PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think #23 should've been retired for Ventura?!

Thome25
06-05-2006, 10:38 AM
I know Dye's our guy now and he's been great as a White Sox player and won the World Series MVP. I love him as much as the next fan. He should be able to wear whatever number he wants out there in my book.

But, it kinda irks me a little to see him wearing #23 out there. I honestly believe that number should've been retired for the greatest 3b (and in my opinion one of the greatest White Sox players PERIOD.) in White Sox history ROBIN VENTURA.

Anyone agree/disagree?! What are your thoughts out there?!

TornLabrum
06-05-2006, 10:45 AM
I know Dye's our guy now and he's been great as a White Sox player and won the World Series MVP. I love him as much as the next fan. He should be able to wear whatever number he wants out there in my book.

But, it kinda irks me a little to see him wearing #23 out there. I honestly believe that number should've been retired for the greatest 3b (and in my opinion one of the greatest White Sox players PERIOD.) in White Sox history ROBIN VENTURA.

Let's look at our retired numbers:

2: HOF
3: One cut below HOF
4: HOF
9: Should be in the HOF
11: HOF
16: HOF
19: Would be in the HOF if he'd played in NY
72: HOF

23: Nowhere neaer HOF caliber.

So the answer is NO.

rpac44
06-05-2006, 10:49 AM
because he is my favorite all time sox player i want to say yes, but numbers are retired for great putting up great numbers over an extended period of time (as tornlabrum showed), not for playing your ass off every day, which is what we all loved robin for, so in reality the answer is no although if it did happen i wouldn't argue it

Thome25
06-05-2006, 10:51 AM

So the answer is NO.

yeah but the bottom line is Harold Baines, Minnie Minoso, and Billy Pierce aren't in the hall of fame and as I think they deserve to go, probably won't be in there anytime soon.

to me Ventura is in the same boat as all three of them, possible/borderline hall of famer who is a white sox great and deserves to have his number retired. He probably fits in with Baines the most neither of them put up HOF caliber numbers but are still favorites who are loved and adored by the fans and they are both white sox greats who deserve this honor.

Thome25
06-05-2006, 10:54 AM
because he is my favorite all time sox player i want to say yes, but numbers are retired for great putting up great numbers over an extended period of time (as tornlabrum showed), not for playing your ass off every day, which is what we all loved robin for, so in reality the answer is no although if it did happen i wouldn't argue it

First off, For the record I just want to let you guys know that I'm not trying to berate anyone here. I'm very interested in your guys' opinions here just want to have some friendly conversation thats all.

to me ventura did put up great numbers for us for an extended period of time. He was pretty good and consistent offensively and he did win all those gold gloves.

CHISOXFAN13
06-05-2006, 10:59 AM
yeah but the bottom line is Harold Baines, Minnie Minoso, and Billy Pierce aren't in the hall of fame and as I think they deserve to go, probably won't be in there anytime soon.

to me Ventura is in the same boat as all three of them, possible/borderline hall of famer who is a white sox great and deserves to have his number retired. He probably fits in with Baines the most neither of them put up HOF caliber numbers but are still favorites who are loved and adored by the fans and they are both white sox greats who deserve this honor.

Baines was a career .289 hitter who was less than 200 hits from getting to 3,000. I love Ventura, but they aren't in the same category.

miker
06-05-2006, 11:00 AM
I liked Robin and the way he played and he had some great years and great moments for the White Sox, but I'm not sure he's retired-number caliber.

Maybe we need a "Not-quite-retired-number-quality Wall of Fame" for players like him.

miker
06-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Baines was a career .289 hitter who was less than 200 hits from getting to 3,000. I love Ventura, but they aren't in the same category.
I'm a big Harold fan too, but IMHO retiring #3 was a case of slightly-overactive promotion.

