PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Jr?

jabrch
06-04-2006, 05:56 PM
I wonder what it would take to get Ken Griffey Jr from the Reds?

rocky biddle
06-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Really? Again?

Brian26
06-04-2006, 06:02 PM
No. Please, no.

Chips
06-04-2006, 06:03 PM
Hey Dude, What's the Score?

SOXintheBURGH
06-04-2006, 06:03 PM
No.. please. Not this again.

The Racehorse
06-04-2006, 06:11 PM
... only if he can pitch effectively out of the bull pen...

munchman33
06-04-2006, 06:14 PM
You guys are nuts.

I'll take Griffey, if the Reds are willing to pay a ton of his salary.

Not to mention, it takes away the best available outfielder from the Yankees.

Dan Mega
06-04-2006, 07:10 PM
I wouldn't mind Griffey Jr sitting on the Sox bench if the Reds were paying 75% of his salary.

HomeFish
06-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Whoa its like its the summer of 2005 all over again. Except the Sox aren't playing well.

A. Cavatica
06-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Well, the Sox were just getting into their post-ASB swoon when the Griffey rumors really heated up. Thomas is hurt again...gotta get a big bat to replace him. Remember?

The Reds are 32-24, Griffey's not going anywhere.

CLR01
06-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Whoa its like its the summer of 2005 all over again. Except the Sox aren't playing well.

Actually quite a bit of the Griffey talk last year was fueled by the Sox "slumping"

The Wimperoo
06-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Griffey is probably as bad as Mack, if not worse in CF nowadays.

oeo
06-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Last year Griffey would have been a DH. This year he would have to play center, and he's not the answer in CF...unless you want your centerfielder out for the rest of the year and we're stuck right where we were at before with less prospects. I'll take my chances with Brian.

Not only that, but some people thought that we needed Griffey if we wanted to go anywhere in the playoffs. Look what happened. All this team needs is 1 or 2 good bullpen arms, everything else is fine.

FedEx227
06-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Well, the Sox were just getting into their post-ASB swoon when the Griffey rumors really heated up. Thomas is hurt again...gotta get a big bat to replace him. Remember?

The Reds are 32-24, Griffey's not going anywhere.

No way, they've said that they are actively shopping him around.

Cincy is worried more about the future, they know they aren't World Series bound this season, so why not trade a veteran and collect some good young starting pitching and try and build a contender.

1951Campbell
06-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Oy vey.

I think I snapped a hammy just reading this thread.

Chisox003
06-04-2006, 08:49 PM
:nuts:

santo=dorf
06-04-2006, 09:38 PM
What was the trade last year? Rogowski (blocked by Thome and Konerko,) Chris Young (Brian Anderson,) and another pitching prospect (Haeger) for Griffey and cash?

I do it now.

DickAllen72
06-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Griffey is probably as bad as Mack, if not worse in CF nowadays.

From the little that I saw him last week, I agree.

thomas35forever
06-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Is Mariotti feeding you this crap? We can't afford another Jeff Nelson disaster.

RKMeibalane
06-04-2006, 09:46 PM

Oh, for the love of gawd...

ilsox7
06-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Is Mariotti feeding you this crap? We can't afford another Jeff Nelson disaster.

:?:

Picking up Nelson for nothing and seeing if he had anything left in his tank was a smart move by KW. There really was no risk associated with it. OTOH, trading half of the farm system away for a guy who is probably average at best in CF is very risky. These moves are (would be) dissimilar.

Domeshot17
06-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Maybe he is what we need. Our pitching is showing it as thin as teams like the yankees, so if we are going to give up 7 runs a game, I guess we have to score 8. (And honestly Im not sure if this should be in teal or not).

Starting pitching i think will be fine, but this bullpen is HORRID. Politte has let age hit him, and Ozzie is so sure he can get the old cliffy out there.

I think we need to go out and get a back up OF. Mackowiak isnt the Answer in CF, and if we could get a good back up OF, Mack could play LF and RF, Ozuna can do far less damage in the IF (when a ball gets by you at 3b, the LF can get it, when you are the LF, things get very bad). Its a shame that the trade market wont open up for a good 4 weeks, because this is the toughest gap in our schedule this year IMHO. God Bless the Tigers playin like garbage.

chisoxmike
06-04-2006, 11:24 PM
You guys are nuts.

I'll take Griffey, if the Reds are willing to pay a ton of his salary.

Not to mention, it takes away the best available outfielder from the Yankees.

We have a CF. His name is Brian Anderson.

