PDA

View Full Version : To talk the talk, you'd better walk the walk...

Grzegorz
06-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Or, "I told them if we play like Little Leaguers, we'll be treated like Little Leaguers"

The first step is to despise losing and working as hard as you can to avoid it.

Way to go Ozzie, get those guys out there working on the fundamentals.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0606040258jun04,1,6928436.story

SBSoxFan
06-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Yes, except Ozuna must be wondering what he did to get put in with that group. :smile:

Lip Man 1
06-04-2006, 01:04 PM
There's actually a little more to the quote.

"If we play like Little Leaguers, we'll be treated like Little Leaguers. To me, it's embarrassing to come to early batting practice, but they understand. I don't say anything [publicly] I don't say to them.

"I feel if we don't do it (play fundamental baseball), we won't win, it's not the instructional league here, but somehow, we have to get it done. I expect this team to finish first [in the American League Central]. We're relying on home runs because we're not executing [offensively]. We won [last year] because we did little things right.'' --Ozzie Guillen to the Sun-Times Tony Gianitti.

VIVA OZZIE! About time!!!

Lip

Grzegorz
06-04-2006, 09:27 PM
There's actually a little more to the quote.

Thanks, I've been on other boards that frown upon cutting and pasting directly from a newspaper.

I just wanted to post the teaser and then direct the user to the link.

I totally agree with Ozzie; who wouldn't at this point? He has to be pretty disappointed right now...

thomas35forever
06-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Thank you, Ozzie. Your rant in Toronto didn't exactly work. Hopefully, this one will even though it's not actually a rant and more of a quote.

Lip Man 1
06-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Greg:

WSI is concerned about posting entire articles due to potential copyright violations. (And rightfully so, we don't need this site shut down by the Tribune or someone...)

However you can post smaller sections of the story, roughly 10%. That quote was part of a very long story on the lack of performance by the team particularly since May 10th.

So it's fine.

Appreciate you showing concern though and erring on the side of caution.

And by the way I hope Ozzie keeps ripping them a new one until they start playing better. He's right...this ISN'T the Little League or the triple A Royals for that matter.

Lip

TomParrish79
06-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Ozzie is right, this team looks like most of the "Pre-Ozzie" teams that rely on the home run and score alot of runs in one inning and then dont get a hit for the rest of the game. Last year we made things happen and scored in almost every inning and still managed to hit alot of homeruns, we also moved guys over and then got them in...which is something that hasnt happened much this year.

Now one thing people are gonna have to deal with is that our starting pitching isnt gonna be like it was in the ALCS or World Series every game this season. And we cant expect Ozzie to rip these guys a new one after every losing streak, eventually the players become immune to that stuff and it loses value.

I know we are gonna get back on track, but I hope we mix in a little more ball that we played last year with our power. It was that mix last year that made it all work.

And I have full confidence that Ozzie will get them back to doing what it takes to win.

Huisj
06-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Yes, except Ozuna must be wondering what he did to get put in with that group. :smile:

Maybe Guillen used him as the example and said "Pablo, show them how it's done . . . now why can't the rest of you do that?" Only he probably used slightly more colorful language.

esbrechtel
06-05-2006, 06:35 PM
i love the palehose VI about this....its priceless....

paciorek1983
06-05-2006, 06:53 PM
That's what I like to hear, when it needs to be said. Now, these guys better get out there and do it. We're a better team than what has been going on lately. And if wer're not that better team, then get some guys in here that are better.