Chicken Dinner
06-05-2006, 11:03 AM
These aren't "retire your number" stats. Sorry

http://www.baseball-reference.com/v/venturo01.shtml

Thome25
06-05-2006, 11:05 AM
I liked Robin and the way he played and he had some great years and great moments for the White Sox, but I'm not sure he's retired-number caliber.

Maybe we need a "Not-quite-retired-number-quality Wall of Fame" for players like him.

I like that one who would be in that category?!....let's see so we already have Robin Ventura maybe Bobby Thigpen?!

Frater Perdurabo
06-05-2006, 11:08 AM

In fairness, Robin never had a chance to collect more hits because he played six fewer seasons than Baines. Baines stuck around for a long time and played much of his career as a designated hitter. Baines was a very good right fielder until his knees no longer allowed him to play the field. Robin was a top-notch third baseman, a position where defense is more important than right field. So, in my estimation, Baines and Ventura are closer together than some may think.

I would not mind if Ventura's #23 were retired, but I'm not going to advocate on behalf of retiring it, either.

Thome25
06-05-2006, 11:08 AM

Yeah i mean if they can retire Baines' number in what was it?! 1989?! way before he was even close to 3,000 hits then they should be able to retire ventura's too. He didn't have the stats then to get his number retired either.

Also, we're talkin players who are the greatest in OUR history NOT in the history of baseball. HOF's are the greatest in history.

Ventura is the greatest 3b in OUR history he should be honored somehow in my book.

batmanZoSo
06-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Hell no. First, we have way too many retired numbers for so few great players we've had. Second, Ventura's not only not worthy of having his number retired, but he spent a pretty good chunk of his career on other teams.

Steelrod
06-05-2006, 11:15 AM

Was Ventura ever the most valuable player on his own team?
Loved him, but not even close.

Thome25
06-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Hell no. First, we have way too many retired numbers for so few great players we've had. Second, Ventura's not only not worthy of having his number retired, but he spent a pretty good chunk of his career on other teams.

Baines spent a good chunk of his career with other clubs too. To me Ventura is in almost the exact same boat as Baines. if baines can have his number retired here so should ventura.

Or maybe they could honor him in some way without actually retiring his number.

Thome25
06-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Does anyone know the answer to this question?!

Was it Nossek who wore ventura's 23 for a few years so no one else could wear it after him?!

i think i remember hearing that. it was his own personal way of retiring it.

TornLabrum
06-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Yeah i mean if they can retire Baines' number in what was it?! 1989?! way before he was even close to 3,000 hits then they should be able to retire ventura's too. He didn't have the stats then to get his number retired either.

Also, we're talkin players who are the greatest in OUR history NOT in the history of baseball. HOF's are the greatest in history.

Ventura is the greatest 3b in OUR history he should be honored somehow in my book.

The thing you're neglecting here is that a whole lot of people thought that retiring Baines's number was a joke when the Sox did it...something to placate the fans who were ticked off at his being traded.

That's why Baines is the floor in the retired-numbers category. Ventura would represent the sub-basement.

thepaulbowski
06-05-2006, 11:21 AM
The answer is simple: No.

kittle42
06-05-2006, 11:23 AM
The thing you're neglecting here is that a whole lot of people thought that retiring Baines's number was a joke when the Sox did it...something to placate the fans who were ticked off at his being traded.

That's why Baines is the floor in the retired-numbers category. Ventura would represent the sub-basement.

Agreed. Retiring Ventura's number would be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much of a lowering of the bar.

IMO, the only players over my lifetime who undoubtedly should have had their numbers retired are Carlton Fisk and Frank Thomas.

As for anyone on the current roster, that remains to be seen, though if the question was "if they were traded today, would you retire their number?" the answer is no one.

*Maybe* Guillen, but he'd have to keep managing for a long time.

DaleJRFan
06-05-2006, 11:25 AM

Not to mention that his best season was in New York in 1999, the year after he left.