We need a bullpen...now.

SoxFan76
06-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Oh, for the love of gawd...

hey, some of Homefish's posts make me :rolleyes:, but they are playing like crap right now. He's right.

The Dude
06-05-2006, 12:05 AM
surprised this wasnt said

:hawk

"where is he gonna play?????"

Jjav829
06-05-2006, 12:07 AM

:yup::bandance:

Chips
06-05-2006, 12:12 AM

We need a bullpen...now.

Amen.

munchman33
06-05-2006, 12:33 AM

It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that he's not ready yet. And I don't even mean just at the plate. Did you see the way he ran in front of Ozuna instead of backing him up today, costing us a run? The kid's obviously not even close to ready for the show.

It's fine to break someone in out there with a brutal season when you're winning handily or losing terribley, but we haven't been doing much winning lately, and we expect winning. And with a big series against a team we're chasing coming up, now's the time to get something done, especially with the day off tomorrow.

edit: i just want to say right now that I would prefer the Carl Crawford option to Griffey, even if it costs McCarthy.

munchman33
06-05-2006, 12:35 AM
hey, some of Homefish's posts make me :rolleyes:, but they are playing like crap right now. He's right.

Agreed. I'm usually up in arms with Homefish's antics, but the way we've been playing lately has given me a really bad feeling....

SOXfnNlansing
06-05-2006, 12:40 AM
surprised this wasnt said

"where is he gonna play?????" you forgot the teal :)

jabrch
06-05-2006, 01:36 AM
Agreed. I'm usually up in arms with Homefish's antics, but the way we've been playing lately has given me a really bad feeling....

He's been spitting up the same sillyness for so long that he was due to sound intelligent. Sorry - I'm not buying it. Homefish is as Homefish does.

StockdaleForVeep
06-05-2006, 03:49 AM

:hawk;
"Where's he gonna play!?"

miker
06-05-2006, 10:32 AM

"where is he gonna play?????"
Junior's most prominent position the last five years has been DL! Don't worry, he's not going anywhere except Cincy.

Frater Perdurabo
06-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Isn't it a bannable offense to bring back old threads?
:tongue:

sullythered
06-05-2006, 03:25 PM
It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that he's not ready yet. And I don't even mean just at the plate. Did you see the way he ran in front of Ozuna instead of backing him up today, costing us a run? The kid's obviously not even close to ready for the show.

edit: i just want to say right now that I would prefer the Carl Crawford option to Griffey, even if it costs McCarthy.
Yikes. He's literally made one bad mistake in the field this season. If Brian Anderson was hitting, he'd be in the running for the gold glove. It is simply ignorant of the situation to say he's been poor defensively. I won't argue his bat, it's been awful, and I won't even mention the "lines he takes to the ball." He is simply a very, very good center fielder. Anyone with eyes and the most rudimentary knowledge of the game can see that.

Also, Carl Crawford is good, but not worth a young stud starting pitcher. Plus Tampa is LEGENDARY for over-valuing their own talent. Simply. Won't. Happen.

Btw, I'm not even saying we shouldn't look at other options besides BA, because I think we should. He is clearly not ready for Major League pitching. His glove is more than OK, though. Our options must be viable ones, not pipe dreams.

skottyj242
06-05-2006, 03:42 PM
I heard the Reds are interested in Jon Garland.

FedEx227
06-05-2006, 04:06 PM
That'd be perfect, he'd gladly accept a role on the Cincinnati Reds!

spiffie
06-05-2006, 04:11 PM
This is just a bad idea. We already have a CF in Anderson who has a better glove than Griffey, and if last year taught us anything it should be that it doesn't matter how good you hit, if you can't field well you are just not going to help your team to a World Series. Plus, pulling the plug on Brian could mean pulling the plug on the next Griffey. His ceiling could be that high if we accept that he's going be a slow starter in his career. Let's not stunt a superstar-in-training's growth simply to try and add a little more offense and a lot less defense. Kenny Williams and Ozzie saw something in Anderson that made them feel safe with him as the CF this year, and I think to not let them have the whole year to see it through would be disrespectful to the vision of these two men who brought us a World Series last year.

munchman33
06-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Yikes. He's literally made one bad mistake in the field this season. If Brian Anderson was hitting, he'd be in the running for the gold glove. It is simply ignorant of the situation to say he's been poor defensively. I won't argue his bat, it's been awful, and I won't even mention the "lines he takes to the ball." He is simply a very, very good center fielder. Anyone with eyes and the most rudimentary knowledge of the game can see that.

