PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas update

Pages : [1] 2 3

ondafarm
06-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Frank Thomas, in spite of quite a few naysayers here and in the Chicago media, seems to be doing just fine with the Athletics. He's homered in back to back games (starting the scoring in both.)

His last seven days batting line is:

8 hits in 22 AB, 1 2B and 3 HR, 6 RBI 4 BB 3 K.

.364 .462 .818

He now has 460 career homers and his season numbers are:

.229 .353 .484

At his current pace, Frank should hit about 22-25 more homers this season, which would have him 15-18 shy of the ever-important 500.

He is conforming to his career norms, always started out slow and got hot in late-May and had very potent times throughout the next 3 months.

The A's broadcasters are talking about him playing next year and about him as a lock for the HOF.

mccoydp
06-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Seems like Big Frank is getting back in the groove. I haven't had a chance to watch him often, but I like the fact that he's playing well lately.

If he can continue to stay healthy, he can have a successful run at 500 HR.

I like to hear that HOF talk. :D:

voodoochile
06-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Nice to see the big man getting his props.

Go on and get some, Frank. You deserve it...

ondafarm
06-02-2006, 12:56 PM
It's odd but the A's seem to get a lot more national attention than, IMHO, they deserve. They had a few glory years but are now sub - .500 and not really making a big run (just lost 2 of 3 to Texas.)

McAfee has always given them an advantage and they are very mediocre on the road. Pitching decent but not breathtaking.

Anyways, Big Frank getting some props from another team can't hurt his HOF chances.

06-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Atta Boy Frank, stay healthy and get your 500

Paulwny
06-02-2006, 01:02 PM

Anyways, Big Frank getting some props from another team can't hurt his HOF chances.

The Oakland press will probably campaign harder than the Chi press for Frank's induction.

ondafarm
06-02-2006, 01:10 PM
The Oakland press will probably campaign harder than the Chi press for Frank's induction.

The Oakland press will probably campaign FOR Frank Thomas' induction, that is in contrast to the Chicago press.

havelj
06-02-2006, 02:38 PM
In May:

.268 AVE
.436 OBP
6 HR
17 RBIs
21 W
10 K

Frater Perdurabo
06-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Not to re-hash an old debate, but it sure would be nice to have Frank available on the Sox bench (to DH against lefties and pinch hit) instead of Ross Gload.

In any case, I'm glad to see him doing well.

cleanwsox
06-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Not to re-hash an old debate, but it sure would be nice to have Frank available on the Sox bench (to DH against lefties and pinch hit) instead of Ross Gload.

In any case, I'm glad to see him doing well.

Ugh, could you imagine the grumbling if Frank got the playing time Gload has gotten? Keep thriving in Oakland Frank, looks like you are going to get your 500 if you stay healthy.

IlliniSox4Life
06-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Frank Thomas, in spite of quite a few naysayers here and in the Chicago media, seems to be doing just fine with the Athletics. He's homered in back to back games (starting the scoring in both.)

.364 .462 .818

If you go back a few more games (in fact, since CotC and his 2 HR night against us)

His line is

14 hits in 35 AB, 1 2B and 5 HR, 9 RBI 8 BB 5 K

.400 AVG, .511 OBP

Sargeant79
06-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Good for him. I hope he continues to mash the ball the rest of the year (except for his games on September 15-17).

ewokpelts
06-02-2006, 05:16 PM
what's frank's numbers at the colleseum vs. the road?
Gene

ondafarm
06-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Frank at McAfee

15-80, 1 2B, 8 HR, 15 RBI .188-.267-.500

Away

20-73, 2 2B, 4 HR, 14 RBI .274-.436 - .466

His recent hot streak was mostly on the road, so this affects his numbers.

balke
06-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Gotta be honest here, Thome is a great replacement, but I do wish you were here big guy. Not many ballplayers get to play an entire career in one city. Frank, you're now just another one who didn't. Good luck to him, I hope the A's finish dead last regardless.

RKMeibalane
06-02-2006, 09:26 PM
:hurt

Nellie_Fox
06-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Frank just now led off the second inning against the Twins with another homer, this one off Santana. I'm watching the game on TV while listening to the Sox on XM since I live in Minnesota, just so I can watch Frank.

RKMeibalane
06-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Frank just now led off the second inning against the Twins with another homer, this one off Santana. I'm watching the game on TV while listening to the Sox on XM since I live in Minnesota, just so I can watch Frank.

Frank is probably one of the few hitters who's had success against Santana. He's now 6-15 (.400) against him, with four home runs.

The Dude
06-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Seems like Big Frank is getting back in the groove. I haven't had a chance to watch him often, but I like the fact that he's playing well lately.

If he can continue to stay healthy, he can have a successful run at 500 HR.

I like to hear that HOF talk. :D:

I also love to hear HOF talk about frank as well...but hopefully we dont start posting daily HR threads about Frank or constant updates, ala Aaron Rowand manlovefest. These guys arent on our team anymore and besides the blurb here and there, I dont care what happens with Frank until he retires and then hopefully makes his HOF speech. Until then, good luck frank.

lumpyspun
06-03-2006, 12:20 AM
I was at the Mariners game tonight and they had a trivia question that dealt with Frank...apparently Frank has never had a sacrafice hit in his career...that is amazing.

IlliniSox4Life
06-03-2006, 12:22 AM
I was at the Mariners game tonight and they had a trivia question that dealt with Frank...apparently Frank has never had a sacrafice hit in his career...that is amazing.

What? No sacrifice hits? I could've sworn he had one the other day...

Nellie_Fox
06-03-2006, 12:25 AM
I also love to hear HOF talk about frank as well...but hopefully we dont start posting daily HR threads about Frank or constant updates, ala Aaron Rowand manlovefest. These guys arent on our team anymore and besides the blurb here and there, I dont care what happens with Frank until he retires and then hopefully makes his HOF speech. Until then, good luck frank.Feel free to not open the thread when it is clearly labeled as something you don't want to read. I continue to follow Frank every game, and am very interested in his progress. It's in "Talking Baseball," not the clubhouse, so there is nothing wrong with it.

ilsox7
06-03-2006, 12:26 AM

That had to have meant sacrifice bunt. He's had plenty of sac flies.

lumpyspun
06-03-2006, 12:28 AM
That had to have meant sacrifice bunt. He's had plenty of sac flies.
Yea, that's why I was confused too...apparently the term "sacrafice hit" means bunt also...but a sac fly is different...so basically he has never had a sac bunt. I guess I can see it, but it just seems that some time back in the early 90's the dude would have dropped down one sac bunt at some point...

ilsox7
06-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Yea, that's why I was confused too...apparently the term "sacrafice hit" means bunt also...but a sac fly is different...so basically he has never had a sac bunt. I guess I can see it, but it just seems that some time back in the early 90's the dude would have dropped down one sac bunt at some point...

Nah, back in the 90's he was the best hitter in a generation.

Nellie_Fox
06-03-2006, 01:11 AM
...but it just seems that some time back in the early 90's the dude would have dropped down one sac bunt at some point...Any manager who would have asked the early 90's Frank to sacrifice bunt would have been run out of baseball. You don't ask the most dangerous hitter in the game to bunt.

TornLabrum
06-03-2006, 08:29 AM

The actual term used by scorers for a sacrifice bunt is "sacrifice hit." (I score it as "SH1-3," or whatever the play is.) A sacrifice fly is a separate scoring category (as in "SF7").

TommyJohn
06-03-2006, 11:57 AM

The Chicago media will campaign against Frank Thomas. No need to mention
one name, but I think Telander will be another.

ondafarm
06-03-2006, 04:03 PM
The Chicago media will campaign against Frank Thomas. No need to mention
one name, but I think Telander will be another.

Yeah, like I said.

The Dude
06-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Feel free to not open the thread when it is clearly labeled as something you don't want to read. I continue to follow Frank every game, and am very interested in his progress. It's in "Talking Baseball," not the clubhouse, so there is nothing wrong with it.
Thanks for updating me on my WSI privileges!

Feel free to not respond to my posts if you find them offending.:cool:
All I said is I hope we don't start posting about every little thing he does or doesn't like Aaron Rowand.

Chips
06-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Thanks for updating me on my WSI privileges!

Feel free to not respond to my posts if you find them offending.:cool:
All I said is I hope we don't start posting about every little thing he does or doesn't like Aaron Rowand.

Or put him on ignore for using bad grammar.

The Dude
06-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Or put him on ignore for using bad grammar.
Thank you very much Chips for updating the apostrophe's and capital I's. What would we do here without you?:dunno:

Nellie_Fox
06-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Frank was on the Sox for a very long time, and was the best player on the team for most of those years. Rowand was only with the Sox for a few years, and was never the best player on the team (had a couple of decent years, but never the best on the team.)

A lot of us on here are still Frank Thomas fans. I keep an eye on what he's doing every day, and see nothing wrong with people posting updates on how he's doing on the Talking Baseball board.

What you said was that you don't care what he's doing now that he's not on the Sox and don't want to read about it. I simply suggested that you don't have to read about it. However, some of us do want to read about it. There are threads every day on topics I don't care to read about. So, I don't read them.

TornLabrum
06-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Frank was on the Sox for a very long time, and was the best player on the team for most of those years. Rowand was only with the Sox for a few years, and was never the best player on the team (had a couple of decent years, but never the best on the team.)

A lot of us on here are still Frank Thomas fans. I keep an eye on what he's doing every day, and see nothing wrong with people posting updates on how he's doing on the Talking Baseball board.

What you said was that you don't care what he's doing now that he's not on the Sox and don't want to read about it. I simply suggested that you don't have to read about it. However, some of us do want to read about it. There are threads every day on topics I don't care to read about. So, I don't read them.

