PDA

View Full Version : Pierre?

Hawkeroo1980
06-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Anyone catch Offman on the MNMS talking about kenny williams borderline tampering of Juan pierre (assuming because he wants him)?

infohawk
06-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Anyone catch Offman on the MNMS talking about kenny williams borderline tampering of Juan pierre (assuming because he wants him)?
What did Offman say? Mike Murphy threw out a listener question yesterday for discussion purposes along the lines of "would you trade Brian Anderson straight up for Juan Pierre?" It was just to stimulate call-ins and discussion. Later on, when KW was interviewed, he was told about the discussion theme and was careful to say that, while he had nothing against Juan Pierre, the Sox were going to stick with their plan and that Brian Anderson is going to be a good player.

SoxFan76
06-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Murph was talking about this for awhile. (as you said)

I don't know though....I have faith in Anderson. If not this year, he will be a great player. On the other hand, this isn't a team in the middle of a rebuilding phase. They're built to win. Now. Pierre could be more helpful.

On the OTHER hand (I have three hands), you are sacrificing defense for offense...the exact opposite of what this team was built on. On the OTHER hand (oh yeah, forgot about that 4th hand), he gives you speed at the bottom of the order. Crede/Uribe/Pierre leading into Pods and Iguchi looks pretty sweet on paper.

I've gone over every scenario...I still don't know if I would make the trade. I'll get back to work now...

infohawk
06-02-2006, 10:10 AM
If somehow KW could structure a deal for Pierre that included Howry, my interest would jump significantly.

russ99
06-02-2006, 10:20 AM
This sounds way too much like George Bell for Sammy Sosa (at the time) right now. Anderson's gonna be a good player. Pierre's a free agent at the end of the season. No way.

Now if Carl Crawford were available...

Craig Grebeck
06-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Juan Pierre is a horrible, horrible player. Having two slap-hitting, noodle-armed outfielders would set this team back considerably.

cbrownson13
06-02-2006, 10:57 AM
He's hitting .240 with an OBP of .270. How would that help at all?

Sure he can steal bases, but he has to be on base to do that.

He is not a good defensive centerfielder and has no arm.

We already have a better replacement on this team in Mackowiak.

No way I trade a young Brian Anderson who is already stellar in the field with room for improvement at the plate for a guy who's best offensive years are probably behind him and isn't so good in the field.

SoxFan76
06-02-2006, 11:20 AM
He's hitting .240 with an OBP of .270. How would that help at all?

Sure he can steal bases, but he has to be on base to do that.

He is not a good defensive centerfielder and has no arm.

We already have a better replacement on this team in Mackowiak.

No way I trade a young Brian Anderson who is already stellar in the field with room for improvement at the plate for a guy who's best offensive years are probably behind him and isn't so good in the field.

But you have to remember, everyone sucks when they're on the Cubs. It's a.....CURSE!

Hawkeroo1980
06-02-2006, 11:26 AM
But you have to remember, everyone sucks when they're on the Cubs. It's a.....CURSE!

Forget about "curses".

I wouldn't give away anderson.....maybe if they throw in Eyre and a prospect.

However....a mid level prospect for pierre would not upset me at all. See if he could get away from the carnival on the Northside and get into the game with a real team and most importantly.....a REAL coaching staff.

Problem is....what wouyld you do with Rob?

Randar68
06-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Forget about "curses".

I wouldn't give away anderson.....maybe if they throw in Eyre and a prospect.

However....a mid level prospect for pierre would not upset me at all. See if he could get away from the carnival on the Northside and get into the game with a real team and most importantly.....a REAL coaching staff.

Problem is....what wouyld you do with Rob?

Hell, I'd rather have Corey Patterson and they GAVE him away...

Meixner007
06-02-2006, 11:30 AM

No such thing as a curse.

Anyways Offman is a douche. KW almost seemed taken aback by how stupid that trade sounds. I echo the sentiments of Pierre being an awful awful baseball player. I'm fine with Anderson, he'll turn it around.

SoxFan76
06-02-2006, 11:32 AM
No such thing as a curse.

I didn't think the teal was necessary, but apparently it was.

