PDA

View Full Version : When is the last time that an MLB team

caulfield12
06-04-2006, 02:53 PM
played 33 games in a row against teams with winning records?

6-6 so far, and looking quite possibly like 6-7 in the first part of that stretch....which essentially is 3-7 after you take away the Oakland sweep.

If we can come out of this stretch (23 more games) within 5 games of first place the way our bullpen is floundering, fundamentals-small ball is lacking and defense is average at best, we SHOULD be okay.

That's assuming KW and OG can do something about CF and the bullpen.

ilsox7
06-04-2006, 03:06 PM
played 33 games in a row against teams with winning records?

6-6 so far, and looking quite possibly like 6-7 in the first part of that stretch....which essentially is 3-7 after you take away the Oakland sweep.

If we can come out of this stretch (23 more games) within 5 games of first place the way our bullpen is floundering, fundamentals-small ball is lacking and defense is average at best, we SHOULD be okay.

So games against Oakland don't count?

Frater Perdurabo
06-04-2006, 03:07 PM

I hate to have to repeat that center field is fine as long as Brian Anderson is playing there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're having problems with Brian Anderson's offense in the #9 hole, right?

IlliniSox4Life
06-04-2006, 03:10 PM
So games against Oakland don't count?

Duh! We won those games, they don't count when you are making an argument that this team sucks!

caulfield12
06-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Kindly point out to many how many teams have won the World Series with anyone in their starting line-up hitting under .200?

Of course, it's easy to pick on Anderson now that we're in 2nd and we can no longer laugh off his prolonged slump. 10 BA supporters will say that he should play tomorrow due to his 2 hop single today. Those were probably some of the same people who got mad when people said, how can we expect Royce Clayton and Mark Johnson to contribute anything to the offense? Well, BA can't be expected to carry the offense, but not killing it would be nice, at least occasionally. No doubt, Mackowiak will be exposed as a bench player the more he plays, especially defensively. So KW needs to go out and get Torii Hunter for the rest of this season, problem solved.

Bottom line, the starting pitching is horribly inconsistent, the bullpen is half as good as the starters, and we cannot execute fundamentally.

OG is right....Iguchi, Pods, Cintron, Uribe, Anderson....if those guys don't do the little things, Thome, Dye and Konerko can hit 125 homers combined and it won't matter one bit.

MadetoOrta
06-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Basically, we stink right now. We look like the 2003 and 2004 versions. The good news is its June and KW has much in the arsenal. I like BA, but I remember Jeff Abbot too.

caulfield12
06-04-2006, 03:17 PM
6-7 doesn't sound bad, does it? But anyone who has suffered through the 3-7 over the couple of weeks doesn't care much about Oakland anymore at this point.

Maybe those three games will be the difference in the end in making the playoffs or not, but our team has officially been exposed during these last two weeks. It might have started when we missed that double play against the Cubs and didn't get the sweep...the Toronto losses with seemingly thousands in scoring position....Buehrle AND Contreras giving up 3 run leads in the same week.

Politte is toast. Anderson is getting close. KW is going to have to make a deal.

getonbckthr
06-04-2006, 03:18 PM
I hate to have to repeat that center field is fine as long as Brian Anderson is playing there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're having problems with Brian Anderson's offense in the #9 hole, right?
Yes considering Uribe is struggling, Thome is hurt, we aren't moving runners over and when we do we don't drive them in. So we can play Mack in CF to somewhat help those situations. By doing that we heavily weaken our defense to the point where Mack being out there has caused us at least 3 games probably more. In my eyes we have 3 options: A) help the offense and play Mack, B) secure the defense and play Anderson, C) trade for someone who can both produce at the plate and play solid defense. Is our bullpen pitching like ****, yes. However I feel more comfortable with our pen fixing their problems opposed to either Brian finding his swing or Mack learning to play Cf in this season.

ilsox7
06-04-2006, 03:19 PM
6-7 doesn't sound bad, does it? But anyone who has suffered through the 3-7 over the couple of weeks doesn't care much about Oakland anymore at this point.