Heck, I'm a mod and I don't read threads that I don't think will interest me. The only exception are those threads that I think may end up with something bad happening that may require some intervention.

It's good advice you're giving to just skip those threads you're not interested in. In fact, I highly recommend that over griping that you don't want to read something that you have the option to not read. I find those posts more annoying than threads I choose to skip.

RKMeibalane
06-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Frank doubled leading off the second inning against the Twins, and later scored on a single by Bobby Crosby.

RKMeibalane
06-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Frank Thomas just connected for his 462nd home run, this one coming off of Jake Westbrook in Cleveland. What was especially impressive about this home run was that it was a line drive to right field. It reminded me a lot of Frank's early years, when he used to crush balls into the RF gap with authority.

Keep up the good work, big man!

Palehose13
06-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Frank Thomas just connected for his 462nd home run, this one coming off of Jake Westbrook in Cleveland. What was especially impressive about this home run was that it was a line drive to right field. It reminded me a lot of Frank's early years, when he used to crush balls into the RF gap with authority.

Way to go hurt!

BTW...Just picked up Thomas in the WSI keeperII fantasy league yesterday. :cool:

rowand33
06-06-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm g lad I picked frank up on my fantasy team about a week ago. He's been amazing lately.

mccoydp
06-06-2006, 06:54 PM

Man, just 38 more to 500! Let's all hope he stays healthy.

:bandance:

RKMeibalane
06-08-2006, 11:52 AM
With an RBI-groundout in the third inning vs. Cleveland, Frank Thomas picked up his 1500th RBI. Keep it going, big man!

SOXfnNlansing
06-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Just watching the A's/Cle game on MLB.com and Big Frank picked up his 1,500th rbi.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=123245

SouthSide_HitMen
06-08-2006, 12:45 PM
:cool:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/RBI_career.shtml

Frank started the year 48th all time (22nd among RHB). He has moved up to 44th (passing Cobra, Sheffield, Billy Williams and Le Grand Orange) this season. Since Bagwell, Sosa and Palmiero have retired / slithered away this offseason, Thomas is third among active players (Junior and Balco remain ahead of him).

30 more RBI leapfrogs him past Bagwell into 40th place.

Frank is 100 RBI away from the Top 25, 129 from topping Harold Baines (the leading White Sox player on the list in the 23rd spot). If healthy, Frank can do this by the end of 2007.

Cheers :gulp:

nasox
06-08-2006, 12:48 PM
If healthy, Frank can does this by the end of 2007.

Can DO this by the end of 2007. :smile:

RKMeibalane
06-08-2006, 12:53 PM

Kittle42's head is going to explode.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-08-2006, 12:57 PM

This is an example of what happens when you are distracted while posting. :redface:

Kittle42's head is going to explode.

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://www.ballparktour.com/Comiskey_101.jpg

mccoydp
06-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Yet another one of the milestones Big Frank reached enroute to retirement and the HOF.

Deebs14
06-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Yet another one of the milestones Big Frank reached enroute to retirement and the HOF.

True dat! :gulp:

And congrats to you on a one-post belated 1,500th post. :cool:

Hitmen77
06-08-2006, 02:17 PM
by the way...

:indianslose

Wow, that game was over before 2:00 Chicago time.

mccoydp
06-08-2006, 02:27 PM
True dat! :gulp:

And congrats to you on a one-post belated 1,500th post. :cool:

One back at 'cha! :gulp:

StillMissOzzie
06-08-2006, 02:58 PM

So you hit your 1,500th post in a thread about Big Frank's 1,500th RBI. Congrats!
WSI / Baseball symmetry - catch it!

SMO
:gulp:

TheOldRoman
06-08-2006, 03:07 PM
If Frank does indeed come back next year, I hope he changes his swing and goes back to an "average first" attitude. His power numbers aren't really better than they were when he hit for a high average, but he is sacrificing a lot. I love Frank, but I would hate to see him finish his career with an average below .300 because he had to come back for two subpar years with the A's.

voodoochile
06-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Since Haarold's RBI stats were mentioned in this thread, I thought I would point out that he is the only player eligible for the HOF with 1500+ RBI not currently inducted. :(:

Vernam
06-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Since Haarold's RBI stats were mentioned in this thread, I thought I would point out that he is the only player eligible for the HOF with 1500+ RBI not currently inducted. :(:That really is a shame. If Harold's knee hadn't failed him, Frank might've had some competition for the title of Best Hitter in Sox History. HB couldn't put up the same power numbers, but that guy was absolutely cold-blooded with men on base, even as a rookie.

Vernam

Trav
06-08-2006, 07:35 PM
That really is a shame. If Harold's knee hadn't failed him, Frank might've had some competition for the title of Best Hitter in Sox History. HB couldn't put up the same power numbers, but that guy was absolutely cold-blooded with men on base, even as a rookie.

Vernam

And you can't teach clutch. And steroids don't help it either. If the HOF can't realize a HOF caliber player; I don't have much respect for the HOF.

BadgerChisox
06-09-2006, 12:21 AM
It is nice to see the big Hurt climbing his way to 500 homers. I was at his first game back, sitting next to a couple of idiots booing him while he made his way to the plate. I was disgusted. People seem to forget that Frank Thomas was White Sox baseball for 15 years. I remember sitting at old comisky park as a young child and when Frank went to the plate, the ballpark just stopped. Of Course, I can't defend all of the things that have came out of his mouth, but hey, he will be a hall of Famer, in a White Sox uniform. Big ups to the Big Hurt

RKMeibalane
06-09-2006, 10:39 AM
It is nice to see the big Hurt climbing his way to 500 homers. I was at his first game back, sitting next to a couple of idiots booing him while he made his way to the plate. I was disgusted. People seem to forget that Frank Thomas was White Sox baseball for 15 years. I remember sitting at old comisky park as a young child and when Frank went to the plate, the ballpark just stopped. Of Course, I can't defend all of the things that have came out of his mouth, but hey, he will be a hall of Famer, in a White Sox uniform. Big ups to the Big Hurt

Welcome aboard! :redneck

soxfantony
06-09-2006, 11:40 AM
its nice to see that hes doing good, i just wish he was still on the white sox!!

Frater Perdurabo
06-09-2006, 11:56 AM
its nice to see that hes doing good, i just wish he was still on the white sox!!

Yeah, it's funny that people are complaining that the Sox don't have a decent right-handed bat off the bench...

soxfantony
06-09-2006, 03:19 PM
well people are saying that frank was the best player ever on the sox. u have to take it into consideration that on top of having the most homers ever on the sox, he also has the most strikeouts. but we would be doing a whole lot better with him right now.

CHISOXFAN13
06-09-2006, 03:22 PM
well people are saying that frank was the best player ever on the sox. u have to take it into consideration that on top of having the most homers ever on the sox, he also has the most strikeouts. but we would be doing a whole lot better with him right now.

How do you figure exactly?

ilsox7
06-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Yeah, it's funny that people are complaining that the Sox don't have a decent right-handed bat off the bench...

It's funny people think Frank would have accepted being a pinch hitter for a season.

Frater Perdurabo
06-09-2006, 03:44 PM
It's funny people think Frank would have accepted being a pinch hitter for a season.

No, but I do think Frank would have accepted a reduced role in which he would start at DH against lefties and would be first off the bench to pinch-hit in any situation, just to stay with the Sox. But it's water under the bridge now, as the Sox have the #1 home run hitter in the league (even if Thome is just OK against LHP while murdering RHP).

RKMeibalane
06-09-2006, 05:29 PM

Agreed. I don't think he ever would have accepted that, especially since it's clear that he can still play every day. Add to that the fact that his career numbers as a pinch-hitter are atrocious, and you have all the makings of a bad situation.

I've been as big of a Frank-supporter as anyone, but I think he's better off in Oakland, and the Sox are better off with Jim Thome.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Takes Big Bird yard.

Chips and The Dude (formerly known as Canseco here) are devastated. :redneck

RKMeibalane
06-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Frank Thomas just connected for his 15th home run of the season, coming against Randy Johnson at Yankee Stadium. The home run- to right-center field- is #463 for Thomas, as he moves past Jose Canseco for 26th place on the all-time home run list.

Jjav829
06-10-2006, 10:52 AM
[:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: ]Stop talking about Frank! He's gone! Get over it. Obsessing over Frank depreciates Jim Thome! [/:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: ]

Paulwny
06-10-2006, 12:48 PM
In a great 11 pitch at bat, Frank hits one out in the 1st inning against Mussina.

churlish
06-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Although it's a little sad that Frank doesn't hit for average much anymore, when he gets hot, he hits HRs as fast as anyone I've ever seen.

voodoochile
06-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Although it's a little sad that Frank doesn't hit for average much anymore, when he gets hot, he hits HRs as fast as anyone I've ever seen.

Wait and see. He seems to be heating up a bit which is more typical for him this time of year. He's up about 40 points in the last 3 weeks.

Those 15 HR and 36 RBI look alright too and his OPS is up to .860 on the season - .950 the last 7 days.

RKMeibalane
06-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Wait and see. He seems to be heating up a bit which is more typical for him this time of year. He's up about 40 points in the last 3 weeks.

Those 15 HR and 36 RBI look alright too and his OPS is up to .860 on the season - .950 the last 7 days.

Agreed. His average is low because he started off poorly. He has time to continue raising it.

PAPChiSox729
06-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Thomas hit his 16th HR today off of Mike Mussina. It was a line drive right down the LF line. Keep it goin', Big Hurt!

RKMeibalane
06-10-2006, 01:27 PM
It's going to be hard for Macha to leave Frank on the bench once the A's travel to National League parks, but he can't risk Thomas hurting his foot again.

Beauty35thStreet
06-10-2006, 03:44 PM
It's going to be hard for Macha to leave Frank on the bench once the A's travel to National League parks, but he can't risk Thomas hurting his foot again.