Also, Carl Crawford is good, but not worth a young stud starting pitcher. Plus Tampa is LEGENDARY for over-valuing their own talent. Simply. Won't. Happen.

Btw, I'm not even saying we shouldn't look at other options besides BA, because I think we should. He is clearly not ready for Major League pitching. His glove is more than OK, though. Our options must be viable ones, not pipe dreams.

Brian has a lot of ability out there in center. But he also has a lot to learn, as evidenced yesterday. If he backs up Ozuna on that play, it completely changes the dynamics of that ballgame. We can't afford rookie mistakes like that. Especially when we've been slumping. It propogates more bad play.

ChiSoxIn06
06-05-2006, 06:40 PM
i would trade mccarthy for crawford in a heartbeat...we have plenty of young arms in the minors that are going to be solid big leaguers plus we have all 5 starters locked up so why not deal brandon while his stock is high.

QCIASOXFAN
06-05-2006, 07:52 PM
i would trade mccarthy for crawford in a heartbeat...we have plenty of young arms in the minors that are going to be solid big leaguers plus we have all 5 starters locked up so why not deal brandon while his stock is high. I'm not to sure but I think we would have to give more than Brandon to get Crawford. It would be cool if we could though Crawfords a badass!

sullythered
06-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Brian has a lot of ability out there in center. But he also has a lot to learn, as evidenced yesterday. If he backs up Ozuna on that play, it completely changes the dynamics of that ballgame. We can't afford rookie mistakes like that. Especially when we've been slumping. It propogates more bad play.
I'm with you on that, and it did shift the whole ballgame. And, in truth, it makes me a little concerned he's carrying his batting woes out in the field with him. That is also a legit possibility to worry about. I only contend that that is the more likely situation, as BA is, and has been, nothing short of stellar in the field until that point.

Like I said, I do think we may have to pursue a change. But because of the bat, not the glove.

gosox41
06-05-2006, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't mind Griffey Jr sitting on the Sox bench if the Reds were paying 75% of his salary.

Don't you mean "Sitting on the Disabled List?'

Bob

Domeshot17
06-05-2006, 10:38 PM
In BA's defense, is ozzie wasnt playing a sup par IF in the OF, that ball is caught, Ozuna needs to learn to slide catch to stay under and infront of the ball and not just that half moronic jump forward belly flop dive.

Ol' No. 2
06-05-2006, 11:06 PM
In BA's defense, is ozzie wasnt playing a sup par IF in the OF, that ball is caught, Ozuna needs to learn to slide catch to stay under and infront of the ball and not just that half moronic jump forward belly flop dive.That's still no defense for Anderson not backing up. Jeez, the FOBA are working overtime today.

Jjav829
06-05-2006, 11:08 PM
I just want to say that Griffey just hit a 3-run HR in the top of the 9th off Isringhausen to give the Reds a 1-run lead. :D:

It was his 2nd HR of the night.

munchman33
06-05-2006, 11:58 PM
I just want to say that Griffey just hit a 3-run HR in the top of the 9th off Isringhausen to give the Reds a 1-run lead. :D:

"Where's he gonna play"

Domeshot17
06-06-2006, 12:08 AM
That's still no defense for Anderson not backing up. Jeez, the FOBA are working overtime today.

Should have said that differently, Do I think BA should have backed that up because as all baseball players are taught since they are 7, you cant assume an out? Yes. Do I think Pablo botched another catchable ball, yes. Pablo looks like a little leaguer diving around in the OF and missing balls and not hitting cut off men. Its a joke, what happened to defense?

Frater Perdurabo
06-06-2006, 10:34 AM

Based on Griffey's hitting stats so far this year, I would not be opposed to the Sox trading for him, provided that Sox believe he has completely healed from his injuries and can provide excellent CF defense (perhaps not up to BA standards, but MUST be a decided upgrade over Mackowiak).

Moreoever, why would the Reds part with him? The Reds are breathing down the necks of the Cardinals, who just lost their best hitter. Why should the Reds "mail it in" and trade away a power hitter who is just now heating up when they are within striking distance of the division lead?

As long as the Reds are in the top half of the NL Central, the only way I see this working is if the Sox engineered a three-team deal in which they send prospects to a crappy team, who then sends two missing pieces to Cincinnati, who then sends Griffey to the Sox. The problem is, who is the third team? Very few AL teams would want to help the Sox, and very few NL teams would want to help the Reds. Plus, who among willing trade partners has what the Reds would want in return?