Maybe those three games will be the difference in the end in making the playoffs or not, but our team has officially been exposed during these last two weeks. It might have started when we missed that double play against the Cubs and didn't get the sweep...the Toronto losses with seemingly thousands in scoring position....Buehrle AND Contreras giving up 3 run leads in the same week.

Politte is toast. Anderson is getting close. KW is going to have to make a deal.

Just like we were exposed last August? Good teams go through bad stretches. The key is how long they stay in those stretches.

Frater Perdurabo
06-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Yes considering Uribe is struggling, Thome is hurt, we aren't moving runners over and when we do we don't drive them in. So we can play Mack in CF to somewhat help those situations. By doing that we heavily weaken our defense to the point where Mack being out there has caused us at least 3 games probably more. In my eyes we have 3 options: A) help the offense and play Mack, B) secure the defense and play Anderson, C) trade for someone who can both produce at the plate and play solid defense. Is our bullpen pitching like ****, yes. However I feel more comfortable with our pen fixing their problems opposed to either Brian finding his swing or Mack learning to play Cf in this season.

If the rest of the offense wasn't struggling and if Thome wasn't hurt right now, it would mask the troubles Brian has had in the #9 spot. Improving the #9 spot does not fix the recent offensive woes and it doesn't fix the bullpen that too often pours gasoline on the fire.

caulfield12
06-04-2006, 03:21 PM
We're going to go to our graves this season with BA apologists saying, if only we left him out there to start ever game, even though he was hitting in the .160's, we would have won the pennant...of course, another group will be saying we would have won it all with Rowand instead of Thome, LOL.

Mackowiak also won a couple of games with his bat. Don't discount that. You simply cannot afford a one-dimensional player in the AL, and we're pretty close to having two with Uribe's season so far.

MarySwiss
06-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Just like we were exposed last August? Good teams go through bad stretches. The key is how long they stay in those stretches.
Yup. Meanwhile, we still have the 2nd best record in baseball--and for anyone who really believes the Kitties can maintain...well, they have to beat us at least once before I begin to take them seriously.

getonbckthr
06-04-2006, 03:24 PM
So KW needs to go out and get Torii Hunter for the rest of this season, problem solved.

Torii Hunter is batting .262, not to mention he makes 11 million this season and 13 next year. Factor in you will have to give prospects to a division rival, and there is no guarentee that the Twins would even consider an inter-division deal unless they would get top of the line prospects in return and not be expected to contribute any money.

getonbckthr
06-04-2006, 03:26 PM
If the rest of the offense wasn't struggling and if Thome wasn't hurt right now, it would mask the troubles Brian has had in the #9 spot. Improving the #9 spot does not fix the recent offensive woes and it doesn't fix the bullpen that too often pours gasoline on the fire.
Ya but if we can get someone who can play a solid defense with a positive contribution offensively then all of a sudden the masked, struggling #9 hitter in there cause of his defense is Uribe.

caulfield12
06-04-2006, 03:27 PM
There's no doubt we are a GOOD team this season.

OTOH, there is definitely something missing. That belief you could come behind and win every game...that every run counted....that you were going to hold the lead whenever Politte, Cotts, Hermanson and eventually Jenks were in the game. Last year's team had that edge and hunger.

We're playing like a GOOD but not great team on the road. We certainly have the talent to be above .500 on the road...we still have, on paper, the best starting staff in the majors, and that alone keeps us competitive down to the last week.

We've lost our identities as underachievers coming into this season as the frontrunners and the hunted.

Maybe Detroit's streak occuring at the same time will end up saving us when all is said and done, as we deserve to be 5-6 games back the way that we have played.

oeo
06-04-2006, 03:28 PM
We're going to go to our graves this season with BA apologists saying, if only we left him out there to start ever game, even though he was hitting in the .160's, we would have won the pennant...of course, another group will be saying we would have won it all with Rowand instead of Thome, LOL.

