but can't come up with the ball, and he was just in fair territory. As he dives, he makes a little contact with the batter/runner. The pitcher comes up with the ball, and overthrows to 2nd, trying to get the kid on first who went half way in case it is caught. So he goes to third and then heads home and is thrown out at the plate. The batter made it to third, to finish the play.

The manager of the fielding team comes out, and argues it should be interference on the batter/runner, who made the contact with the catcher. I tell him that the runner has the right to the baseline, and didn't go out of his way to make contact with the catcher. He says "the runner has gotta give the fielder a chance to catch the ball"

He then says i don't know the rules, and calls me a disgrace to the game, I tossed him.

I thought runners going to first had to be in foul territory to prevent this exact thing from happening. If the runner is in fair territory when they make contact, it's interference as I understand it.

The only thing I have to judge that on is the blockhead play from the playoffs years ago when the catcher threw the ball to first and hit the runner in the back in fair territory. Chuck Knoblauch didn't pick up the ball and only argued with the ump, allowing the on-base runner to score from second.

Sounds like a tough call either way.

SBSoxFan
06-05-2006, 05:03 PM
I don't know the rule. I thought the baserunner is supposed to go out of the baseline to avoid the fielder in such cases (which is a different situation then blocking home plate without the ball).

Regardless, tossing the manager sounds correct for what he said. :D:

Ol' No. 2
06-05-2006, 05:04 PM

He then says i don't know the rules, and calls me a disgrace to the game, I tossed him.I think you messed up. The fielder can't just block the basepaths for no reason, but if he's legitimately fielding the ball in the basepath and the runner makes contact, it's interference, provided, of course, that the contact made the fielder miss. If it's an incidental brush that had no effect, no interference is called. The theory is that the fielder has to play the ball where it is, but the runner can go around.

ilsox7
06-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Interesting situation. Honestly, from the description, I thought the fielding team had a gripe. But I found this provision in the rules:

Rule 7.09(j) Comment: When a catcher and batter-runner going to first base have contact when the catcher is fielding the ball, there is generally no violation and nothing should be called.
So it looks like you have a pretty strong leg to stand on.

Ol' No. 2
06-05-2006, 05:05 PM
I thought runners going to first had to be in foul territory to prevent this exact thing from happening. If the runner is in fair territory when they make contact, it's interference as I understand it.

The only thing I have to judge that on is the blockhead play from the playoffs years ago when the catcher threw the ball to first and hit the runner in the back in fair territory. Chuck Knoblauch didn't pick up the ball and only argued with the ump, allowing the on-base runner to score from second.

Sounds like a tough call either way.That applies only to a thrown ball. If it hits the runner and he's not in the basepath, it's interference.

SaltyPretzel
06-05-2006, 05:07 PM
I think it's interference on the batter who should have been called out with the baserunner returning to 1st.

I want Mags back
06-05-2006, 05:07 PM

i guess i miss wrote what i wanted to say, or forgot to mention it. the runner was further to the right than the catcher, who was right in the line, so i guess he was kinda in foul ground

voodoochile
06-05-2006, 05:11 PM
i guess i miss wrote what i wanted to say, or forgot to mention it. the runner was further to the right than the catcher, who was right in the line, so i guess he was kinda in foul ground

No, you mentioned the ball was fair, so I assumed. Like I said, tough call and from the looks of the rules that have been spliced into this thread, you made the right call. They must have gotten to the spot at about the same time. No way the batter intentionally ran over the catcher from behind unless the catcher is otherworldly fast and initially passed the batter on the way to the ball.

Sounds incidental and that to me means no foul - which again is what that rule ilsox found says.

Either way you did the right thing tossing the coach. No excuse for that kind of behavior in a LL game. All he's teaching his players is that if you don't like the answer you get you should belittle the person who gave it to you.

gbergman
06-05-2006, 05:48 PM
You made the correct call. The runner was in foul territory where he is supposed to be. The catcher was on the line and touched him so its incedental. The result of the play should be the Batter on third and the man who was on first is out because of the play at home plate. so 1 on 1 out. Good Call, the manager is a dumbass. If the baserunner was on or in fair territory when the throw was being made that is a whole other story.

ma-gaga
06-05-2006, 07:32 PM

I think you made the right call as well.

But what I really want to know is who won the game and what was the final score??

A. Cavatica
06-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Hold on, I'm not seeing how AJ was involved.

Brian26
06-05-2006, 09:19 PM
No, you mentioned the ball was fair, so I assumed.

Here's my take:

He mentioned that the ball was foul, but the catcher was partly in fair territory. I'm envisioning the batter running to directly to first in the baseline. The catcher is trying to catch a ball that is going to drop in foul territory by a couple of feet, but the catcher is moving left to right (maybe his feet are in fair territory and his hand and glove are in foul). The batter and the catcher make contact.

You made the correct call. The batter has every right to run to first base and doesn't have to stop to get out of the way of the catcher.

I want Mags back
06-05-2006, 09:39 PM
But what I really want to know is who won the game and what was the final score??

this was in game 2 of a DH.

game one was 7-5, hitting team
game two was 4-1, fielding team