PDA

View Full Version : possible trade?

Qdaddy
06-04-2006, 07:30 PM
I know there has been a lot of talk of trading for ex-Cub Corey Patterson, but having watched Gary Matthews Jr. this weekend I think he's the ex-Cub we should really be going after. He's a switch-hitter, above average arm, and I don't think it would take a whole lot to get him. Anyone know or think he would be available?

Maybe put a big package together and get him and Akinori Otsuka or Cordero.

Just a thought....what do you guys think?

Later,

"Q"

FedEx227
06-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Texas is 3.5 games up in their division. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to start trading guys.

Scottiehaswheels
06-04-2006, 07:35 PM
That might be tough as right now I'd consider our tradable pieces to be Nelson(DL), Politte, and Gload.... Gload being the centerpiece of any potential trade.... Texas def doesn't need a 1B with Teixera... Right now I'd look at teams in dire need of a decent 1B.... Cards/Cubs spring to mind...

ilsox7
06-04-2006, 07:38 PM
That might be tough as right now I'd consider our tradable pieces to be Nelson(DL), Politte, and Gload.... Gload being the centerpiece of any potential trade.... Texas def doesn't need a 1B with Teixera... Right now I'd look at teams in dire need of a decent 1B.... Cards/Cubs spring to mind...

The center piece of any trade the Sox will make is going to be prospects.

beckett21
06-04-2006, 07:39 PM

No offense, but I don't see any of those three guys as 'tradeable'.

I'm assuming you mean that they are expendable, which I agree with. I can't imagine any team this side of AAA has any interest in any of those guys. If so, Kenny's even better than I thought. :D:

beckett21
06-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Texas is 3.5 games up in their division. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to start trading guys.

That too.

I'm all for Carl Crawford, if indeed he's on the block. The bullpen is a far more pressing issue though.

Scottiehaswheels
06-04-2006, 07:44 PM

I'm assuming you mean that they are expendable, which I agree with. I can't imagine any team this side of AAA has any interest in any of those guys. If so, Kenny's even better than I thought. :D:Well... when you think about Gload, like everyone says he could be an everyday starter for another team if necessary... his problem with us is being stuck behind a premier power hitter in the depth chart.... Gload would draw far more interest from teams than we realize I believe, only because he's stuck on the bench for us... think about it... Cards right now are using Jim Edmonds for 1B, Cubs traded for friggin Phil Nevin.... Gload isn't a power hitter sure but with steady playing time he'd be a good everyday player with a lefty bat... not a whole lot of decent lefty 1B out there...

FedEx227
06-04-2006, 07:44 PM
That too.

I'm all for Carl Crawford, if indeed he's on the block. The bullpen is a far more pressing issue though.

Makes me really wish the D-Rays didn't trade away Baez and Lance Carter last year. A deal for Crawford/Baez would be great right now.

beckett21
06-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Well... when you think about Gload, like everyone says he could be an everyday starter for another team if necessary... his problem with us is being stuck behind a premier power hitter in the depth chart.... Gload would draw far more interest from teams than we realize I believe, only because he's stuck on the bench for us... think about it... Cards right now are using Jim Edmonds for 1B, Cubs traded for friggin Phil Nevin.... Gload isn't a power hitter sure but with steady playing time he'd be a good everyday player with a lefty bat... not a whole lot of decent lefty 1B out there...

I'd love nothing more than for you to be right, believe me. I just don't see much of a sellers market for a career minor leaguer. If he was good enough to be starting somewhere else, he probably would have been by now.

I don't forsee him bringing a whole lot in return, but who knows. Sometimes the under-the-radar moves turn out to be the best ones.

Domeshot17
06-04-2006, 09:17 PM
I love Ross Gload, I think he has a great Glove at first and in a given season could hit 290-10-60. Great Backup and probably a better corner OF then Pablo. That being said, hes a poor mans kevin millar, and the O's cant get ANYONE to pick up millar.

Scottiehaswheels
06-04-2006, 09:22 PM
I love Ross Gload, I think he has a great Glove at first and in a given season could hit 290-10-60. Great Backup and probably a better corner OF then Pablo. That being said, hes a poor mans kevin millar, and the O's cant get ANYONE to pick up millar.True... but the difference in price between the 2 is almost 2 mil a year...

kittle42
06-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Well... when you think about Gload, like everyone says he could be an everyday starter for another team if necessary... his problem with us is being stuck behind a premier power hitter in the depth chart.... Gload would draw far more interest from teams than we realize I believe, only because he's stuck on the bench for us... think about it... Cards right now are using Jim Edmonds for 1B, Cubs traded for friggin Phil Nevin.... Gload isn't a power hitter sure but with steady playing time he'd be a good everyday player with a lefty bat... not a whole lot of decent lefty 1B out there...

Phil Nevin and Jim Edmonds are superior players to Ross Gload. In fact, so are most of the guys making the league minimum in Miami.

You couldn't trade Ross Gload for a bag of balls.

And thanks to the original poster...every year, hypothetical trade threads can always bring a smile to my face.

Ol' No. 2
06-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Phil Nevin and Jim Edmonds are superior players to Ross Gload. In fact, so are most of the guys making the league minimum in Miami.

You couldn't trade Ross Gload for a bag of balls.

And thanks to the original poster...every year, hypothetical trade threads can always bring a smile to my face.Ross Gload is the archetypal AAAA player. The only way to trade him is as part of a package to a team that's parting with a 1B in a salary dump and needs someone to play 1B for the rest of the season.

oeo
06-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Politte, Gload, and Nelson combined, MAY get us a bucket of balls. And we would come out like bandits.

kittle42
06-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Ross Gload is the archetypal AAAA player. The only way to trade him is as part of a package to a team that's parting with a 1B in a salary dump and needs someone to play 1B for the rest of the season.

That's no way to talk about the centerpiece of any potential trade!

I can't wait for the annual "let's package our crap for a top 10 player."

Hmm, would the Cardinals take Politte, Gload, Nelson, and Boone Logan for Pujols?

PalehosePlanet
06-04-2006, 10:15 PM
That's no way to talk about the centerpiece of any potential trade!

Hmm, would the Cardinals take Politte, Gload, Nelson, and Boone Logan for Pujols?

No kidding it reminds of the mid 90's when Cubs fans would call in to the SCORE and say they should trade Ozzie Timmons and Scott Bullitt for Robin Ventura. Classic booshizitty.

At this point we'd have a better chance of breaking Ugey Urbina out of jail in Venezuela and sneak him into the country than get value for the aforementioned.

Chisox003
06-04-2006, 10:19 PM

:kneeslap:

AKA the "PS2" trades?

Wait, what was it last year....

Timo, Willie, Rogowski, Sweeney, Everett, and Joey Cora for Griffey?

WSI never dissapoints.

TheVulture
06-07-2006, 02:02 PM

I'm assuming you mean that they are expendable, which I agree with. I can't imagine any team this side of AAA has any interest in any of those guys. If so, Kenny's even better than I thought. :D:

I never thought KW would be able to trade a 28 year old minor league reliever for Alex Cintron, either. KW, you are the man!

caulfield12
06-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Look where the White Sox payroll is....the DBacks didn't want to pay Cintron starter money (or anywhere close), so they knew they should dump him and try to get something in return.

Now, believe me, he's a VERY good bench player to have, but one that only about 8 teams or so could afford in all of MLB.

Sometimes trades are more about the money than the pure talent dealt, as nobody would ever expect Bajenaru to have the same impact as Cintron.