PDA

View Full Version : Jon Garland

getonbckthr
06-05-2006, 12:05 AM
Everyone mentions his no trade clause. Now i'm not saying I want to trade Jon, or that the Sox should, but can't he waive the clause if they presented him with an offer? I am assuming he wanted the clause to prevent being dealt to a team like Tampa or Baltimore.

depy48
06-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Everyone mentions his no trade clause. Now i'm not saying I want to trade Jon, or that the Sox should, but can't he waive the clause if they presented him with an offer? I am assuming he wanted the clause to prevent being dealt to a team like Tampa or Baltimore.
I'm assuming he signed a contract with the Sox so he can pitch in Chicago. I don't think he wants to go anywhere, and I don't want him to go anywhere.

TheKittle
06-05-2006, 01:04 AM

No trade clauses are almost meaningless. Usually the player will accept more money or an additional year added to his contract, in order to waive his no trade clause.

Players who waived their no trade clause.

Gary Sheffield-Marlins to the Dodgers
Eric Karros-Dodgers to that other team in Chicago.

Also does he have a full no trade clause or does he have a list of teams that he can't be traded to?

Phil Nevin vetoed a trade to Cinncy and Baltimore, since they were on his no trade list. But the Rangers weren't on the list and he was traded.

ilsox7
06-05-2006, 01:07 AM
No trade clauses are almost meaningless. Usually the player will accept more money or an additional year added to his contract, in order to waive his no trade clause.

Players who waived their no trade clause.

Gary Sheffield-Marlins to the Dodgers
Eric Karros-Dodgers to that other team in Chicago.

Also does he have a full no trade clause or does he have a list of teams that he can't be traded to?

Phil Nevin vetoed a trade to Cinncy and Baltimore, since they were on his no trade list. But the Rangers weren't on the list and he was traded.

There aren't many (or any) players who bargained for a NTC and then literally a few months later waive it.

HotelWhiteSox
06-05-2006, 01:23 AM
I would have to consider the options/situation for me. I would want it to not be sent to some bottom feeder, but also would feel awkward with the situation and staying or feeling unwanted. Situation, family, other team's location, everything would have to be a factor for me, and the NTC would give me options.

As for Jon, I would think there would be times he would waive it. Like a west coast team, I don't think he'd have issues going to the Angels.

JB98
06-05-2006, 01:27 AM
Why would KW consider trading Garland or any of the pitchers currently on the big-league roster? If anything, we need to add pitching, not subtract it.

TheKittle
06-05-2006, 01:40 AM
There aren't many (or any) players who bargained for a NTC and then literally a few months later waive it.

Umm I was answering the original question about whether or not a NTC can be waived. Where did I saw Garland would need to waive his NTC?

ilsox7
06-05-2006, 02:07 AM
Umm I was answering the original question about whether or not a NTC can be waived. Where did I saw Garland would need to waive his NTC?

You said they were almost meaningless. I was just pointing out the fact that they are not meaningless. Many trades have been blocked by guys with NTC and the fact that Jon just signed this deal a few months ago makes it less likely he will up and waive something he bargained for.