PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think we'd be better off...

cws05champ
06-04-2006, 08:01 AM
With McCarthy in the 5th spot of the rotation, El Duque and Vizcano in the bullpen and Chris Young in CF? Hind sight is 20/20, but with our BP and BA struggling these days it's hard not to see what might have been.

I guess we should give Vazquez the benefit of the whole year before we make this comment.

Talk amongst yourselves....

illini81887
06-04-2006, 08:07 AM
No.. El Deque didnt want to be in the bullpen

Tragg
06-04-2006, 08:17 AM
With McCarthy in the 5th spot of the rotation, El Duque and Vizcano in the bullpen and Chris Young in CF? Hind sight is 20/20, but with our BP and BA struggling these days it's hard not to see what might have been.
Perhaps. We paid a high talent price for Vasquez and I'd like to see him pitch accordingy.

Banix12
06-04-2006, 09:03 AM
The only guy on that list that would be a clear upgrade over what we have would be Vizcaino in the pen.

I'm actually pretty cool with the outcome of that trade. McCarthy has struggled a bit in the pen as of late but I don't think it's going to be a permanent struggle. I don't think it would be a given that he would be better than Vazquez in the rotation.

If Chris Young were still on the sox he would still be behind Brian Anderson on the depth chart so it's hard to say he would even be playing on the MLB team if he were here. As I recall he was also injured a bit in spring training though who knows if that would have happened here.

Brian26
06-04-2006, 11:08 AM
The thought has crossed my mind to consider where this team would be with the same cast as the '05 team (Rowand, Carl, Marte, Viz, Duque) and without Thome and Vazquez, but really its just a pointless exercise. What's done is done.

DickAllen72
06-04-2006, 11:34 AM

If El Duque would have accepted a role as bullpen/emergency starter, definitely yes. But Duque wanted to remain a starter.

TheOldRoman
06-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Vazquez has been good, but you haven't seen anything yet from him. He has the best stuff on the staff. By the end of the season he will be right up there with Contreras, maybe even better.

McCarthy has had a rough go of it, but I like him in the bullpen. El Duque whined because he didn't want to be in the bullpen. He would have gone on the DL once or twice during the season. On top of that, Herndandez is having a crappy year.

I agree with the poster who said the only good player we lost in that deal was Vizcaino. The deal was good, and it will only get better.

Thome25
06-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Young isn't ready yet, he's still in the minors. El Duque is only 3-5 with a big fat 6.19 era with the Mets/D'backs and Vizcaino is the only one doing well right now he's 2-2 with a 2.54 era.

I'd keep things the way they are right now, wouldn't change a thing. I believe Vazquez is gonna pay dividends over the course of a full season and it's only a matter of time before Vizcaino starts pouring gasoline all over the fires he supposed to be putting out for the D'backs.

INSox56
06-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Funny about vizcaino and marte...both are gone and both have sub 3 eras with their respective clubs. Almost am tempted to say it'd be good to have them back, but after their performances last year, who'd have thought they'd be even decent this year?

Frater Perdurabo
06-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Funny about vizcaino and marte...both are gone and both have sub 3 eras with their respective clubs...

respective NATIONAL LEAGUE clubs, that is...

Their ERA's would be at least a full point higher in the American League in an "average" year when the NL and AL are relatively "equal." But the AL is much, much stronger than the NL this year (as it has been for a few years now). I'll bet their ERAs would be almost two points higher if they were pitching in the American League in 2006.

ondafarm
06-05-2006, 09:39 AM
The only guy on that list that would be a clear upgrade over what we have would be Vizcaino in the pen.

I'm actually pretty cool with the outcome of that trade. McCarthy has struggled a bit in the pen as of late but I don't think it's going to be a permanent struggle. I don't think it would be a given that he would be better than Vazquez in the rotation.

If Chris Young were still on the sox he would still be behind Brian Anderson on the depth chart so it's hard to say he would even be playing on the MLB team if he were here. As I recall he was also injured a bit in spring training though who knows if that would have happened here.

I think McCarthy has pitched like a starter in the pen, but I don't advocate moving him into the rotation right now.

White Sox Randy
06-05-2006, 10:41 AM
This trade will take atleast 3 or 4 more years to truly evaluate. However, if we win the WS again, the evaluation is over.

twsoxfan5
06-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Interesting, I never thought about it that way. I would love to see what Young would be able to do for us in CF.

voodoochile
06-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Interesting, I never thought about it that way. I would love to see what Young would be able to do for us in CF.

Well, he's not playing for the DBacks, so he obviously isn't THAT amazing...

regionsox73
06-05-2006, 11:26 AM
I never had much confidence in him and he never had to pitch in big games last year. He never really was depended on for a winner- he was not used much by Oakland in 2001 then went to Milwaukee where there is not as much pressure to win for a .500, 3rd place club. Granted it was a year ago, but I don't remember him in many key situations but rather a mop up role. We had Politte who was lights out, Hermanson until July or so, Jenks came on, Cotts, even Marte.

Right now he is an upgrade over Politte, but no one could have seen his meltdown coming. El Duque had the injury bug and you needed to shore up that 5th spot and Vazquez is 7-3. No problem with that.

Lip Man 1
06-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Young broke his hand or wrist in spring training for the D-backs. I don't recall how long the injury was supposed to keep him out.

Lip