PDA

View Full Version : Whose the better hitter Thome or Dye?

IlliniSox4Life
06-02-2006, 12:34 PM
I think it's been generally accepted with his league leading home run count that Thome is the best hitter on the team right now. I was looking at the stats though after JD's 2 HR night last night, and noticed he had about 40 less at bats than Thome (due to the strained muscle and more nights off from Ozzie in general).

So I did some quick math, and JD is actually hitting slightly more home runs per at bat (like .0003 more). If you do the math to give him as many at bats as Thome, he has 20.05479 HRs, or basically the exact same as Thome.

JD has a slightly higher Avg (.301 to .295), but a bit lower OBP (.402 to .431). JD's slugging percentage is also higher than Thome's (.671 to .661).

So who do you want at the plate in the bottom of the 9th inning with a tie game (No, Crede isn't an option)?

EDIT: I just realized my horrible grammar mistake in the title of the thread. I can't believe I did that. Forgive me. Also forgive me for the other grammar errors in the post. I must've been out with Anderson and Fingernails last night.

Chicken Dinner
06-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Who's pitching?

0o0o0
06-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Give me Dye, he's more likely to make contact.

HomeFish
06-02-2006, 12:39 PM
I'd rather have Thome, because if they walk or just get a base hit, the guys after Thome in the lineup (including Dye) have a better chance of driving him in than do the guys who bat after Dye.

That said, Dye is absolutely the most underrated player on this team, both offensively and defensively.

Madvora
06-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Hmmm... 9th inning? Just make sure Pablo fits in there somewhere, probably leading off that inning.

gobears1987
06-02-2006, 12:42 PM
I have to agree that Dye is underrated, but I still favor Thome in this situation.

oeo
06-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Dye can shoot the ball all over the field, I'll take him. Nothing against Thome, but I feel much more comfortable with Konerko or Dye at the plate.

drewcifer
06-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Dye can shoot the ball all over the field, I'll take him. Nothing against Thome, but I feel much more comfortable with Konerko or Dye at the plate.

Agreed.

Though it's nice that Thome draws the amount of BBs that he does, his higher K rate puts him below Dye; at least at this point in time.

Ah hell - I love 'em both, though.

ondafarm
06-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Thome right now, but Dye always gets hot at the end of the season.

Thome is roughly on a 60 HR pace right now. Dye was the WSMVP. Hopefully PK will get hot in between.

Rgilliam32
06-02-2006, 01:32 PM
You have to take into consideration that Thome is likely seeing alot more pitches to hit because he has Konerko & Dye hitting behind him, whereas Dye has the far less lethal Pierzinski & Crede backing him up

cbotnyse
06-02-2006, 01:32 PM
this is a good question, and a great problem to have. Dye has very quietly putting up great numbers.

I think I'll say the edge is to Dye right now. everytime Thome is up, all I ever expect is a BB, K, or HR. I know thats not very accurate, but thats what it seems like to me.

Dye can put it all over the field, and especially lately, out of the park.

EastCoastSoxFan
06-02-2006, 02:04 PM
That's sort of like asking whether a driver or a three-iron is a better golf club.
It depends on what you're trying to do.
Thome is a pure power hitter who scares the opposition into pitching around him.
JD can hit it out of the park, but he hits for a better average and works the gaps more.
They each have a niche in the Sox lineup...

TheKittle
06-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Dye is a tougher hitter to defend since he can take the ball the other way. Thome is a dead pull hitter, notice that shift by the defense when Thome is up.

Once I thought Iggy was the most underrated player on the team. But, it's really Dye.

my5thbench
06-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Thome is a bonafied Hall of Famer....Jermaine is a fine player having a great season.....game on the line I think you've gotta' go with Thome

IlliniSox4Life
06-02-2006, 02:14 PM
I'd rather have Thome, because if they walk or just get a base hit, the guys after Thome in the lineup (including Dye) have a better chance of driving him in than do the guys who bat after Dye.

That said, Dye is absolutely the most underrated player on this team, both offensively and defensively.

I was kind of thinking about this myself. But I'm not so sure that Konerko/Dye have a better chance of driving in Thome than AJ/Crede do of Dye.

