PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Pants Pissers Party Time with the Dark Clouds - Sox lose 10-2

gbergman
06-04-2006, 03:33 PM
ugly ugly ugly. Buerhle and co got knocked around. With no offense to help though we had little chance to win this game anyways

Crede has to be ptc cause he was only thing decent today.

Thome get healthy fast please

Frater Perdurabo
06-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Bad game all the way around. Every team has a clunker every now and then. Let's hope they've got it out of their system and are primed to go on a big, patented eight-game winning streak.

Pasqua's Posers
06-04-2006, 03:35 PM
When does the Politte appreciation thread start? He's done-stick a fork in him...:angry:

WizardsofOzzie
06-04-2006, 03:36 PM
When does the Politte appreciation thread start? He's done-stick a fork in him...:angry:

Already been started.... http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72552

SOXintheBURGH
06-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Ugly.

:(:

Deuce
06-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Terrible... just terrible.

0o0o0
06-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Another day, another pathetic effort...

southsideirish71
06-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Its funny listening to Hawk and DJ go over and over about how to attack this pitcher is to take the ball the other way. Yet we watch over and over as our hitters keep pulling the ball. How can our announcers have an idea of how to attack a particular pitcher yet our team seems unable to respond.

Ground ball to 3rd, ground ball to SS, ground ball to SS

Meanwhile people seem to attack Buerhle that way. Maybe our team should read a scouting report. It might actually work.

Screw that, keep pulling the ball over and over it may work no matter how many pitchers go away.

CynicSox
06-04-2006, 03:42 PM
The Tigers lost....that's good...right? :cower:

stl_sox_fan
06-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Ugh, when will the Ross Gload experiment come to an end? Put Konerko back at first and DH Mad Mack until Thome comes back.
Was just checking, Gload is listed as 6-1. He looks much shorter than Paulie who is listed at 6-2.

DickAllen72
06-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Brian Anderson has to learn how to back up the other fielders.

That first double that Ozuna dove for in the third inning, Anderson did not get far enough behind him, then muffed his bare hand attempt allowing the runner to move into second. Had he ran behind Ozuna like he's supposed to, he fields that ball easier.

The second double of that inning, he didn't even attempt to back up Ozuna. :angry: This after he started running off the field after the second out. Get your head in the game, BA. We can live with him not hitting, but we can't afford to have him costing us runs in the outfield.

He's also got to stop air mailing balls into the plate.

Other than that, the Sox starting pitching is suddenly mediocre, and the bullpen still sucks.

I hope the off day tomorrow helps, and the Sox start playing up to their potential starting Tuesday against the Tigers.

You have to win the games on the field, not on paper.

TDog
06-04-2006, 03:45 PM
And yet, when Garland gives up a couple of runs and still holds a lead, people will scream for him to be banished. People will say it's time to stock making excuses for Garland and it's time to end the Garland experiment.

The fact is, none of our starting pitchers have it going right now. That is the problem. I think they are good enough to do better.

Obviously the Sox are better than this. I just hope the Sox have reached the low point in their season.

DickAllen72
06-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Ugh, when will the Ross Gload experiment come to an end? Put Konerko back at first and DH Mad Mack until Thome comes back.
Was just checking, Gload is listed as 6-1. He looks much shorter than Paulie who is listed at 6-2.

Yeah, it's all Gload's fault.

:rolleyes:

Edward
06-04-2006, 03:46 PM
The first SOX game I get to watch in about 2 weeks (work the night shift) and I had to see this :?: . I don't blame it on Thome's absence, or Buherle for that matter; we're just slumping. Only won 1 game scoring 2 runs this year. Well anyway, you guys ready to welcome the kittens into town? :cool:

DickAllen72
06-04-2006, 03:47 PM
The fact is, none of our starting pitchers have it going right now. That is the problem. I think they are good enough to do better.

Obviously the Sox are better than this. I just hope the Sox have reached the low point in their season.

Amen and Amen.

MarySwiss
06-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Wow! Yes, they are underachieving. Yes, they are way better than they are playing.

But I have no doubt they will be there when push comes to shove. I predict they take at least--at LEAST--two out of three from the Kitties.

cbotnyse
06-04-2006, 03:50 PM
I would just like to say that we are a healthy 12 games over .500 and we are 20-8 at home...many teams would kill for that record at this point and it is early in the season. (althought I think its never too early to address the problems with a team.)

just think how sweet a sweep of the Tigers would be....big series coming up, enjoy the day off and come back next week ready to rock the Tiggers world.

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-04-2006, 03:51 PM
One word: arg

greenpeach
06-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Thank God the Tigers have slowed down a bit due to entering the more difficult part of the schedule. Middle relief is definately the Achille's Heel of our defending champs. I'm sure Kenny has something up his sleeve. You can't expect the starters to throw 7 or 8 solid innings every game. It's just unrealistic, especially in a hitter's friendly environment like the Cell.

StockdaleForVeep
06-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Keep The Faith

stl_sox_fan
06-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Garcia vs. Roberston, Contreras vs. Verlander and Garland v. Kenny Roger's Chicken. Should be an interesting series.

Dan Mega
06-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Hopefully 2 of 3 from the Tiggers.

dickallen15
06-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Thank God the Tigers have slowed down a bit due to entering the more difficult part of the schedule. Middle relief is definately the Achille's Heel of our defending champs. I'm sure Kenny has something up his sleeve. You can't expect the starters to throw 7 or 8 solid innings every game. It's just unrealistic, especially in a hitter's friendly environment like the Cell.

A White Sox starting pitcher hasn't pitched 8 innings in 2 weeks. The White Sox have also entered a tough part of their schedule after playing a schedule of teams with an even lower winning percentage than what the Tigers have faced. If the bullpen isn't addressed, the playoffs are a pipedream. I still think Cleveland is the biggest threat to the Sox in the Central Division.

gobears1987
06-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Yes this sucked, but everyone please stop the dark cloud comments and take prozac. We have an off day tomorrow to regroup. Thome will be back on Tuesday. Let's just sweep the kittens and proceed up to first place.

oeo
06-04-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm looking forward to this Detroit series. Maybe this is what they need. They've got a chance to take back first place by Thursday night. Let's put it together, stop messing around, and start playing the good baseball we all know you can play. Sweep those Tiggers!

Cuck the Fubs
06-04-2006, 04:06 PM
People.............it's only June..........................

Please check back with me in October.

Did ya really expect the Sox to be perfect this season?

They will be just fine...relax

infohawk
06-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Other than that, the Sox starting pitching is suddenly mediocre, and the bullpen still sucks.
No argument about the bullpen, but the starting pitching will come around. I still say that I wouldn't want any other staff over a 162 game grind. The bullpen would be massively upgraded if we had a solid replacement for Politte. We were already way behind today, but he's just killing us. We would have possibly lost last night if that rocket shot with two on in the 8th had not been hit were Jermaine could catch it.

stl_sox_fan
06-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Yes this sucked, but everyone please stop the dark cloud comments and take prozac. We have an off day tomorrow to regroup. Thome will be back on Tuesday. Let's just sweep the kittens and proceed up to first place.

So I take it Thome's groin injury was very minor and not like Pods last year? St Louis has already called off the season with Pujols injury yesterday, I'd hate to see one of the sox big bats out for an extended period of time.