Mackowiak also won a couple of games with his bat. Don't discount that. You simply cannot afford a one-dimensional player in the AL, and we're pretty close to having two with Uribe's season so far.
We're not losing games because of our offense. We're losing games because of terrible pitching and defense. We're putting up better offensive numbers than last year, but we're stinking it up when it comes to getting the big outs and making good/routine plays in the field. So I can't exactly say I can blame much on Brian. He's been one of the only consistent defensive players on the team this year.

ilsox7
06-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Maybe Detroit's streak occuring at the same time will end up saving us when all is said and done, as we deserve to be 5-6 games back the way that we have played.

This statement completely discounts the first 6 weeks of the season. This "what have you done for me lately" attitude is an awful way to look at things. Coming in to today's action, one team had less losses than the Sox.

caulfield12
06-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Not quite Mary.

Detroit and Boston are ahead of us, the Cardinals probably will be at the end of the day. The Yanks are tied at this moment, will be 1-2 back after they officially lose.

Arizona will be tied with us too. The Blue Jays are going to be around until the end of the season too...not to mention the Mets are tied with us as well.

Frater Perdurabo
06-04-2006, 03:31 PM
...someone who can play a solid defense with a positive contribution offensively...

Who? Vernon Wells? Carl Crawford? Johnny Damon?

Slick fielding, sharp hitting center fielders don't grow on trees.

Torii Hunter is not the answer, even if the Twins would give him to a division rival for less than a king's ransom. Corey Patterson is not the answer, either.

caulfield12
06-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Well, then there is no answer. I will leave it to KW to sort it out, because he's the one paid to make those decisions....he knew coming into the season with BA and the bullpen as it was constructed was a calculated risk.

Heck, the biggest risk of all, Thome, has been the one that has worked out the best. Think of how we would be sitting if Thome was a shell of his former self and we were stuck with that contract for three years?

oeo
06-04-2006, 03:36 PM
Not quite Mary.

Detroit and Boston are ahead of us, the Cardinals probably will be at the end of the day. The Yanks are tied at this moment, will be 1-2 back after they officially lose.

Arizona will be tied with us too. The Blue Jays are going to be around until the end of the season too...not to mention the Mets are tied with us as well.

It's June 4th, and the Sox have not played well at all lately. If they would have played their best baseball up until this slump, and we were 4+ games ahead of Detroit still, you wouldn't be so worried about the standings, right? Well, why worry about them right now? We're right there with the league's best in terms of record, while we have not seen the best this team can do and we haven't exactly played great baseball over the last 10-15 games. They're not going to play like this the rest of the year, and when they get hot again, you will all be talking about a dynasty. Get over the standings right now, there are still a lot of teams in the "race" that will not be in there in the end. There's still a lot of baseball to be played and we're in a good position as it stands right now.

gobears1987
06-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Did you know that the Sox are winless in games they lost?

IA_soxfan
06-04-2006, 04:30 PM
There's no doubt we are a GOOD team this season.

OTOH, there is definitely something missing. That belief you could come behind and win every game...that every run counted....that you were going to hold the lead whenever Politte, Cotts, Hermanson and eventually Jenks were in the game. Last year's team had that edge and hunger.

We're playing like a GOOD but not great team on the road. We certainly have the talent to be above .500 on the road...we still have, on paper, the best starting staff in the majors, and that alone keeps us competitive down to the last week.

We've lost our identities as underachievers coming into this season as the frontrunners and the hunted.

Step off the ledge, dude. You are reminding me of the insecure, chronically worried protagonist that shares your name. Like a previous poster said, even great teams take their lumps from time to time. Remember last year's NL champs? The main reason we've been losing lately is that our SPs have looked like crap. Its an abberration, they'll return to form soon, Thome will come back, and we'll leave the Tigers and everybody else in the rearview mirror.

