PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Score

TheKittle
06-05-2006, 04:32 AM
Who keeps score at the game? Why or why not?

I don't keep score because I just never got into the habit of keeping score. I know how to keep score but never do. Plus not having a scoreboad in my hand prevents me from throwing it, when my team plays badly or the umpires makes a bad call.

HotelWhiteSox
06-05-2006, 04:42 AM
There would be too much I would miss (even one play) and it would drive me nuts, especially when it's because when 20 vendors decide when the pitch is being thrown is the right time to pass.

I love keeping score though (was taught in middle school in a class where teachers got to teach anything they wanted), rarely do it though.If I know I'll have nothing to do and will be alone, I'll probably do it

SoxFan76
06-05-2006, 09:03 AM
If I was alone in the upper deck with about 18,000 fans I probably would.

Otherwise it seems like too much of a distraction in a park with enough of them already. (Standing up in the middle of innings, the wave, vendors, not a lot of room to move with 32,000+ in the park every night.)

itsnotrequired
06-05-2006, 09:12 AM
I score most of the home games. I sit in the front of the upper deck so keeping score isn't too hard. In fact, I do pitch-by-pitch most of the time. I'll miss some here or there and I just fill in the holes when I get home.

tebman
06-05-2006, 10:07 AM
I've always kept score. I like to be able to look at previous innings to see what the batter did his last at-bat, when the reliever came in, etc. I just note the plays and runner positions and not other details like pitch count or high-fly vs. line drive. I was in an APBA league for almost 20 years and got into such a habit of scorekeeping that I feel like I've forgotten my wallet if I don't have a scorecard in my hands.

If I had any sense I would have organized them over the years, but old scorecards fill up a box with other ballpark flotsam and jetsam in my basement. It's fun to come across one from an old game and remember what happened.

patbooyah
06-05-2006, 10:26 AM
I score most of the home games. I sit in the front of the upper deck so keeping score isn't too hard. In fact, I do pitch-by-pitch most of the time. I'll miss some here or there and I just fill in the holes when I get home.

well, if you weren't keeping score i bet the totals in your concession tracker would at least triple. i think it's time you hunker down and try to average at least 4 hot dogs a game.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-05-2006, 10:27 AM
I have tried to always keep score since I was a kid. I still kick myself for coming late and not keeping score on 7/1/90 when Andy Hawkins no hit the White Sox (yet the White Sox won 4-0) and have rarely missed keeping score since.

My Playoff / World Series scorecards are awesome souvenirs. :cool:

TornLabrum
06-05-2006, 10:54 AM
I've always kept score, since the first game I ever went to. Somewhere along the way I learned the numbers of each position and how to score hits, advancing runners, etc.

I keep score, including balls and strikes, every game unless I arrive late (which only happens when I go to a game with my son after he gets off work). I don't miss anything when I'm at the game by myself, and I rarely miss anything when I'm there with people I know.

whitesoxwilkes
06-05-2006, 11:02 AM
I started at 14 when my grandfather taught me how to do it. I've done it at every game since except for a couple where I was entertaining clients in a skybox....that's about 400 major league games.

Scorecards make great souvenirs. I use a book for all Sox regular season games except the opener when I buy a card. I have cards from each of the 23 ML parks I've been to.

Baby Fisk
06-05-2006, 11:08 AM
I never learned how to properly keep score, so I devised my own method. I use it to keep score for games that I write the TBGRs for.

Backwards K? :?:

SOXPHILE
06-05-2006, 11:24 AM
I have kept score, and sometimes still do, but mostly I don't. I like to just watch the game and enjoy myself. Most of the time I just like to soak in all the sights, sounds and smells of the game without worrying about making sure I scored a play correctly in the book. Plus, sometimes you may have to get up to use the restroom, or get some concesions, and may miss a couple of plays. Then, I have to go back and make sure I fill everything in properly.