Blueprint1
06-04-2006, 04:13 PM
On paper we were the best team in 2002,2003,2004 lets not add to that. The fact is this team cant, hit, pitch, or play defense right now. How about leaving AJ out of the lineup today. I understand that there is a lefty on the mound but Thome is out of the lineup. We looked really bad today and we have for the last week. If we don't turn this around you can kiss the playoffs goodbye. Politte needs to become the mop up guy for a while. I think the Dark Clouds are the realistic ones right now.

TaylorStSox
06-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Brian Anderson has to learn how to back up the other fielders.

That first double that Ozuna dove for in the third inning, Anderson did not get far enough behind him, then muffed his bare hand attempt allowing the runner to move into second. Had he ran behind Ozuna like he's supposed to, he fields that ball easier.

The second double of that inning, he didn't even attempt to back up Ozuna. :angry: This after he started running off the field after the second out. Get your head in the game, BA. We can live with him not hitting, but we can't afford to have him costing us runs in the outfield.

He's also got to stop air mailing balls into the plate.

I hope the off day tomorrow helps, and the Sox start playing up to their potential starting Tuesday against the Tigers.

You have to win the games on the field, not on paper.

Those were both Anderson's balls. Ozuna needs to back those plays up and let Anderson make the effort. Both of those plays were forced by Ozuna not knowing where the hell he's at. :angry:

MadetoOrta
06-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Thank goodness this isn't like the minor leagues where you can win the first 1/2 of the season and make the playoffs. It's a long season folks. I remember reading WSI late at night at a house I rented in the Outer Banks (NC) reading about our Sox sweeping the Orioles in AUGUST and I believe going up 12 games? We were 30 over .500 about that time? Uh .... it got close folks. Dark clouds? If you bought the WS DVD go watch it tonight and tomorrow night. You'll be fine. And remember, thank god you don't have to live in Detroit, Michigan. Ha!

Chips
06-04-2006, 04:17 PM
What a terrible game.

At least Cliff looked good.

2/3 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR.

MarySwiss
06-04-2006, 04:17 PM
On paper we were the best team in 2002,2003,2004 lets not add to that. The fact is this team cant, hit, pitch, or play defense right now. How about leaving AJ out of the lineup today. I understand that there is a lefty on the mound but Thome is out of the lineup. We looked really bad today and we have for the last week. If we don't turn this around you can kiss the playoffs goodbye. Politte needs to become the mop up guy for a while. I think the Dark Clouds are the realistic ones right now.
:rolleyes:

MarySwiss
06-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Those were both Anderson's balls. Ozuna needs to back those plays up and let Anderson make the effort. Both of those plays were forced by Ozuna not knowing where the hell he's at. :angry:
Yup. Except Anderson needs to take CHARGE out there. He needs to call off Ozuna in no uncertain trerms. And he needs to not take for granted that a ball will be caught; he is supposed to back the play if he doesn't take charge. I for one do not think that Pablo should EVER play outfield.

Chips
06-04-2006, 04:21 PM

He already is the mop up guy. We were down 6-2 when the gascan came in.

Law11
06-04-2006, 04:22 PM
What cracks me up are the folks who think this is no big deal..
This team never looked this bad at its worst last year.

This team is pathetic right now and is showing NO signs of life.
KW better get off his butt now forget July to make a move.

Lets hope this week wakes up the beast!!

TaylorStSox
06-04-2006, 04:22 PM
Yup. Except Anderson needs to take CHARGE out there. He needs to call off Ozuna in no uncertain trerms. And he needs to not take for granted that a ball will be caught; he is supposed to back the play if he doesn't take charge. I for one do not think that Pablo should EVER play outfield.
How is he supposed to take charge when he's got Ozuna diving at him? There's no time to call off the LF on those type of plays. They aren't pop up's. A decent corner OF knows it's his job to back up those balls hit into the gap. Watch how Dye plays similar balls.

TDog
06-04-2006, 04:24 PM

I would dread to see the Sox replace Anderson, if only because every time a hit went to center, people would be screaming, "Anderson would have had that, but he doesn't play for us anymore."

Really, the best catches Anderson makes are the ones in people's imaginations when he isn't playing.

I used to think the same thing about Rowand, but he proved me wrong.

TaylorStSox
06-04-2006, 04:26 PM
I would dread to see the Sox replace Anderson, if only because every time a hit went to center, people would be screaming, "Anderson would have had that, but he doesn't play for us anymore."

Really, the best catches Anderson makes are the ones in people's imaginations when he isn't playing.

I used to think the same thing about Rowand, but he proved me wrong.

:?: Are you saying Anderson's not a good defensive OF? Maybe you can't tell because you can't see the jumps on TV. I don't know. *shakes head*

rocky biddle
06-04-2006, 04:26 PM
These guys aren't so fun to watch right now. Hopefully they'll get hot and start kicking ass again soon, preferably starting Tuesday. Ozzie didn't seem too worried in his postgame comments. I hope they can pull it together and start playing up to their potential.

0o0o0
06-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Did ya really expect the Sox to be perfect this season?

Jesus...it's ok to criticize the team once in a while. You sound like Moose Skowron just did while trying to defend Pablo's consistently bad defense by saying "Don't you have a bad day at the office once in a while?" :rolleyes:

Yes it's early, but unfortunately this is a bigger series vs Detroit than any of us could have anticpiated at the start of the season.

ChiSoxIn06
06-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Im not panicing yet but i do think Politte needs to go...and I never thought i'd consider this but i think we should go out and perhaps get a established reliever (perhaps from the reeling angels) for mccarthy. We have the other 5 starters locked up for a few years and they will come around this year. plus we have some up and coming arms in the minors so i think the time to deal mccarthy is now and get something we desperately need while his stock is at a current high. oh and by the way all this slumping talk will be over when we sweep the tigers this week.

Lip Man 1
06-04-2006, 04:43 PM
My only two comments after the effort today are:

1. I appreciate the Yankees and Tigers deciding to lose. It was nice of them to help us out.

2. Montero or whatever the hell his name is, fits right in with this bullpen.

Lip

0o0o0
06-04-2006, 04:43 PM
oh and by the way all this slumping talk will be over when we sweep the tigers this week.
That reminds me, anyone seen that guy that guaranteed a sweep of the rangers in a Cleveland post game thread a couple days ago?
You know, the guy that was being a dick and calling people dumb asses?
Didn't think so.

ilsox7
06-04-2006, 04:45 PM
That reminds me, anyone seen that guy that guaranteed a sweep of the rangers in a Cleveland post game thread a couple days ago?
You know, the guy that was being a dick and calling people dumb asses?
Didn't think so.
It's ALWAYS dumb to go and predict much of anything at that level of specificity. You'll rarely be right, especially when you go and predict sweeps.

EdHerman12
06-04-2006, 04:46 PM
People.............it's only June..........................

They will be just fine...relax

I hear Custer felt that way as the Indians were circling the wagons....the bottom line is the bad habits we're seeing right now will come back to roost in October....divisions can be lost in June as well as October...

GO SOX!

Chips
06-04-2006, 04:48 PM

Lip

In the sense that he is a gascan.

Corlose 15
06-04-2006, 04:53 PM
This team is playing like absolute **** right now and has been mediocre since the Angels series. Enough is enough. Also, what makes people think that all of a sudden they're going to turn on a switch and sweep the Tigers?:?: Hey, I'd love to see it but I don't think its gonna happen.

kwolf68
06-04-2006, 04:54 PM
I don't believe Ross Gload will finish the season in Chicago. He brings NOTHING to the table. He has been given his chance to show his stuff and is totally useless. He isn't a base stealing threat and isn't anything on defense either. Now that we see his decent two months 2 years ago was a total fluke its time to call up Rogowski if Thome is out for any amount of time. If Rogo flames, send him down...otherwise, he is a much better athlete than Gload and could give us a base stealing threat...and he sure can't hit any worse.

Pollitte has zero confidence...I don't know if we can send him to AAA or not, but he needs to go there to work some things out.

The bottom of our order right now is just a total disaster. Not just with Anderson, but Uribe has been awful there as well.

kobo
06-04-2006, 04:57 PM
This team is playing like absolute **** right now and has been mediocre since the Angels series. Enough is enough. Also, what makes people think that all of a sudden they're going to turn on a switch and sweep the Tigers?:?: Hey, I'd love to see it but I don't think its gonna happen.
I have to agree. With the way this team has played the last couple of weeks there is nothing that makes me optimistic that they are going to go out and sweep the Tigers. This team does not have an edge to them like they did last year. Like Hawk has said, there is absolutely no rhythm to this team.

itsnotrequired
06-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Bah. Another loss with the little guy in attendance (second in a row, overall record 7-2). I was less annoyed with the goofy scene on the field than the HomeFish-esque character sitting next to me. He was going ballistic over every little thing that went wrong. MB's first walk: "Oh my God, what is he doing! This couldn't get any worse!" Gload strikes out: "This guy needs to be sent to the minors! He is competing with Anderson as the worst player on the team!" Unbearable.

Sig update time...

Blueprint1
06-04-2006, 04:59 PM

Hey looks like you have been watching the games. I think some of these people have their World Series DVD's on.

Brian26
06-04-2006, 05:06 PM

Absolutely 100% correct. Those were both Anderson's balls, and Ozuna's wild dive in front of him cost Anderson's attempt at a dive. He had no chance to back it up because he was going for it from the start.

Brian26
06-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Yup. Except Anderson needs to take CHARGE out there. He needs to call off Ozuna in no uncertain trerms. And he needs to not take for granted that a ball will be caught; he is supposed to back the play if he doesn't take charge.

Did you see the game? :?:

Brian26
06-04-2006, 05:10 PM

Spoken like someone who hasn't been to a game all year and has no idea what's happening in the outfield. You have to really see BA in person to appreciate how much territory he can make up in so little time. Neither Mack nor Rowand would have had a prayer at catching that first ball he caught on a dive, and I know he had that second ball in range, but Ozuna cut him off with that wild dive.

Brian26
06-04-2006, 05:12 PM

Lip

Lip-

Except for the homerun ball, Montero actually looked pretty decent. He was going right at guys.

Chips
06-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Spoken like someone who hasn't been to a game all year and has no idea what's happening in the outfield. You have to really see BA in person to appreciate how much territory he can make up in so little time. Neither Mack nor Rowand would have had a prayer at catching that first ball he caught on a dive, and I know he had that second ball in range, but Ozuna cut him off with that wild dive.

And Anderson has a rocket on his arm.

TFLEM33
06-04-2006, 05:14 PM
I have previously been a Gload supporter because of what I saw in him at the end of 2004, but after seeing his paltry play this year, it is time to move on. He rarely plays anyway and is just taking up a roster spot. Gload has no options left, so it is time to cut our ties with him. We need another right-handed bat off the bench anyway and big time BULLPEN help. Oh well, this has been a tough week. Hopefully, we can find our winning ways again on Tuesday. Go Sox!

Chisox1500
06-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Ozuna should never play the outfield. Defense made the pitching great last year. How many extra pitches have the starters thrown because of poor defense this year?

This team is a mess right now. Hopefully Thome is back and healthy on Tuesday.

Brian26
06-04-2006, 05:16 PM
And Anderson has a rocket on his arm.

He made a hell of a throw to third base to hold the runner from tagging up, but I wish he'd make an attempt to hit the cutoff man on the throws home when he doesn't have a shot.

Brian26
06-04-2006, 05:17 PM
We need another right-handed bat off the bench anyway

There's a statement you don't hear very often.

DickAllen72
06-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Absolutely 100% correct. Those were both Anderson's balls, and Ozuna's wild dive in front of him cost Anderson's attempt at a dive. He had no chance to back it up because he was going for it from the start.

Ozuna got to those balls before Anderson.

Frankfan4life
This game made me actually happy that I went to a fashion show today. I checked the score twice (3-2 and then 7-2) and then just felt sorry for the fans who were at the game today. Oy!

I just hope the Sox don't play like this when I'm at the game on the 9th.

thomas35forever
Well, this was a really crappy week. We better get it together NOW. Detroit's knocking on Comiskey's front door.

MarySwiss
06-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Yes, I did, albeit on a really bad feed. And, pardon me all to hell (sorry!), but I really like Anderson. I think he'll be just fine. And I agree that they were both Anderson's balls.

However, as for Anderson having no chance to back it up, take a look at the replay. Sure as hell (sorry again!) looked to me like he was heading toward the dugout without even attempting to back up the play of a guy that he should known by now is not a reliable outfielder. He assumed that a diving catch by an infielder who is filling in in the outfield is routine? Sorry, no excuse for that, except maybe the fact that he's a newbie outfielder. And I'll give him that.

Brian26
06-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Sure as hell (sorry!) looked to me like he was heading toward the dugout without even atttempting to back up the play of a guy that he should known by now is not a reliable outfielder. No excuse for that!

Well, I definitely caught BA heading in for the dugout with only two outs after that infield pop-up.

I'm not a fan of Pablo in leftfield. Ozzie seems pretty intent on keeping him there based on the postgame comments I heard on the radio.

itsnotrequired
06-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Well, I definitely caught BA heading in for the dugout with only two outs after that infield pop-up.
I think he wanted to tell Uribe a secret.

:anderson:

"Dude, I'm getting a Dell!"

:redneck

DickAllen72
06-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Yes, I did, albeit on a really bad feed. And, pardon me all to hell, but I really like Anderson. I think he'll be just fine. And I agree that they were both Anderson's balls.

However, as for Anderson having no chance to back it up, take a look at the replay. Sure as hell (sorry!) looked to me like he was heading toward the dugout without even atttempting to back up the play of a guy that he should known by now is not a reliable outfielder. No excuse for that!

I'm with you, Mary.

I think everyone would agree that for the most part, Anderson is an excellent defensive centerfielder.

I also think most people would agree that Ozuna is a shaky defensive leftfielder at best.

I like Anderson too. But apparently to some people here, he can do no wrong. Just because Ozuna is a bad leftfielder, and Anderson is a good centerfielder some just can't accept the fact that Anderson made a mistake. It must be all Ozuna's fault.

We've lost the last three series all because of Ozuna and Gload.

MarySwiss
06-04-2006, 05:30 PM

I'm not a fan of Pablo in leftfield. Ozzie seems pretty intent on keeping him there based on the postgame comments I heard on the radio.

I agree; Pablo is a valuable piece of this team, but an outfielder he most certainly is not. Ozzie needs to get a grip--and soon! :cool:

MarySwiss
06-04-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm with you, Mary.

I think everyone would agree that for the most part, Anderson is an excellent defensive centerfielder.

I also think most people would agree that Ozuna is a shaky defensive leftfielder at best.

I like Anderson too. But apparently to some people here, he can do no wrong. Just because Ozuna is a bad leftfielder, and Anderson is a good centerfielder some just can't accept the fact that Anderson made a mistake. It must be all Ozuna's fault.

Yup. Can't blame Ozuna. Anderson should've been--if not backing him up--at least not sprinting toward the dugout.

Bottom line: IMO, Pablo should never play outfield and Gload should never start at first base. Ozuna and Gload are not the reasons we've lost the last three series; playing them where they should never have been playing are not either, but that contributed.

1951Campbell
06-04-2006, 05:39 PM

Yes, please, someone teach Ozuna to play left field.

Chisox003
06-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Yup. Can't blame Ozuna. Anderson should've been--if not backing him up--at least not sprinting toward the dugout.

Bottom line: IMO, Pablo should never play outfield and Gload should never start at first base. Ozuna and Gload are not the reasons we've lost the last three series; playing them where they should never have been playing are not either, but that contributed.
It's a marathon, not a sprint. They aren't great defensively, but someone has to do it. Gload hasn't played at all defensively this year, why not give him the chance while there is one?

TaylorStSox
06-04-2006, 05:42 PM
This might be the wrong thread for this; Ozzie needs to stop calling people out. He needs to take the pressure off of Anderson and Uribe. We aren't losing games because they're not hitting. This is a professional team. They proved they know how to win. I wish Ozzie would say, "Uribe's my guy. He got me a championship last year." These guys aren't going to go the whole season flirting with the Mendoza line. Put them out there everyday and take the pressure off. The offense they give you is just a bonus. We're a defensive team. Our pitcher's need consistant D behind them. Reinforce the positives. Let these guys play their game and we'll start seeing results, both offensively and defensively.

Platoons suck. It's been proven over and over again that they don't work.

Brian26
06-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Bottom line: IMO, Pablo should never play outfield and Gload should never start at first base.

Thome's hurt. Konerko deserves a day off. It's not the end of the world. Gload is a fine defensive firstbasemen. What's the difference if PK is DH/Gload is at first vs. PK at first/Gload as DH? You're not losing that much with Gload at first. It's the easiest position on the field to play.

TaylorStSox
06-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Thome's hurt. Konerko deserves a day off. It's not the end of the world. Gload is a fine defensive firstbasemen. What's the difference if PK is DH/Gload is at first vs. PK at first/Gload as DH? You're not losing that much with Gload at first. It's the easiest position on the field to play.

IMO Gload's actually a better first baseman. With the sporadic play he's just rusty.

Brian26
06-04-2006, 05:49 PM
It must be all Ozuna's fault.

Who said we lost all three games (or even lost this game) because of Ozuna? We lost this game because Buehrle got knocked around and Politte sealed it.

DickAllen72
06-04-2006, 05:51 PM

I agree with you on Pablo, but disagree about Gload.

MarySwiss
06-04-2006, 05:51 PM
It's a marathon, not a sprint. They aren't great defensively, but someone has to do it. Gload hasn't played at all defensively this year, why not give him the chance while there is one?
Excuse me? I never said that Gload shouldn't play at all defensively; I said he should never start at first base. And as long as PAUL KONERKO is our starting first baseman, I will stand by that statement. Or do you really think that Gload should start ahead of Konerko? I do not hate Gload, and I would love to see him succeed. But starting him at first is insane, IMO.

DickAllen72
06-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Who said we lost all three games (or even lost this game) because of Ozuna? We lost this game because Buehrle got knocked around and Politte sealed it.

Amen.

Brian26
06-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Excuse me? I never said that Gload shouldn't play at all defensively; I said he should never start at first base. And as long as PAUL KONERKO is our starting first baseman, I will stand by that statement. Or do you really think that Gload should start ahead of Konerko? I do not hate Gload, and I would love to see him succeed. But starting him at first is insane, IMO.

:?:
Wow. I give up.

Konerko's supposed to start at first all 162 games this year? You rather have Gload start IN THE OUTFIELD than at first? PK never gets a breather in the field, ever? Wow.

MarySwiss
06-04-2006, 05:54 PM
I agree with you on Pablo, but disagree about Gload.
Again, I never said that Gload should never play first base. I just don't think he should start there--at least, not on this team. A strong defensive infielder he is, no doubt. But not a starter.

Credefan21
06-04-2006, 05:55 PM
I think it is stupid when people call people that are being realistic "dark clouds". Face it people we do have a problem here and if it doesn't get fixed we will be lucky to even win the division. You can live in a fairy tale world all you want but that isn't what is really happening here.

Brian26
06-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Again, I never said that Gload should never play first base. I just don't think he should start there--at least, not on this team. A strong defensive infielder he is, no doubt. But not a starter.

So it's ok if Ozzie starts Konerko at first and then pulls him in the top of the 2nd for Gload as a defensive replacement?

ilsox7
06-04-2006, 05:56 PM
I think it is stupid when people call people that are being realistic "dark clouds". Face it people we do have a problem here and if it doesn't get fixed we will be lucky to even win the division. You can live in a fairy tale world all you want but that isn't what is really happening here.

There's a difference between pointing out problems and making suggestions to solve them and going off the deep end b/c the team has had a bad couple of weeks. Lots of people around WSI are very familiar with that deep end (see August 2005 and the last 2 weeks).

DickAllen72
06-04-2006, 05:57 PM
I never said that Gload shouldn't play at all defensively; I said he should never start at first base. And as long as PAUL KONERKO is our starting first baseman, I will stand by that statement. Or do you really think that Gload should start ahead of Konerko? I do not hate Gload, and I would love to see him succeed. But starting him at first is insane, IMO.

I think the circumstances of the last few days is the perfect situation to start Gload at 1B. Thome was hurt, so Gload gives you a left handed bat in the lineup while at the same time giving Konerko a little rest.

Of course Konerko should start the vast majority of games at first, but everybody needs a rest once in a while.

salty99
06-04-2006, 05:57 PM
I just wonder if Kenny is going to make any moves to help us out. The next 2-3 weeks will be very telling.

MarySwiss
06-04-2006, 06:09 PM
:?:
Wow. I give up.

Konerko's supposed to start at first all 162 games this year? You rather have Gload start IN THE OUTFIELD than at first? PK never gets a breather in the field, ever? Wow.

No, I give up. You seem determined to misunderstand me. I never said any of these things; in fact, last time I looked, I agreed with you, despite being attacked, as is apparently typical with you.

Brian26][/B]

Yes, I did, albeit on a really bad feed. And, pardon me all to hell (sorry!), but I really like Anderson. I think he'll be just fine. And I agree that they were both Anderson's balls.

However, as for Anderson having no chance to back it up, take a look at the replay. Sure as hell (sorry again!) looked to me like he was heading toward the dugout without even attempting to back up the play of a guy that he should known by now is not a reliable outfielder. He assumed that a diving catch by an infielder who is filling in in the outfield is routine? Sorry, no excuse for that, except maybe the fact that he's a newbie outfielder. And I'll give him that.

Your post:

My post:

I agree; Pablo is a valuable piece of this team, but an outfielder he most certainly is not. Ozzie needs to get a grip--and soon!:cool:

Apparently you are responding to this:

I really thought we could bury the hatchet. But you don't seem inclined to do so. So let's just agree to ignore each other. Not a problem for me.

MarySwiss
06-04-2006, 06:15 PM
So it's ok if Ozzie starts Konerko at first and then pulls him in the top of the 2nd for Gload as a defensive replacement?

This is beyond idiotic. Unless it was intended to be teal?

ShoelessJoeS
06-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Hey, at least we have the day off tomorrow. Hopefully this will give our pitchers time to clear their heads of their recent mishaps.

Chips
06-04-2006, 06:18 PM

When PK gets a day off or DH's, who should start at first?

MarySwiss
06-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Good question, Chips. Of course, when PK gets a day off, Gload should start. Who else is there, except Thome, and that would be a bad idea.

HOWEVER, starting Gload at first and DH'ing PK for two or three games in a row strikes me as a bad idea. If Thome cannot DH, how about Mackowiak? or AJ? Or Widger? I think we most definitely need PK in the batting order, especially in the absence of Big Jim, but I don't think Ross Gload is an everyday starting first baseman, even over the short term.

roylestillman
06-04-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm still reeling over a previous post's analogy to Custer and the Indians "circling the wagons." Who gave them the wagons?

Anyway, is any body else getting tired of the rotating line-up? I feel like we're still in Tucson. I don't understand resting people the day before an off day.

Law11
06-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Hey, at least we have the day off tomorrow. Hopefully this will give our pitchers time to clear their heads of their recent mishaps.

As well as most of us...

hawkjt
06-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Are all of our starters in a dead arm funk right now. They are all walking more than normal, cant put anyone away.

Lots of gork hits today- if you play Pablo out there the ball will find him. Same with mack. Texas has a much better record on the road than at home- go figure- but I think they just have a lot of contact hitters more than homer hitters and when you make contact they tend to fall in.

Ultimately we are pitching and defense. The offense is good enough. But we need to field our best defensive team. And find some relief pitching.

It's called a slump. We are in a collective one right now. Remember; you're never as good as you look when you are flying high and never as bad as you look when you are slumping.

The beauty of baseball - there is another game to start to turn in it around tommorrow or in this case- on Tues.

The Wimperoo
06-04-2006, 07:04 PM
I didn't see the game, but was listening on the radio. In regards to BA not backing up Ozuna. Singleton commented that Ozuna messed up BA's chance to make the play by getting in the way. He said BA was just getting ready to make his dive when Ozuna dives in his way. It's hard to stop your full out sprint and change direction 1 second before the ball drops. Singleton said it was very similar to the play he just made in the right center field gap and probably would have had this one too if Ozuna wasn't in the way.

Grzegorz
06-04-2006, 07:16 PM

Lets hope this week wakes up the beast!!

I am sure KW is quite dissatisfied with the results of his team. I am not sure there is an advantageous move to be made at this point; the law of supply and demand at work.

soxwon
06-04-2006, 07:29 PM
One things for sure-WE are one LUCKY team.
To Lose 7 of 10 games and are still 2-1/2 out, thats LUCK.
Lets turn that Luck around and sweep Detroit and come out 1/2 in front.

Grzegorz
06-04-2006, 07:41 PM
HOWEVER, starting Gload at first and DH'ing PK for two or three games in a row strikes me as a bad idea. If Thome cannot DH, how about Mackowiak? or AJ? Or Widger? I think we most definitely need PK in the batting order, especially in the absence of Big Jim, but I don't think Ross Gload is an everyday starting first baseman, even over the short term.

I like that idea; rotating DH'es to get the guys on the bench some swings. Listen folks, we're all a little dismayed that the team is underperforming. Naturally it is easy to call out Uribe /Anderson/Gload/...

Last year this team underperformed offensively early in the season; look at the numbers from last year. This year it is different, we swing the bats well (for the most part) but the pitching, defense, and execution all are lacking.

These are mental issues; pitchers have to attack hitters, fielders have to field their positions, and for the love of all that is holy execute when called upon. No one can execute one hundred percent of the time, but this team is failing at too high a rate to succeed in the long term.

It seems as if this team sits back and waits; waiting for maybe the three run shot (Weaver's Orioles are running through my head).

Brian26
06-04-2006, 07:54 PM

Since Gload is not allowed to ever start at first base under any circumstances....

:timo:

"Eh, hem. I'm available cheap."

Brian26
06-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Anyway, is any body else getting tired of the rotating line-up? I feel like we're still in Tucson. I don't understand resting people the day before an off day.

This is the 25th different lineup used this season.

ilsox7
06-04-2006, 07:57 PM
This is the 25th different lineup used this season.

Just curious how many were used last season.

Blob
06-04-2006, 08:02 PM
:tomatoaward

bigsqwert
06-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Anyway, is any body else getting tired of the rotating line-up? I feel like we're still in Tucson. I don't understand resting people the day before an off day.Today was another example of Ozzie's obsession to use the righty stacked lineup vs a lefty pitcher. Our record agianst lefties isn't very good this year so I'm not sure why he continues to trot this type of lineup out there.

Lip Man 1
06-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Taylor:

Then you're not going to like this comment by Ozzie about Cliffy. From White Sox.com:

"I don't know about game situations. I don't think Politte has the confidence in himself right now to go out and perform in game situations. This thing is all about confidence and making pitches. I don't see any of those two things with him right now."

Oh regarding Pablo in the outfield, Ozzie says he's going to play Ozuna in the outfield for one of the Detroit games when they pitch a left hander.

Brian:

With respect...and except for those few hits Cliffy gave up he looked pretty good too!

The bullpen needs to shut people down...completely, not give up even a single run. Personally I think, as a unit (except for Jenks) their confidence is shot. An indication is the number of walks being allowed by everyone. You don't attack the strike zone if you're not sure you can get guys out with your stuff. They aren't ergo the number of walks.
Lip

ilsox7
06-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Taylor:

Then you're not going to like this comment by Ozzie about Cliffy. From White Sox.com:

"I don't know about game situations. I don't think Politte has the confidence in himself right now to go out and perform in game situations. This thing is all about confidence and making pitches. I don't see any of those two things with him right now."

This seems dead on. You can easily tell by the way Cliff looks that he has 0 confidence in himself.

Oh regarding Pablo in the outfield, Ozzie says he's going to play Ozuna in the outfield for one of the Detroit games when they pitch a left hander.

Lip

Boo-urns.

Brian26
06-04-2006, 08:31 PM
This seems dead on. You can easily tell by the way Cliff looks that he has 0 confidence in himself.

Just something I found interesting today: The pitch speed on the board was turned off towards the end of Cliff's appearance. I admit I didn't look for it for the first couple of batters. I know it was working earlier in the day for Buehrle. I have no idea if it stopped working or if they turned it off intentionally.

Chips
06-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Good question, Chips. Of course, when PK gets a day off, Gload should start. Who else is there, except Thome, and that would be a bad idea.

PK has played every game this season with the exception of one. He could use some rest and DHing is basically like having a day off. You don't want to have both your catchers in the lineup. Gload is not an everyday starting firstbaseman. He's a backup. He fills in when guys need rest. PK took Thome's spot as DH and Gload backuped PK.

DickAllen72
06-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Boo-urns.

I was saying "Boo-urns."

infohawk
06-04-2006, 08:38 PM
One things for sure-WE are one LUCKY team.
To Lose 7 of 10 games and are still 2-1/2 out, thats LUCK.
Lets turn that Luck around and sweep Detroit and come out 1/2 in front.
Amen to that! If we are going to slump a little, the past ten days or so were the time to do it (if there ever is an ideal time). Both the Tigers and Indians haven't been playing very good ball either. We could have been looking at a substantial deficit.

DickAllen72
06-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Amen to that! If we are going to slump a little, the past ten days or so were the time to do it (if there ever is an ideal time). Both the Tigers and Indians haven't been playing very good ball either. We could have been looking at a substantial deficit.

I agree.

I've read some comments along the lines of, "It really hurts to be playing so poorly now because we could have gained so much ground on Detroit this week." While I understand those sentiments, just think how devestating this would be if Detroit was still red hot this past week. Shudder!

Grzegorz
06-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Ok, lets call this little bump in the road our mulligan for the year.

Now, it time to stand up and be counted; Tigers, Indians, Rangers, Reds, Cardinals, and Astros.

No excuses from here on out; the stakes are well known.

oeo
06-04-2006, 08:50 PM

1. I appreciate the Yankees and Tigers deciding to lose. It was nice of them to help us out.

Or the Tigers are showing their true colors...

As for the Yankees, they're irrelevant right now. The Sox aren't here to win the Wild Card, they're here to win the division, and they're going to do it.

WSox8404
06-04-2006, 09:06 PM
[quote=oeo]Or the Tigers are showing their true colors...

Yeah. As bad as we are playing, I know we are going to win the division. The kitties are gonna fall apart. Mark my words. They will finish around .500. Their pitching will not hold up. Maroth is already hurt and Verlander has that finger problem. I don't know if that is going to be a reoccuring thing but he is not 100%. We will snap out of it, especially when Kenny gets us some bullpen help. We all know he will. He is not going to let this team go to waste because the bullpen sucks. Believe me, if we all know it sucks, Kenny sure as hell knows it as well. If we were back in the Schuler days I would be worried. But with Kenny at the helm we should be fine.

bigsqwert
06-04-2006, 09:26 PM
...especially when Kenny gets us some bullpen help. We all know he will. He is not going to let this team go to waste because the bullpen sucks. ...Problem is there are about 20 other teams (in contention) that need bullpen help.

Ol' No. 2
06-04-2006, 09:31 PM
[quote=oeo]Or the Tigers are showing their true colors...

Yeah. As bad as we are playing, I know we are going to win the division. The kitties are gonna fall apart. Mark my words. They will finish around .500. Their pitching will not hold up. Maroth is already hurt and Verlander has that finger problem. I don't know if that is going to be a reoccuring thing but he is not 100%. We will snap out of it, especially when Kenny gets us some bullpen help. We all know he will. He is not going to let this team go to waste because the bullpen sucks. Believe me, if we all know it sucks, Kenny sure as hell knows it as well. If we were back in the Schuler days I would be worried. But with Kenny at the helm we should be fine.Unfortunately, trades rarely happen before the end of June at the earliest, and very few before the break. They're going to have to get it done until then with what they have.

What's with this love affair with Montero? Isn't it about time to give Javier Lopez a shot?

viagracat
06-04-2006, 09:45 PM
OK, it's a long season, and EVERY team, EVERY year, goes through a period or two when they're scuffling. Not fun to watch right now to be sure; currently the Sox are not doing much of anything right. But the game is funny that way. Bad teams will do the reverse and have a stretch where they are very tough. It evens out, usually sooner rather than later.

Big picture is the team is in good shape in terms of their record and standings position. Not that there aren't areas they need to improve in, but a lot of it right now, I think, is one of those slumps that even the Yankees, Cardinals, etc sometimes fall into. I fully expect the Sox to get it together and soon. It would be helpful to start that turnaround vs Detroit and Cleveland this week.

Bobbo35
06-04-2006, 09:54 PM
All I have to say is that I hope the Sox are getting this crap out of their system now and not in August because they cannot afford that this year. What they need is to gain the confidence back by spanking the kitties this next series. Should be interesting with the pitching matchups. Thank god Thome will be back.

salty99
06-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Just something I found interesting today: The pitch speed on the board was turned off towards the end of Cliff's appearance. I admit I didn't look for it for the first couple of batters. I know it was working earlier in the day for Buehrle. I have no idea if it stopped working or if they turned it off intentionally.

It was not working yesterday very much either.

Chisox003
06-04-2006, 10:03 PM
All I have to say is that I hope the Sox are getting this crap out of their system now and not in August because they cannot afford that this year.
These games count as much as the ones in August.

oeo
06-04-2006, 10:09 PM
These games count as much as the ones in August.

The point is, they are struggling while other teams are not play well either. Every team is going to go through at least what we're going through right now. If we get it out of our system now, we don't have to worry about it in August.

Ol' No. 2
06-04-2006, 10:13 PM
The point is, they are struggling while other teams are not play well either. Every team is going to go through at least what we're going through right now. If we get it out of our system now, we don't have to worry about it in August.It doesn't make any difference if the other teams are struggling now or in August, either. A loss is a loss is a loss. Better to forget about other teams and focus on your own. The Sox are 3-7 in their last 10 games. That hurts just as bad in June as it does in August.

Chips
06-04-2006, 10:47 PM
[quote=WSox8404]

What's with this love affair with Montero? Isn't it about time to give Javier Lopez a shot?

Yes it is, or Farnsworth.

markopat
06-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Just a small town boy...

TDG...Help the Dark Clouds BELIEVE baby!

Let's GO SOX!!! SHAKE IT OFF!

ode to veeck
06-04-2006, 11:13 PM
great title for this thread GO SOX!!

SOXfnNlansing
06-04-2006, 11:28 PM
I picked today as my 1st game of the season to go to......... and the churros were fabulous!

spiffie
06-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Some positives from a day at the park watching the defending World Series Champions:

- Montero actually looked quite good save for the one bad pitch. His fastball was coming in low 90's and he seemed willing to attack the hitters. Good mindset to see from a young bullpen guy.

- Anderson made an amazing grab and got a little roller to get through the infield. Those are the kinds of hits that you never get in a slump and always get when things are going well. Perhaps this is the start of a turnaround for him.

- Mark was looking good until he had the one bad inning helped out by the defense. I really feel like he's right about to get things back to where they need to be for him to be pitching consistent 7-8 inning outings with very low runs allowed.

As for poor Cliff, of course he has no confidence. The boobirds are ready to attack at the first sign of weakness, and it is appalling. People wearing shirts that say "World Champions 2005" on them are seemingly forgetting that without Cliff they might not have those shirts to wear. Give the guy some love, show him we appreciate his efforts and know he's working to improve on an obviously rough patch. And I am sure he will get it right. Coop says everything is fine mechanically, so I am sure its just a matter of time and of patience on the part of Ozzie and on the part of the fans. Cliff will be a major part of our World Series bullpen this year.

And the best part is we're about to take the lead in the division back. After all, we swept Detroit before, no reason to believe we aren't about to sweep them again.

So there, no reason for anyone to think anything but :) today! Everything is going to be just fine and we are still fans of the BEST TEAM IN BASEBALL.

TheDarkGundam
06-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Just a small town boy...

TDG...Help the Dark Clouds BELIEVE baby!

Let's GO SOX!!! SHAKE IT OFF!
Wow. I cannot believe this.
I mean come on! Small town boy? BOY?!
The line is "Just a small town girl". SMALL TOWN GIRL. GIRL!
Please try to get it right next time. :mad:

:tongue:
(P.S. For those who don't know, markopat here is referring to how I will occasionally "sing" Don't Stop Believing in WSI Chat when the Sox start to get in trouble. Everyone loves it. :wink:)

gobears1987
06-04-2006, 11:53 PM

Lets hope this week wakes up the beast!!Take some ****ing prozac.

Yes this sucked. The team got wailed on at times last year. Remember getting shut out 8-0 at Anaheim?

All the dark clouds need to shut up and realize that there are 4 months left of baseball to play. We have a ton of talent in AAA. There are teams that would like that. There are also teams that have players we want. I can guarantee you that KW is looking at ways to plug holes.

:darkcloud::prozac

voodoochile
06-05-2006, 12:20 AM
What was that Leland said the other day? It's in the article on the Cubune website today...

He yelled at them in April when they started off playing like crap. Then they took off. Then they ran into the Yankee/Bosox buzzsaw and lost 5/7 (6/8 overall).

"This team is going to lose 4 in a row again later in the year."

Oh crap... the Sox probably will too...sigh...

This one's for the dark clouds... Voodoo gets shoved off a cliff...:rolleyes:

JB98
06-05-2006, 01:22 AM
Other than the beautiful weather, not much positive this afternoon. We didn't have any hits after the fifth inning today. I believe Widger hit a ball hard that DeRosa made a nice play on, but other than that, guys were giving away at-bats. In fact, we scored ZERO runs from the sixth inning on in this series with Texas. Not a single late-inning run in any of the three games. Remarkable.

Today, the Sox sort of threw up their hands after the Rangers hit them with a three-spot in the sixth. To break this losing streak, the guys need to start playing with intensity for a full nine innings.

Dan H
06-05-2006, 03:09 AM
One thing that has concerned me is the times the White Sox have given up runs in double figures this season. I don't know just how many times they have done that, but it seems like too many times for a team that is supposed to have a strong pitching staff.

I don't think anyone can pass total judgment on a team during a 10-game stretch. But they have been blown out, shut out, and lost games in the late innings, and it has been brutal. Even when they beat the Rangers, they never put Texas three up, three down, let the Rangers put 17 runners on base and the last 14 Sox hitters went down rather meekly.

During at least the next six games, the Sox need to assert themselves. The Indians are not that good, and the Tigers have yet to prove themselves. It's time to spank your division rivals and show who is best in this divison. They can have a slump some other time.

TDog
06-05-2006, 03:12 AM
:?: Are you saying Anderson's not a good defensive OF? Maybe you can't tell because you can't see the jumps on TV. I don't know. *shakes head*

I'm saying that whenever Anderson isn't in the game and there is a hit to center, everyone says Anderson would have had that. I'm sure he's an outstanding center fielder, but I'm also sure that he wouldn't have made some of the catches people imagine him making.

Wsoxmike59
06-05-2006, 05:56 AM
Ouch! Ugly loss. Didn't get to see to much of the game due to a graduation party we were throwing.

I think the tone of the game was set when Pablo (aka the reincarnation of Ralph Garr in LF) totally misplayed the ball Teixera hit and allowed TX to tie the score at that point. Should've been out of that inning with a 2-0 lead.

The defense really let Mark down today. But when you only score 2 runs yourself, you can't really expect to win too many games.

Thank God Monday's an off day. Hopefully we can right this ship when the Tigers come to town.

P.S. Note to Ozzie did you shred the notebook that had the "Smartball" blueprints in it after we won the World Series?

Mike

wassagstdu
06-05-2006, 06:55 AM
It doesn't make any difference if the other teams are struggling now or in August, either. A loss is a loss is a loss. Better to forget about other teams and focus on your own. The Sox are 3-7 in their last 10 games. That hurts just as bad in June as it does in August.

That's true when all is said and done. But each game is played in context of what preceded it. I think the problems the Sox had in August set them up for their post-season run last year. If they had coasted into the playoffs it might have been a different story. Or suppose the end of season run against the Tigers and Indians had happened at the other end of the slump and the Sox had entered the playoffs with the identical record but coming off two months of .500 ball.

I think this slump might help get back some of the edge the Sox will need later. For example, maybe Politte's lack of confidence is more a fear of not living up to last year's standard. By now that is pretty much a done deal and from this point he is back where he was last year, trying to prove himself against expectations. Not fear of losing but hunger to win.

Parrothead
06-05-2006, 06:59 AM
[quote=spiffie]Some positives from a day at the park watching the defending World Series Champions:

- Montero actually looked quite good save for the one bad pitch. His fastball was coming in low 90's and he seemed willing to attack the hitters. Good mindset to see from a young bullpen guy.

- Mark was looking good until he had the one bad inning helped out by the defense. I really feel like he's right about to get things back to where they need to be for him to be pitching consistent 7-8 inning outings with very low runs allowed.[quote]

"Other than the shooting the play was fine"....Mrs. Lincoln

Come on there were no bright spots....

Law11
06-05-2006, 07:22 AM
Take some ****ing prozac.

Yes this sucked. The team got wailed on at times last year. Remember getting shut out 8-0 at Anaheim?

All the dark clouds need to shut up and realize that there are 4 months left of baseball to play. We have a ton of talent in AAA. There are teams that would like that. There are also teams that have players we want. I can guarantee you that KW is looking at ways to plug holes.

:darkcloud::prozac

Have you read the paper this morning? Did you not see MB's comments?
"But if we keep playing way we are right now, the season's going to be over pretty quick." if one of us make that statement here youre all over us.

Give him a dark cloud too I guess.

soxfanatlanta
06-05-2006, 07:23 AM
I picked today as my 1st game of the season to go to......... and the churros were fabulous!

That's the spirit!

I hope they start coming out of this funk, soon!

bigsqwert
06-05-2006, 08:11 AM
If we get it out of our system now, we don't have to worry about it in August.I didn't realize we were assurred a very good month in August because we are struggling now.

MsSoxVixen22
06-05-2006, 08:26 AM
What a letdown. Mark got kncoked around. That's not like him. Good God, I hope Thome gets well soon! Ozzie please PLEASE stop playing Ozuna in the outfield! Pods should never be sitting! Regardless if it's a lefty or righty! Anderson needs to get his **** together. He should've backed up Ozuna. I guess this is a good "shoulda coulda woulda." Rest today boys and get back in the WINNING frame of mind and get back to playing Ozzieball like we know we can! Dark clouds go away come again another day! :tongue:

Ol' No. 2
06-05-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm saying that whenever Anderson isn't in the game and there is a hit to center, everyone says Anderson would have had that. I'm sure he's an outstanding center fielder, but I'm also sure that he wouldn't have made some of the catches people imagine him making.You're wrong. All they need is one mini-Anderson in the outfield and the other two outfielders should just stay in the dugout so they don't get in his way.:rolleyes:

spiffie
06-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Have you read the paper this morning? Did you not see MB's comments?
"But if we keep playing way we are right now, the season's going to be over pretty quick." if one of us make that statement here youre all over us.

Give him a dark cloud too I guess.
Problem is the folks here who say such a thing tend to think of the "if" as merely decorative, working with the assumption that we will play this poorly all season. He's right, if we play this way for another 100 or so games they won't be in the playoffs. But the odds of that are so ridiculously small that it's not worth our speculating about. If in August they are still playing at the same .300 clip that they've had the last 10 games then all the naysayers can come and be happy that they were right.

Ol' No. 2
06-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Problem is the folks here who say such a thing tend to think of the "if" as merely decorative, working with the assumption that we will play this poorly all season. He's right, if we play this way for another 100 or so games they won't be in the playoffs. But the odds of that are so ridiculously small that it's not worth our speculating about. If in August they are still playing at the same .300 clip that they've had the last 10 games then all the naysayers can come and be happy that they were right.You're painting with a pretty broad brush. There is a difference between the pants-pissers, who just run around in circles yelling "The bullpen sucks" and "The hitting sucks" and "Why don't they use the same lineup every day?", and those who recognize that the team is going in the wrong direction and are not content to don rose-colored glasses and keep repeating "Everything will be fine."

miker
06-05-2006, 10:03 AM
BOO!

Okay, I got it out of my system and here's hoping the Sox get this crappy baseball out of their system during the series with the Kitties.

voodoochile
06-05-2006, 10:17 AM
You're painting with a pretty broad brush. There is a difference between the pants-pissers, who just run around in circles yelling "The bullpen sucks" and "The hitting sucks" and "Why don't they use the same lineup every day?", and those who recognize that the team is going in the wrong direction and are not content to don rose-colored glasses and keep repeating "Everything will be fine."

Everything will be fine...

That means that I think that:

KW will make some moves to improve the bullpen.
Brian Anderson will start hitting a bit or KW will make a move to acquire a CF who can hit, probably using Brian as tradebait.
The starting pitchers will find a bit of a groove.
Jim Thome won't require an extended leave of absence.
The Tigers will fall back to earth and the Jndjans won't improve much.So like I said, everything will be fine...:cool::D:

Law11
06-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Problem is the folks here who say such a thing tend to think of the "if" as merely decorative, working with the assumption that we will play this poorly all season. He's right, if we play this way for another 100 or so games they won't be in the playoffs. But the odds of that are so ridiculously small that it's not worth our speculating about. If in August they are still playing at the same .300 clip that they've had the last 10 games then all the naysayers can come and be happy that they were right.

Mark never said if we keep playing like this the next 100 games.
He said if we keep playing like this the season will be over pretty quick. Quick to me refers to the near interim not over the next 100 games.

My issue is that God forbid someone says something negative here or shows concern for how lousy this team has looked over the past few weeks.
Youre then classified as a non-believer in the team. My original post said this team never looked this bad last year (am I wrong?) I mentioned KW needs to make a move in June not July. For that I got "take some prozac" and dark Cloud... Sorry but my kool-aid is spiked with a bit of reality. When our own players are seeing the "dark clouds" ahead if they dont get this righted soon seems to say the same thing.

kittle42
06-05-2006, 10:32 AM
My issue is that God forbid someone says something negative here or shows concern for how lousy this team has looked over the past few weeks.
Youre then classified as a non-believer in the team. And thats the joke.

I believe in this team. That being said, I don't agree with the sentiment that "they're just getting out of the way what happened in August last year." The 2005 team's only real problem was probably that it had one less hitter than it needed. The problems this year are more numerous. If these problems do not get addressed, this may not be the only slump this team goes through all year.

Ol' No. 2
06-05-2006, 11:05 AM
I believe in this team. That being said, I don't agree with the sentiment that "they're just getting out of the way what happened in August last year." The 2005 team's only real problem was probably that it had one less hitter than it needed. The problems this year are more numerous. If these problems do not get addressed, this may not be the only slump this team goes through all year.Well said. The problem I'm least worried about is the starting rotation. Pitchers go through bad streaks and they all just seem to be going through one at the same time. Sometimes things like this are contagious, but these guys are proven, and they'll come around. Three problems need to be addressed:

1) The bullpen lacks depth. Right now, there are only three guys that don't make me want to cover my eyes (Jenks, Cotts, Thornton). The jury's still out on Montero, McCarthy has been inconsistent and Politte has, unfortunately, been very consistent.

2) You can't have TWO hitters in the lineup hitting below the Mendoza line. Even one is bad, but with two it's very hard to sustain any kind of rally. And I don't care how good you are defensively, there's no justification for being that bad at the plate.

3) Fundamentals seem to have gone out the window. They're not making productive outs. No one can bunt. Baserunning blunders have cost them. There are too many mental lapses in defense. This is Ozzie's job to fix.

These problems need to be addressed ASAP. They can't afford to sit back and hope things work themselves out. If they keep playing like this much longer, it won't matter what they do in August.

Baby Fisk
06-05-2006, 11:14 AM
3) Fundamentals seem to have gone out the window. They're not making productive outs. No one can bunt. Baserunning blunders have cost them. There are too many mental lapses in defense. This is Ozzie's job to fix.

This is the most troubling trend of the past week. Ozzieball has gone AWOL. Doing the little things right helped us win some of those one-run games last year. Now the Sox are preventing themselves from being in a position to eke out those one-run wins. Not good. :(:

woodsdavid
06-05-2006, 12:08 PM
This is the most troubling trend of the past week. Ozzieball has gone AWOL. Doing the little things right helped us win some of those one-run games last year. Now the Sox are preventing themselves from being in a position to eke out those one-run wins. Not good. :(:

agreed that team is not playing "ozzieball". helps win close games, but tougher to play ozzie ball when giving up ridiculous run totals:

5/16: 10
5/21: 7
5/26: 8
6/11: 12
6/4: 10

Lip Man 1
06-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Dan:

To answer your question, right now it's 7 games.

As a comparison in 2000 it was 22 games.

In 2005 for the season, it was 7 games

Lip

greygoose
06-05-2006, 12:49 PM
In the post-game press conference, I could have sworn that Dusty was giving it!

Ho-hum, we'll try again tomorrow, I'll keep using Ozuna

No fire at all.

Well, I guess you can't expect to win with 4 automatic outs at the bottom of the lineup.

Jjav829
06-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Well said. The problem I'm least worried about is the starting rotation. Pitchers go through bad streaks and they all just seem to be going through one at the same time. Sometimes things like this are contagious, but these guys are proven, and they'll come around. Three problems need to be addressed:

1) The bullpen lacks depth. Right now, there are only three guys that don't make me want to cover my eyes (Jenks, Cotts, Thornton). The jury's still out on Montero, McCarthy has been inconsistent and Politte has, unfortunately, been very consistent.

2) You can't have TWO hitters in the lineup hitting below the Mendoza line. Even one is bad, but with two it's very hard to sustain any kind of rally. And I don't care how good you are defensively, there's no justification for being that bad at the plate.

These problems need to be addressed ASAP. They can't afford to sit back and hope things work themselves out. If they keep playing like this much longer, it won't matter what they do in August.

Well said. You're right on everything. :gulp:

The only starter I worry about is Garland, but I think he'll come around soon. Everyone else, just keep running them out there because they're going to pitch well.