PDA

View Full Version : Jenks' hat

DumpJerry
06-04-2006, 01:44 AM
Well, it is clear that Big Bad Bobby is superstitious. Hat not only still has the white chalk mark on the back from last year's Game 4, but you can see some serious sweat stains all around the hat.

Wonder if he buys into that underwear superstition.....

JohnBasedowYoda
06-04-2006, 02:01 AM
I'll bite.

Not sure if it's the same hat...but he's on recrd saying that the stuff on the back is rosen.

As far as the undies go.......we'll never know....and never should.

RIP Thread.

Scottiehaswheels
06-04-2006, 02:04 AM
I hope its not... I mean my hats reek after about 3 months of just sitting at the games watching them(hence I get a new hat every 2-3 months :D: )... Bobby's hat would smell worse than a sewage plant if thats the case

Nellie_Fox
06-04-2006, 02:20 AM
His name is Jenks, not Jenk. Therefore, the correct possessive would be either Jenks' or Jenks's, depending on the style manual you are following, but definitely not Jenk's.

This is coming from someone whose last name ends in an "s" and have had people put an apostrophe in front of the "s". Couldn't be more wrong.

oeo
06-04-2006, 03:15 AM
His name is Jenks, not Jenk. Therefore, the correct possessive would be either Jenks' or Jenks's, depending on the style manual you are following, but definitely not Jenk's.

This is coming from someone whose last name ends in an "s" and have had people put an apostrophe in front of the "s". Couldn't be more wrong.
Jenks's is actually correct? I always thought it had to be Jenks'; learn something new everyday.

And that hat has to be somewhat old. Unless he gets those sweat rings everyday, I don't think he gets a new hat very often. I'm sure that thing stinks.

Frontman
06-04-2006, 03:28 AM
Jenks's is actually correct? I always thought it had to be Jenks'; learn something new everyday.

And that hat has to be somewhat old. Unless he gets those sweat rings everyday, I don't think he gets a new hat very often. I'm sure that thing stinks.

Jenks's is NOT correct, that would be just silly.

Either Jenks keeps the same hat since day one of the season, or else the big boy sweats a ton.

Front

ilsox7
06-04-2006, 03:32 AM
Jenks's is NOT correct, that would be just silly.

Either Jenks keeps the same hat since day one of the season, or else the big boy sweats a ton.

Front
Uh, you may want to consult some language manuals before you go telling people they are silly when, in fact, you're the one in the wrong.

Trust the Professor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe#Possessive_form_of_words_ending_in_s)

soxinthecity
06-04-2006, 08:22 AM
Jenks, Jenks' Jenks's Jenk'es,

C'mon Itz baseball, Itz about hav'n phun, theze boardz are hear four phans two injoy dare luv four da gayme, eye sware sometimz some of you get two dam teknickle about It and about the lillest tings.:mad: http://www.fishforums.net/style_emoticons/default/wahey.gif :tongue:

P.S.
Screw the Professor! (the link not the board member)

DumpJerry
06-04-2006, 08:48 AM

Ok, once you send in the new thread, you can't change the title. As you notice, it was almost 2:00 a.m. and I was tired. When I got up this morning, I was thinking about the name of the thread and realized that there was a strong possibility that I misplaced the apostrophe. I was ready to see Kittle42's admonination and I would have said "my cover is blown, I'm a Cub fan," but he has not (yet) caught my error.

If there is any way I can make up for my error, please let me know. Thank you.

Back to the subject at hand, I'm pretty sure it's the same hat he wore last year and will continue to wear until someone other than the Sox wins the World Series.

itsnotrequired
06-04-2006, 09:00 AM
If there is any way I can make up for my error, please let me know. Thank you.

E-mail Brooks.

Brian26
06-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Uh, you may want to consult some language manuals before you go telling people they are silly when, in fact, you're the one in the wrong.

Trust the Professor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe#Possessive_form_of_words_ending_in_s)

Based on what I was taught in grade school, the correct use would be Jenks'.

However, that was 20+ years ago, and language tends to evolve over time.

Based on the link you provided, it appears, at best, it could go either way. My interpretation of that is that there is no set rule, and either Jenks' or Jenks's would be acceptable.

Gavin
06-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Everyone needs to remove the collective stick out of their asses. Fighting over grammar and spelling on a message board is only marginally above trolling.

Steelrod
06-04-2006, 11:15 AM
I'll bite.

Not sure if it's the same hat...but he's on recrd saying that the stuff on the back is rosen.

RIP Thread.
Whatever it takes!

HomeFish
06-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Who was the Cardinals reliever who always wore the same hat, and then one day in the playoffs the umpires made him get a new one because the one he was wearing was no longer red?

Was it Kline?

santo=dorf
06-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Julian Taveras

We've already confrimed a long time ago that the white powder on the back of Bobby Jenk's hat is a result from.....................
http://chaki.chips.jp/seiko/archives/images/2-3-1.jpg

TornLabrum
06-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Everyone needs to remove the collective stick out of their asses. Fighting over grammar and spelling on a message board is only marginally above trolling.

It's a long tradition here, and you're wrong. We prefer to at least look intelligent even if we aren't.

ilsox7
06-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Based on what I was taught in grade school, the correct use would be Jenks'.

However, that was 20+ years ago, and language tends to evolve over time.

Based on the link you provided, it appears, at best, it could go either way. My interpretation of that is that there is no set rule, and either Jenks' or Jenks's would be acceptable.

I was always tahught it would be Jenks'. But it is apparent that both are acceptable (actually I learned this from WSI a while back). I was simply pointing out that the Professor was right when someone said he was wrong.

CLR01
06-04-2006, 01:55 PM
I hope its not... I mean my hats reek after about 3 months of just sitting at the games watching them(hence I get a new hat every 2-3 months :D: )... Bobby's hat would smell worse than a sewage plant if thats the case

It's not, the hat was clean at the beginning of the year.

gobears1987
06-04-2006, 01:58 PM
I'll bite.

RIP Thread.I'd be much happier if no one even mentioned the underwear superstition:angry:

gobears1987
06-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Oh, and Jenks's is a correct way to put it. It looks wierd, but that's how every teacher I had taught it.

Nellie_Fox
06-04-2006, 02:20 PM
It's a long tradition here, and you're wrong. We prefer to at least look intelligent even if we aren't.Apparently, not everyone agrees. Here is the anonymous email I got last night right after I posted:

Are you the biggest **** on WSI or what? You're a ****ing professor at
work, WSI is what you're doing on your ****ing free time. Shut the **** up
with all the bull**** grammar and spell checks, it's a ****ing game you
********er.

i hope my email meets your satisfaction of grammar and spelling, Professor

Warm regards
The rest of WSI posters.I hope the language filters take care of it when it's in the quote box like that. I obviously upset someone a bunch.

CLR01
06-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Apparently, not everyone agrees. Here is the anonymous email I got last night right after I posted:

I hope the language filters take care of it when it's in the quote box like that. I obviously upset someone a bunch.

Would you mind sending myself, or one of the other mods, the email address.

buehrle4cy05
06-04-2006, 02:25 PM
IIRC, Steve Kline didn't wash his hat for years when he was with the Cardinals. He wouldn't even let his kids touch it, fearing they would get a disease.

Nellie_Fox
06-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Would you mind sending myself, or one of the other mods, the email address.Ah, that'd probably just make the situation worse.

TornLabrum
06-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Not if they're permanently banned for harassment. You shouldn't have to put up with that kind of bull****.

Edward
06-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Ah, that'd probably just make the situation worse.

Can you match the IP with someone that posts here? Almost like how "Thome's Homie" got nabbed a while back? Just a thought; don't know if that would work or not. :smile:

Back on track, I think Bobby is just a big boy and he probably dirties up his hat very quickly. If it were the same one from the WS they would have had to take off the patch which probably wouldn't fly. If it's the same one from last regular season/ALDS/ALCS then man.... gross. :D:

itsnotrequired
06-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Apparently, not everyone agrees. Here is the anonymous email I got last night right after I posted:

I hope the language filters take care of it when it's in the quote box like that. I obviously upset someone a bunch.

:rolleyes:

I assume the e-mail has convinced you to resign, correct?

thomas35forever
06-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Wonder if he buys into that underwear superstition.....
Never heard of it. What is it?

Brian26
06-04-2006, 05:40 PM
I was always taught it would be Jenks'. But it is apparent that both are acceptable (actually I learned this from WSI a while back).

Same situation here. I was always taught Jenks', but that WSI thread about a year ago (or so) is the first time I had ever seen Jenks's as being acceptable.

Mercy!
06-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Everyone needs to remove the collective stick out of their asses. Fighting over grammar and spelling on a message board is only marginally above trolling. I reckon we'd not find Eats, Shoots, and Leaves on your coffee table, huh?

And, although it's not an issue of grammar or spelling, I'm having trouble visualizing your concept of many asses, but only one stick. How does that work?

DumpJerry
06-04-2006, 07:20 PM

Oh my. I'm sorry my spelling error resulted in you getting this juvenile crap. Whoever sent it really needs to take a deep breath.

beckett21
06-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Who was the Cardinals reliever who always wore the same hat, and then one day in the playoffs the umpires made him get a new one because the one he was wearing was no longer red?

Was it Kline?

Yes it was Kline.

I remember seeing a segment about the hat. It was disgusting. He even used to spit on it; I don't want to imagine what else he may have done to it. :o:

Chips
06-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Ok, once you send in the new thread, you can't change the title. As you notice, it was almost 2:00 a.m. and I was tired.

And you had a Fat Tire at the tavern or at least most of it:tongue:

RowanDye
06-04-2006, 07:44 PM
I reckon we'd not find Eats, Shoots, and Leaves on your coffee table, huh?

And, although it's not an issue of grammar or spelling, I'm having trouble visualizing your concept of many asses, but only one stick. How does that work?

The title of the book is actually Eats, Shoots & Leaves. There's no second comma. :tongue:

DumpJerry
06-04-2006, 07:46 PM
And you had a Fat Tire at the tavern or at least most of it:tongue:
Now we're getting to the bottom of it!
Guilty as charged.
BTW, that was no mere "tavern," it was Puffer's!:D:

Chisox003
06-04-2006, 07:47 PM
I've been vending with the same Sox hat since I started in 2004.

I honestly don't know what color it is, but it sure isn't black anymore :o:

Mercy!
06-04-2006, 08:14 PM
The title of the book is actually Eats, Shoots & Leaves. There's no second comma. :tongue: Thank's!

And, perhaps just as importantly, theres' that ampersand, as well.

Thanks', again.

DumpJerry
06-04-2006, 09:27 PM
The title of the book is actually Eats, Shoots & Leaves. There's no second comma. :tongue:
There should not be a comma after "Shoots." If you have three or more items before "and" or "&," then a comma separates the item before the "and or "&" and the "and" or "&."
i.e: Mike, Sue and Pete. Mike, Sue, Pete, and Ozzie.

Chips
06-04-2006, 09:29 PM
I think there has been more grammar posts than posts about Bobby's hat.

ilsox7
06-04-2006, 09:33 PM
There should not be a comma after "Shoots." If you have three or more items before "and" or "&," then a comma separates the item before the "and or "&" and the "and" or "&."
i.e: Mike, Sue and Pete. Mike, Sue, Pete, and Ozzie.

Actually, both are considered correct. Though it is much more common these days to have a comma before the "and."

Mercy!
06-04-2006, 11:13 PM
i.e: Mike, Sue and Pete. Mike, Sue, Pete, and Ozzie. Well, actually, either of your comma examples might be considered proper depending on what style or usage you follow.

Rowandye was tweaking me because I referred to a title incorrectly. Had the title been Eeets shoots AND leeves then that is how I should have quoted it.

A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air.

"Why?" asks the confused waiter, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

"I'm a panda," he says at the door. "Look it up."

The waiter turns to the relevant entry and, sure enough, finds an explanation.

"Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."

So punctuation really does matter, even if it is only occasionally a matter of life and death.

Eats, Shoots & Leaves Punctuation Game (http://eatsshootsandleaves.com/ESLquiz.html)

DumpJerry
06-04-2006, 11:28 PM
I think there has been more grammar posts than posts about Bobby's hat.
Who's hat?

Mercy!
06-04-2006, 11:37 PM
The hat of who?

Edit: Sorry - the hat of whom?

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Santo=Dorf:

Julian Tavarez had to take off his hat because he had some kinda pine thing on there. He then proceeded to put his arm around the ump and toss his hat to the crowd. What a nutty guy.

Cfad

Iwritecode
06-05-2006, 09:54 AM
there is no set rule

That right there is what is wrong with our language. Sure we have rules, but we rarely follow them... :cool:

Baby Fisk
06-05-2006, 10:16 AM

Wow, just wow. Professor Fox is one of the best posters here. The coward who sent that should think again.