:darkclouds:
:chickenlittle

SoxandtheCityTee
06-04-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm just posting to officially become a charter member of the Brian Anderson supporters. Frater and oeo have said it all and well, in this and other threads. It's easy to focus on BA's BA, but it isn't lack of production out of the nine spot that has cost us game after game.

Beautox
06-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Kindly point out to many how many teams have won the World Series with anyone in their starting line-up hitting under .200?

Of course, it's easy to pick on Anderson now that we're in 2nd and we can no longer laugh off his prolonged slump. 10 BA supporters will say that he should play tomorrow due to his 2 hop single today. Those were probably some of the same people who got mad when people said, how can we expect Royce Clayton and Mark Johnson to contribute anything to the offense? Well, BA can't be expected to carry the offense, but not killing it would be nice, at least occasionally. No doubt, Mackowiak will be exposed as a bench player the more he plays, especially defensively. So KW needs to go out and get Torii Hunter for the rest of this season, problem solved.

Bottom line, the starting pitching is horribly inconsistent, the bullpen is half as good as the starters, and we cannot execute fundamentally.

OG is right....Iguchi, Pods, Cintron, Uribe, Anderson....if those guys don't do the little things, Thome, Dye and Konerko can hit 125 homers combined and it won't matter one bit.

I highly doubt we get Torii Hunter, when was the last time a trade happened in this division amongst rivals? and what would we have to give up to get the likes of Torii Hunter? Anderson/Broadway/Fields/Rogo/Harrell/Lumsden/Haeger/Sweeny, thats the cream of our farm system if I'm not mistaken. Now would you really want the likes of Josh Fields or Lance Broadway to come back and haunt us in the same Division? i wouldn't which makes Tampa Bay and Baltimore all the better as far as trading partners go.

Corey Patterson from the O's, or Carl Crawford from TB, Patterson is a FA after this year and is finally living up to his potential.

Corey went 2-4 today, both singles, no strikes outs or BB, but he did steal 2 bases, first second and then third. thats now 25SB/1CS and 8 straight games in which he stole a base.

Crawford hurt his knee and is day to day.
http://tampabay.devilrays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060603&content_id=1486481&vkey=news_tb&fext=.jsp&c_id=tb

i have no problems dealing our prospects to either one of those teams because only 4% of prospects make it to the show, and they're not in our division so it wouldn't come back to haunt us too much.

Chips
06-04-2006, 06:38 PM
It's easy to focus on BA's BA, but it isn't lack of production out of the nine spot that has cost us game after game.

Exactly, it's the ****ty way our pitchers have been pitching lately.

Beautox
06-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Who? Vernon Wells? Carl Crawford? Johnny Damon?

Slick fielding, sharp hitting center fielders don't grow on trees.

Torii Hunter is not the answer, even if the Twins would give him to a division rival for less than a king's ransom. Corey Patterson is not the answer, either.

How is Corey Patterson not the answer? please do tell. Is it because hes a former cub? or a first round bust? or club house cancer? or something along those lines? because I'm pretty sure this team coming into last year was made up of characters along those lines.

AJ was "cancer"
PK was supposed to be the next Dodger ROY
DYE was snake bitten and left forgotten.
Crede up until after his injury hadn't lived up to his potential much like the aforementioned Patterson.

so enlighten me as to why Corey Patterson isn't the answer?

because hes defiantly a slick fielding CF, and a 5-tool player.

Beautox
06-04-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm just posting to officially become a charter member of the Brian Anderson supporters. Frater and oeo have said it all and well, in this and other threads. It's easy to focus on BA's BA, but it isn't lack of production out of the nine spot that has cost us game after game.

that and the fact we don't have a real CF, its a catch 22 with Anderson and Mackowiak, one can hit and one can field but you can't have both occupy the same space at the same time. Mackowiak has cost some games with his shotty D but he also won us a game against Oakland so it is what it is, but Mackowiak is the definition of a streaky hitter and when he cools down people will be calling for his head as he misreads balls left and right.

ilsox7
06-04-2006, 06:52 PM
How is Corey Patterson not the answer? please do tell. Is it because hes a former cub? or a first round bust? or club house cancer? or something along those lines? because I'm pretty sure this team coming into last year was made up of characters along those lines.

