PDA

View Full Version : Thome Scratched

MERPER
06-02-2006, 07:55 PM
per the Score... Jim Thome was removed from the starting lineup tonight with a groin injury.. they say he is currently day-to-day but more tests will be done soon...

Gload is starting at 1B with Konerko at DH.... Hate to say this but if he misses a decent amount of time or has to go on the DL with the stretch of games we have coming up.... we are in a lot of trouble!!!

:o: :(:

whitesoxfan
06-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Well that's not good. I wouldn't think it's anything too serious though if they just scratched him from the lineup less than an hour before the game. Hopefully he'll be back tomorrow night.

WSox8404
06-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Oh **** is what sums up my feelings best.

oeo
06-02-2006, 08:02 PM
per the Score... Jim Thome was removed from the starting lineup tonight with a groin injury.. they say he is currently day-to-day but more tests will be done soon...

Gload is starting at 1B with Konerko at DH.... Hate to say this but if he misses a decent amount of time or has to go on the DL with the stretch of games we have coming up.... we are in a lot of trouble!!!

:o: :(:

Some guys will just have to step up. Last year we were very fortunate to not have many injuries; of course you hope for the same, but that's not being realistic. That said, I don't want Jim to miss a lot of time.

Trav
06-02-2006, 08:03 PM
As long as it isn't his back or elbow i am not worried.

BeviBall!
06-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Oh boy... just what a slumping team needs.

TheDarkGundam
06-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Yaaaaay.
Great news!

robiwho
06-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Great.

IlliniSox4Life
06-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Just changed my PTC to Gload. 2 starts in a row?! He's on fire!

rocky biddle
06-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Obviously not good news, but as someone said, if it was a bad injury JT would've been scratched a long time ago. Wasn't his groin bothering him a few weeks ago? Maybe he just tweaked it a little and Ozzie felt he deserved a night off to rest. Hopefully that's all it is.

IlliniSox4Life
06-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Didn't Ozzie say a while ago that Gload was going to get a start this homestand? I thought the start yesterday was odd because of it, but this is even more odd, because he couldn't have anticipated Thome needing today off.....or could he?

rocky biddle
06-02-2006, 08:20 PM
They said strained quad on the pre-game show. Melton didn't sound too concerned about lingering effects.

ShoelessJoeS
06-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Well that's not good. I wouldn't think it's anything too serious though if they just scratched him from the lineup less than an hour before the game. Hopefully he'll be back tomorrow night.No ****, I got tickets!

thomas35forever
06-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Great. More good news. Hopefully, he won't be out for long.

JUribe1989
06-02-2006, 08:27 PM
This is Gload's chance to shine, and I have a feeling he will take it and return to 2004 form.

TomParrish79
06-02-2006, 08:29 PM
better to rest him and not risk a serious groin injury...

on the other hand Gload is garbage (while I am typing this I really hope he has a good game tonite and proves me wrong) and I dont really see why he is still on the team.... I would rather see Mackoviak at first and Pablo in CF.

JUribe1989
06-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Why not have JD hit 3rd and AJ fifth? I don't like AJ hitting third, he didn't do well as that last year.

Trav
06-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Why not have JD hit 3rd and AJ fifth? I don't like AJ hitting third, he didn't do well as that last year.

AJ hits left handed

JUribe1989
06-02-2006, 08:34 PM
AJ hits left handed

Dye hit third all during the playoffs and did very well. AJ had an awful average hitting third during Podsednik's DL stint last year when we were mired in that 7 game losing streak.

jongarlandlover
06-02-2006, 08:43 PM
oh joy.

Trav
06-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Dye hit third all during the playoffs and did very well. AJ had an awful average hitting third during Podsednik's DL stint last year when we were mired in that 7 game losing streak.

I don't make the lineup. I think JD would be better in the 3 hole as well but I was just trying to think like Ozzie.

DickAllen72
06-03-2006, 12:08 AM
...on the other hand Gload is garbage (while I am typing this I really hope he has a good game tonite and proves me wrong) and I dont really see why he is still on the team.... I would rather see Mackoviak at first and Pablo in CF.

:kukoo:

Gload is not garbage and tonight shows you why he is still on this team.

Mackowiak has played very little first base in his career and I don't know if Pablo has ever played CF.

infohawk
06-03-2006, 12:29 AM
They said strained quad on the pre-game show. Melton didn't sound too concerned about lingering effects.
Jim's o.k. He just won't be quite as much of a stolen base threat for awhile. Oh.....wait....nevermind.

SoxFan76
06-03-2006, 01:32 AM
I was there tonight, and Mackowiak's play really shows you what you're missing without Anderson in center. I love the guy (Rob), but he is an average center fielder. Ozzie is sacrificing defense for offense. That would be fine if the rest of the lineup wasn't hitting....but they are.

Am I saying it's a given that Anderson would of caught it? No, but he would of came pretty darn close.

Trav
06-03-2006, 02:29 AM
I was there tonight, and Mackowiak's play really shows you what you're missing without Anderson in center. I love the guy (Rob), but he is an average center fielder. Ozzie is sacrificing defense for offense. That would be fine if the rest of the lineup wasn't hitting....but they are.

Am I saying it's a given that Anderson would of caught it? No, but he would of came pretty darn close.

Well I agree. I am a little suprised that Guillen is playing the situation like he is. I know that Mack has a hot bat right now but he plays a few different positions and he could have worked him into 1B with Thome getting scratched tonight. I can't watch the games so I don't know just how bad BA's at bats have been, aproach wise but I would much rather have him playing D. Teach him to bunt.