I 100% agree with what you said... way TOO many players have their numbers retired, not just on the Sox. Soon there won't be any jersey numbers left.

vegyrex
06-05-2006, 12:10 PM

So true!! I remember doing this ---> :rolleyes: when the Sox announced Baines number being retired right after they traded him. I think Harold had the same reaction IIRC.

As much as loved Robin I don't think his number should be retired. Maybe they can have a special bobblehead doll day for him. :cool:

ShoelessJoeS
06-05-2006, 12:40 PM

So the answer is NO.Per whitesox.com:

Billy Pierce spent 13 seasons with the White Sox and was a seven-time All-Star. The only Sox pitcher to start an All-Star game, his number was retired in 1987.

Geez, you'd think somebody would have updated that by now?

Thome25
06-05-2006, 02:35 PM
I do have something to point out here. I am a HUGE Frank Thomas fan. I have been a supporter of his even through the bad times. PLEASE DO NOT think I'm bashing him here but:

Frank Thomas will have his number 35 retired by the white sox someday. We all agree that HOF white sox players (or ones that are "close" to the hall of fame.) should have their numbers retired by the white sox. As of right now, his numbers in the key hall of fame categories Home runs, hits, rbi, etc. resemble those of Jose Canseco and Fred McGriff.

I hope Frank makes it to the HOF one day but,Jose Canseco and Fred McGriff will never be in the hall of fame and will never have their numbers retired by any club. We will probably retire Frank Thomas' number because of the wonderful things that he has done in WHITE SOX HISTORY. And the numbers he put up while wearing our uniform while breaking OUR team records.

My point is, why can't we retire Ventura's #23 because of what he meant to us and the things he did in WHITE SOX HISTORY?!

kittle42
06-05-2006, 02:39 PM
My point is, why can't we retire Ventura's #23 because of what he meant to us and the things he did in WHITE SOX HISTORY?!

Because his accomplishments are far from those of Frank Thomas.

TheKittle
06-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Not to mention that his best season was in New York in 1999, the year after he left.

I 100% agree with what you said... way TOO many players have their numbers retired, not just on the Sox. Soon there won't be any jersey numbers left.

A different sport but the Bears don't seem to care if there aren't any jersey numbers left. They have something like 12 numbers retired. And considering that football has double the amount of players on a roster and the stupid NFL has a stupid uniform number policy, it must be harder for the Bears, but they still will retire a players number.

1951Campbell
06-05-2006, 03:14 PM
(1) not enough time with the team.

(2) numbers not quite impressive enough.

Thome25
06-05-2006, 03:29 PM
(1) not enough time with the team.

(2) numbers not quite impressive enough.

This seems to be the consensus among WSIers so far. ventura seems to be a borderline player where it could probably go either way as far as retiring his number goes.

it's a shame because to me he was a GREAT player for the white sox for a while there.

He was also the GREATEST 3b in White Sox history.

Thome25
06-05-2006, 03:44 PM
I'm not saying that he deserves to be in the hall of fame but at the website to the baseball hall of fame it I looked at all of the 3b in there and ventura has more home runs than all but 3 of them and he did win all of those gold gloves.

I'm surprised, I thought robin would get more support. I do respect everyone's opinion here though.

Keep the comments coming!!! GO WHITE SOX!!!

Epark84
06-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Per whitesox.com:

Billy Pierce spent 13 seasons with the White Sox and was a seven-time All-Star. The only Sox pitcher to start an All-Star game, his number was retired in 1987.

Geez, you'd think somebody would have updated that by now?

Didnt buerhle stat an all star game recently?

robiwho
06-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Much as I love Robin, who's still my all-time favorite White Sox player, I have to agree with everyone else who said no to retiring his number.