AJ was "cancer"
PK was supposed to be the next Dodger ROY
DYE was snake bitten and left forgotten.
Crede up until after his injury hadn't lived up to his potential much like the aforementioned Patterson.

so enlighten me as to why Corey Patterson isn't the answer?

because hes defiantly a slick fielding CF, and a 5-tool player.

Might have to do with the fact that his career numbers before April 1, 2006 were pretty awful.

Beautox
06-04-2006, 06:55 PM
hes also only 26, 2 years older than BA.

ShoelessJoeS
06-04-2006, 07:10 PM
I hate to have to repeat that center field is fine as long as Brian Anderson is playing there.I hear ya. His hitting woes do not have an effect on the crappy pitching we've had. However, some, but not all, of those pitching woes can be explained by the crappy defense that Mack displays in center. So stick BA in center, where he belongs. Use Mack as a pinch hitter in late innings if need be. This platoon **** depending on the dexterity of the opposing pitcher is killing me, and our team.

oeo
06-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Brian is quietly improving. The results may not be showing yet, but he's been hitting the ball hard, just right at guys. He's giving better AB's and he's making better contact, it's going to pay off. I seriously think he's going to be a fan favorite by the end of the year, and we will look back at these conversations about getting a new centerfielder, and laugh.

Beautox
06-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Brian is quietly improving. The results may not be showing yet, but he's been hitting the ball hard, just right at guys. He's giving better AB's and he's making better contact, it's going to pay off. I seriously think he's going to be a fan favorite by the end of the year, and we will look back at these conversations about getting a new centerfielder, and laugh.

I truly hope your right, Brian definatly has all 5-tools and is amazing in CF, but i dont know if the front office is going to wait for him to turn it around at the plate like Crede, were defending world champs.

infohawk
06-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Truer words were never spoken. It's the pitching guys. The starters will come around. The bullpen needs repair but not a complete overhall.

Ol' No. 2
06-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Brian is quietly improving. The results may not be showing yet, but he's been hitting the ball hard, just right at guys. He's giving better AB's and he's making better contact, it's going to pay off. I seriously think he's going to be a fan favorite by the end of the year, and we will look back at these conversations about getting a new centerfielder, and laugh.What Brian are you looking at? He had one hit today (finally). That's only his second hit since his BA reached a lofty .187 on May 14 (a span of 25 AB). His two other AB were a popup and a weak grounder. His previous start he was 0-3 with three groundouts. The start before that he was 0-2 with a K and a groundout. So in his last three starts, he's hit ONE ball out of the infield. He's getting worse, not better.

I'll be more than happy to eat my words, but Brian Anderson will never get within shouting distance of a .200 batting average this season. It's only a matter of time before it starts to affect his defense, and after today's game, it may already be starting. The best thing they can do for the kid is to send him down to straighten himself out.

ilsox7
06-04-2006, 09:21 PM
What Brian are you looking at? He had one hit today (finally). That's only his second hit since his BA reached a lofty .187 on May 14 (a span of 25 AB). His two other AB were a popup and a weak grounder. His previous start he was 0-3 with three groundouts. The start before that he was 0-2 with a K and a groundout. So in his last three starts, he's hit ONE ball out of the infield. He's getting worse, not better.

I'll be more than happy to eat my words, but Brian Anderson will never get within shouting distance of a .200 batting average this season. It's only a matter of time before it starts to affect his defense, and after today's game, it may already be starting. The best thing they can do for the kid is to send him down to straighten himself out.

I disagree. He had one hit today up the middle and hit another ball hard to 3rd. The other day (I forget which game) he had a productive out (RBI groundout) and also hit another ball on the screws to the left side of the infield. Again, we're talking about a guy who was barely making contact a couple of weeks ago. He is at least putting the ball in play and hitting it hard at times. That's improvement, IMO. Nothing to write home about, but baby steps.