MarySwiss
06-05-2006, 11:25 AM
At home, I always score the games that I am writing TBGRs for. That way I don't have to rely on my memory or on info from ESPN. At games, however, I prefer to not bother.

TornLabrum
06-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Backwards K? :?:
So save at Nicki Chevrolet!
Nicki with the backwards K.
(You get those green stamps)
At Nicki, Nicki Chevrolet!

I forgot how to spell the name (Nikki?), but I hope that helps. :redneck

Either that or struck out looking.

pdimas
06-05-2006, 11:29 AM
I keep score occasionally. It depends on what mood i'm in.

There used to be this older gentleman in front of me who would keep score and whenever he would go to the concession stand or bathroom would hand his scorecard over to me.

This year I have only kept score at 2 games both of them within the last week. The last one being the Reds/Cubs game this past Wednesday at Wrigley while wearing my Michael Barrett jersey :angry: (i lost a bet to my gf). I figured it was the only way to keep me entertained throughout the game. I got to see a Griffey homer which was pretty cool.

TornLabrum
06-05-2006, 11:30 AM
I have kept score, and sometimes still do, but mostly I don't. I like to just watch the game and enjoy myself. Most of the time I just like to soak in all the sights, sounds and smells of the game without worrying about making sure I scored a play correctly in the book. Plus, sometimes you may have to get up to use the restroom, or get some concesions, and may miss a couple of plays. Then, I have to go back and make sure I fill everything in properly.

I don't drink much at a game, so I make sure I use the rest room within a half hour of the first pitch.

1951Campbell
06-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Who keeps score at the game? Why or why not?

I do not. To do it properly--and I'm the kind of person who would probably be really anal and balance my box scores at the end--you basically have to swear off eating and going to the bathroom for 3+ hours. Not gonna happen.

whitesoxwilkes
06-05-2006, 12:36 PM
I do not. To do it properly--and I'm the kind of person who would probably be really anal and balance my box scores at the end--you basically have to swear off eating and going to the bathroom for 3+ hours. Not gonna happen.

I can juggle a beer, a polish and a scorebook. It's not hard once you get used to it.

If I have to hit the bathroom, I either pass it over to the wife or a trusted fellow scorekeeper in my section.

Baby Fisk
06-05-2006, 12:38 PM
One thing I like about keeping score is how it focuses the mind. When not keeping score, I'll look up and suddenly two innings have gone by. :?:

Chez
06-05-2006, 12:39 PM
I've kept score at every game I've ever attended and saved each scorecard/program since about 1970. And yes, I'm insane. With the internet, it's not as big a deal to miss a batter or two if you need to grab a hot dog or use the men's room -- you can always look at Gamecast to fill in any blanks. My friends and family laugh at me -- but it's part of the ritual of going to a game passed down to me by my grandfather. I've got some great "scoring" stories that only a scorecard zealot would appreciate (e.g. the day the scorecard vendors were selling scorecards with the Rangers roster printed inside -- Sox were playing the Angels that day). It's a sickness.

1951Campbell
06-05-2006, 12:40 PM
I can juggle a beer, a polish and a scorebook. It's not hard once you get used to it.

You are a better man than I, sir!

ChiSoxGirl
06-05-2006, 12:53 PM
If I have to hit the bathroom, I either pass it over to the wife or a trusted fellow scorekeeper in my section.

Thanks. This fellow trusted scorekeeper saw your wife yesterday. Where were you?

whitesoxwilkes
06-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks. This fellow trusted scorekeeper saw your wife yesterday. Where were you?

On the golf course. I play every Sunday and the return of the 1:05 starts really screws things up.