White Sox Randy
06-02-2006, 12:15 PM
What The **** Could Juan Pierre Do For The Sox ?

I'd Rather Have Corey Patterson.

Better Yet, Keep Anderson In Center And Wait For Him To Hit. He Is Not Hurting The Team - Bad Pitching Is.

veeter
06-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Juan Pierre is a horrible, horrible player. Having two slap-hitting, noodle-armed outfielders would set this team back considerably. Well said and freakin' hilarious.

Tekijawa
06-02-2006, 01:24 PM
If I'm not mistaken Pierre is also in the last year of his contract... I don't think I'd make the trade with a gun to my head.

JB98
06-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Juan Pierre is a horrible, horrible player. Having two slap-hitting, noodle-armed outfielders would set this team back considerably.

BINGO! I applauded when I read this post.

Credefan21
06-02-2006, 01:33 PM
I like Anderson just as much as other people do, but I am not on his sack like some people are. The Sox need to win this year. Yeah yeah Anderson will improve we hear that all the time and he more than likely will. Right now though he is not and he is hurting the team so I think that we should try to get a better offensive center fielder right now. We can't just watch the season slowly slip away just because we are trying to have faith in a guy.

White Sox Randy
06-02-2006, 01:57 PM
We're not "trying to have faith in a guy". We are trying to have the position manned extremely well defensively and save the team runs and keep our pitchers from melting down.

And, with a lineup of 7 excellent offensive players, we can afford a guy at 9 that may not hit much.

oeo
06-02-2006, 01:59 PM
I like Anderson just as much as other people do, but I am not on his sack like some people are. The Sox need to win this year. Yeah yeah Anderson will improve we hear that all the time and he more than likely will. Right now though he is not and he is hurting the team so I think that we should try to get a better offensive center fielder right now. We can't just watch the season slowly slip away just because we are trying to have faith in a guy.
I think Mackowiak's defense is hurting the team more than Anderson's offense is. Give Anderson the AB's, keep Mackowiak on the bench where he is supposed to be, and I have a good feeling things will work out. Juan Pierre is definately not the answer, and I definately do not want to give up a player like Brian Anderson to the Flubs and watch him become one of the better centerfielders in the game there.

FedEx227
06-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Replace Carl Crawford's name with Juan Pierre and I'm sold.

PatK
06-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Despite his horrible batting average, Anderson's OBP is nearly identical to Pierre's.

FedEx227
06-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Which shows you BA HAS the ability to get on base through walks and other means outside of a hit.

Sargeant79
06-02-2006, 05:45 PM
I think Mackowiak's defense is hurting the team more than Anderson's offense is. Give Anderson the AB's, keep Mackowiak on the bench where he is supposed to be, and I have a good feeling things will work out. Juan Pierre is definately not the answer, and I definately do not want to give up a player like Brian Anderson to the Flubs and watch him become one of the better centerfielders in the game there.

Agreed. Anderson's defense is too valuable. Mackowiak should be getting no more than two starts a week in center.

As for the Carl Crawford questions, I would agree 100%...he would be a great addition, but I'm pretty sure it would cost more than Brian Anderson to get him. And by the way...didn't he hurt himself last night while arguing a call?

All things considered, I think having patience with BA while he learns to hit at the major league level and reaping the benefits of his defense is our best option right now.

Banix12
06-02-2006, 06:17 PM
There is only one commodity that the Cubs have that the sox should trade for and it is not Juan Pierre. I want some of their middle relievers. Howry and Eyre won't be available and they make too much anyway.

But I'll gladly take Scott Williamson off their hands and even some of the young guys like Wuertz, Novoa and Aardsma have a lot of talent that a good pitching coach like Cooper might be able to unlock.

However I might look into Juan Pierre as an extra OF as part of a middle reliever trade if they can get him thrown in for a mid-level prospect. Play him as a 4th OF and speed guy off the bench. I know Ozzie likes him from his days in Florida.

Mohoney
06-03-2006, 12:07 PM
I think that Pierre will be available for lesser prospects than Brian Anderson come July 31, and I also think that he will have a good 2nd half for somebody. However, I don't see him as a fit here unless he came REALLY cheap, or unless Ozzie loves the guy.