GoGoSoxReborn
06-05-2006, 04:09 PM
And while we're at it why don't we retire Lance Johnson's number...

gbergman
06-05-2006, 04:49 PM
No, Ventura hit 300 once in his career and that was .301 for the mets he had 1 30 hr season, and 3 100 rbi seasons. He is not retired number worthy

TDog
06-05-2006, 04:55 PM
The Sox have too many retired numbers as it is. When you consider that none of the players whose numbers are retired ever won a World Series with the Sox, and fewer than half even played in the World Seres with the Sox, you have to question the Sox number-retirement standards. It doesn't bother me that Jim Thome is wearing Tommy John's number. It doesn't even bother me that Ross Gload is wearing Carlos May's number 17, and Carlos May was my favorite player. Ross Gload doesn't even come close.

When I wear a jersey, it has no name on it, just a number. I saw Jerry Hairston Sr. in Tucson and he started talking to me because he wore 17. It isn't a sign of disrespect to have players wear the number. A.J. Pierzynski is wearing Ed Herrmann's number, and Herrmann was a better catcher. Paul Konerko is wearing Bill Melton's number. Harold Baines was wearing Walt "No-Neck" Williams' number. There's nothing wrong with that.

It's called tradition.

soxinem1
06-05-2006, 04:57 PM

So the answer is NO.

I agree. Though Robin was without a doubt the best long-term offensive and defensive 3B in team history, he was an All-Star caliber player, not a HOF'er.

I remeber Graig Nettles wearing #9 with the Yankees, the same number Roger Maris wore with them. The number was later retired for Maris, but Nettles did a lot too for the Yankees, and I don't hear anyone saying he was disrespected.

Let Dye make his own #23 memories, and leave it unretired.

Daver
06-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Torn's list left off 35.

Though it is not yet retired, no Sox player will ever wear it again.

And Harold Baines is going to be on a very short list of players with 1,500 RBI's that is not in the HOF.

The HOF and the shortsighted curmudgeons that make up their voters can kiss my ass, I have no respect for it.

qpropaganda
06-05-2006, 05:59 PM
I'd have to say no...IMO robin was pretty fantastic but his career with the sox does not deserve a retired number...

The Dude
06-05-2006, 06:01 PM

In a quick response, no way!

Robin was a good player and an absolute stud at defense and driving home those grand slams but just is not retired number worthy. The next retired number will be #35 no question.

Thome25
06-06-2006, 08:57 AM
The Sox have too many retired numbers as it is. When you consider that none of the players whose numbers are retired ever won a World Series with the Sox, and fewer than half even played in the World Seres with the Sox, you have to question the Sox number-retirement standards. It doesn't bother me that Jim Thome is wearing Tommy John's number. It doesn't even bother me that Ross Gload is wearing Carlos May's number 17, and Carlos May was my favorite player. Ross Gload doesn't even come close.

When I wear a jersey, it has no name on it, just a number. I saw Jerry Hairston Sr. in Tucson and he started talking to me because he wore 17. It isn't a sign of disrespect to have players wear the number. A.J. Pierzynski is wearing Ed Herrmann's number, and Herrmann was a better catcher. Paul Konerko is wearing Bill Melton's number. Harold Baines was wearing Walt "No-Neck" Williams' number. There's nothing wrong with that.

It's called tradition

I like your point of view on this issue. I'd have to say that it made me feel a little better about seeing that old #23 out there.

Almost every unretired number has a tradition. I just tend to worry about it when a current player who wears a number that to me has some tradition (like the number 23) and that player surpasses the tradition of the previous player who wears it. Does that make sense?! EX: Konerko to me has surpassed Bill Melton in the number 14. People will probably remember the number 14 as Paul Konerko even though Melton was also a great player.

I believe the same might be happening with the number 23. And Ventura is a great player that no one should ever forget.

OK here's another question to play devils advocate. Keep commenting on the #23 But, answer this question too: Does anyone think they should retire ozzie's number 13 when he's done?!