Blob
06-05-2006, 01:21 PM
I keep score at most games. When Zach23 goes with me, we keep pitch count too.

nug0hs
06-05-2006, 01:23 PM
/me has noticed that the older crowd tends to keep score more often

HotelWhiteSox
06-05-2006, 01:32 PM

See, someone else writing in my scorebook would be a big no no for me. That's probably why I don't do it more often, too anal about it

pdimas
06-05-2006, 01:40 PM
/me has noticed that the older crowd tends to keep score more often

I agree you should see the props my little sister gets when she keeps score. First of all she a pretty girl and secondly shes 24. Guys around her just stare in amazement when she keeps score. Based solely on this she has gotten a few marriage proposals at ball games.

She is pretty sports savvy. It always amused me to no end when her and a bf would go to a hockey game and she would have to explain rules like icing to them.

Brian26
06-05-2006, 01:42 PM
I've kept score at every game I've ever attended and saved each scorecard/program since about 1970. And yes, I'm insane. With the internet, it's not as big a deal to miss a batter or two if you need to grab a hot dog or use the men's room -- you can always look at Gamecast to fill in any blanks. My friends and family laugh at me -- but it's part of the ritual of going to a game passed down to me by my grandfather. I've got some great "scoring" stories that only a scorecard zealot would appreciate (e.g. the day the scorecard vendors were selling scorecards with the Rangers roster printed inside -- Sox were playing the Angels that day). It's a sickness.

What scorecards do you use? Wilkes and Labrum turned me onto the Scoremaster before the '05 season, and I've scored every game in it since then (actually working on my 2nd book now).

Blob
06-05-2006, 01:50 PM
What scorecards do you use?

I am using Cramers High School Baseball/Softball Score book. We went through about 5-6 of these with 30 games each in them.

After this one I am done with them. They are about $15 each now! Not bad, but they used to only be about $6. Big price jump in the last year.

I am making my own from one I found on the internet.

Chez
06-05-2006, 01:54 PM
What scorecards do you use? Wilkes and Labrum turned me on to the Scoremaster before the '05 season, and I've scored every game in it since then (actually working on my 2nd book now).

I purchase the scorecards they sell at the park. Not the greatest quality, but makes for a good momento.

MeteorsSox4367
06-05-2006, 01:54 PM
I agree with the earlier poster who mentioned something about keeping score at a game helps maintain concentration. I love baseball, I love stats and I've been keeping score ever since I started going to games as a kid.

It's just cool to look back at scorecards I've saved and see that Royle Stillman or Jim Essian or Ricky Seilheimer did this or that against Kansas City or Baltimore.

I can't imagine going to a game and not keeping score, even though some people give me a quizzical look as if they've never seen someone keep score before.

thepaulbowski
06-05-2006, 02:14 PM
For some reason I only find the need to keep score at any park but the Cell. :?: Whenever I go to another ballpark, I keep score.

ChiSoxGirl
06-05-2006, 02:28 PM
I like keeping score so much that I went ahead & bought a scorebook. $1 each time at the ballpark when you go to 15-20 games was just not practical; $5 for a scorebook is much more my style.

I have found that as a girl, keeping score brings a lot of attention/fascination my way. The greatest compliment I ever received due to my scorekeeping was at a game in September 2003 after the Sox were all but mathematically eliminated. I was sitting in the first row of the bleachers and there were four guys to my left. The one nearest to me was talking to his buddies about my very neat & accurate scorekeeping, and leaned over toward me & told me that I'm going to make a lucky guy very happy one day because a woman keeping score is just way too cool. :cool:

itsnotrequired
06-05-2006, 03:06 PM
What scorecards do you use? Wilkes and Labrum turned me onto the Scoremaster before the '05 season, and I've scored every game in it since then (actually working on my 2nd book now).

I use the Project Scoresheet method.

http://dcortesi.home.mindspring.com/scoring/

Anyone else?

itsnotrequired
06-05-2006, 03:09 PM
I have found that as a girl, keeping score brings a lot of attention/fascination my way. The greatest compliment I ever received due to my scorekeeping was at a game in September 2003 after the Sox were all but mathematically eliminated. I was sitting in the first row of the bleachers and there were four guys to my left. The one nearest to me was talking to his buddies about my very neat & accurate scorekeeping, and leaned over toward me & told me that I'm going to make a lucky guy very happy one day because a woman keeping score is just way too cool. :cool:

That's our StatGirl!

