PDA

View Full Version : Josh Fields

bigredrudy
06-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Except for strikeouts, Josh has very impressive numbers at AAA. But how good is he really? BA did not have him in their top 20 in the SL last year and I have not seen anyone touting him except Sox fans and management. Does he run well? I presume he has a good arm because he was a college quarterback and plays third base. Does he have a good knowledge of the strike zone? Is he fast enough to really play the outfield? I know I would not want to see Crede in the outfield.

DaleJRFan
06-05-2006, 02:09 PM
After he was drafted by the Sox in 04, the following was posted on mlb.com

LARGE FRAME. MATURE BODY, HEAVY REAR & LEGS. BODY TYPE SIMILAR TO LANCE BERKMAN. WIDE, SEMI-SQUAT STANCE. BAT PINCHED INTO CHEST. STRENGTH IN SLIGHT UPPERCUT SWING W/ PWR POTENTIAL. ARM PLAYABLE, ACCURATE THROWS. HANDS & DEFENSIVE ACTIONS SHOW PROPER TECHNIC. ALERT BASE RUNNER. PHYSICALLY MATURE. STRENGTH IN SWING, BAT & PWR POTENTIAL.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/draftday/y2004/search.jsp?sc=round&sp=1

Britt Burns
06-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Josh has gotten better with each game and is shaping up to be a true, top-tier prospect. He does strike out a bunch, but hey, so does Jim Thome. The key is that he is walking more and more recently-I bet he is averaging a BB per K over the last month or so, and for someone considered raw coming out of the draft (as he had focused more on football in college), he has shot through the system and improved with every step.

From what I hear his D is solid if not spectacular. He keeps hitting like he has and I can imagine a scenario where the Sox lock up Crede, free up a corner OF spot and turn Josh into an outfielder.

DaleJRFan
06-05-2006, 02:56 PM
From everything I have read, seen, heard, etc... Josh Fields is very similar to Jim Thome when he was considered a prospect, with the exception that Fields bats from the right side. He's a servicable defensive third baseman who could possibly benefit from being moved to another position, he has a TON of power, strikes out a bunch but has the potential to be something very special at the MLB level.

Hopefully he gets a chance to play some games with the Sox this September - or - nets the team a viable bullpen solution. :cool:

KRS1
06-05-2006, 07:09 PM
From what I hear his D is solid if not spectacular.

You heard wrong.... He has definitely improved his glove between the first time I saw him and this spring, but this ST, he was still booting some rather routine plays, and he can rush himself forcing errant throws. The last word I would use to describe his D is 'spectacular', and he still has a little way to go before I would even consider him 'solid', as in consistent. He has made some very great plays the times I have watched him, and the skill set is there for him to keep imroving, but he really needs to be more consistent.

Where did you hear this?

tm1119
06-05-2006, 09:35 PM
I can see him being trade bait it we decide to trade this season. Some team will want his bat and his potential.

kwolf68
06-07-2006, 11:02 AM
We are not going to trade Josh Fields. The amount of improvement he has shown from last year to this indicates he is a can't miss talent.

If he was leveling off a bit, maybe you move him, but Josh Fields will NOT be dealt this year, under ANY scenario outside of someone like Carl Crawford being in the deal. NOT HAPPENING.

Fields is a fine athlete and I believe he has the finese to play the hot corner as he is improving there as well even though he isn't there yet. Remember, Crede I believe was moved to 3rd from 1st and also had to learn the position and he eventually got better.

Yes, it is also possible he could be moved to one of the OF corners, but right now he's being groomed as Crede's replacement just in case the Sox can't lock up Crede and knowing the history with Boras and the Sox we don't know how that will all play out.

NO WAY IN HELL do the Sox trade him with Crede not locked up for the next 4 or 5 years. Fields has too much potential to deal away...I am fine with dealing potential for talent, but we've dealt Young, Gio, and Haigwood...I'd prefer to hold off unless someone blows us away.

And while we laugh and harp on some of the guys we did trade, its worth a note John Rauch has been outstanding for Washington this year in relief and they are rumored to be looking at moving him into the rotation if they deal Hernandez or Armas.

Randar68
06-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Fields is a fine athlete and I believe he has the finese to play the hot corner as he is improving there as well even though he isn't there yet. Remember, Crede I believe was moved to 3rd from 1st and also had to learn the position and he eventually got better.

I agree with you he won't be dealt, but Crede was NEVER a 1B. Was drafted as a 3B and played there his entire career.

And while we laugh and harp on some of the guys we did trade, its worth a note John Rauch has been outstanding for Washington this year in relief and they are rumored to be looking at moving him into the rotation if they deal Hernandez or Armas.

Jon Rauch has done very well and was Washington's third best starter coming out of the spring. He's been as good as just about anyone in our pen...

White Sox Randy
06-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Rauch has been good not great. He's had no save opportunities - so no pressure situations. This is also the NL, not the AL, so let's not get carried away.

And, I think we let him go because of his attitude more than anything. Although he probably has matured since then.

kwolf68
06-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Randar. Thanks for that tidbit on Crede. I wasn't sure where he started. Somehow I got it in my mind he started at 1st base.

Sometimes 3rd basemen are moved from first, sometimes from the outfield, because they aren't really fast, but have good quickness and instincts.

From all reports, Fields has made not only a strong leap with the bat, but at the corner. He was also in AA last year, moved up, and still has improved exponentially. In short, his star is rising and we’d be fools to deal him knowing what we MAY Have (I’d hate to deal the next Mike Schmidt—don’t rag me for the comparison, because it is clearly non-sense RIGHT NOW).

That being said, if the day comes where we lock up Crede LT (As I hope) then we have choices to make. Do we then deal Fields or contemplate moving him to the outfield.

The problem I have RIGHT NOW with moving him out of 3rd base is the fact he is showing marked improvement. If he showing littler or no improvement in the field then yes…it is a golden opportunity to make the move, however, he appears to be progressing very nicely at the position and I don’t want to mess with it, no matter the talent we have.

Josh Fields, in my view, has superstar potential written all over him. Fine athlete, great hitter/power, and is showing the propensity to just get better and better. Keep in mind, this is the first time in his life he is concentrating on just baseball…and the fruits of that labor are now being realized.

I don’t want to move this kid under ANY circumstance unless it brings us a proven stud (Carl Crawford type).

maurice
06-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Fields busted his ass during the offseason and really improved his swing. He looks like a completely different hitter compared to the end of last year. His swing is shorter, so now he can wait back on the ball longer and drive it to deep RCF at will. He also is walking and stealing bases.
:gulp:

rdivaldi
06-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Rauch has been good not great. He's had no save opportunities - so no pressure situations. This is also the NL, not the AL, so let's not get carried away.

And, I think we let him go because of his attitude more than anything. Although he probably has matured since then.

Rauch is still the best White Sox pitching prospect I've seen over the past ten years (yep, I'll go down with the ship every time). He was jaw-dropping good in 2000 and I still think that if this guy could stay healthy he'd be a front of the rotation starter. Unfortunately I don't think that will ever happen.

rdivaldi
06-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Fields busted his ass during the offseason and really improved his swing. He looks like a completely different hitter compared to the end of last year. His swing is shorter, so now he can wait back on the ball longer and drive it to deep RCF at will. He also is walking and stealing bases.
:gulp:

Sounds like he's doing everything that Brian Anderson hasn't.

Randar68
06-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Sometimes 3rd basemen are moved from first, sometimes from the outfield, because they aren't really fast, but have good quickness and instincts.

From all reports, Fields has made not only a strong leap with the bat, but at the corner. He was also in AA last year, moved up, and still has improved exponentially.

In my experience this is almost never the case. 3rd basemen who cannot handle the position defensively are most often moved to 1st base or LF, but I cannot recall a single instance of a player being moved from LF or 1B to 3rd because they couldn't handle those positions...

In developmental ball, the best athletes usually start at SS, CF, P, and if they are too big for SS, they are at 3rd or 1st depending on what they can handle defensively.

California Sox
06-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Occasionally you'll see a third baseman start out as a rightfielder. Similar skill sets. I believe Tim Wallach was an example of that.

Oh,btw, Fields lashed a double off Jeremy Guthrie in his first AB tonight to drive in two.

JorgeFabregas
06-11-2006, 06:07 PM
He hit a homerun and stole home in a double steal today.
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2006_06_11_bufaaa_chraaa_1&t=g_box&did=milb

DaleJRFan
06-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Occasionally you'll see a third baseman start out as a rightfielder. Similar skill sets. I believe Tim Wallach was an example of that.

Oh,btw, Fields lashed a double off Jeremy Guthrie in his first AB tonight to drive in two.

Good call. Also seem to recall Casey Blake coming up as a 3B and was awful, so he was moved to RF where he is flourishing defensively.

CleeFan101
06-12-2006, 05:37 AM
Good call. Also seem to recall Casey Blake coming up as a 3B and was awful, so he was moved to RF where he is flourishing defensively.

Im pretty sure he moved to RF to make room for Aaron Boone....

DaleJRFan
06-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Im pretty sure he moved to RF to make room for Aaron Boone....

He was moved to the outfield because of his 26 errors in 2004. Boone was brought in to fix that problem. He proceeded to commit 18 errors in 2005. WOW, what an improvement.