I've been following the A's quite a bit. They have Dan Johnson and Nick Swisher, both of whom can play 1B, with Johnson being pretty good at it. The reason why I mention this is because the As also have problems in getting enough people to play in the OF with Milton Bradley now back, Swish, Kotsay, and Jay Payton. In addition, I believe #35 was quoted as saying he didn't want to play 1B this year b/c he didn't want to risk injury. Macha is pretty decent IMO. I know he'd rather have #35 in there playing, but he just can't risk playing him.

In addition to what a lot of people were saying, I really believe 35 is better off with the As since he would not have recieved the playing time he deserves with Thome here. He definatley has proven to be an everyday player. At the time, I don't see how some one can objectively say they should have signed 35 and not traded ARow. Although I personally didn't like the deals (not anything against Thome, I just like ARow and 35 is my favorite player ever), I felt they were the right thing to do at the time. Time will tell (postseason) if these moves were good or not.

RKMeibalane
06-10-2006, 04:03 PM
I've been following the A's quite a bit. They have Dan Johnson and Nick Swisher, both of whom can play 1B, with Johnson being pretty good at it. The reason why I mention this is because the As also have problems in getting enough people to play in the OF with Milton Bradley now back, Swish, Kotsay, and Jay Payton. In addition, I believe #35 was quoted as saying he didn't want to play 1B this year b/c he didn't want to risk injury. Macha is pretty decent IMO. I know he'd rather have #35 in there playing, but he just can't risk playing him.

One possibility is that Macha could start the game with Frank at 1B, and remove him once the A's took the field in the bottom of the first. He did this back in ST against the Giants, starting Frank at SS and batting him third. Bobby Crosby took over in the bottom of the inning. It would be a way to keep him in the lineup for one at-bat, so that he doesn't cool off, yet also protect him from injury.

fquaye149
06-10-2006, 04:04 PM

.364 .462 .818

He now has 460 career homers and his season numbers are:

.229 .353 .484

At his current pace, Frank should hit about 22-25 more homers this season, which would have him 15-18 shy of the ever-important 500.

He is conforming to his career norms, always started out slow and got hot in late-May and had very potent times throughout the next 3 months.

The A's broadcasters are talking about him playing next year and about him as a lock for the HOF.

Look. I love Frank, and I hope he hits .300 with 50 home runs this year. I think it's great he's still hitting for good power and drawing walks. But Farm, I mean for chrissake: how on earth are the naysayers wrong? I wish Frank nothing but the best but

a.) I'm absolutely SHOCKED he's done what he's done (stayed healthy that is. I'm not at all surprised that he can still mash)

b.) even these numbers would NOT have been an improvement over Thome or Konerko.

His OPS is in the low 800's... since he was not going to be a bench player, it was either him or Thome or Konerko. There was no room for three. Despite being a jackass about the whole situation, Kenny made the right decision.

He's doing "just fine" in Oakland? Perhaps, but just fine wasn't going to cut it for a starting role for us. Frank remains my favorite player in the history of baseball, but to act like this refutes the idea that it was Frank's time to go is a little ridiculous.

RKMeibalane
06-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Look. I love Frank, and I hope he hits .300 with 50 home runs this year. I think it's great he's still hitting for good power and drawing walks. But Farm, I mean for chrissake: how on earth are the naysayers wrong? I wish Frank nothing but the best but

a.) I'm absolutely SHOCKED he's done what he's done (stayed healthy that is. I'm not at all surprised that he can still mash)

b.) even these numbers would NOT have been an improvement over Thome or Konerko.

His OPS is in the low 800's... since he was not going to be a bench player, it was either him or Thome or Konerko. There was no room for three. Despite being a jackass about the whole situation, Kenny made the right decision.

He's doing "just fine" in Oakland? Perhaps, but just fine wasn't going to cut it for a starting role for us. Frank remains my favorite player in the history of baseball, but to act like this refutes the idea that it was Frank's time to go is a little ridiculous.

Nobody here thinks that the Sox should have kept him. As for his numbers, the reason why his OPS is low is because he started slowly. What he's done over the past three to four weeks is much more indicative of what he's capable of.

fquaye149
06-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Nobody here thinks that the Sox should have kept him. As for his numbers, the reason why his OPS is low is because he started slowly. What he's done over the past three to four weeks is much more indicative of what he's capable of.

Of course it is, but health is still an issue. He had quite a stretch with us last year, if you recall. We all know Frank has been capable of MVP numbers as recently as 2000. Health has stymied that.

What I take issue with is the idea that this has "silenced the naysayers". Are there some naysayers on this board I'm not aware of that said "Frank Thomas will never have a good month again in his career"?

I hope he keeps this up and stays healthy all season long. Then I'd be wrong when I, and most everyone else on the board, said "I don't think he can put together 2000 caliber numbers for an entire season." But then again, even if he does, it doesn't mean he wasn't a huge risk during the offseason when we weren't sure if he'd ever play again...

anewman35
06-10-2006, 04:16 PM
One possibility is that Macha could start the game with Frank at 1B, and remove him once the A's took the field in the bottom of the first. He did this back in ST against the Giants, starting Frank at SS and batting him third. Bobby Crosby took over in the bottom of the inning. It would be a way to keep him in the lineup for one at-bat, so that he doesn't cool off, yet also protect him from injury.

That seems kind of silly, though. Why not just use him as a pinch hitter every game? In an NL ballpark, unless the pitcher is just amazing odds are at the very least you'll need to pinch hit for him at least once.

RKMeibalane
06-10-2006, 04:50 PM
That seems kind of silly, though. Why not just use him as a pinch hitter every game? In an NL ballpark, unless the pitcher is just amazing odds are at the very least you'll need to pinch hit for him at least once.

Frank has never been effective as a pinch-hitter. If you're wondering what the difference is, it is that putting him in the lineup for one at-bat establishes a routine, whereas pinch-hitting appearances late in games can be sporadic. Frank has said numerous times that he's a creature of habit, as evidenced by his spending time in the batting cage or watching film when it wasn't his turn to bat.

RKMeibalane
06-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Of course it is, but health is still an issue. He had quite a stretch with us last year, if you recall. We all know Frank has been capable of MVP numbers as recently as 2000. Health has stymied that.

What I take issue with is the idea that this has "silenced the naysayers". Are there some naysayers on this board I'm not aware of that said "Frank Thomas will never have a good month again in his career"?

I hope he keeps this up and stays healthy all season long. Then I'd be wrong when I, and most everyone else on the board, said "I don't think he can put together 2000 caliber numbers for an entire season." But then again, even if he does, it doesn't mean he wasn't a huge risk during the offseason when we weren't sure if he'd ever play again...

I think ondafarm's comment was directed at the Frank-haters, who refuse to believe that Thomas can do anything right, regardless of the circumstances. Two individuals whose names I won't mention were ripped to shreds last month because of comments they made along those lines.

Deebs14
06-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Thomas hit his 16th HR today off of Mike Mussina. It was a line drive right down the LF line. Keep it goin', Big Hurt!

That ball was ****ing crushed...might've broken a seat if nobody was around it!

DSpivack
06-10-2006, 05:35 PM

That would've been bad for Frank and the Sox. It wastes a seat on the bench, and would've taken bats away, even if just a few, from Thome and/or Konerko; and since Frank (and Thome) can't play the field, Gload would've had to been kept just for that sole reason, effectively wasting two bench spots.

So far, Frank is a pretty damn good DH, but not as good as Thome. Thus, the White Sox improved, even if it meant not resigning the greatest player in franchise history.

Frontman
06-11-2006, 12:37 AM
That ball was ****ing crushed...might've broken a seat if nobody was around it!

It didn't break the fan sitting there, I hope!

:wink:

ondafarm
06-11-2006, 09:25 AM
I think ondafarm's comment was directed at the Frank-haters, who refuse to believe that Thomas can do anything right, regardless of the circumstances. Two individuals whose names I won't mention were ripped to shreds last month because of comments they made along those lines.

Yes.

There were comments that he should be retiring now and that he'd be broken down for the season and that he had no shot of reaching 500 homers.

I've never said having Frank would be better than having Thome. But Frank still has value and is still a great player, if not quite up to his 2000 MVP caliber form.

Was there room on the Sox for Frank this year? No. Thome is more valuable.
Was there room in baseball for him? Absolutely yes. And he's doing just fine for an Oakland franchise which is hoping to make the playoffs.

MadetoOrta
06-11-2006, 09:32 AM
There wasn't room for Frank on the Sox because of the $10 million guaranty. What did Oakland guaranty Frank? $500,000? The Sox made the correct decision and we wish him well. Personally, I'm rooting for him to reach 500 HRs to make it hard for the east coast writers to keep him out of the HOF.

GOGOGOPODS
06-11-2006, 09:42 AM
The Big Hurt keeps on inching closer to 500... lets go Frank stay healthy!

Paulwny
06-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Frank out of Sunday's line-up, possible groin pull, day to day status.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
There's an old flame burning in your eyes that tears can't drown and make-up can't disguise.

RKMeibalane
06-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Frank out of Sunday's line-up, possible groin pull, day to day status.

There's an old flame burning in your eyes that tears can't drown and make-up can't disguise.

It's the same nagging problem that's been bothering him since the Toronto series last month.

HomeFish
06-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Frank has never been effective as a pinch-hitter.

He did hit that one HR against Colorado as a pinch-hitter.

Same game that Crede hit his HR that shoota nullified, iirc. And Cliff Politte singled.

RKMeibalane
06-11-2006, 01:10 PM
He did hit that one HR against Colorado as a pinch-hitter.

Same game that Crede hit his HR that shoota nullified, iirc. And Cliff Politte singled.