[cue image of drunken dude smashing a brat on the ground and licking nacho cheese from his hands]

:tongue:

batmanZoSo
06-05-2006, 03:23 PM
I don't have the attention span or the desire. I like to walk around a lot, drink, smoke and relax. I rarely ever sit in my seat for more than a couple innings.

Baby Fisk
06-05-2006, 03:36 PM
I don't have the attention span or the desire. I like to walk around a lot, drink, smoke and relax. I rarely ever sit in my seat for more than a couple innings.
Not to mention fighting crime as the needs arise.

TDog
06-05-2006, 04:30 PM
I used to take my scorebook to Angels games in Anaheim for my annual Sox weekend. (In 1993, I added an Anaheim vacation in September when the Sox played four games during the week on the verge of clinching the West for the first time in 10 years.) I would walk back to the Angel Inn and add up my totals, sometimes in time to see the highlights on the KTLA news. The Sox used to win most of the games they played in Anaheim. I developed a great shorthand, beginning in 1969.

On May 1, 1999, I got a great seat near home plate next to an older woman who had season tickets and brought her granddaughter and one of the girl's friends (it might have been beanie baby day. She was keeping score in a hardcover scorebook, but left in the eighth to take the kids home, sort of apologizing that the Angels were beating my Sox 5-3. I dutifully kept up the scoring though as the Angels brought in Percival for the save.

Norton homered, Jackson singled, Konerko (DHing with a batting average under .200) popped out, Abbott singled, and Chistenson ran for him, pinch-hitting Liefer singled with two strikes to tie it and Durham homered with to make it 8-5. Howry got the vulture win, having come in with 2 out in the 8th.

I don't need the scoresheed to remember that Saturday night, but my notes on the scorecard remind me that Holly Hunter threw out the first pitch. And the images of the night come back to me in crystal detail.

Being a Sox fan, I've scored a lot of games I want to forget, but I stuck with them because in baseball you never know what will happen.

LauraJ14
06-05-2006, 06:22 PM
My sister keeps score at each game. So I get to fill in during bathroom and food breaks. Although she doesn't like my handwriting and that I use "W" for a walk and not "BB".
I only keep score when she is not at the games with me or when I go to Sox road games.

Trav
06-05-2006, 07:08 PM
I usually keep score when I listen to the games on XM. I'm thinking about getting a computer and then the MLB package through the net so I don't know if I will keep it up if I get to watch the games.

I go to a few AAA games when I am in the states and I try to keep score. I'm not as good as when I do the Sox games. Prolly because I usually am listening to the Sox games while at the park.

thomas35forever
06-05-2006, 07:13 PM
I've kept score at every game I've gone to since I was 9. I saw them doing it in little league and I immediately sparked interest. Long story short, I am now on my second scorebook. I should have it filled up at or before the end of the season. I never can leave a game until it's over.

buehrle4cy05
06-05-2006, 07:32 PM
I always keep score. I've tacked about 10 scorecards up to my wall in my room, which include Buehrle's 99-minute game, the Cubs-Sox fight, an 18-inning A's/Twins game from 2004 (all on one scorecard), and a Cubs-Phillies game last year (the one where Rollins stole home to win it). I love doing it, I can't go to a game and not keep score now.

Clembasbal
06-05-2006, 07:43 PM
I score almost every game I go to. I have been to some great games too, I got to see Tony Gwynn's 3000th hit and some other great ones as well.