First of all, AJ has a better average than Konerko. That would give Dye the advantage of moving over. Not only that, but he's faster than Thome, so he has a better chance of moving first to third (and he can occasionally steal a base too). Plus, if he does get moved over, then he has Captain Clutch trying to bring him in.

I don't know, the more and more I think about it, the harder and harder a choice it becomes.

Anyway, I have a question, has any team ever had 3 players hit 40+ home runs in the same season? There's probably a glaringly obvious answer, but I can't seem to come up with one.

miker
06-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Sort of a toss up IMHO. Both can be devastating when they're on. I'm glad they're both on our side.

EastCoastSoxFan
06-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Thome is a bonafied Hall of Famer....Jermaine is a fine player having a great season.....game on the line I think you've gotta' go with Thome
With nobody on I'd go with Thome and hope he jacks a homer.
With a runner or runners in scoring position I'd go with a guy who can shorten his stroke, punch a single, and drive in the run (See '05 WS, Game 4).
But that's what my friend Charlie likes to call a "high-class problem"...

batmanZoSo
06-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Right now? I guess they're pretty much equal with Dye batting for a higher average, but this is just Thome going about his business while it's shaping up to be a career year for Dye. And Dye's my favorite player on the team. Even now though I'd take Thome's .430 obp over Dye's .400 (which I doubt will last, probably more like .375).

Dye is definitely an underrated player in baseball. But with the injuries he had from 01-04 or so, he was kind of forgotten naturally. He's always been a superior talent, though. I hope he stays healthy and plays out his career on the south side.

SweetnesSox
06-02-2006, 03:20 PM
I just realized my horrible grammar mistake in the title of the thread. I can't believe I did that. Forgive me.

you also said "it is widely excepted" when it should have been "accepted" :redface:

good question though. I'll take Jermaine cause he's a better all-around hitter. I feel like I can turn the TV off and pencil in a K when Thome's up to bat. Dye can work a count and come back like he did on the homer against cleveland (the second one I think)

IlliniSox4Life
06-02-2006, 04:00 PM
you also said "it is widely excepted" when it should have been "accepted" :redface:

good question though. I'll take Jermaine cause he's a better all-around hitter. I feel like I can turn the TV off and pencil in a K when Thome's up to bat. Dye can work a count and come back like he did on the homer against cleveland (the second one I think)

Ahh! What got into me? :redface:

I think you're right about JD coming back and getting into the count better. It seems like he has a better chance of hitting if he gets behind 0-2 or 1-2. Thome doesn't seem to get back into counts as well or see as many pitches.

kittle42
06-02-2006, 04:04 PM
It should be "Who's."

thomas35forever
06-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Both are capable of hitting home runs every day, but I gotta give my vote to Thome because he's also leading the AL in RBIs.

IlliniSox4Life
06-02-2006, 04:46 PM
It should be "Who's."

I realized that, it's why I added the edit in the post about the horrible grammar. Unfortunately I can't edit thread titles.

kwolf68
06-02-2006, 05:52 PM
They are both great and I'm glad we don't have to make this choice.

Dye is putting together another brilliant season, maybe will be better than last year.

JB98
06-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Thome is the better hitter, although Dye is having a tremendous year. For all-around play, Dye is the best on our team, IMO. We had a thread about that recently.

TheKittle
06-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Anyway, I have a question, has any team ever had 3 players hit 40+ home runs in the same season? There's probably a glaringly obvious answer, but I can't seem to come up with one.

1997 Rockies Galarraga, Castilla, and Walker.
1996 Rockies. Galarraga, Castilla and former White Sox Ellis Burks.

To ****ing think that Rockies never won much.

ShoelessJoeS
06-02-2006, 09:29 PM
IMO, Dye is hot right now and is off to a phenomenal start. However, I think Thome is the best we have.

Ditka311
06-03-2006, 01:01 AM
Not even close right now...it's Dye. Thome has been swinging at just about everything. Even though Thome has a tendency to go yard when he connects, Dye is connecting much more frequently as of late.

Thome25
06-04-2006, 12:53 PM
based on the ab/hr ratio it appears that they're pretty much equal. I'd have to say I'd take 'em both. I'm glad we have the luxury of having this conversation that is, they're both wearing chicago white sox uniforms.

RockyMtnSoxFan
06-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Thome also struggles in the close and late situations, so I gotta go with JD. I love watching what he did last year in Houston, both Games 3 and 4.