Yes, he did, but that was one at-bat. Historically, his pinch-hitting numbers have been awful.

compy75
06-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Why is it even being discussed over and over again that Frank could have pinch hit? You don't make a comeback and get your timing back by pinch hitting all year. You sure as hell don't hit 52 home runs as a pinch hitter with an ankle that could go anytime. To reach Frank's stated goal of 1) Playing till he's 40 and 2) Hittign 500 home runs, he needed to play every day. It wasn't an option here and he would not have taken a bench role. Reality is in baseball once you've become a bench player, it's hard to shed that role. So, I say good for Frank but anyone who has seen him "run" the bases knows he wouldn't have fit here. Oh and for those curious he has the top OPS in the AL the last three weeks.

ondafarm
06-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Frank update:

42-179 = .235

42H + 31W = .352 OBP

22 Singles 4 DBL 16 HR = .525 SLG

At current pace, 2006 year totals would be

138 games, 466 AB, 42 HR which would put him at 490 career homers.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2006, 08:05 PM
After getting the day off on Sunday, Frank Thomas is back in the lineup for Tuesday evening's game against the Seattle Mariners and Jamie Moyer.

RKMeibalane
06-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Frank Thomas will be activated from the 15-day DL and return to the lineup Friday against Arizona, per the A's official site.

ondafarm
06-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Frank Thomas definate on returning today Friday 6/30

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/06/30/SPGO4JMBL01.DTL

RKMeibalane
07-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Frank Thomas just connected for his eighteenth home run of the season (466 career) against Brandon Webb in the 1st inning at MacAfee Coloseum.

Edit: His home run came in the second inning.

ondafarm
07-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Frank Thomas just connected for his eighteenth home run of the season (466 career) against Brandon Webb in the 1st inning at MacAfee Coloseum.

Edit: His home run came in the second inning.

Line drive to left leading off the second.

Sox-o-matic
07-03-2006, 03:00 AM
Frank could come up to the plate with a pair of wooden legs and a parrot on his shoulder and he'd still be the scariest guy I've ever seen in a batters box. He'll have 500 some time next year and then we can put his number up.

TDog
07-03-2006, 03:04 AM
Frank Thomas is irrelevant to the Sox. As long as the A's continue to lose, I don't care how well he does.

The Sox are better out without him. Seriously.

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2006, 03:14 AM
Frank Thomas is irrelevant to the Sox. As long as the A's continue to lose, I don't care how well he does.

The Sox are better out without him. Seriously.But, you see, that's not the point. Frank was without question the best player on the Sox for many years. A lot of us still care how he is doing because of that. It has nothing to do with wishing he was still here.

ondafarm
07-03-2006, 11:47 AM

Which is why this thread is in talking baseball. Frank Thomas is a baseball player and some of us remain fans of his. He is the best player to ever wear the White Sox uniform.

I don't think anyone has expressed the opinion that the Sox would be better with Frank on the team. Thome is the better option.

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Like NellieFox, I like reading about Frank because he reamains the greatest hitter every to play for the White Sox (Dick Allen might come close, but he didn't play long enough for the Sox). However, I do still wish that Frank was on the Sox. I think that given the versatility of Cintron, Ozuna and Mackowiak - who could play first base if called upon to do so - Frank still could be a valuable part of the team as the primary DH against LHP and the primary pinch hitter. But that train has sailed, so I'm just glad to see him finish his march to the HOF.

On anothe note: One month to get a tomato. That has to be some kind of record. Usually threads are so hot that they get tomatoes quickly. Or they don't get enough interest to get anywhere near 100 posts. This certainly is a unique thread.

:tomatoaward

Deuce
07-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Frank Thomas is irrelevant to the Sox. As long as the A's continue to lose, I don't care how well he does.Detroit is playing the A's this week... with a little luck, Oakland will play their best baseball and give us some breathing room before the Break.

RKMeibalane
07-03-2006, 01:33 PM

No one disputes your second point. However, there are many posters who are still actively rooting for Frank and want him to do well. That's why this thread was started.

JorgeFabregas
07-07-2006, 12:06 AM
From the box score, Frank seems to have hit a game-winning home for the Athletics tonight.

Dibbs
07-07-2006, 12:11 AM
2 run walk-off homer for the Big Hurt.

19th of the season. 467th of his career.

ondafarm
07-07-2006, 12:13 AM
From the box score, Frank seems to have hit a game-winning home for the Athletics tonight.

A two-run walk-off jack, two outs on a 3-0 pitch. No doubt about it, Frank crushed it.

nasox
07-07-2006, 12:35 AM
A two-run walk-off jack, two outs on a 3-0 pitch. No doubt about it, Frank crushed it.

It is up on mlb.com

That was a bomb. Homers the bay area had only previously seen with steroid aided players.

TDog
07-07-2006, 12:39 AM
2 run walk-off homer for the Big Hurt.

19th of the season. 467th of his career.

Giving the A's the win, of course. I really hate the A's and was hoping the Mariners would pass them by the break.

I really could have done without this home run. I didn't want thomas to hit home runs against the Sox, and I don't want him to win games for the A's.

Nellie_Fox
07-07-2006, 12:57 AM
I really could have done without this home run. I didn't want thomas to hit home runs against the Sox, and I don't want him to win games for the A's.Yeah, well, life's a beach. Because of Frank, I follow every A's game as closely as I can via the internet, and love to see Frank doing well.

Suburbanbuddha
07-07-2006, 01:41 AM
Amen to that.

I wish nothing but the best for Frank and hope he gets his 500.

Here's to the Sox knocking the A's out in the ALCS (or Detroit or Toronto - anyone but Boston or NY - sick of seeing those two in the playofs)

TDog
07-07-2006, 06:42 AM
Yeah, well, life's a beach. Because of Frank, I follow every A's game as closely as I can via the internet, and love to see Frank doing well.

In the early '70s there were always a couple of fights between the A's and Sox every year. Bart Johnson comes too far in or there's a hard tag on the bases, and it's an excuse for two teams who hate each other to throw punches. When the Sox were in the American League West, the A's were like the Yankees were to the Sox in the '50s and '60s. More recently, the A's have been throwing around that Billy Beene crap and until the the sweep by the Sox this year, they've been treating the Sox like a rent mule. Compound that with the fact that the A's were until recently probably the most juiced team in baseball.

I don't see how anyone can be a true Sox fan and root for the A's. It's like cheering for the Yankees.

TornLabrum
07-07-2006, 07:54 AM
In the early '70s there were always a couple of fights between the A's and Sox every year. Bart Johnson comes too far in or there's a hard tag on the bases, and it's an excuse for two teams who hate each other to throw punches. When the Sox were in the American League West, the A's were like the Yankees were to the Sox in the '50s and '60s. More recently, the A's have been throwing around that Billy Beene crap and until the the sweep by the Sox this year, they've been treating the Sox like a rent mule. Compound that with the fact that the A's were until recently probably the most juiced team in baseball.

I don't see how anyone can be a true Sox fan and root for the A's. It's like cheering for the Yankees.

Let me preface this by saying I'm speaking as a user here, not a mod.

Let's knock off this "true Sox fan" crap. Except for the occasional fan of another team who comes here because he likes the discussion, every person here is a true White Sox fan.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Giving the A's the win, of course. I really hate the A's and was hoping the Mariners would pass them by the break.

I really could have done without this home run. I didn't want thomas to hit home runs against the Sox, and I don't want him to win games for the A's.

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

RKMeibalane
07-07-2006, 08:07 AM

I'm not cheering for the A's. I'm cheering for Frank Thomas, the greatest player in Chicago White Sox history.

Baby Fisk
07-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Earlier in the game, Frank hit one that looked like it might go out. I love every single HR he hits. Way go to, big dude. :bandance:

And if anyone's fretting about the so-called "Oakland Athletics", the Sox will sort things out in the playoffs should they meet. You think Kenny Williams won't have his team motivated to destroy the army of Billy Beane?

:KW
"We will cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks."

tstrike2000
07-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Continued luck and health for the Big Man this year and a future HOF.

TDog
07-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Let me preface this by saying I'm speaking as a user here, not a mod.

Let's knock off this "true Sox fan" crap. Except for the occasional fan of another team who comes here because he likes the discussion, every person here is a true White Sox fan.

I understand that. The words were poorly chosen. It just amazes me that people can be happy the A's won. What I experienced as a Sox fan taught me to hate the A's more than any other team, including the Cubs. That didn't change when Harold Baines went to play in Oakland, and it didn't change when Frank Thomas signed on with the A's.

It also annoyed me that people cheered in Chicago after Thomas homed against the Sox.

hi im skot
07-07-2006, 12:11 PM
It also annoyed me that people cheered in Chicago after Thomas homed against the Sox.

God forbid for show our love and appreciation for Frank.

It was a classic Big Hurt homer...I'll never get tired of seeing those (as long as the Sox pull off the W).

Frank is one of the major reasons I first started following baseball. He'll always have my respect.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2006, 01:01 PM

I wasn't bothered by that, mainly because I knew the Sox would win the game anyway. :cool:

RKMeibalane
07-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Check this out:

HR/AB Ratio (Minimum: 200 AB)
1. Albert Pujols 9.0
2. Jim Thome 9.4
3. Jason Giambi 10
4. Frank Thomas 10.8
5. Ryan Howard 11
6. Adam Dunn 11.2
7. Travis Hafner 11.2
8. Carlos Beltran 11.3
9. David Ortiz 11.4
10. Manny Ramirez 11.7

hawkjt
07-07-2006, 01:28 PM
I root for the Big Hurt at all times. I dislike the team he plays for. No problem.

I guess Macha- ''give him the green light'' as hawk would say.

Good decision.

Big Frank- 19 hrs, 44 rbis. in an injury plagued first half. It is looking like the bad year he had in 98 or 99 where everyone jumped on his bad batting average while he still had over 110 rbis. Even in his bad years he either hits .300 or drives in 100 or hits 40 hrs.

