PDA

View Full Version : Korean Cartoonist profiles Pierzynski

Baby Fisk
06-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Is there a translator in the house?

linky (http://news.naver.com/sports/index.nhn?category=mlb&menu=cartoon&mode=view&seq=265&office_id=223&article_id=0000000133)

Vernam
06-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Geez, how the hell did you find that?! I'd love to know what it's saying, though the Barrett panel is pretty self-explanatory. :cool:

Vernam

goon
06-02-2006, 11:45 AM
from the animations drawn, it seems as though it is highlighting AJ's more "controversial" moments so i doubt it is anything too flattering.

TheDarkGundam
06-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Looks like it's the same guy who made this one:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/TheDarkGundam/bigguy2.jpg

spiffie
06-02-2006, 12:46 PM
I just want to know why the hell AJ is wearing a cape in the part with Barrett?! The panel depicting the AJ for Liriano/Nathan/Bonser trade is cute.

Thomes Forearm
06-02-2006, 12:57 PM
I just want to know why the hell AJ is wearing a cape in the part with Barrett?! The panel depicting the AJ for Liriano/Nathan/Bonser trade is cute.

AJ is also depicted wearing earmuffs with said cape.

when i think of superheroes, the first thing in my mind is "earmuffs." thank the gods im not the only one.

Baby Fisk
06-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Is the middle top panel supposed to be a take on the Scarface movie posters?

chaerulez
06-02-2006, 01:01 PM
I'm Korean, but I can't read the language, sorry... but who is that suppose to be in the last panel, Demitri Young?

SweetnesSox
06-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Is the middle top panel supposed to be a take on the Scarface movie posters?

good call, it sure is.

who is that suppose to be in the last panel, Demitri Young?

yup sure looks like it.

gobears1987
06-02-2006, 01:09 PM
from the animations drawn, it seems as though it is highlighting AJ's more "controversial" moments so i doubt it is anything too flattering.The cartoonists who draws these said he is a Twins fan so I'm sure he loved AJ when he was a Twinkie. Alot of Twins fans still love the guy.

SOXintheBURGH
06-02-2006, 01:47 PM
:rolling:

I love these Korean cartoons. We've been getting them for a few seasons now.

southside rocks
06-02-2006, 02:18 PM
E-mail it to Man Soo Lee and ask him to translate it for us!

bludupree
06-02-2006, 03:37 PM
I can get a translation from my girlfriend in a couple of hours

jongarlandlover
06-02-2006, 04:24 PM
haha. that's amusing. i just wish i could read it...:tongue:

pearso66
06-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Route of the villain, it blooms, the position skis

That is the headline. Unfortunately, I can't copy and paste anythign else from it. There is translator at http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr , that I use for multiple things. I didn't know it had Korean too.

Baby Fisk
06-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Route of the villain, it blooms, the position skis

position skis = pierzynski? :?:

(The grey dog quacks at night. Bus station on my mind. The man loves his onions.)

gashegone72
06-02-2006, 05:23 PM
I had a Korean friend translate, and the pictures do a pretty good job of describing what is written. The story is titled something about AJ being a "gangster", and it begins with him as a Twin as a fairly likeable guy from the "country". Then he gets traded to "the big city" to play for the Giants, and becomes a "gambler". In the scene with Tomko, apparently he is asking AJ 20 min before gametime to play catch with him, but AJ, too busy in his card game, tells him to throw the ball off the wall for a while. Then he gets traded to the White Sox, and there seems to be some reference to them not being white, i.e., pure, but rather black, i.e., well suited for a gangster. Then comes the controversial play with Anaheim, and people really start to not like him. In the scene with Barrett, AJ is saying the he likes to be in the action but doesn't like to be an instigator. Finally, he is talking trash to a Detroit hitter who tells him to watch out because people are out to get him.

I know this is rough, but that was the gist that I gathered from my friend. Keep in mind that she doesn't know about baseball, so the translation was pretty rough in spots. Basically, it's a story not too dissimilar from how the American media portrays AJ.

Mr. White Sox
06-02-2006, 05:33 PM
The scene with Tomko's picture is AJ reportedly asking a Sox pitcher (which one was it? I forgot) to plunk Brett Tomko for $1000 (is that right too? or was it more? less? whatev). I love the Liriano/Bonser/Nathan panel as well. Too funny.

gashegone72
06-02-2006, 07:37 PM
The scene with Tomko's picture is AJ reportedly asking a Sox pitcher (which one was it? I forgot) to plunk Brett Tomko for $1000 (is that right too? or was it more? less? whatev). I love the Liriano/Bonser/Nathan panel as well. Too funny.

I think it was him offering a reward if somebody hit a HR off of Tomko, and if I remember correctly somebody did. Wasn't it Borchard? All I got from my friend was "reward", so that's what my guess is...

KRS1
06-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Got to love the whole 'Scarface', "Say hello to the bad guy," thing. Really, good stuff.

"You need people like me so you can point your fingers and say 'hey there's the bad guy!' So what does that make you? Good guys? Don't kid yourselves. You're no better'n me. You just know how to hide, and how to lie. Me I don't have that problem. I always tell the truth, even when I lie. So say good night to the bad guy... You're never gonna see a bad guy like me again."
-Antonio Montana

southside rocks
06-03-2006, 10:41 AM
In the scene with Tomko, apparently he is asking AJ 20 min before gametime to play catch with him, but AJ, too busy in his card game, tells him to throw the ball off the wall for a while.

"...the Oakland Tribune quoted anonymous players saying they would not mind seeing Pierzynski traded. One player called him a "cancer." "The pitchers aren't happy with him," one player said. "If they can trade him, that would be fine with me."
The paper reported that several pitchers questioned Pierzynski's work ethic, citing his refusal to quit a card game Wednesday when Brett Tomko asked him to go over Atlanta hitters before his start. Pierzynski also reportedly criticized Giants pitchers to the Padres' Phil Nevin as Nevin was hitting."

From an article on 05/01/2004 A.J.'s not catching on

by Henry Schulman, Staff Writer SF Chronicle

ma-gaga
06-03-2006, 07:42 PM
And it was $100 for every homer hit off of Tomko.

Borchard hit one off him (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=250307104). Brilliant.

:cool:

buehrle4cy05
06-03-2006, 10:20 PM
I just saw this today...I think that one with AJ and Joe B. about Tomko is even funnier because you know what it's about but you don't know what they're saying. That whole thing was hilarious. :rolling: