PDA

View Full Version : Looking Ahead:Home Opener

Chisox_cali
02-04-2002, 07:30 PM
If most of us are in agreement that Butter is gonna be our no.5 starter than I looked ahead and saw that if he is than he will be the starter for the home opener against the O's...Just like he was last year at the home opener. Should we be afraid or not?
:butter
"You can count on me!"

czalgosz
02-04-2002, 07:38 PM
Parque will probably be the no. 3 or no. 4 starter. If you have 2 lefties in your rotation, you try not to put them back-to-back. Here's my rotation for 2002 -

Buehrle
Ritchie
Parque
Garland
Biddle

Although Glover or Wright could just as easily win the fifth spot out of ST, I personally like Biddle.

Chisox_cali
02-04-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Parque will probably be the no. 3 or no. 4 starter. If you have 2 lefties in your rotation, you try not to put them back-to-back. Here's my rotation for 2002 -

Buehrle
Ritchie
Parque
Garland
Biddle

Although Glover or Wright could just as easily win the fifth spot out of ST, I personally like Biddle.

Isnt Rocked gonna need some more time to recover from surgery? or was his less of a surgery than all the labrums? Also wasn't JM quoted as saying Glover was pretty much a lock for the rotation at some point in the Off-Season or has he Changed his mind

Chisox_cali
02-04-2002, 07:46 PM
By the Way My Ideal Rotation would be

Buehrle
Ritchie
Garland
Glover
Butter

Though I do think that if Rauch tears it up in AAA for the first month or so that he could easily break into the rotation and be what Bere was to the '93 squad. Which would either knock Butter or Glover into the pen depending on if they are struggling or not I guess that could go the same for Garland too

Daver
02-04-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

Isnt Rocked gonna need some more time to recover from surgery? or was his less of a surgery than all the labrums? Also wasn't JM quoted as saying Glover was pretty much a lock for the rotation at some point in the Off-Season or has he Changed his mind

Biddle didn't have Labrum surgery,he had rotator cuff surgery,and was supposed to be ready for ST.
I like czal's idea of the rotation,with the exception of Parque.I would like to see him in the pen.

czalgosz
02-04-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by daver

Biddle didn't have Labrum surgery,he had rotator cuff surgery,and was supposed to be ready for ST.
I like czal's idea of the rotation,with the exception of Parque.I would like to see him in the pen.

To be honest, I would like to see Parque in the 'pen as well, not because I don't like him, because I do (BTW, Parque turns 26 on Friday) but because he is better suited, IMO, for that role. I think he'd be great in relief.

Using 2000 as a basis, because he was hurt in 2001, here are his opponents OPS by innings worked -

Innings 1-3 - .674
Innings 4-6 - .811
Innings 7-9 - 1.243

Parque has great stuff for three to five innings, and then he is nothing. I think he would be a really good reliever for that reason alone.

But I don't think it will happen. I think Parque will at least start the season in the rotation and will only end up in the bullpen if he struggles.

Daver
02-04-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

To be honest, I would like to see Parque in the 'pen as well, not because I don't like him, because I do (BTW, Parque turns 26 on Friday) but because he is better suited, IMO, for that role. I think he'd be great in relief.

Using 2000 as a basis, because he was hurt in 2001, here are his opponents OPS by innings worked -

Innings 1-3 - .674
Innings 4-6 - .811
Innings 7-9 - 1.243

Parque has great stuff for three to five innings, and then he is nothing. I think he would be a really good reliever for that reason alone.

But I don't think it will happen. I think Parque will at least start the season in the rotation and will only end up in the bullpen if he struggles.

I would hate to see Biddle get pushed to the pen in ST in favor of Parque,aside from Buehrle,Biddle is the only other pitcher on the roster that has the nads to go after the hitter and establish who owns the plate.Biddle may not be overpowering,but his attitude makes up for it.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

Chisox_cali
02-04-2002, 08:15 PM

I would hate to see Biddle get pushed to the pen in ST in favor of Parque,aside from Buehrle,Biddle is the only other pitcher on the roster that has the nads to go after the hitter and establish who owns the plate.Biddle may not be overpowering,but his attitude makes up for it.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

I'm sure those sideburns dont hurt either :smile:

Daver
02-04-2002, 08:18 PM

I'm sure those sideburns dont hurt either :smile:

They still rank right up there with the ugliest facial hair in MLB.:redneck

Chisox_cali
02-04-2002, 08:20 PM

They still rank right up there with the ugliest facial hair in MLB.:redneck

Who else has ugly facial hair in the MLB?

Daver
02-04-2002, 08:24 PM

Who else has ugly facial hair in the MLB?

Rollie Fingers comes to mind.Perhaps you should post a poll.

OfficerKarkovice
02-04-2002, 08:25 PM
I think Rock is going to have a big year if healthy...I heard reports that he will not be ready for the start of the season tho. He showed some big cahones in his starts last year...like daver said he doesnt back down from any hitter and goes right after it (unlike some other pitcher which is now a Pirate *cough**kip**cough*)

Daver
02-04-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
I think Rock is going to have a big year if healthy...I heard reports that he will not be ready for the start of the season tho. He showed some big cahones in his starts last year...like daver said he doesnt back down from any hitter and goes right after it (unlike some other pitcher which is now a Pirate *cough**kip**cough*)

:kipper

I know,I crapped my pants everytime I got in trouble.

Chisox_cali
02-04-2002, 08:27 PM

Rollie Fingers comes to mind.Perhaps you should post a poll.

I dont really know to many thats why I was asking you. Whats that guys name who pitched for the Cards last year? i dont know if he still does but I remember seeing some wild 'burns watching the playoffs last year

Chisox_cali
02-04-2002, 08:35 PM
I did love Biddle's 6K's in 3 innings start to the game against the Flubs before he had to get taken out because of his shoulder pain and eventual surgery. Couse we did lose that game because of Graffy's gaffe at third. And also they dont call him "Rocked" for nothin'
:rocked
"No...No they don't"

kermittheefrog
02-04-2002, 08:40 PM
Rocky's sideburns aren't worse than Rowand's goatee. That thing just pisses me off but they both look like carnies. I actually like Rocky though so I'll give him a break and frankly the sideburns are amusing.

AS FOR ROCKY'S VALUE AS A PLAYER, I think he could be a solid guy for us. I like his curve a lot and he throws a little harder than average working at 92.

Daver
02-04-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Rocky's sideburns aren't worse than Rowand's goatee. That thing just pisses me off but they both look like carnies. I actually like Rocky though so I'll give him a break and frankly the sideburns are amusing.

AS FOR ROCKY'S VALUE AS A PLAYER, I think he could be a solid guy for us. I like his curve a lot and he throws a little harder than average working at 92.

IMHO he also has the best fastball of all the Sox pitchers,it may not go across at 98 but it moves better than anyone else's.Alan Embree showed us all what happens to a 98 mile an hour fast ball with no movement.

duke of dorwood
02-04-2002, 09:34 PM
A great concept, a left handed mid-long reliever. Haven't had one of those in a while . That would work real well in the middle innings, maybe get some leftys out of the line up before Gascan and Keith come in.

doublem23
02-04-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
A great concept, a left handed mid-long reliever. Haven't had one of those in a while . That would work real well in the middle innings, maybe get some leftys out of the line up before Gascan and Keith come in.

Yeah, but almost anything that reduces the number of innings the Gascan pitches is good, IMO.

Almost...

:embree
Remember me???