PDA

View Full Version : Guess who signed with the Red Sox!

Spiff
02-04-2002, 05:49 PM
Quilvio Veras!!!

And somebody else.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0204/1322737.html

RedPinStripes
02-04-2002, 05:53 PM
I don't know how to react to that since we are overloaded with outfielders.

MattSharp
02-04-2002, 06:19 PM
Veras never really panned out ever. As for Abbott, I suppose he will be their 5th OF. That's pretty cool. Best of luck to him...

bringbackrobin
02-04-2002, 08:59 PM
This may sound silly, but the Red Sox could do well to make Abbott a platoon DH. Calvin Pickering or Brian Daubach could be played against righties, with Abbott used against lefties.

Or if Manny Ramirez DH's, then Abbott would have only Michael Coleman to beat out for the left field slot. Good luck to him.

duke of dorwood
02-04-2002, 09:29 PM
Abbott can hit. I hated to see him go. I wish him nothing but the best. He's a really nice guy.

CLR01
02-05-2002, 12:40 AM
Are we supposed to be upset about this? Should we complain about KW not going after him.

bringbackrobin
02-05-2002, 01:03 AM
No, we shouldn't be upset (this time). The Sox didn't need him. Its just that we want the guys we used to root for to do well, even if it isn't for the Sox. Unless they're playing the Sox, of course. Or if its Jaime Navarro.

Hell, Robin Ventura is going to make me have to cheer a Yankee. Now that's going to be tough. At least he doesn't play third for the Cubs.

kermittheefrog
02-05-2002, 01:22 AM
I always liked Jeff Abbott, I think he can hit. He never really got fair chance to prove it. But right now he's not better than Aaron Rowand so it's not like we could have used him. I still think the Sox should take a flyer on Rich Becker. I can't believe a guy with a career .358 OBP can't find a major league job.

RichH55
02-05-2002, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I always liked Jeff Abbott, I think he can hit. He never really got fair chance to prove it. But right now he's not better than Aaron Rowand so it's not like we could have used him. I still think the Sox should take a flyer on Rich Becker. I can't believe a guy with a career .358 OBP can't find a major league job.

There are always guys to take flyers on out there....worth a shot types

RichH55
02-05-2002, 02:22 AM
Speaking on minor league contract types, what does everyone think of Mike lansing(IIRC) signing one with the Indians.....I think this could be insurance for if they decide to trade Omar(which they are going to need to do at some point)

Spiff
02-05-2002, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by bringbackrobin
No, we shouldn't be upset (this time). The Sox didn't need him. Its just that we want the guys we used to root for to do well, even if it isn't for the Sox. Unless they're playing the Sox, of course. Or if its Jaime Navarro.

Hell, Robin Ventura is going to make me have to cheer a Yankee. Now that's going to be tough. At least he doesn't play third for the Cubs.

Exactly.

And Lansing was solid for the Red Sox last year I would rather he not be on the Indians.

RichH55
02-05-2002, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00

Exactly.

And Lansing was solid for the Red Sox last year I would rather he not be on the Indians.

The biggest downside to Lansing was his contract, so if Im right than thats a good signing for Cleveland, but he still needs a spot to play, and that is what is leading to my Omar speculation.....The Indians are a lot worse without Omar than with Lansing and Omar makes those arms they have out there look better, so when Omar is moved that is the final nail in the Indians contending coffin....good times