Frontman
06-03-2006, 07:58 AM
I get the perception that Ozzie is trying new things early. We're only a couple of games out, Detroit hasn't pulled ahead at all, so it seems to me that Ozzie is seeing who can play where.

In the case of Thome, oh man. I hope this is just a sore muscle situation, and with a day or two of rest he'll be good as new. I hope Ozzie reconsiders Thome being at first for all of the interleague games, and platoons Paul/Jim at first for those few games, in case Thome's leg can use the rest.

Front

TomParrish79
06-03-2006, 12:43 PM
:kukoo:

Gload is not garbage and tonight shows you why he is still on this team.

Mackowiak has played very little first base in his career and I don't know if Pablo has ever played CF.

I thought Mackowiak had platooned at 3rd and 1st before in his career. And sorry Gload's RBI last night still doesnt justify him being on the roster. His defense isnt an improvement over Konerko's at 1st and its always an adventure with him right field. Anyway I dunno maybe he will grow on me eventually.

I only mentioned Pablo in CF because someone had mentioned in a previous post that they may give him some playing time there.

Frater Perdurabo
06-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Gload had a decent night last night, but if Thome has to miss any more games, it might be better to have Mackowiak DH while Paulie returns to first base.

Lip Man 1
06-03-2006, 01:09 PM
The Sun-Times today said he had a strained 'aducctor' muscle. (Sorry if that's spelled wrong...)

Isn't that the same thing that Posednik had?

Lip

TomParrish79
06-03-2006, 01:13 PM
sure its not abducctor?

Chicken Dinner
06-03-2006, 02:07 PM
No Timo?

oeo
06-03-2006, 02:17 PM
I thought Mackowiak had platooned at 3rd and 1st before in his career. And sorry Gload's RBI last night still doesnt justify him being on the roster. His defense isnt an improvement over Konerko's at 1st and its always an adventure with him right field. Anyway I dunno maybe he will grow on me eventually.

I only mentioned Pablo in CF because someone had mentioned in a previous post that they may give him some playing time there.
Gload is one of the most underrated guys on this team. He can swing a good bat, even after he hasn't seen a lot of playing time (see: last night). I'm not really sure what all the Gload hating has been about lately, he used to be a fan favorite around here. Of course he's not as good as Paulie, that's why he's a BACK-UP. And even without Thome's recent injury, I still do not want to see Thome on the field, even if it is interleague play. Just too much of a risk, and we need him. Gload isn't a bad back-up at first base.

TomParrish79
06-03-2006, 02:31 PM
I think the Gload hating started 2 seasons ago when we all had to watch him drop fly ball after fly ball in right field. And I dont hate the guy...I just dont think he can help us in clutch situation as a guy coming off the bench to pinch hit. He seems the type of player that needs to play daily to be able to swing a hot stick and he with our team this year at the most he will start once every 10 games.

oeo
06-03-2006, 02:43 PM
I think the Gload hating started 2 seasons ago when we all had to watch him drop fly ball after fly ball in right field. And I dont hate the guy...I just dont think he can help us in clutch situation as a guy coming off the bench to pinch hit. He seems the type of player that needs to play daily to be able to swing a hot stick and he with our team this year at the most he will start once every 10 games.

No, just last year he was still a fan favorite. He's not an outfielder and he shouldn't have been playing the outfield...

And he's batted 3-9 in the three games he's seen some time on the field in the past week. If we had someone that could take his spot on the bench, I could see why you don't think he should be on the roster. But at this point, there isn't anyone and he's doing just fine in the role he's been given.

RowanDye
06-03-2006, 02:51 PM
No Timo?
He did get called up yesterday (link) (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060602&content_id=1484579&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb) I'm pretty glad we don't have to rely on Timo this year, I'm sure some people would be calling for him in CF.

I've always liked Gload though, as long as he's not expected to play RF. Apparently Scott Reifert doesn't hold as high an opinion of Ross...

"Jim Thome was scratched from tonight's lineup with a strained quad. Rodd Gload moves to first base and PK to DH." link (http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/) :tongue:

credefan24
06-03-2006, 05:10 PM
As is usual with this team, when one guy is down, someone else picks him up.
While we need Thome back, better to miss a couple games in June than alot more in September. This team is tough, we just need to get this slump out of the way!
Lets Go Go Sox, bring home a winner tonight!

boiler up
06-03-2006, 05:50 PM
will thome be in the lineup tonight?

Frontman
06-03-2006, 06:25 PM

The Score is reporting no. However, there is no talk of him going on the DL, more like a case of resting the leg.

Front

oeo
06-03-2006, 06:35 PM

Nope, lineup for tonight:
Pods, LF
Iguchi, 2B
PK, DH
Dye, RF
AJ, C
Crede, 3B
Mack, CF
Cintron, SS
Gload, 1B

I'm not happy to see Mack in center again after last night.

sullythered
06-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Ozzie always gives the guy the next game off too, if he takes himself out of the lineup. He's done it 100% of the time since he's been here.

chisoxmike
06-03-2006, 10:31 PM
I would think Thome returns Tuesday.

TDog
06-04-2006, 05:39 AM
I would think Thome returns Tuesday.

Sunday's Tribune story seems to say Thome won't play at all in this series.

Tragg
06-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Interleague play starts soon....he'll get plenty of rest during that period anyway.

Rgilliam32
06-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Thome officially sits sunday... Per espn.com

Frontman
06-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Interleague play starts soon....he'll get plenty of rest during that period anyway.

Actually, word was that Ozzie wanted to sit Paulie and play Big Jim. That might of changed in the meantime.....

Front