PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 6-3

Lip Man 1
06-02-2006, 05:49 PM
June 3, 1963- With the Sox in first place another "freak" injury occurred reminiscent of past bizarre circumstances that cost the team dearly.

Sox 1st baseman Joe Cunningham, who hit .295, with 70 RBIís and 101 walks in 1962, broke his collarbone in Los Angeles running out a ground ball in the 5th inning. Cunningham was trying to avoid stepping on Angels 1st baseman Charlie Dees foot, so he twisted and lost his balance, tripping over the bag and crashing down on the ground. It was a wild throw from shortstop Billy Moran that started the sequence. Tommy McCraw was called up to replace him but just couldnít fill the bill.

The Sox quickly fell out of first place and never again seriously threatened the Yankees. They did finish the season though with a more then respectable mark of 94-68.

Lip

kwolf68
06-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Great (or not so) story. Hmmm, maybe I'll think twice before getting on my little league kids when they don't run out a ground ball. :o:

ondafarm
06-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Great (or not so) story. Hmmm, maybe I'll think twice before getting on my little league kids when they don't run out a ground ball. :o:

No, you gotta get on 'em about that.