Heard Tim Kuertchen just this morning say that Frank was not a lock for HOF. And this guy fancies himself a baseball expert? dipwad.

southwstchi4life
07-07-2006, 01:36 PM
that a boy big frank, of course hof.
as a Chicago White Sox
Best baseball player anyone in Chicago has seen

ode to veeck
07-07-2006, 03:14 PM
It is up on mlb.com

That was a bomb. Homers the bay area had only previously seen with steroid aided players.

Frank hit one last year in the Colleseum, let me correct that TOTALLY CRUSHED one, while West and I sat in the Diamond Boxes (scout seats) with the totally amazed A's fans jaws around their ankles

RKMeibalane
07-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Frank hit one last year in the Colleseum, let me correct that TOTALLY CRUSHED one, while West and I sat in the Diamond Boxes (scout seats) with the totally amazed A's fans jaws around their ankles

I remember that.

:hawk

"Stay fair... it will, you can put it on the board, yes! A monster by the Big Hurt, and the Sox lead it 1-0."

Mercy!
07-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Check this out:

HR/AB Ratio (Minimum: 200 AB)
1. Albert Pujols 9.0
2. Jim Thome 9.4
3. Jason Giambi 10
4. Frank Thomas 10.8
5. Ryan Howard 11
6. Adam Dunn 11.2
7. Travis Hafner 11.2
8. Carlos Beltran 11.3
9. David Ortiz 11.4
10. Manny Ramirez 11.7 Wouldn't that be an AB/HR ratio?:?:

RKMeibalane
07-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Wouldn't that be an AB/HR ratio?:?:

It would. But considering I found this at Soxtalk, it's not surprising someone got it wrong. :cool:

FarWestChicago
07-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Yeah, well, life's a beach. Because of Frank, I follow every A's game as closely as I can via the internet, and love to see Frank doing well.Nellie, the A's and all of their disgusting FOBB fans are a blight on baseball. I want Frank to do well while those scumbags lose every single game. And I like Ken Macha, too. But, Billy "The Ego" Beane and the dirtbag fans outweigh Frank and Macha.

FarWestChicago
07-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Frank hit one last year in the Colleseum, let me correct that TOTALLY CRUSHED one, while West and I sat in the Diamond Boxes (scout seats) with the totally amazed A's fans jaws around their anklesThat ball was mashed. It was ridiculous. It went up into 'roided Canseco/McGwire territory.

JorgeFabregas
07-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Frank hit an RBI-single in the 11th today for what proved to be the winning run.

RKMeibalane
07-14-2006, 06:22 AM
Frank hit an RBI-single in the 11th today for what proved to be the winning run.

Well done, Frank! You are still the man. :worship:

mccombe_35
07-14-2006, 08:08 AM
That ball was mashed. It was ridiculous. It went up into 'roided Canseco/McGwire territory.

Pretty sure you guys are talking about the one he hit off Zito. 460 ft into the 2nd deck. It was the longest HR of the year in Oak.

RKMeibalane
07-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Frank finished today's game vs. Boston 1-1 with a single. He left the game due to an upset stomach.

Nellie_Fox
07-17-2006, 01:16 AM
The big man's OPS is up to .890.

rowand33
07-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Frank hit number 20 of the season today and raised his average to .249 on the year.

way to go big guy. :gulp:

Jaffar
07-19-2006, 02:20 PM
I was on my way here to update this thing, before his number 20 he had a 2 out 2 run base hit. I hope he stays hot like the weather.

the gooch
07-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Frank hit number 20 of the season today and raised his average to .249 on the year.

way to go big guy. :gulp:
YES! I just made $20. Thanks Frank!

MisterB
07-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Wow...despite having 92 fewer at-bats, Hurt is only 1 homer and 4 rbi's behind Nick Swisher for the team lead in those categories. :o:

RKMeibalane
07-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Wow...despite having 92 fewer at-bats, Hurt is only 1 homer and 4 rbi's behind Nick Swisher for the team lead in those categories. :o:

A number of A's fans believe that Thomas is their team's best hitter, and feel that he's the reason why they're in first place right now. I can't imagine where I've heard that before.

There's no question the Sox are better off as they are right now, but it's good to see the Big Hurt doing damage again. I'd be surprised if the A's don't offer him a contract extension of some sort- perhaps a series of option years. If he's not back in Oakland in '07, I would imagine there are several teams that would be interested in signing him.

rowand33
07-19-2006, 05:28 PM
as of right now, this is Thomas's projected season line:

139 G 458 AB 70 R 114 H 8 2B 39 HR 98 RBI .249 AVG .895 OPS

pretty damned nice. would put him at 486 HR for his career. Only 14 shy of 500.

Quite the comeback year for The Big Hurt. good stuff.

zmz723
07-19-2006, 05:49 PM

wow, way to go frank!!!

veeter
07-19-2006, 05:55 PM
This may have been said already, but Most of Frank's hits/ homers have been very clutch for the A's. I love it. The guy's one of the all time greats, and he's proving that more and more every day.

southwstchi4life
07-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Way to go big Frank.
Best pure hitter in Sox History, id even say in Chicago history

Jaffar
07-20-2006, 08:13 AM

The crazy part with these stats is they never prodict the average, they just keep it the same. His average has just been going up and up since he came back to Chicago.

salty99
07-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Great job Big Man! Now if only you could run.

palehozenychicty
07-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Great job Big Man! Now if only you could run.

Well, the A's do not run either, so he fits in perfectly!

RKMeibalane
07-20-2006, 04:03 PM
The crazy part with these stats is they never prodict the average, they just keep it the same. His average has just been going up and up since he came back to Chicago.

There's no real way to project a player's batting average, because it is an average. I suppose they could work out a way to determine the rate of increase in his average and then use that to extrapolate a new average, but there's no guarantee that it would increase in the first place.

soxinem1
07-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Now that he's shaken off the rust of inactivity for most of the last two seasons, his batting eye and swing are sharp again. Pretty low K total, walks are climbing with the BA.

Once he came to Chicago a few months back he started to pick his game up. What I'd really like to see is his average get to .300+ again, that would be nice.

Jenks4Pres
07-24-2006, 05:36 PM
Update on Big Hurt: He is still a baby and He still Sux!

CLR01
07-24-2006, 05:59 PM

Poor thing...everyone got an autgraph but you, huh.:whiner:

RKMeibalane
07-24-2006, 07:19 PM

:rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
07-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Update on Big Hurt: He is still a baby and He still Sux!And the ignore list grows.

ND_Sox_Fan
07-24-2006, 08:03 PM

Some people just have no idea what it is like to actually play the game.

ilsox7
07-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Some people just have no idea what it is like to actually play the game.

And in this case, you can add that some people have no clue how to watch and comment intelligently on the game.

Daver
07-24-2006, 08:20 PM

You've got "You're Looking At a Moron" written on top of the mirror in your bathroom don't you?

compy75
07-25-2006, 12:06 AM
Click the link of Frank since the White Sox series.

http://www.athleticsnation.com/story/2006/7/21/13301/3433#commenttop

CLR01
07-25-2006, 02:18 AM

So that's what a BP convention looks like.

RKMeibalane
07-25-2006, 10:44 AM

Now we know what jeremyb1 dreams about at night. :cool:

LongLiveFisk
07-25-2006, 12:01 PM

I didn't know he ever did "suck". :dunno:

JorgeFabregas
07-25-2006, 07:41 PM
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/07/23/SPG9FK46GI1.DTL

cleanwsox
07-26-2006, 04:28 PM
2 more dongs today and 4 RBI's. Up to 22 on the year, inching closer to 500!

ND_Sox_Fan
07-26-2006, 04:48 PM

I don't want to hi-jack this thread or create another thread wondering on about this, but:

Is Frank available? (note the half-deeppink, half-teal).

Mr. White Sox
07-26-2006, 04:49 PM
:hawk:
"Where would he play?"
Seriously.
And no, he's not available.

RKMeibalane
07-26-2006, 05:01 PM
I don't want to hi-jack this thread or create another thread wondering on about this, but:

Is Frank available? (note the half-deeppink, half-teal).

Nope. Frank has been Oakland's best hitter over the past two months, and as the A's are in the middle of a pennant race, I doubt they're going to unload him when they still have a chance to win their division.

OTOH, I suppose they could always move Uribe to CF, Crede to SS, Konerko to 3B, and Thome to 1B.

:jerry

"I like your thinking on this, Ravi."

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

ND_Sox_Fan
07-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Nope. Frank has been Oakland's best hitter over the past two months, and as the A's are in the middle of a pennant race, I doubt they're going to unload him when they still have a chance to win their division.

OTOH, I suppose they could always move Uribe to CF, Crede to SS, Konerko to 3B, and Thome to 1B.

:jerry

"I like your thinking on this, Ravi."

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

I know - I was more than semi-kidding, which is why I put the disclaimer on my first post. He won't be leaving Oakland anytime soon. I was just saying - it would be nice to have him back (and I won't even speculate on the type of trade that could free up a spot for him on our roster).

RKMeibalane
07-26-2006, 05:31 PM
I know - I was more than semi-kidding, which is why I put the disclaimer on my first post. He won't be leaving Oakland anytime soon. I was just saying - it would be nice to have him back (and I won't even speculate on the type of trade that could free up a spot for him on our roster).

I know what you meant.

It would be nice to have his bat around, but offense isn't really the problem with the Sox right now. Most of the A's fans I've talked to want him back for next season, though I would speculate other teams will be interested in him if he can stay healthy. I could see Minnesota, Toronto, and the Angels all making a run at him if Oakland doesn't re-sign him. We'll see what happens.

ND_Sox_Fan
07-26-2006, 05:45 PM
I know what you meant.

It would be nice to have his bat around, but offense isn't really the problem with the Sox right now. Most of the A's fans I've talked to want him back for next season, though I would speculate other teams will be interested in him if he can stay healthy. I could see Minnesota, Toronto, and the Angels all making a run at him if Oakland doesn't re-sign him. We'll see what happens.

He is certainly a bargain right now - I would imagine he will cost the A's (or one of the other teams you mentioned) a few more dollars next year.

SABRSox
07-26-2006, 06:42 PM

Come on, Hurt! Get to that 500 milestone so even those sportswriters who were so unfair to you here in Chicago can't keep you out of the Hall.

rbeze09
07-26-2006, 11:53 PM
CONGRATS BIG HURT...U R THE MAN! 2 more bombs today gives u 470 for your career, well on ur way to the 500 HR milestone that guarantees enshrinement...Miss u more and more, but wish u the best, congrats

palehozenychicty
07-27-2006, 01:18 AM
The Big Hurt will never be on this team again as long as Kenny is the GM.

Frankly Missing
07-27-2006, 08:02 AM
Franks' homeruns were a bright spot in an otherwise dreary day.

Nellie_Fox
07-28-2006, 01:01 AM
And tonight Frank had a double and a walk, scored a run in Oakland's win over Toronto. The big man has his average up to .252 (was in the .180's a very short time ago,) OPS at .897. Leading the A's in RBI, despite far fewer AB.

CLR01
07-28-2006, 01:05 AM
And tonight Frank had a double and a walk, scored a run in Oakland's win over Toronto. The big man has his average up to .252 (was in the .180's a very short time ago,) OPS at .897. Leading the A's in RBI, despite far fewer AB.

Frank hit a double? That has to be at least a triple for anyone else. :o:

Nellie_Fox
07-28-2006, 01:34 AM
Frank hit a double? That has to be at least a triple for anyone else. :o:Yeah, I'd have liked to have seen it. Maybe his running is starting to improve a little.

Baby Fisk
07-28-2006, 04:00 AM
It was a nice poke into the left field corner. By the time Frank reached top speed rounding first, the ground must have been quaking! :o:

voodoochile
07-28-2006, 09:28 AM
I am very happy for Frank. He deserves to be healthy and have a good season to quiet all the naysayers.

It's the second season in a row that he has shown he is a force to be reckoned with when healthy.

Stay healthy and have yourself a season, big man.

Anyone who now doubts Frank's HOF status with or without the 500 HR is truly a total dumbass, IMO.

hold2dibber
07-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Anyone who now doubts Frank's HOF status with or without the 500 HR is truly a total dumbass, IMO.

It is impossible to make a reasonable, rational argument that Frank should not be in the HOF. For those who contend that he isn't worthy, the argument always devolves into either "he was a jerk" or "he was a DH," neither of which are relevant and neither of which in anyway diminish his achievements.

RKMeibalane
07-28-2006, 06:27 PM
It is impossible to make a reasonable, rational argument that Frank should not be in the HOF. For those who contend that he isn't worthy, the argument always devolves into either "he was a jerk" or "he was a DH," neither of which are relevant and neither of which in anyway diminish his achievements.

Especially since it's debatable that "he was a jerk" in the first place. Frank's biggest fault has always been his honesty. He says what's on his mind, even if it makes him look stupid. Some might call that being a jerk, and maybe it is, but if that's the case, then I have to ask the following question: What does that make obvious frauds like Sosa or McGwire, who tired to portray themselves as larger than life (perhaps literally) figures who could do no wrong?

rowand33
07-29-2006, 12:41 AM
after today's game Thomas is on pace for 40 homers!

his current line:

262 AB 42 R 66 H 5 2B 23 HR 59 RBI .252 AVG .379 OBP .534 SLG

his projected line:

455 AB 73 R 115 H 9 2B 40 HR 103 RBI .252 AVG .379 OBP .534 SLG

good stuff. I hope he gets there. he deserves it.

I'd hate to face him in the playoffs.

Nellie_Fox
07-29-2006, 12:47 AM
after today's game Thomas is on pace for 40 homers!

his current line:

262 AB 42 R 66 H 5 2B 23 HR 59 RBI .252 AVG .379 OBP .534 SLG
Notice that puts the OPS over .900, at .913. His numbers just keep climbing. I'm really happy for the big man.

Lyle Mouton
07-31-2006, 09:37 AM
I was at the mall yesterday and saw an A's jerseytee and got all excited, only to look on the back and see Crosby :(

TDog
08-03-2006, 01:49 AM
I was at the mall yesterday and saw an A's jerseytee and got all excited, only to look on the back and see Crosby :(

I find it disturbing that a White Sox fan would get excited over seeing an A's jersey in a store.

Dibbs
08-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Frank hit his 24th HR today to go along with 4 more RBIs (67). His average is up to .259. Not bad considering he was under .200 on May 24th.

Flight #24
08-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Frank hit his 24th HR today to go along with 4 more RBIs (67). His average is up to .259. Not bad considering he was under .200 on May 24th.

A .280/30/100 season for Frank coming off of injury and without playing a full season. :thumbsup:

Ought to be enough to get him a decent 1-year deal next year. Then I can still have hopes of him returning for his last year with the Sox, sharing time with Thome & winning another title on the S. Side.

But with KW here, probably not.:(:

TDog
08-07-2006, 01:03 PM

Unfortunately, the A's won. Had the Mariners swept the series, they could have caught the A's. This last home run was most unfortunate.

I don't care (or even know at the moment) how many home runs Jim Thome has as long as the Sox win. Personal stats mean nothing to me for Sox players. They mean less to me for players on other teams. I'm not not a Frank Thomas detractor. I'm just upset any time the A's win.

White Sox Randy
08-07-2006, 01:10 PM
I was hoping that we would keep Thomas and Thome. Also Carlos Lee should still be here. I think this TEAM would be great:

Thome at 1B, Thomas at DH, Lee in LF, Branyan at 3B, Dave Kingman in RF, Gorman Thomas in CF, Karkovice at C, Tony Batista at SS and Todd Walker at 2B.

Wouldn't that be fun to watch ?

caulfield12
08-07-2006, 01:41 PM
You forgot Rob Deer and Pete Incaviglia.

Maybe Jose Hernandez as a utility player.

ND_Sox_Fan
08-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Frank hit #25 this evening (solo shot in the 5th). Also added a walk and a second run scored.

Lyle Mouton
08-15-2006, 10:23 AM
I find it disturbing that a White Sox fan would get excited over seeing an A's jersey in a store.

Well i'm on the opposite coast, and the big man is my favorite player, and has been since I was 12 years old...how is that disturbing?

TDog
08-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Well i'm on the opposite coast, and the big man is my favorite player, and has been since I was 12 years old...how is that disturbing?

The A's have done a lot more bad things to the Sox in the last 35 years than the Yankees, Red Sox or even the Indians, Tigers or Twins have. Much of the A's success has come standing on the throat of the White Sox. From the frequent brawls in the '70s to the steroid crap and "Moneyball" hype of more recent days, I have loathed the A's for most of my life. Frank Thomas doesn't change that.

I've met hardcore A's fans. They hate the Sox as much as Sox fans hate the A's. It's baseball tradition.

Monday night's home run against the Mariners was upsetting because Thomas helped the A's win. I don't think it's reason to cheer when Thomas homers against the Sox, and I don't think it's reason to cheer when he helps the A's win. If the A's eliminate the Sox in the postseason, I won't be happy either.

I would be able to cheer for Thomas' success if he were with the Cubs because except for six games a year, the Cubs are irrelevant. I still wouldn't get excited about seeing a random Cubs jersey hanging in a store.

I will go on cheering for the Sox.

RKMeibalane
08-15-2006, 09:01 PM
A's Owner Hopes Thomas Returns for '07 (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AocHY8Unx9_LpTxX34RdrEYRvLYF?slug=ap-athletics-thomasfuture&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Dibbs
08-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Big Frank drilled his 26th HR last night in only 328 ABs on the season. It was number 474 for his career.

Lyle Mouton
08-20-2006, 10:49 AM
The A's have done a lot more bad things to the Sox in the last 35 years than the Yankees, Red Sox or even the Indians, Tigers or Twins have. Much of the A's success has come standing on the throat of the White Sox. From the frequent brawls in the '70s to the steroid crap and "Moneyball" hype of more recent days, I have loathed the A's for most of my life. Frank Thomas doesn't change that.

I've met hardcore A's fans. They hate the Sox as much as Sox fans hate the A's. It's baseball tradition.

Monday night's home run against the Mariners was upsetting because Thomas helped the A's win. I don't think it's reason to cheer when Thomas homers against the Sox, and I don't think it's reason to cheer when he helps the A's win. If the A's eliminate the Sox in the postseason, I won't be happy either.

I would be able to cheer for Thomas' success if he were with the Cubs because except for six games a year, the Cubs are irrelevant. I still wouldn't get excited about seeing a random Cubs jersey hanging in a store.

I will go on cheering for the Sox.

Why would you carry a grudge from garbage that happened 30 years ago? I couldn't care less, I wasn't around...I don't see any good reason to hate the A's more than any other team around right now, it seems like most of the guys on that team are good guys, and they have alot of young energy. I'm a Sox fan, but i'm also a baseball fan.

Jaffar
08-31-2006, 08:56 AM
This thread kind of got lost with the countdown for next year thread. Big Frank went 2-4 yesterday with an rbi and his current stats are
.270 avg 28 hr 79 rbi .391 obp .520 slg 70 bb 66 so

ondafarm
09-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Frank Thomas just hit his 30th home run of the year, 84th rbi as well. Both lead the A's team. This in his 444th PA of the season.

I'm thrilled for Frank, I think the A's will be bringing him back next year for a similar contract and a run at his 500th homer. Currently, 478 career. And with Frank hitting in the .270s this year, he will finish with a career average above .300.

Nellie_Fox
09-02-2006, 07:37 PM
I think the A's will be bringing him back next year for a similar contract and a run at his 500th homer. Currently, 478 career. There is no way Frank will take a contract like that again. He's going to want a lot more of the money guaranteed, and a lot more money period.

fram40
09-02-2006, 09:43 PM
Here's some love for Big Frank - one of the greatest players of all time.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5915284

I think it is a shame he was unable to contribute so little last year. A shame. He was - and still is - my favorite player. Ever.

ondafarm
09-02-2006, 10:15 PM
There is no way Frank will take a contract like that again. He's going to want a lot more of the money guaranteed, and a lot more money period.

Evidently, they are talking about a two year contract. I don't think they are talking a great deal more money, although most of it is guarenteed instead of perfromance based.

soxinem1
09-04-2006, 06:40 AM
Evidently, they are talking about a two year contract. I don't think they are talking a great deal more money, although most of it is guarenteed instead of perfromance based.

Frank will have made a total of about $6 million for this year, if you include his buyout from the White Sox. My bet is that he gets 2 years/$15 million from someone. Will the A's be able to pony that up? I am not so sure, unless they go deep into the playoffs.

Kub_Killer_15
09-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Frank Thomas just hit #31 on the season on his bobblehead day. Way to go Big Hurt!

Trav
09-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Frank Thomas just hit #31 on the season on his bobblehead day. Way to go Big Hurt!

And the homer was clutch, as well. It put the A's back into the game. He crushed it to dead center. The fans seem to like him. He gave them a curtain call. The A's anouncers can't say enough about him. I'm happy for the guy.

Dibbs
09-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Frank hit #32 this afternoon. I sure wish we still had him....

mrwag
09-06-2006, 04:21 PM
It'd be nice, but in all honestly the guy was a major question mark this year health-wise. We needed someone we could depend on, and we got him in Jim Thome. I am as big a fan of Frank as anyone.

Hitmen77
09-06-2006, 04:27 PM
It'd be nice, but in all honestly the guy was a major question mark this year health-wise. We needed someone we could depend on, and we got him in Jim Thome. I am as big a fan of Frank as anyone.

Agreed.

StockdaleForVeep
09-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Here's some love for Big Frank - one of the greatest players of all time.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5915284

I think it is a shame he was unable to contribute so little last year. A shame. He was - and still is - my favorite player. Ever.

Actually he contribited alot, he played for several of the indians games in that summer and was the primary reason we tied or won those games, includin a 9th inning hr off wickman. Take those games away, we dont win the central

fquaye149
09-06-2006, 04:54 PM
:thumbsup:Actually he contribited alot, he played for several of the indians games in that summer and was the primary reason we tied or won those games, includin a 9th inning hr off wickman. Take those games away, we dont win the central

Patrick134
09-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Actually he contribited alot, he played for several of the indians games in that summer and was the primary reason we tied or won those games, includin a 9th inning hr off wickman. Take those games away, we dont win the central

I remember the wickman homer, but i believe we lost that game. Frank was still definitely a big contributor regardless though.

fram40
09-07-2006, 05:23 PM
I meant contribute in the playoffs, especially the World Series. Big Frank deserved at-bats in the World Series - but was not healthy enough to get them.

ondafarm
09-07-2006, 10:08 PM

Agreed.

mccoydp
09-08-2006, 07:49 AM
I've been so caught up in the Sox's recent run that I've been neglecting the Big Frank thread.

It's so nice to see the big man doing well and crushing the ball...he continues to confound the mediots who declared him washed up and finished this season.

Bravo, Frank! :thumbsup:

TheLittleBulldog
09-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Frank hit #33 just now.....bringing his rbi total to 93.

ND_Sox_Fan
09-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Frank hit #33 just now.....bringing his rbi total to 93.

3-3 with a walk so far tonight to go along with it.

Average up to .275 - OBP up to .390

HR in three straight.

The Big Man shining in September - I love seeing it (too bad it's not with us)!

ondafarm
09-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Frank leads the A's in HR and RBIs. Good for the big man!!

IlliniSox4Life
09-09-2006, 04:32 AM
The Big Man shining in September - I love seeing it (too bad it's not with us)!

As bittersweet as it will be, I would loved to see the Big Hurt in the playoffs. I just hope he doesn't hurt us.

hawkjt
09-09-2006, 09:09 AM
I have a sinking feeling that Frank will have a big weekend against the sox in oakland- he feasts on Sox pitching. Then hopefully we meet them again in the ALCS - I have visions of Frank absolutely killing us.

He is on a tear just in time for the sox to come to town. It is frightening.

I luv the big guy but hope he cools off against us. He could literally cost us the playoffs.

TDog
09-09-2006, 11:23 AM
I have a sinking feeling that Frank will have a big weekend against the sox in oakland- he feasts on Sox pitching. Then hopefully we meet them again in the ALCS - I have visions of Frank absolutely killing us.

He is on a tear just in time for the sox to come to town. It is frightening.

I luv the big guy but hope he cools off against us. He could literally cost us the playoffs.

Even if the Sox get swept, some people around here will be excited and pull for the A's in the postseason.

And if the A's win it all, Thomas will talk about how his run with the A's meant so much more than to him than his years with the Sox.

I could get excited about the success of Frank Thomas if he was playing FOR the White Sox.

RKMeibalane
09-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Even if the Sox get swept, some people around here will be excited and pull for the A's in the postseason.

And? Believe it or not, there are people around here who don't care about what happened during the '70's, and have no problem rooting for Oakland. It's not wrong to like other American League teams.

And if the A's win it all, Thomas will talk about how his run with the A's meant so much more than to him than his years with the Sox.

Who knows? Maybe it does mean more to him that he's been successful with the A's. Think about it. Most people had written Frank off and never thought he'd be a productive player again, and he's proven the doubters wrong. Perhaps he feels as though what he's doing right now in his career is more important than what happened before. Even though he's spent most of his career in Chicago, that doesn't mean his years on the South Side are worth any more or less to him than what he's been able to accomplish this season.

TheLittleBulldog
09-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Frank just hit #34.

RKMeibalane
09-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Frank just hit #34.

Yes, he did. That's #482 of his career.

Dibbs
09-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Another night, another update.

Frank is going NuTs!!! He doesn't even have 400 ABs on the year. Frank is truly the comeback player of the year.

ondafarm
09-09-2006, 09:39 PM

Frank is going NuTs!!! He doesn't even have 400 ABs on the year. Frank is truly the comeback player of the year.

He's got 473 PA this year: 402 AB and 71 BB.

He'll have his 500 PA soon.

FarWestChicago
09-09-2006, 10:32 PM
And? Believe it or not, there are people around here who don't care about what happened during the '70's, and have no problem rooting for Oakland. It's not wrong to like other American League teams.I hate the A's. I hate anybody who likes the A's. It has nothing to do with the 70's and everything to do with the FOBB. I wish Frank well but would love to see the scumbag A's lose every goddamned game they play.

DaleJRFan
09-09-2006, 10:41 PM
I wonder, even with Dye and Ortiz seemingly being a two-horse race for MVP.... if the A's manage to hold onto the AL-West, does Big Hurt stand a chance at another MVP title? Nah, probably not. Personally, he's got nothin' on JD, but the writers who vote love **** like this. Team casts him off, big bickering between he and KW, starts off slow, battles back from a career-threatening injury to have a 40/100 season...

TornLabrum
09-09-2006, 10:58 PM
I hate the A's. I hate anybody who likes the A's. It has nothing to do with the 70's and everything to do with the FOBB. I wish Frank well but would love to see the scumbag A's lose every goddamned game they play.

Let's reserve this for the major league club. I have a rooting interest in the Kane County Cougars, who now lead the Beloit Snappers (Twins) in Round 2 of the Midwest League Playoffs 1-0. A win tomorrow night puts the Cougars in the final round.

They've got a third baseman named Jeff Baisley whom I wish the Sox would get. He led the Cougars this year with 22 HR and 110 RBI in 122 games.

Kub_Killer_15
09-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Dibbs

This was a hard descion who to vote for come back player of the year award but I voted for Frank Thomas instead of Jim Thome. Frank is the talk of Oakland now and glad to see he still has it in him.

balke
09-10-2006, 05:22 AM
Frank's had a great season, I'd say he's done as well as Thome, but he only has 8 doubles and about 30 less runs scored. Frank's knee is still fragile, but its good to see him crushing the ball still. Hopefully next season he does even better. I always wanted to see him hit 50 in a season.

Rockin Robin
09-10-2006, 11:49 AM
I hate anybody who likes the A's.

Get a grip.

TDog
09-10-2006, 11:59 AM
And? Believe it or not, there are people around here who don't care about what happened during the '70's, and have no problem rooting for Oakland. It's not wrong to like other American League teams. ....

Some Sox fans began hating the A's in the '70s (although the KC A's set the cornerstone for keeping the Sox down in 1967). Some began hating them in the 1980s. Others did in the 1990s. In this century, they have been owned the Sox and laughed about it, smugly. The whole FOBB gang and their icon. I'm a White Sox fan, and there is no way I'm going to root for any other AL team (excluding the pragmatic lesser of two evils situation).

I'm certainly not going to root for a team that has been treating the White Sox as their bitch for more than three decades.

I would wish Thomas well if he had played for the Cubs. I'm sure some people here would have gone the extra mile and become Cubs fans. I would find that more acceptable than all this A's-love garbage. I can't root for him when his short-term career objective is hitting home runs against the White Sox and slightly longer career objective is keeping the White Sox from returning to the World Series.

