PDA

View Full Version : MLB Draft Tomorrow - Place Your Bets

Britt Burns
06-05-2006, 12:05 PM
As you probably know, tomorrow is the MLB amatuer draft. The Sox pick 29th. (Never thought I'd be so happy to have such a late pick!) It is generally considered one of the poorer drafts in years (2000 keeps coming up in comparison). So all you GM's, you will the Sox take?

I think KW sticks to form and drafts David Huff from UCLA-he loves those college lefties. Huff is described as something of a Buerhle clone-high 80s fastball, good location, mixes pitches and changes speeds well. If Huff is unavailable OF Tyer Colvin from Clemson might be a good pick-he is sort of a poor man's Drew Stubbs (but with a lefty bat).

As always, I hope we stay away from high school pitchers, and have made peace with the fact that once more we will go through the draft without picking up a legitimate lefthanded hitting infielder at a skill position...sigh.

TheKittle
06-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Draft Marcus Lemon.

I'm not against drafting a HS pitcher. I certainly wouldn't over draft a college pitcher over a more highly rated HS pitcher.

For every HS pitcher who bombed, there is a college pitcher who bombed.

ChiSoxRowand
06-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Draft Marcus Lemon.

I'm not against drafting a HS pitcher. I certainly wouldn't over draft a college pitcher over a more highly rated HS pitcher.

For every HS pitcher who bombed, there is a college pitcher who bombed.

What's up with you and Lemon? Seriously, Lemon is ranked as BA's #120 prospect, it would be an absolute reach to take him that high. I am gonna go with Bryan Morris, a pitcher from Motlow St. CC in Tennessee, who the D-Rays couldn't sign as a draft and follow.

FedEx227
06-05-2006, 03:19 PM
You guys know of any place where I can see/listen to this live?

Hopefully for free?

Fungo
06-05-2006, 03:31 PM
You guys know of any place where I can see/listen to this live?

Hopefully for free?MLB.com

White Sox Randy
06-05-2006, 03:32 PM
What's up with you and Lemon? Seriously, Lemon is ranked as BA's #120 prospect, it would be an absolute reach to take him that high. I am gonna go with Bryan Morris, a pitcher from Motlow St. CC in Tennessee, who the D-Rays couldn't sign as a draft and follow.

Me too. I say they pick Morris.

Flight #24
06-05-2006, 03:34 PM
IMO it would be nice to grab a "signability" guy who slips.

Fungo
06-05-2006, 03:49 PM
What a crapshoot, but here goes. Probably pitcher in the first round, but being that the draft starts on 6-6-06, I'll say the Sox select SS, Stephen King out of Winter Park HS in Orlando. Second round they go with RHP, Wade Kapteyn out of Illiana Christian HS in Lansing, IL.

Wes Hodges isn't a bad choice in the first either.

KRS1
06-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Me too. I say they pick Morris.
The way things are shaping up right now, it would be more than a miracle if Morris were to get all the way through round one for us to pick. I say we go with a prep pitcher, definitely a power arm. Jordan Walden(word is he's a sandwich pick now), or Colten Willems.

TheKittle
06-05-2006, 05:20 PM

Hello!!! did I saw take Lemon in the first round??? NOOO I think it would be great if the Sox drafted Lemon.

KRS1
06-05-2006, 05:24 PM
Hello!!! did I saw take Lemon in the first round??? NOOO I think it would be great if the Sox drafted Lemon.

I pretty much picked up on what you meant when you said the pitchers stuff, that you think/want a HS pitcher in round one, but for the record you have said you thought we should take Lemon in round one previously. You said he would be a sandwich pick, and we would need to get him with our first pick to get him, so maybe your past statements coupled with you mentioning him here in a thread (for the most part) about who we will pick first is what they are refering to.

ballclub3
06-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Just take the best player available regardless of position. I hope they set their sights higher than Lance Broadway and Chris Getz with their higher picks. Those guys don't have good enough tools to be drafted as high as they were.

cws05champ
06-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Maybe we can get a guy to replace Politte in the bullpen this year!