I also think if he stays in the big leagues all year, he ends up around .210-.220. But we shall see.

FedEx227
06-04-2006, 10:30 PM
How can people legitmately say Anderson should be put down in AAA. I'm sorry, but hes our best defensive outfield. Yes he didn't cover right behind Ozuna today... but eh... maybe if Ozuna could read a damn ball off the bat, or have any reaction time whatsoever he wouldn't need to go diving three times during the game, blowing two of the chances and having the ball roll towards Anderson.

Even more, Anderson saved two runs, one through his diving catch and another throwing over to 3rd to hold the tagging runner. You could even make a claim for him potentially saving another run on the throw to Widger that was bobbled.

You can say what you want about Anderson screwing up the offense, but we were doing just fine when he was in the everyday lineup. I know Ozuna has a bloated batting average and Mackowiak had a clutch home-run, but Anderson is about as valuable to this team as anybody JUST for his defense.

Remember what we're built on pitching and defense. Anderson doesn't give up 5-6 runs a game but he sure as hell contributes to the defense.

ShoelessJoeS
06-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Couldn't agree more FedEx, but don't forget his 9th inning, 2 strike, 2 out blast off Everyday Eddy!

Ol' No. 2
06-04-2006, 10:39 PM
How can people legitmately say Anderson should be put down in AAA. I'm sorry, but hes our best defensive outfield. Yes he didn't cover right behind Ozuna today... but eh... maybe if Ozuna could read a damn ball off the bat, or have any reaction time whatsoever he wouldn't need to go diving three times during the game, blowing two of the chances and having the ball roll towards Anderson.

Even more, Anderson saved two runs, one through his diving catch and another throwing over to 3rd to hold the tagging runner. You could even make a claim for him potentially saving another run on the throw to Widger that was bobbled.

You can say what you want about Anderson screwing up the offense, but we were doing just fine when he was in the everyday lineup. I know Ozuna has a bloated batting average and Mackowiak had a clutch home-run, but Anderson is about as valuable to this team as anybody JUST for his defense.

Remember what we're built on pitching and defense. Anderson doesn't give up 5-6 runs a game but he sure as hell contributes to the defense.Right. In fact, having Anderson in CF isn't fair to the other teams. We should just have one mini-Anderson and no other outfielders. :rolleyes:

FedEx227
06-04-2006, 10:43 PM
That's not what I said... at all.

I was just implying that its ridiculous for us to feel safe with Mack/Ozuna playing in CF and to undervalue the defensive addition Anderson makes to this team. I know I might not be looking at the best option for the offense, but I was always under the impression that this team was built on pitching, defense and winning close games.

Ol' No. 2
06-04-2006, 10:46 PM
That's not what I said... at all.

I was just implying that its ridiculous for us to feel safe with Mack/Ozuna playing in CF and to undervalue the defensive addition Anderson makes to this team. I know I might not be looking at the best option for the offense, but I was always under the impression that this team was built on pitching, defense and winning close games.And it makes sense to have an automatic out in the lineup? I'm as big a fan of defense as the next guy, but he has to hit at least a little. Too bad the rules don't allow them to DH for Anderson and let the pitcher hit...they'd be better off.

unclegary
06-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Listen all you ledge dwellers. Do you remember the Yankees last year? How about the might Astros? What about the A's who year after year don't start playing ball until August? This is a talented team. They WILL NOT win every game and sometimes they will play like crap because they are a team consisting of human beings and human beings by nature are inconsistant. Do you have bad dayS? Just take a chill pill and be glad you are not a CUBS fan. Take it from Uncle Gary....he is an old guy with wrinkly elbows who knows the truth. And knock off the BA talk. He is not Willie Mays and he never will be. He is who he is. You cannot solve every team problem by importing some high priced player. Ask Steinbrenner.

digdagdug23
06-04-2006, 11:03 PM
And it makes sense to have an automatic out in the lineup? I'm as big a fan of defense as the next guy, but he has to hit at least a little.

