PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a place to watch the game.

D.C. Sox fan
06-03-2006, 02:57 PM
I just moved to the D.C. metro area and I'm struggling without my WGN or CSN Chicago. Anyone know a good place in NoVa that is a Sox bar?

ilsox7
06-03-2006, 03:00 PM
There are a handful of DC guys around here. Do a search b/c they meet up for some games I think. Or wait a bit and I am sure one of them will come here and let you know.

D.C. Sox fan
06-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Cool, I'd love to find some people to go to the Sox-O's game, even if I don't I'm going to go and wear my gear and be loud and proud.

I_Liked_Manuel
06-03-2006, 03:29 PM
i just moved out to the DC area too. i haven't found 1 decent bar to watch baseball at. it seems that every bar i go into would rather put the boston or new york game on over any other one.

ilsox7
06-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Cool, I'd love to find some people to go to the Sox-O's game, even if I don't I'm going to go and wear my gear and be loud and proud.

There was a recent thread about people going to the Baltimore series. It's probably only on page 2 or 3 of the Sox Clubhouse. Take a look.

D.C. Sox fan
06-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Yeah, that is the problem I have found too and I can't watch the O's. They're just awful.

D.C. Sox fan
06-03-2006, 03:32 PM
I will definitly look for that thread. We only get three games out here this year and I want to make at least one, might be able to make two.

RowanDye
06-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Here is the link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68423) to the Baltimore road trip thread. I live in Williamsburg, VA and will be driving up for the Saturday game.

I_Like_Manuel did you graduate from the University of Iowa? I grew up in Kankakee, IL, graduated from Iowa in December and now am going to school here in Williamsburg, VA. I had to buy MLB.tv to get games, the game is on WGN tonight though!

Pequod
06-03-2006, 04:19 PM
I don't know about others in NoVA since I have MLB extra innings. But one possibility might be a restaurant/sports bar called Glory Days (there's one in Springfield, one in Centreville, probably others). Several TV's and you can tune the speaker at your table to whichever TV you want. You could probably ask them to put WGN on at least one of them. Worth a try if you've got no other options. Also, they have good Wings! :smile:

D.C. Sox fan
06-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Yeah, there's a Glory Days right up the road from me in Woodbridge. I'm kind of limited on my TV options since it is included in my rent.

The Racehorse
06-03-2006, 04:46 PM
If you ever find your way to downtown Fredericksburg, check out Fatty J's on George Street near the river... typical sportsbar with plenty of big screens. I'm usually there watching the Sox every Sunday afternoon.

getonbckthr
06-03-2006, 05:00 PM
i just moved out to the DC area too. i haven't found 1 decent bar to watch baseball at. it seems that every bar i go into would rather put the boston or new york game on over any other one.
Well ya just like if the Sox weren't on I would rather watch Detroit or Cleveland cause they are our rivals.

digdagdug23
06-03-2006, 06:06 PM

This makes me even more excited to be going to the Yankmees/Sox game in July. The 14th, whole family, all wearing Sox gear, who's with me?

SoxFan64
06-03-2006, 06:40 PM
During the WS we had around 50 of us (not all WSIers) at Buffalo Billiards in DuPont Circle, NW DC

Part of the problem is we live all across the area. I live in Silver Spring and I go to Gallaxy Billiards in the new downtown Silver Spring with another huge Sox fan.

I do not know of Sox bars in NOVA. But this area has so many people from all across the country that if you start showing up at a sports bar at a regular time when the Sox are on -- the establishment will probably put it on.

As for the Sox series in Baltimore, I am there for both Friday and Saturday.

And I am going up to NYC to see the Sox when they play the Stankees.

PS: Welcome to the DC area. Keep in touch

SweetnesSox
06-03-2006, 08:23 PM
where you at? foggy bottom-ish?

D.C. Sox fan
06-03-2006, 08:42 PM
I am further south. I actually live in the Woodbridge area.

SoxFan64
06-03-2006, 10:39 PM
I am further south. I actually live in the Woodbridge area.

There is a poster here who is a huge Sox fan with the name "ND Sox fan" IIRC. He lives out in western Fairfax. He might have a lead for a site for you.

Otherwise, consider a place in Arlington -- say Shirlington.

Again I live on the other side of town -- Silver Spring -- so unless we met in downtown DC and neither of us drank it might work.

How about a google search of sports bars in Woodbridge?

D.C. Sox fan
06-04-2006, 12:44 AM
Well, I'd probably only go into D.C. on the weekend since I work long hours during the week and miss most of those games anyways and I'd take the Metro in from Springfield, but what is the deal with the D.C. police? I've heard they are pretty tough when it comes to the zero tolerance policy.

SoxFan64
06-04-2006, 03:40 AM
but what is the deal with the D.C. police? I've heard they are pretty tough when it comes to the zero tolerance policy.

I have seen the articles about it in the paper. I don't really know since I don't go downtown to drink anymore.

Just take Metro out from DC and get into your car around Springfield. It should be a short ride. (Not that I am advocating a drinking and driving policy.)

Maybe someone else here can fill us in.

NDSox12
06-04-2006, 07:34 PM
I am the one SF64 mentioned earlier... I live in Fairfax. While I have watched Sox games at several NoVa establishments, I don't have any definitive recommendations. There is definitely no "Sox regulars" bar, but I've found that almost any place with a decent number of TVs will have no problem if you request to put the Sox game on one of them.

The place I usually go if I'm meeting up with others to watch sporting events is Bailey's Bar and Grille in the Ballston Commons mall in Arlington. It has three different rooms, all of which have a bunch of TVs. You can almost always get them to turn on any game you want. I watched several of the playoff games there last year. A couple other possibilities: Crystal City Sports Pub in Alrington and Glory Days, which has several NoVa locations including one almost right across the street from where I live.

I am a MLB Extra Innings subscriber, so I usually watch the Sox games at home. But I'm certainly willing to meet up with others any time too, especially if it is in NoVa.

Also, I'll be at all three of the games in Baltimore... hope to see a bunch of you there!