PDA

View Full Version : Soxfest thoughts


Iwritecode
02-04-2002, 02:36 PM
Well, I went on Sunday and decided to write my thoughts about it and what we did.

First of all, we didn't end up getting out of Rockford until about 7:30 so we got there later that I really wanted to. Plus the fact that I had to park about 10 blocks away didn't help. I'm sure I looked like an idiot while we were walking cause I had to keep checking the street signs and then the map to make sure we going to right way.

So we ended up missing the first few guys of the day. Ray Durham was one autograph that I wanted and missed. The first real celebrity I saw was Bill Melton. He was just sitting there talking and there was no line so I had him sign the little booklet that I got at the door. Then we got in line to get Jose's autograph. The lines were kinda long but went pretty fast. I don't think I had to wait more than 30 minutes in any one line. While standing in line for Jose, I looked up and saw the WSI booth. So I went and met FFB, Jerry and Dan Helpingstine for the first time. (Jerry's face isn't as ugly as he wants you all to believe either.) It was kinda nice to put a couple of faces with the names that I see on here everyday. I never got to meet Ihatethecubs so I didn't get to challenge him for the manos/choice arm wrestling. I did get an autographed Wendy's napkin from FFB though. I even convinced him to sign the batting helmet I brought for the players to sign. :smile: I got one comment on it when I got Kelly Wunsch's autograph. The girl sitting next to him was like "Who is French Fry Boy?" I just told her it's a guy I know from the internet and it's a long story. We got some good pictures that I'm sure you will all see on the site when PHG gets them put up.

The players were pretty cool. They were all in pretty good spirits and were happy to have their pictures taken with the fans. Even though the announcements said we couldn't take pictures. I ended up getting signatures from Valentin, Wunsch, Ritchie, Rauch and Borchard. Jose was pretty quiet but had a smile on his face most of the time. Even after his autograph session ended, he went to the kids area and signed some more. Kelly is bit of an oddball (which I've heard before). I mentioned that I thought I remembered him a little bit because he played for the Beloit Snappers (Beloit is about 20 minutes north of Rockford) and they played the Rockford Cubbies (that team no longer exists thank god...). He said one of his most memorable games was played in Rockford. It was one of those nights where there were so many bugs that it was almost like a fog. Rauch and Borchard were signing at the same booth. Borchard does look pretty built, but it was almost funny seeing the top of his head at the same level as Rauch's chin. Man is that guy tall! He seems to have a sense of humor too. While I was in line I saw a guy about to take his picture so he sat there and smiled waiting for the picture. Something happened with the guys camera and he said nevermind. Rauch hit is fist on the table in mock disgust and said "darnit!". That gave me a good chuckle. I missed getting Hawk and DJ's autographs by mere minutes. They were suppposed to stay until 1 and I was there at 12:50 and they were already gone. :(:

Not that I've gone once, I've decided that the best option is to take the three-day package. That way you can get the bigger name players on the first 2 days (Frank, Mags) and get the lesser-knowns later (Glover, Paul). I wish I would have had the time to do that this year. The only thing I bought was a "Sox" ball for the players to sign and a display case to put it in. They had a bunch of David Wells shirts and jersey's for only $5 but nobody seemed to want them. Although I did see one person wearing a Wells jersey and one wearing a Contreras jersey. Why, I have no idea... Overall it was a good time. For someone like me who gets to very few games and has never gotten an autograph before, this was a good thing and I hope to be back again next year. :D:

Kilroy
02-04-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
...I've decided that the best option is to take the three-day package. That way you can get the bigger name players on the first 2 days (Frank, Mags) and get the lesser-knowns later (Glover, Paul)...

Well, if you plan to try to get Frank or Maggs, you better plan to spend more time than you're thinking. I went Saturday specifically and solely with the intention of having him sign a couple of Kilroy's damn-near-professional photos. Soxfest opened at 10. I got to the entrance at 8:00 a.m. Not to the hotel at 8:00 a.m., not my car parked at 8:00 a.m., to the entrance, two hours before it opened. I'm thinking I'm way early, but Frank's line was already closed. I talked to a couple of people who said that people began lining up for Frank at 3 a.m!

FarWestChicago
02-04-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
I got to the entrance at 8:00 a.m. Not to the hotel at 8:00 a.m., not my car parked at 8:00 a.m., to the entrance, two hours before it opened. I'm thinking I'm way early, but Frank's line was already closed. I talked to a couple of people who said that people began lining up for Frank at 3 a.m! :shammy

That's a bunch of crap. Everybody knows nobody likes Frank. I saved baseball. Everybody loves me!!

duke of dorwood
02-04-2002, 03:17 PM
My daughters waited 4 hours for Frank. They said he was very friendly and accomodating to all, took pictures too. I went Friday night and apparently after I left, my girls hung out in the hotel bar with a few players. It was a great time, as usual. The 3 day package IS the way to go.