Well, technically he has hit a little. His batting average is .159. :rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
06-04-2006, 11:06 PM
I disagree. He had one hit today up the middle and hit another ball hard to 3rd. The other day (I forget which game) he had a productive out (RBI groundout) and also hit another ball on the screws to the left side of the infield. Again, we're talking about a guy who was barely making contact a couple of weeks ago. He is at least putting the ball in play and hitting it hard at times. That's improvement, IMO. Nothing to write home about, but baby steps.

I also think if he stays in the big leagues all year, he ends up around .210-.220. But we shall see.Let's rewind to spring training. Suppose you could get a glimpse into the future and you saw that Anderson would be solid defensively in CF, but wouldn't hit a lick and the best you could hope for would be around the Mendoza line. Would your reaction be:

A) WOO-HOO!!! We have ourselves a center fielder!!!

B) A .160 batting average??? Are you nuts??? Pitchers hit better than that!

I submit to you that virtually no one would have chosen A.

ilsox7
06-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Let's rewind to spring training. Suppose you could get a glimpse into the future and you saw that Anderson would be solid defensively in CF, but wouldn't hit a lick and the best you could hope for would be around the Mendoza line. Would your reaction be:

A) WOO-HOO!!! We have ourselves a center fielder!!!

B) A .160 batting average??? Are you nuts??? Pitchers hit better than that!

Without a doubt, B. I just do not see a viable option to take over playing every day out there right now. That's why I think you'll see BA continue to get playing time through June. If he is still hitting .150, something will happen.

Ol' No. 2
06-04-2006, 11:17 PM
Without a doubt, B. I just do not see a viable option to take over playing every day out there right now. That's why I think you'll see BA continue to get playing time through June. If he is still hitting .150, something will happen.He will be. Not that I think Mackowiak is a long-term solution, but the extra 100+ pts in batting average outweighs the defensive difference in the short term. Up until a week or so ago I was willing to give Anderson more time, but enough's enough. He's had his chance for this year. I certainly hope Kenny is working on a solution sooner rather than later.

ilsox7
06-04-2006, 11:20 PM
He will be. Not that I think Mackowiak is a long-term solution, but the extra 100+ pts in batting average outweighs the defensive difference in the short term. Anderson has had his chance for this year. I certainly hope Kenny is working on a solution sooner rather than later.
We shall see. I don't think it's fair to just assume he will still be hitting .150 in a month. He very well may be, but I saw enough progress this past week to give him another week of similar playing time.

I really think the bottom line with this team, though, is pitching. It needs to step up now. Essentially, the offense has carried the team to its current record. Time for the pitching to round into form. I think the starters will do so, but the bullpen needs another good arm out there. While KW may be looking at CF, I really think the majority of his time right now is spent trying to sort out the bullpen.

peeonwrigley
06-04-2006, 11:27 PM
The pitching has suckity suck sucked lately. If a starter manages to have an outing in which he leaves the team in decent shape, chances are it took him 115 pitches to go 5.2 innings. The bullpen has not stepped up in a stretch where they could have carried the team.

I'm sure KW is watching the CF situation, but IMO the more pressing issue is getting the starters to consistently eat 7 innings so Ozzie can use the bullpen more sparingly and more situationally.

Ol' No. 2
06-05-2006, 09:39 AM
We shall see. I don't think it's fair to just assume he will still be hitting .150 in a month. He very well may be, but I saw enough progress this past week to give him another week of similar playing time.

I really think the bottom line with this team, though, is pitching. It needs to step up now. Essentially, the offense has carried the team to its current record. Time for the pitching to round into form. I think the starters will do so, but the bullpen needs another good arm out there. While KW may be looking at CF, I really think the majority of his time right now is spent trying to sort out the bullpen.I'd agree that the bullpen is a bigger problem, but I think Kenny needs to be working on BOTH. You can't just ignore one because the other is more urgent.