It is a great way to enjoy the game, talk to the people around you who are keeping score and sometimes you get to teach a kid something new!

soxwon
06-05-2006, 07:59 PM
I first started keeping score at my first game in 1965
Sox-yankees, my father taught me how.
I still keep score at every game i go to
including spring training games.
I usually keep it for the whole game, but at times ill quit
if my card gets screwed up, due to plays missed etc.
I have well over 700 scorecards in my collection.
The oldest one i still have is 1977, i wish i kept
the ones from the 60's.
I do it still, because, since ive been doing it for 40 years, i dont want to stop.
Where these cards will end up, is unknown.
probably get tossed, after i die in another 50 years.
im so avid i even keep score, at home on some game nights.
or at work, and driving home.
Im nuts-but its a good nuts!!!

Brian26
06-05-2006, 09:28 PM
And yes, I'm insane. With the internet, it's not as big a deal to miss a batter or two if you need to grab a hot dog or use the men's room -- you can always look at Gamecast to fill in any blanks.

I always print out the MLB/Gameday box score when I come home from the game, and then the next morning or afternoon I total up my scorecard and make sure everything checks.

Here's an interesting situation that came up last week when the A's were in town: Remember the game that Dye and Mackowiak ran into each other in right centerfield and the A's scored a run when Dye dropped the ball? I was totaling my scorecard the next day, and I had an extra at bat for that particular batter. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. It was an error on Dye, so it should have been counted as an at-bat (or so I thought). After checking everything else twice, it was starting to drive me crazy. Then I realized that batter had been credited with a Sac Fly on that play since there was a guy on third, so it's not an official at-bat. The same play without a runner on third, at it's an official at-bat with the batter getting to first on E-9. Instead, he gets to first on E-9 and is credited with a Sac Fly.

Blob
06-05-2006, 09:32 PM
I use the Project Scoresheet method.

http://dcortesi.home.mindspring.com/scoring/

Anyone else?

Ummmm, I just draw lines and diamonds. :D:

My head hurts after that...

Frankfan4life
06-05-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm another female who keeps score (unfortunately I haven't gotten any marriage proposals because of it :(:). Probably because I'm middle-aged.

I still have scorecards from my misguided years as a cubsfan (circa 1967-1973). I have my own system for keeping score and I don't panic if I miss an inning or a play. I fill in what I can. The scorecard is for my own reference and it's my souvenir of the game. I also collect the game tickets too.

I wish the Sox hadn't changed the scorecard a few years ago. I liked the old format better.

HotelWhiteSox
06-06-2006, 02:12 AM
I have some book from Sportsmart, I really like the format, gives me a lot of space, much better than what I used to use.

I'm another female who keeps score (unfortunately I haven't gotten any marriage proposals because of it :(:). Probably because I'm middle-aged.

Hi, my name's Mike :redface:

VenturaSoxFan23
06-07-2006, 02:02 PM
I've missed keeping score for one game, and that was at my brother's bachelor party there. When the game's dragging through those middle innings when nothing of record happens, it gets rather dull, I have to admit. Keeping score keeps me involved in the game.

I score the game, then pick up the next day's Sun-Times to get the story & complete box score.

Keeping score comes in handy when going through those middle innings when the scoreboard doesn't keep track of what player did what in his previous couple of at-bats.

My mom taught me how to keep score. She was unofficial scorekeeper in a few of our softball leagues, so I learned from the best.

I just wish the scorecards would give you a few extra spaces in the off-chance it goes extra innings. I went to a Cubs-Rockies DH where both games had a total of almost 3 hours of rain delays. The first game went 9, the second went 15. Started at Noon and didn't end until after 9pm.

McCuddy
06-07-2006, 03:37 PM
I was taught by my mother how to fill out the scorecard. I am not sure where she learned it, because I'm told the way I do it is "different." But it's the way I've done it every game I've attended since I was 10.

Doesn't matter what level, either - I'll sit at the minor league games and keep 'em, too. You never know when one of those names will come back around.

Chez
06-07-2006, 04:29 PM
I scotch tape my ticket stub and the box score from the newspaper to the inside of each scorecard.