If the A's do win it all this year and takes shots at the White Sox and their fans, people here will celebrate and rationalize. I think the White Sox are bigger than one player, even if the player is Frank Thomas, who was through with the team by the time they won their only championship in our lifetimes.

Kub_Killer_15
09-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Thomas scored on a Eric Chavez homerun. Frank just keeps on scoring!

FarWestChicago
09-10-2006, 12:37 PM

Get a grip.I don't need to get a grip. I hate the A's and A's lovers. If you don't like it, I would advise you to take a hike since I'm not leaving. :tsk:

Rockin Robin
09-10-2006, 12:50 PM
I don't need to get a grip. I hate the A's and A's lovers. If you don't like it, I would advise you to take a hike since I'm not leaving. :tsk:

So you're saying it's completely logical to hate a person based on what sports team they root for?

What are you, like 13? Or just really sad and bitter?

FarWestChicago
09-10-2006, 12:53 PM
So you're saying it's completely logical to hate a person based on what sports team they root for?

What are you, like 13? Or just really sad and bitter?No, I'm not 13 or sad or bitter. This is sports hate we're talking about. Nobody is wishing death on anybody. It appears you are the one who needs to get a grip. One of my best friends is an A's fan and he's banned from this board. It's just the way things go.

TornLabrum
09-10-2006, 01:01 PM

What are you, like 13? Or just really sad and bitter?

I'll make one addition to FWC's reply to you: he also owns the message boards here, so you might not want to take a condescending attitude towards him. Consider this friendly advice.

JorgeFabregas
09-10-2006, 01:38 PM
A walk, a solo dinger, and a 2-run single. Still going nuts.

ondafarm
09-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Frank Thomas has homered in 5 straight games including the last three in Tampa's dome.

Considering that the A's go to Minnesota for three games, I think that rooting for the A's for the next three days will be permissable.

TDog
09-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Frank Thomas has homered in 5 straight games including the last three in Tampa's dome.

Considering that the A's go to Minnesota for three games, I think that rooting for the A's for the next three days will be permissable.

It falls into the "pragmatic lesser of two evils" category.

Dibbs
09-10-2006, 02:22 PM
I love Thome this year, but it's hard to believe Frank has the same amount of RBIs (97). I bet there is not one A's fan that would trade Thomas for Thome....they luuuuuv the Big Hurt.

I always hated the A's too, but this year I am rooting for them big time (when they are not playing the Sox of course). As far as the Cubs comment, I think that is the only team I would wish Frank to do bad on.

.280 avg 35 hr 97 rbi

FarWestChicago
09-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Considering that the A's go to Minnesota for three games, I think that rooting for the A's for the next three days will be permissable.Yep, that gets a pass. :D:

Heffalump
09-10-2006, 04:42 PM
The big man is on fire and playing like the Big Hurt of old. Here's to Frank crushing the Hr's and piling up the RBI's until he plays the Sox ! He's on his way to .300 average and 40 dingers for the year!

I bet it would be sweet for Frank if the A's destroyed the Sox in th eupcoming series. Hopefully, the Sox and Ozzie can FINALLY turn it on and play some ball.

ondafarm
09-10-2006, 06:25 PM
The big man is on fire and playing like the Big Hurt of old. Here's to Frank crushing the Hr's and piling up the RBI's until he plays the Sox ! He's on his way to .300 average and 40 dingers for the year!

I bet it would be sweet for Frank if the A's destroyed the Sox in th eupcoming series. Hopefully, the Sox and Ozzie can FINALLY turn it on and play some ball.

I don't think Frank has great enmity for the White Sox. Naturally, he wants to see the team he plays for win.

RKMeibalane
09-10-2006, 08:29 PM
I don't think Frank has great enmity for the White Sox. Naturally, he wants to see the team he plays for win.

Agreed. The only hostility I'm aware of where the Sox are concerned seems to have come from KW. No one else has said anything, though that could change with the Sox traveling to Oakland next weekend. Let's hope everyone is one their best behavior.

Heffalump
09-10-2006, 09:05 PM

Come on, the guy plays his whole career with the Sox and then KW dumps him how he did (yes, it was the right move baseball-wise, but KW handled it poorly IMO), and you don't think Thomas would love it if his new team helped knock the Sox out of a playoff spot? You really don't think it would be sweeter than bashing, say, the Royals?......Please.

FarWestChicago
09-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Come on, the guy plays his whole career with the Sox and then KW dumps him how he did (yes, it was the right move baseball-wise, but KW handled it poorly IMO), and you don't think Thomas would love it if his new team helped knock the Sox out of a playoff spot? You really don't think it would be sweeter than bashing, say, the Royals?......Please.I would hope Frank would not wish ill for all his old teammates. This makes no sense. Sure, he want's the FOBB's to succeed and beat the Sox if they meet in the playoffs. But, to want the Sox to fail miserably? He would be quite the petty and vindictive individual if that's the case.

Heffalump
09-10-2006, 09:17 PM
I would hope Frank would not wish ill for all his old teammates. This makes no sense. Sure, he want's the FOBB's to succeed and beat the Sox if they meet in the playoffs. But, to want the Sox to fail miserably? He would be quite the petty and vindictive individual if that's the case.

I'm not saying he wishes bad luck for any "individuals" on the Sox. I am saying that there is a big difference between beating your old team/showing them (management/Ozzie/media) that you still have it, and wishing that they fail. It's not about being vindictive, its about proving that they (once again management/Ozzie/media) were wrong.

Just my two cents.

FarWestChicago
09-10-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm not saying he wishes bad luck for any "individuals" on the Sox. I am saying that there is a big difference between beating your old team/showing them (management/Ozzie/media) that you still have it, and wishing that they fail. It's not about being vindictive, its about proving that they (once again management/Ozzie/media) were wrong.

Just my two cents.Yes, but you can do that in a positive manner by getting the FOBB's into the playoffs in the weak assed West. You don't need to pull for your friends to fail to prove that point. But, I see what you are saying and I hope Frank isn't really like that.

Heffalump
09-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Yes, but you can do that in a positive manner by getting the FOBB's into the playoffs in the weak assed West. You don't need to pull for your friends to fail to prove that point. But, I see what you are saying and I hope Frank isn't really like that.

I see your point. I'll just post one more time on this and let it go....

I'm not saying that Frank is pulling for the Sox to fail. I'm saying that it would feel good for him to lead his new team over the Sox in their upcoming games after how they parted ways. Kinda like not getting picked for the game on the playground, and then coming back the next day and beating the kids that didn't pick you. Nothing petty or vindictive about it, it just makes you feel good about yourself and your talent. Its just being competitive.

Have a good night! Hopefully the Sox can kick some Angel and A's behind this week and I won't have to pull my hair out all the way to October first! !

ondafarm
09-10-2006, 10:07 PM
I think Frank has enough class to honestly wish his old teammates well. When the two teams are playing sure, you do your best, support your new teammates and even help them. I think Frank would say "If not us, them." I don't expect the A's to throw games, in fact, I'd be surprised if Frank isn't saying "Let's see if we can help the Sox out by beating the Twinkies." And I doubt his teammates will have much arguement with that.

Frank may have an arguement with KW and maybe even OG. But never your old teammates.

My old teammates, I root for them 100% of the time. A couple of guys I caught, they got traded to other teams. More than once I saw one of those guys pitching against my old team. Even when I was sitting in a team box, I'd root for my old teammate. Of course, when that pitcher was lifted, I'd root for the Dragons to crush the relief.

DSpivack
09-11-2006, 12:24 AM
Wow, just noticed that Frank has been CRUSHING the ball thus far in September. I never thought he and Thome would put up similar #'s, looks like they will.

TDog
09-11-2006, 03:21 AM
Agreed. The only hostility I'm aware of where the Sox are concerned seems to have come from KW. No one else has said anything, though that could change with the Sox traveling to Oakland next weekend. Let's hope everyone is one their best behavior.

Best behavior? Well, Guillen says in Monday's Tribune that Thomas isn't a great ballplayer (although a great hitter), and Eric Chavez said in the Contra Costa newspaper this weekend that this is a big series for Thomas after what he went through while playing for the Sox. I wonder where he heard Thomas had trouble with the Sox.

Frank Thomas may have the class people attribute to him in this thread, but he has never articulated class through the media.

Heffalump
09-11-2006, 07:42 AM
I think Frank has enough class to honestly wish his old teammates well. When the two teams are playing sure, you do your best, support your new teammates and even help them. I think Frank would say "If not us, them." I don't expect the A's to throw games, in fact, I'd be surprised if Frank isn't saying "Let's see if we can help the Sox out by beating the Twinkies." And I doubt his teammates will have much arguement with that.

Frank may have an arguement with KW and maybe even OG. But never your old teammates.

My old teammates, I root for them 100% of the time. A couple of guys I caught, they got traded to other teams. More than once I saw one of those guys pitching against my old team. Even when I was sitting in a team box, I'd root for my old teammate. Of course, when that pitcher was lifted, I'd root for the Dragons to crush the relief.

In my opinion, in it not a question of class. I am not saying he is putting a voo-doo curse on them and dancing around the locker room when the Sox lose. I don't think you are really undestanding my points.

Plus, I love Frank and he has always been my favorite player for many different reasons. I think the Chicago media gives him a really bad rap, but Frank is not Mother Teresa, nor is any other ballplayer. None of them are going to say "Aw, shucks! We lost, but golly gee, I sure hope Kenny, Ozzie, and my old team can win the World Series again without me!" It is just pure human nature to enjoy it a little bit more when you knock out the team that dumped you. Its nothing personal. Oh well, It's just fun to talk about it, even if I can;t get my point across.

Here's to the Big Man continuing his resurgence as an All-Natural Superstar!! And here's to the Sox getting their heads our of their rears, so no reality has to come out of my comments!!