Irishsox1
06-06-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm in favor of "retiring" numbers, but keeping them in the rotation. Who wouldn't love to wear #7 for the Yankees, or #42 for the Dodgers, or #72 for the White Sox.

hold2dibber
06-06-2006, 11:16 AM
I hope Frank makes it to the HOF one day but,Jose Canseco and Fred McGriff will never be in the hall of fame and will never have their numbers retired by any club.

Frank is number 11 all time in OPS (.995). McGriff is 75th all-time and Conseco's not even in the top 100. Frank has 2 MVPs and a total of 8 top 10 MVP finishes; McGriff has zero MVPs and 6 top ten MVP finishes; Conseco has 1 MVP and 2 top 10 MVP finishes. Over every 162 games of their careers, Thomas has averaged moire hits, more runs, more walks, less strikeouts, and more RBIs than either of the other two. Frank dominated the league for a seven year period in a manner in which only a handful of all time greats have done. McGriff never had a single year like that and Conseco had one (and it was, as we all know, a fraud). Frank is inarguably one of the top 5 or 6 right handed hitters of all time. Conseco and McGriff aren't even in the discussion.

Thome25
06-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Frank is number 11 all time in OPS (.995). McGriff is 75th all-time and Conseco's not even in the top 100. Frank has 2 MVPs and a total of 8 top 10 MVP finishes; McGriff has zero MVPs and 6 top ten MVP finishes; Conseco has 1 MVP and 2 top 10 MVP finishes. Over every 162 games of their careers, Thomas has averaged moire hits, more runs, more walks, less strikeouts, and more RBIs than either of the other two. Frank dominated the league for a seven year period in a manner in which only a handful of all time greats have done. McGriff never had a single year like that and Conseco had one (and it was, as we all know, a fraud). Frank is inarguably one of the top 5 or 6 right handed hitters of all time. Conseco and McGriff aren't even in the discussion.

Whoa, just for the record i'm NOT trying to shred Frank. I love him as much as the next fan. I do not want this thread to become a Frank vs Canseco and McGriff debate.

My comparison between the three were in some of the catergories that make you a lock for the hall of fame. Hits, Home Runs and RBI.

As of right now, the numbers between the three are pretty similar. I hope Frank hits up over 500 home runs and makes it to the HOF someday.

I know I brought the frank situation up, and now I wish I hadn't but, PLEASE keep the subject of this thread about Ventura's (and now Ozzie's) possible jersey retirement.

VenturaSoxFan23
06-06-2006, 01:17 PM
As bad as he played for the Sox at the beginning of his career, a lot of people wouldn't have minded if the old #21 he wore was retired with him still in it. :D:

No, don't retire the 23. On the same note, unretire the 42.

Tekijawa
06-06-2006, 01:20 PM
I like that one who would be in that category?!....let's see so we already have Robin Ventura maybe Bobby Thigpen?!
Black Jack McDowell... Maybe someday they can build Statues out of Collected plastic cups from games and put them on the ramps or something?

kittle42
06-06-2006, 01:22 PM

Conseco, as in Conseco Fieldhouse?

Thome25
06-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Black Jack McDowell

OK so far we have Robin Ventura, Bobby Thigpen, and now Black Jack for a possible "White Sox wall of fame". It should be a mural somewhere in the park painted by one of these famous sports artists.

It could honor all of the White Sox borderline greats who just weren't quite good enough for a number retirement or a statue but, still deserve some kind of honor.

Someone get Brooks' email address handy!! GO SOX!!

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-06-2006, 01:28 PM
OK so far we have Robin Ventura, Bobby Thigpen, and now Black Jack for a possible "White Sox wall of fame". It should be a mural somewhere in the park painted by one of these famous sports artists.

It could honor all of the White Sox borderline greats who just weren't quite good enough for a number retirement or a statue but, still deserve some kind of honor.

Someone get Brooks' email address handy!! GO SOX!!

Check the UD concourse. They're all up there ALREADY.

