PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have pics or stories from Mccuddy's?!

Thome25
06-04-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm too young to remember even seeing McCuddy's and I was interested in hearing stories or seeing some pics of the old place. Are there any books/magazines or websites out there about McCuddy's

skobabe8
06-04-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm too lazy, but the search button has some info I'm sure. But I'll help ya out:
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/240/2653/640/comiskey11.jpg

JohnBasedowYoda
06-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Looks like they did a good job of keeping people 5 feet away from a building that's being knocked over

Thome25
06-04-2006, 02:09 PM
That's a great pic of McCuddy's. Keep 'em comin!! That pic must've been taken before there was an OSHA....or guardrails and danger tape/orange cones.

Nellie_Fox
06-04-2006, 02:24 PM
I only went in there a couple of times. A lot of great pictures on the walls (if you could get anywhere near them; the place was usually so jammed you couldn't move around) but you had only one beer choice. Old Style. In a can.

SoxFan64
06-04-2006, 04:29 PM
I remember the title floor -- black and white in a early twenty century design.

Maybe because I was closer to the floor than I was to the bar -- but then that's another story...

:gulp::gulp::gulp:

MadetoOrta
06-04-2006, 04:51 PM
September 17, 1983 about 11:30 p.m. drinking beer with Ron Kittle, Julio Cruz and Lamar Hoyt after winning the Western Division. What a night! Uh .... I was 19. LOL!

RadioheadRocks
06-04-2006, 07:05 PM
I only went in there a couple of times. A lot of great pictures on the walls (if you could get anywhere near them; the place was usually so jammed you couldn't move around) but you had only one beer choice. Old Style. In a can.

I first went there in 1986 (my first "legal" spring) and became somewhat of a regular there. Pudi (R.I.P.) and Pat Senese were wonderful to me and even gave me a Luke Appling souvenir keychain from 1950, which I still have proudly on display with my memorabilia collection. I remember the Babe Ruth bat hanging over the bar as well as the myriad photographs all over the place. As you left, there was a "NO CUPS OR CANS ALLOWED OUTSIDE BY ORDER OF POLICE" sign that was modified to say "NO CUBS OR CANS ALLOWED..." (one of these days I'll have to scan some of my pics and post them here). I also remember some of the younger guys who tended bar were pretty cool too (not sure I remember the names correctly... one guy with a buzzcut and mustache named Ed, another guy roughly my age who was going to law school named Kevin, I believe). I also remember they had sandwiches and although the beer was CAN ONLY (like Nellie Fox said), I remember they had quite a few choices including Budweiser, Bud Light, Old Style, Miller Lite and even Moosehead (got that can somewhere in my beer can collection). Ahhhhhh memories!!!

Brian26
06-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Looks like they did a good job of keeping people 5 feet away from a building that's being knocked over

Hahahaha!:D:

TheKittle
06-04-2006, 09:24 PM
I first went there in 1986 (my first "legal" spring) and became somewhat of a regular there. Pudi (R.I.P.) and Pat Senese were wonderful to me and even gave me a Luke Appling souvenir keychain from 1950, which I still have proudly on display with my memorabilia collection. I remember the Babe Ruth bat hanging over the bar as well as the myriad photographs all over the place. As you left, there was a "NO CUPS OR CANS ALLOWED OUTSIDE BY ORDER OF POLICE" sign that was modified to say "NO CUBS OR CANS ALLOWED..." (one of these days I'll have to scan some of my pics and post them here). I also remember some of the younger guys who tended bar were pretty cool too (not sure I remember the names correctly... one guy with a buzzcut and mustache named Ed, another guy roughly my age who was going to law school named Kevin, I believe). I also remember they had sandwiches and although the beer was CAN ONLY (like Nellie Fox said), I remember they had quite a few choices including Budweiser, Bud Light, Old Style, Miller Lite and even Moosehead (got that can somewhere in my beer can collection). Ahhhhhh memories!!!

Moosehead Beer in a can? I've never seen that. Moosehead is a damn good beer.

RadioheadRocks
06-04-2006, 09:51 PM

Yep, was a true rarity! I also etched the date on the bottom of that can for posterity. :cool:

SoxFan64
06-05-2006, 12:16 AM

Obviously not a professional beer drinker.... or at least you have not been in the same drinking places as I have been. Yes, I have had Moosehead in a can.

:gulp::gulp:

It takes some work to keep the antlers out of the way.

:kneeslap: :kneeslap:

Chicago
06-05-2006, 12:20 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/xBOOSTx/McCuddys.jpg

RadioheadRocks
06-05-2006, 12:28 AM
I also remember they had a tent set up in Armour Square Park the morning of the last game at old Comiskey Park (9/30/90); unfortunately that was the last time I saw the Seneses. :(:

TheKittle
06-05-2006, 12:47 AM
Obviously not a professional beer drinker.... or at least you have not been in the same drinking places as I have been. Yes, I have had Moosehead in a can.

:gulp::gulp:

It takes some work to keep the antlers out of the way.

:kneeslap: :kneeslap:

Two letters for you. A A

MILTMAY5
06-05-2006, 02:02 AM
I've always thought the Bullpen sports bar should renamed McCuddy's in honour of the original.

Nellie_Fox
06-05-2006, 02:39 AM
I've always thought the Bullpen sports bar should renamed McCuddy's in honour of the original.I would suspect the McCuddy family would sue.

Thome25
06-05-2006, 06:29 AM
Thanks to everyone for all of the great pics and stories so far. Like I said before. Keep 'em comin. I know McCuddy's was across the street from the old park but, where was it exactly in relation to the old park and where was it in relation to The Cell.

Thome25
06-05-2006, 06:32 AM
Someone should email Brooks about opening a Mcuddy's II. It could be inside the park or outside doesn't matter. They've been taking input from us about all the changes to The Cell maybe we should tell them that we want another McCuddy's.

tebman
06-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Someone should email Brooks about opening a Mcuddy's II. It could be inside the park or outside doesn't matter. They've been taking input from us about all the changes to The Cell maybe we should tell them that we want another McCuddy's.

This came up about a year ago in this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=695328#post695328). I forwarded some information on McCuddy's to Brooks Boyer that SoxBoy14 had posted. I don't have a copy of Brooks' response here, but he thanked me for the information. He said he wasn't aware of McCuddy's or the stories about it.

My guess is that it's probably a legal/licensing headache to use the name on another place in or near the ballpark. The more years that go by the fewer people remember it, so there might not be worth it to the Sox to pursue doing something with the name.

But I'm guessing on all this -- and I've been wrong before. :tongue:

miker
06-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Where, in relation to the new stadium, was McCuddy's? (And don't say "underneath!") It was torn down right before my serious tavern-attending years had begun.

Maybe we can put up a historical marker or something?

SouthSide_HitMen
06-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Where, in relation to the new stadium, was McCuddy's? (And don't say "underneath!") It was torn down right before my serious tavern-attending years had begun.

Maybe we can put up a historical marker or something?

It would be near the outer wall on the 3rd base side (on 35th Street). If Princeton still ran through to 35th it would be on the South East corner of 35th & Princeton IIRC. Spent many pre games at McCuddy's (before I was legal to drink there :(: ).

Jacob Nelson Fox
06-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Most times we couldn't get into McCuddy's because it was too crowded, but there was another bar right there that usually had room. I can't remember the name of the place, anyone out there that does?

DannyCaterFan
06-05-2006, 07:35 PM
I think the bar right next door to McCuddy's was called O'Briens. I could be wrong though.

jackbrohamer
06-05-2006, 07:46 PM
I think the bar right next door to McCuddy's was called O'Briens. I could be wrong though.

I think it was called Danny O'Brien's.

tick53
06-05-2006, 09:10 PM
I used to go there before every game. Great place for a pre game libation and a chance to mingle with fellow Sox fans. Cold beer and great cameraderie! It was sad to see the destruction photos posted here at the
Flying Sock, but I'm glad they're here. Thanks you to those who put them there.
I heard Babe Ruth liked McCuddys too!:smile:

tick53
06-05-2006, 09:13 PM
This came up about a year ago in this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=695328#post695328). I forwarded some information on McCuddy's to Brooks Boyer that SoxBoy14 had posted. I don't have a copy of Brooks' response here, but he thanked me for the information. He said he wasn't aware of McCuddy's or the stories about it.

My guess is that it's probably a legal/licensing headache to use the name on another place in or near the ballpark. The more years that go by the fewer people remember it, so there might not be worth it to the Sox to pursue doing something with the name.

But I'm guessing on all this -- and I've been wrong before. :tongue:

I remember reading that one.

tick53
06-05-2006, 09:19 PM
I remember the title floor -- black and white in a early twenty century design.

Maybe because I was closer to the floor than I was to the bar -- but then that's another story...

:gulp::gulp::gulp:

How about the little beergarden outside in the back?:cool:

Save McCuddy's
06-07-2006, 10:14 PM
How about the little beergarden outside in the back?:cool:

As a tyke, I used to play soccer with a crushed beer can in that beer garden.

In 1979, Ma McCuddy took down the Bambino's bat that was displayed behind the bar and let my cousin and I attempt to hold and swing it. I was not yet ten and can still rember how ridiculously huge that lumber was.

I love this team and am cherishing the 2005 title, but I can't even imagine how much richer the celebration would have been at the baseball palace. The upper tier would likely have fallen into the diamond that place rocked so hard. Anyone doubting my opinion can ask long time Bulls fans about the difference between Finals games at the Old Barn and those played at the plastic center.

AZChiSoxFan
06-08-2006, 03:10 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/xBOOSTx/McCuddys.jpg

Great picture. What corner was McCuddy's on and what direction are you looking in this picture?

I never knew the place was that small.

AZChiSoxFan
06-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Sorry about that. I guess I should read the entire thread before posting a question that's already been answered. :redface:

ode to veeck
06-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Most times we couldn't get into McCuddy's because it was too crowded, but there was another bar right there that usually had room. I can't remember the name of the place, anyone out there that does?

O'Briens, which was usually just as crowded at pre-game time, It's the one with the budweiser sign in the photo in this thread across the alley

ode to veeck
06-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Great picture. What corner was McCuddy's on and what direction are you looking in this picture?

I never knew the place was that small.

It was on the alley, not a corner, on the north side of 35th street right across from Comiskey Park (about middle of right field line side)

Babe Ruth was one of the many ball players who was a regular; he sometimes even quaffed beer during games

FielderJones
06-08-2006, 04:01 PM
It was on the alley, not a corner, on the north side of 35th street right across from Comiskey Park (about middle of right field line side)

Ummm, I think Comiskey Park was on the north side of 35th Street.

ode to veeck
06-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Ummm, I think Comiskey Park was on the north side of 35th Street.

you're right, I am directionally dislexic

sageofthesox
06-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks to all for rekindling fond memories of both McCuddy's and Danny O'Brien's.

Just west of O'Brien's was an outdoor foodstand with a walk-up counter. They had great burgers. Does anyone remember its name?

Save McCuddy's
06-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks to all for rekindling fond memories of both McCuddy's and Danny O'Brien's.

Just west of O'Brien's was an outdoor foodstand with a walk-up counter. They had great burgers. Does anyone remember its name?

No, but I do recall that the draw at O'Brien's was air conditioning. McCuddy's was an oven while the sun was still out.