Iwritecode
02-04-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy


Well, if you plan to try to get Frank or Maggs, you better plan to spend more time than you're thinking. I went Saturday specifically and solely with the intention of having him sign a couple of Kilroy's damn-near-professional photos. Soxfest opened at 10. I got to the entrance at 8:00 a.m. Not to the hotel at 8:00 a.m., not my car parked at 8:00 a.m., to the entrance, two hours before it opened. I'm thinking I'm way early, but Frank's line was already closed. I talked to a couple of people who said that people began lining up for Frank at 3 a.m!

Wow, I never even really thought about that. I was just figuring on being there on Friday and Saturday. Maybe I could at least get a couple of pictures of him. :D:

Konerkofan
02-04-2002, 03:40 PM
I'm one of the Dukes's daughters, who went to the bar and met a couple players there. They were all very nice. I give them alot of credit because they keep that smile on their face the whole time. I would have to say that the most unfriendly people there were Jon Garland, Jon Rauch. Rauch was too into his conversation with the security guard. Jon just looked too tired.

Jerry_Manuel
02-04-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
(Jerry's face isn't as ugly as he wants you all to believe either.)

Don't drink and post, Code. :gulp:

He's lying folks, I'm an ugly guy, and George has photo's to prove it. :smile:

voodoochile
02-04-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


Don't drink and post, Code. :gulp:

He's lying folks, I'm an ugly guy, and George has photo's to prove it. :smile:

Man we need to all chip in for some self-esteem classes before you end up in a clock tower in a long dark trench coat...

Vsahajpal
02-04-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Konerkofan
I'm one of the Dukes's daughters, who went to the bar and met a couple players there. They were all very nice. I give them alot of credit because they keep that smile on their face the whole time. I would have to say that the most unfriendly people there were Jon Garland, Jon Rauch. Rauch was too into his conversation with the security guard. Jon just looked too tired.

Hi, how are you?

:D:

ball state aaron
02-04-2002, 08:06 PM
well, i attended sox fest on sunday, leaving winamac, indiana about 8:30, 9:30 chicago time. it's about a two and a half hour trip to downton. i went with my gf, my sister, and her fiance, who posts here as fuzzy patters. we would have left earlier, but we didn't leave the bar the night before until about 1 am.

we met phg and jerry_manuel, which was cool. fuzzy and i bought a wsi shirt there. i also bought a hat for my and one for my gf.

we got autographs from joe borchard, who my gf thinks is drop dead gorgeous, jon rauch, aaron rowand, josh paul, dj, and hawk.

it was our second sox fest, our first being last year. we all thought the atmoshpere was more laid back than last year. last year seemed to have more electricity in the air. then again, it may have just seemed that way because we were trying to recover from hangovers.

we decided that getting the three day package would be the best way to go. we had a lot of fun.

Jerry_Manuel
02-04-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Man we need to all chip in for some self-esteem classes before you end up in a clock tower in a long dark trench coat...

I think you'll change your tune in a few days, Voodoo. :smile:

Iwritecode
02-04-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile


Man we need to all chip in for some self-esteem classes before you end up in a clock tower in a long dark trench coat...

I own 2 long dark trench coats. :o:

Wait a minute here...

Iwritecode
02-04-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


I think you'll change your tune in a few days, Voodoo. :smile:

Well, if PHG is bold enough to post my ugly mug on here (you might notice a drop in hits on the site...) I'll post a totally biased poll and we can answer the question once and for all. :D:

Jerry_Manuel
02-04-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I'll post a totally biased poll and we can answer the question once and for all. :D:

That should be great...

Who is uglier?

A: Jerry
B: Code

I think I'll win in a landslide.

Daver
02-04-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


That should be great...

Who is uglier?

A: Jerry
B: Code

I think I'll win in a landslide.

Damn shame I was unable to attend,I got you both beat.

doublem23
02-04-2002, 10:18 PM
Jeez... Good thing this board is bursting with self-confidence...

Iwritecode
02-04-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


That should be great...

Who is uglier?

A: Jerry
B: Code

I think I'll win in a landslide.

Nah, I have a plan. Remember, in true WSI fashion the poll will be totally biased. :smile:

bjmarte
02-05-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Jeez... Good thing this board is bursting with self-confidence... You forgot the teal. And besides, have you met CLR yet?

CLR01
02-05-2002, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by bjmarte
You forgot the teal. And besides, have you met CLR yet?


What is that supposed to mean?

FarWestChicago
02-05-2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by CLR01



What is that supposed to mean? I think it was a cross reference to the "Dark Cloud" in the other thread. :smile:

CLR01
02-05-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I think it was a cross reference to the "Dark Cloud" in the other thread. :smile:


Aim low Sox fans, that way you will be less diappointed if they dont do a thing, and even more pleased if they win it all. :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
02-05-2002, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Jeez... Good thing this board is bursting with self-confidence...

Double, you just haven't lived, until you've seen the photo of me with the Brookfield Zoo Bear.

bjmarte
02-05-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I think it was a cross reference to the "Dark Cloud" in the other thread. :smile:
Actually I was trying to go the other way. It was a cross referenct to the Happy Birthday Hootie (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7251) thread. Some of the board members may not have much confidence but I think CLR is balancing it out.

:)