Thome25
06-06-2006, 01:30 PM

Is there one there already?! I haven't been to the ballpark in a few years because I live outta state now. If it is there who's in it?! and what's it look like?! It it at least halfway decent?!

tacosalbarojas
06-06-2006, 01:36 PM

It's called tradition.As Robin himself said when addressing a Dye at bat during one of those games he called last year when Hawk was out with that bad eye: "hey he looks pretty good in that uniform."

Hitmen77
06-06-2006, 01:47 PM

That's not a wall of fame. It's just pictures from Sox history - not a collection of exclusive players. For all I know, Jose Valentin is in one of those photos.

Thome25
06-06-2006, 01:56 PM
That's not a wall of fame. It's just pictures from Sox history - not a collection of exclusive players. For all I know, Jose Valentin is in one of those photos.

I honestly think there should be some kind of exclusive wall of fame for guys like Robin, Black Jack, Thigpen, Melton, Dick Allen, and guys like that who were White Sox greats but don't warrant getting their numbers retired or a statue.

Anyone agree/disagree?!

Hitmen77
06-06-2006, 01:57 PM

I like the idea of a "wall of fame" for Sox players who were great, but not quite "retired number" great. I could see the following players on this list:

Robin Ventura, Bill Melton, Dick Allen, Wilbur Wood, Bobby Thigpen, Chico Carrasquel, Joe Horlen, Al Lopez (manager).

Any other nominees?

What about players who played before there were numbers on jerseys? Ray Schalk, Eddie Collins, Ed Walsh, Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Thome25
06-06-2006, 02:03 PM
I like the idea of a "wall of fame" for Sox players who were great, but not quite "retired number" great. I could see the following players on this list:

Robin Ventura, Bill Melton, Dick Allen, Wilbur Wood, Bobby Thigpen, Chico Carrasquel, Joe Horlen, Al Lopez (manager).

Any other nominees?

What about players who played before there were numbers on jerseys? Ray Schalk, Eddie Collins, Ed Walsh, Shoeless Joe Jackson.

I REALLY like the idea of the wall of fame players being ones that played before there were even numbers on the jerseys

if anyone out there agrees with this idea; Any ideas on where in the park we would put it?!

Also, who has Brooks' email address and talks to hm fairly frequently?!

Hitmen77
06-06-2006, 02:05 PM
I honestly think there should be some kind of exclusive wall of fame for guys like Robin, Black Jack, Thigpen, Melton, Dick Allen, and guys like that who were White Sox greats but don't warrant getting their numbers retired or a statue.

Anyone agree/disagree?!

Black Jack McDowell would be a good addition too.

Thome25
06-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Besides the wall of fame maybe we could start naming part of the park after former players.

Example: I'm not sure where Ventura hit a majotity of his grand slams but, if just for example he hit most of them in the left field bleachers we could name the left field bleachers the "Ventura bleachers". They do that in racing. At alot of the racetracks certain seating sections are named after racing greats. What do you guys think of that?!

Imagine the call by Hawk: "And Konerko Hits one high and deep that lands 10 rows deep in the Ventura bleachers" You can put it on the board YEEESSSS!!!

D. TODD
06-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Robin was a damn good ballplayer, but nowhere near worthy of having his number retired!

Thomes Forearm
06-06-2006, 02:31 PM
What do you guys think of that?!

i think that your overuse of the "?!" punctuation is annoying.

other than that, they named all the concessions after former players/managers. but how far do you take it? The Walsh Walkway? the Crazy Carl Concourse? instead of calling the restrooms "mens" and "womens", we could just start referring to them as the "Rooney" and the "Faust"

ill be in the Rooney if you need me

TornLabrum
06-06-2006, 03:48 PM
i think that your overuse of the "?!" punctuation is annoying.

I find your inability to use the shift key to start sentences equally annoying.

miker
06-06-2006, 03:54 PM
On the same note, unretire the 42.
Yeah, Jackie Robinson made absolutely NO contributions to baseball...:rolleyes: