PDA

View Full Version : Are certain players given too much slack?

EdHerman12
06-03-2006, 08:49 AM
In addition to watching our beloved Sox Friday night I was also watching games from around the league on EXTRA INNINGS. Twice Manny Ramirez in Boston's game with the Tigers went ballistic on the home plate Umpire on called 3rd strikes the second time slinging his bat and helmet aside. Next there was good old Albert Pujols of the Cardinals in a moment of frustration being called out by the Ump in a game with the Flubs, and losing it to the point LaRussa had to come get him. And finally there was Bobby Abreu of the Phillies jawing after a called 3rd strike by a Dodgers pitcher and yet in all of these instances not one of the Umpires flinched.

I know Umpires will use discretion when players argue, but I thought it was always a hard line stance that arguing balls and strikes was a no-no, but are big time players like these guys given too much discretion as opposed to players not in the "superstar" category? I have a feeling if Konerko, Thome, or Dye came remotely close to what those guys did they'd be gone PDQ.

GO SOX!

0o0o0
06-03-2006, 10:43 AM
:?: Abreu is a bigger "star" than Thome?

chaerulez
06-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Some umpires just aren't quick to toss players. Not everyone in the league is a Joe West.

EdHerman12
06-03-2006, 12:25 PM
:?: Abreu is a bigger "star" than Thome?

He's not even close to JT in accomplishments. What I meant was that I felt our "Star" players would get tossed quicker than the ones I saw yesterday.

GO SOX!

TomParrish79
06-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Well in Manny's defense...I was watching that particular at bat and that ball almost bounced in the dirt it was so low....I think the umpire didnt throw him out because he knew he had blown the call.

SOXintheBURGH
06-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Everyone in the country just loves that Manny Ramirez, he can do whatever he wants. :rolleyes:

I really think he is my personal most hated player in the American League. I really cannot stand him at all. I hate his hair, I hate his attitude, I hate his team.

Chips
06-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Everyone in the country just loves that Manny Ramirez, he can do whatever he wants. :rolleyes:

I really think he is my personal most hated player in the American League. I really cannot stand him at all. I hate his hair, I hate his attitude, I hate his team.
That about sums it up, with the exception of Manny being my most hated player. That distinction goes to Cliff Politte.

Of course, you're bigger stars will get a little more discretion. I think Thome would be just fine if he were arguing balls and strikes.

TomParrish79
06-03-2006, 01:21 PM
I think David Ortiz would top my most hated list. I cant stand that guy.

TheKittle
06-03-2006, 02:15 PM
In addition to watching our beloved Sox Friday night I was also watching games from around the league on EXTRA INNINGS. Twice Manny Ramirez in Boston's game with the Tigers went ballistic on the home plate Umpire on called 3rd strikes the second time slinging his bat and helmet aside. Next there was good old Albert Pujols of the Cardinals in a moment of frustration being called out by the Ump in a game with the Flubs, and losing it to the point LaRussa had to come get him. And finally there was Bobby Abreu of the Phillies jawing after a called 3rd strike by a Dodgers pitcher and yet in all of these instances not one of the Umpires flinched.

I know Umpires will use discretion when players argue, but I thought it was always a hard line stance that arguing balls and strikes was a no-no, but are big time players like these guys given too much discretion as opposed to players not in the "superstar" category? I have a feeling if Konerko, Thome, or Dye came remotely close to what those guys did they'd be gone PDQ.

GO SOX!

It also works the other way, where a hothead player (Milton Bradley) or a non star headhunter (Jaret Wright when he was with Cleveland. Pedro is a headhunter but he gets cut a lot of slack) or even a guy with a rep as a punk (Hmm AJ?) will get thrown quicker than other players.